Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I haven't upgraded my CPU (i7-4770k) since 2013 when I bought it. Never felt I needed to. A whole system upgrade would probably be advised before trying a new CPU I bet, right? Doesn't seem worth investing too much more into this machine outside of quality of life things. Would a new CPU actually give any real benefit in something like gaming?

Unrelated but I just found this thing called core control. I used to always set my CPU to performance via a terminal but this nice little yoke is letting me select profiles per application. I actually just turned the fans to max and it sounds like a small vacuum... and you know what? I honestly don't mind it! I might just leave it like that lol. Or is that bad to have max fans all the time? I honestly just feel better knowing that it's running as cool as it can when I'm streaming n' such, just to rule out that as a possible reason for frame drops if they happen. I can't really hear them once I have my earphones in, either. I already have an air purifier in the gaff so I guess I'm used to this sorta sound.
    If you're streaming your gameplay, investing in a modern 6-8 core Ryzen is a decent idea; will help prevent frame drops on both your & viewer side.

AFAIK there is no downside to running max fans, other than your dust filters clogging faster. :pac: But good fans, e.g. Arctic P12/P14, Noctua, etc. can provide maximum airflow while giving only a gentle whoosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Question: the i3 10100 is listed as only having support for two memory channels. This this mean I wouldn't be able to use all four ram sockets on the motherboard? Or does it just mean that if all four sockets are populated, the four sticks of ram would work in dual channel mode but at the capacity of all four sticks combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If you're streaming your gameplay, investing in a modern 6-8 core Ryzen is a decent idea; will help prevent frame drops on both your & viewer side.

AFAIK there is no downside to running max fans, other than your dust filters clogging faster. :pac: But good fans, e.g. Arctic P12/P14, Noctua, etc. can provide maximum airflow while giving only a gentle whoosh.

I'd second this but if you have good internet. just push the bit rate to 7000 mps @ 900p with nvenc and its almost impossible to tell the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Inviere wrote: »
    Question: the i3 10100 is listed as only having support for two memory channels. This this mean I wouldn't be able to use all four ram sockets on the motherboard? Or does it just mean that if all four sockets are populated, the four sticks of ram would work in dual channel mode but at the capacity of all four sticks combined?

It means 4 sticks of ram would work but the pairs of ram would share effective bandwidth. Ram is a bus system, bandwidth is limited by the channel, shared amongst dimms and ranks within the sticks.

So a dual rank Dimm is effectively the same as two single rank dimms on the same channel.

Two dual rank dimms on the same channel, is really a 4 rank memory layout the same as a quad rank dimm. I don't think the memory controllers on current chips go past quad rank.

No need to bring double-rank into this, it's just confusing.

The i3-10300 will run 2 OR 4 sticks in dual-channel mode.

• Advertisement

So for example x4 sticks of 8GB....it'd see and be able to use 32GB but via dual channel as opposed to quad channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Inviere wrote: »
    So for example x4 sticks of 8GB....it'd see and be able to use 32GB but via dual channel as opposed to quad channel?

Yes, but that is the way it is for every board and CPU in the mainstream for years. The only boards with quad channel are HEDT like threadrippers for AMD and i9-10980XE and similar for Intel.

Yes, but that is the way it is for every board and CPU in the mainstream for years. The only boards with quad channel are HEDT like threadrippers for AMD and i9-10980XE and similar for Intel.

Ah, I didn't realise the only HEDT's supported quad-channel! I'm looking to spec a small Unraid server...and this one requires Plex transcoding to maybe 3-4 concurrent people so my two options are Ryzen with a discreet gpu like a 1060 or somesuch...or an Intel cpu with quicksync.

From what I can gather, the Intel route offers the best power efficiency when compared to the Ryzen with gpu route...and I'm not quite sure whether 16GB will be enough for transcoding into ram for that amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ultrflat wrote: »
    I'd second this but if you have good internet. just push the bit rate to 7000 mps @ 900p with nvenc and its almost impossible to tell the difference!
    I'm using FFMPEG VAAPI. This means most of the work is GPU side, right? Would a CPU change even make a difference? Also most my frame drops come from running games @ 1440p (stream is 720p). As long as I play lower and cap the FPS to 60, OBS seems a lot more capable of keeping up now. I'm not even sure if this motherboard would be able to take modern CPUs anyway.
    AFAIK there is no downside to running max fans, other than your dust filters clogging faster. pacman.gif But good fans, e.g. Arctic P12/P14, Noctua, etc. can provide maximum airflow while giving only a gentle whoosh.
    Yeah like I said though I really don't mind how loud it is as long as I can't hear it through my earphones once I get stuck into a game. I did turn it down to 80% instead of 100% fans as my mic was picking it up just a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That's not fair, I held back. I didn't even mention the different trace methodologies that boards can use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Anyone know what one long beep and two short beeps means on an MSI BIOS for AM4 when posting? Google is giving conflicting information and most of it is a decade old.

.G. wrote: »
    Anyone know what one long beep and two short beeps means on an MSI BIOS for AM4 when posting? Google is giving conflicting information and most of it is a decade old.

Have you still the manual? It would be in there. Or even download the exact one for your board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Has anyone ordered anything from outside the EU recently? Do An Post allow you pay the extra fees/VAT due at the door with a credit card, or is it still cash only?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered anything from outside the EU recently? Do An Post allow you pay the extra fees/VAT due at the door with a credit card, or is it still cash only?

I could be wrong but afaik the postman gives you a note telling you to go to the post office to pick it up.

Have you still the manual? It would be in there. Or even download the exact one for your board.

Ta was in there alright. Seems its Video error. Remove and reseat the GPU it says or try a known working GPU. This is my sons PC that gave me all the trouble recently for months on end, now it seems the GPU is possibly dying! The hits just keep on coming:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I could be wrong but afaik the postman gives you a note telling you to go to the post office to pick it up.

Cheers. I had to pay cash at the door the last time I had something like that delivered, but it was several years ago now.

Hope I didn't F up my GPU. I have a silent fan profile just for browsing and for some reason I left it on while playing watchdogs 2. I was reaching behind computer and the GPU output sockets were red hot. I was like f**k. Quickly opening up radeon settings and ramped the fans up.

Hope I didn't F up my GPU. I have a silent fan profile just for browsing and for some reason I left it on while playing watchdogs 2. I was reaching behind computer and the GPU output sockets were red hot. I was like f**k. Quickly opening up radeon settings and ramped the fans up.

It's grand.

These chips have temperature protection.
    I once disconnected the fan on the AIO cooling a 980Ti and didn't notice for a day!

If I'm selling an i7 6700k, mobo and 16gb ram what would be a good price to expect? The ryzen 3300x has obviously muddied the water somewhat but for some reason these old i7s still seem to be getting sold for mad money on adverts, or at least they're listed for mad money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Homelander

People still want the CPU as it's a hassle free upgrade.

Be harder shift it as a bundle for a good price.

Good chance you'd get more for the CPU on Ebay than Adverts too.

Probably get €200ish for the 6700K anyway.

• Advertisement

Wow mad money! Wouldn't be too keen on ebay though cos you get the money via paypal so your always open to a claim by the buyer that the CPU didn't arrive or doesn't work or whatever.

CEX selling them for 180 quid but only buying for 77.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What do we all think about the impending death of CISC? Just as we're applauding AMDs return we seem to be on a precipice of a sea change to RISC (ARM) dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

CISC certainly never featured much in the mobile world. Intel got one of their Atoms into maybe 1 or 2 phones that were never popular or even sold outside China. Otherwise it's all been RISC stuff mainly in the form of ARM.

Laptops are mainly CISC, but there's musings about changing that. There's Chromebooks that run on ARM processers, then there's the prospect of Apple rolling their own processers for Macbooks at some point.

Desktops and Servers are still all mainly CISC (x86) though. I was actually under the impression that in the Server world ARM had become a little less relevant thanks to AMD's Epyc lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Have my Lg27gl850 1440-144hz monitor coming tomorrow and aio coming this week so build sorted.

Can anyone recommend a decent mechanical keyboard and mouse that are not mad expensive?

I was looking online reviews for the Havit 398L and the Red Dragon K552 which had great reviews and also looked at a few razors in gamestop as I have credit there.

Need a mouse too and might go logitech wireless.

Any recommendations on keyboard and mouse?

Thanks for the advice too.

I'm one of those people who believes in having a good mouse but is indifferent to keyboards as long as they're decent. Though obviously it would depend entirely on your needs and uses - I pretty much only play FPS games.

My favorite mouse by far is the G502 Lightspeed. It is somewhat pricey but I think it's 100% worth it and I'd nearly cheap out on the keyboard to allow for it.

My keyboard is some €50 generic mechanical thing, but I've had it about 2 or 3 years and still going strong. Actually I believe it's this one from Curry's for €50. Has zero features but just works, gets used for several hours a day usually and still going A1 after a few years.

Speaking of Currys this seems a reasonable deal for €99
    G502 Hero Mouse + G512 Mechanical Keyboard

Dunno about the keyboard but can't be too bad and the mouse is definitely a good one and costs about €60 on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Homelander wrote: »
    Speaking of Currys this seems a reasonable deal for €99
    G502 Hero Mouse + G512 Mechanical Keyboard

Dunno about the keyboard but can't be too bad and the mouse is definitely a good one and costs about €60 on its own.

Cheers! I'll have a look at those on YouTube later and check out the reviews. Appreciate the info very much. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Quick question guys. Looking at that 1440p 144hz monitor in the bargains thread. Would a Ryzen 5 1600 and Vega 56 be enough to drive decent frames at that resolution?

I'm looking at upgrading the rig next year, but it seems like a nice monitor to build around. Currently using a TN 1080p LG 144hz monitor.

• Advertisement

Advertisement