Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,932 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ya 7 days to make up ones mind. At least gives me some time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Pretty cool! If you use the X that is.

https://i.imgur.com/YAohnvS.mp4

YAohnvS.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Good timing, I've a new cpu arriving today. My thermal paste recommends a "tiny pin sized amount and spread with a cotton swap" but the X from that mp4 seems to do more for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Good timing, I've a new cpu arriving today. My thermal paste recommends a "tiny pin sized amount and spread with a cotton swap" but the X from that mp4 seems to do more for sure.

A cotton swab? That's awful advice. That will leave fibers. I usually spread it with a bit of plastic over my finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

BloodBath wrote: »
    A cotton swab? That's awful advice. That will leave fibers. I usually spread it with a bit of plastic over my finger.
    I usually just use a credit card or the plastic case the cpu is stored/protected in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Inviere

I never spread it manually, & always leave it to cooler clamping pressure to spread it (having put a pea sized blob in the middle of the cpu). After seeing that image above, the x-pattern definitely seems to be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

YAohnvS.gif

Not to be a bore because its a good gif but at the end of the day how it looks under a piece of glass doesnt really matter its temps that matter so the only relevant info would be how each pattern performs temp wise.
    I'm pretty sure Gamers Nexus have done a video on it and the difference is minimal. Well thats iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do I learn? Hell no I don't. Disaster with €70 AIOs so I go and buy a set of €50 AIOs. Genius I am I tell ya.

HKiH8tRl.jpg

Yeah I usually don't spread it with anything myself, just leave a blob and let the heatsink do the spreading. It's just what it says on the packaging for the thermal paste i got, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut in this case, liquid metal stuff.

Oh I've never used that. Maybe not as bad for that as it's not as sticky but I'd still avoid potentially getting cotton fibers in there.

Saying that it would probably make little to no difference anyway.

• Advertisement

Oh I've never used that. Maybe not as bad for that as it's not as sticky but I'd still avoid potentially getting cotton fibers in there.

Saying that it would probably make little to no difference anyway.

Yeah I'd hate the idea of it as well, though I've just actually checked the contents of the packaging and it seems the cotton swab bit refers to the one they included which seems to be a pretty densely compacted black version of what you'd normally think of a cotton swab, so it looks like it wouldn't leave much fibres behind.

I'll still probably not use it though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

With liquid metal you need to spread it over the HS yourself, fully. It will no spread properly under pressure from the cooler i.e. do not use any of the patterns in the gif above

Hyzepher wrote: »
    With liquid metal you need to spread it over the HS yourself, fully. It will no spread properly under pressure from the cooler i.e. do not use any of the patterns in the gif above

Yeah I learned today it behaves very differently, it's more like mercury or some kinda hydrophobic material. They were not kidding about the pin sized amount as well, put too much and it can spill onto the motherboard very easily. It eats into aluminium as well so you gotta be very careful with it and what kinda heatsink you're using.

It might take a few trys to get this thing right, not sure its really worth all this hassle.

Sanity check - I'm looking for a PSU for a small Unraid server (4-6 hdd's, i3 10100 for transcoding using quicksync, ssd for cache). This seems a no brainer - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07WQYM74W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Any thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It might take a few trys to get this thing right, not sure its really worth all this hassle.

Unless your going for every possible hertz in a overclock, it really doesn't seem like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inviere wrote: »
    Sanity check - I'm looking for a PSU for a small Unraid server (4-6 hdd's, i3 10100 for transcoding using quicksync, ssd for cache). This seems a no brainer - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07WQYM74W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Any thoughts on it?

Slightly overkill but it does have a 10yr warranty.

be quiet! Pure Power 11 400 W (€63) and would still be more than enough. Only 5yr warranty though.

Or any of these with 7yr+ warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

New LG27GL850 arrived this morning. Verrrrry slick monitor. No bezels which is really nice, and the colour and sharpness are world's ahead of my previous 1080p TN.

Does anyone have a link to a good calibration guide?

This is a useful site for some of it anyway. There's only so much you can do without a hardware calibration tool though.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

I find Reddit a good place to find stuff like that. Did so with my monitor when i got it and found a few.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, to be honest it looks astonishing out of the box. Happy out for a while anyway! Now to not buy a new GPU...

Any noticeable IPS glow ?

jebidiah wrote: »
    Cheers lads, to be honest it looks astonishing out of the box. Happy out for a while anyway! Now to not buy a new GPU...

The main tests to use are the black level, white saturation and contrast. You should be able to see all of the boxes. Also use a white background to try and spot any color seeping through. Most monitors the blue is too high. With mine the green was too high.

Get those spot on and it will look even better.

Brightness should not affect any of these. You can set brightness as high as you want. Contrast is the main thing and RGB settings. Also black level and gamma settings if they are there.

I'd say your first port of call with that monitor should be to lower the brightness. Factory setting is 100%,ive settled on 45% as I play usually at night.

Set it to whatever is comfortable for sure but 45% on an IPS panel is pretty dim.

They are already fairly low on the scale of panel technology brightness.

I use 100% in strong daylight, down to 70-80% at night but I also use dark themes for everything so I'm not looking at white backgrounds all the time.

Factory settings also tend to be 50%, not 100% so they can achieve better energy ratings.

Any noticeable IPS glow ?

What should I be looking for?

Brightness is 100% default, and I've let it at that for now, will see what its like in evening time, but its quite bright here in the room im in all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

jebidiah wrote: »
    What should I be looking for?

If you can't see anything don't go looking for it. Depending on how much you care you might not be able to unsee it.

The GL850 comes set with Gamer 1 profile as default which has the brightness at 100%.

Unless I was trying to use HDR or was working in a very bright room I really don't see the need for 100% brightness. These panels don't have the peak brightness for HDR to give the full effect anyway so that use case is a waste as well.

In a room with a lamp on and not the main light 45% is perfect for me but I do agree its not a setting that has one "right" setting,its going to depend on context of use.

mp3guy wrote: »
    If you can't see anything don't go looking for it. Depending on how much you care you might not be able to unsee it.

Yea. Take this advice. Ignorance is bliss.

You're right though. The more you look (or listen) for things, the greater they will be to you.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a concern of mine going IPS so I checked but tbh if you don't know what BLB or glow is dont go looking for it.

Advertisement