Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,864 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Headshot wrote: »
    I currently have the SteelSeries Arctis 5, RGB Illumination Gaming Headset and had it for some time, a great headset

if I can get the same with the SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset ill be delighted

Have the Arctis 7 set for about a year and they are just dandy. I'm sure there is better but for the price I think they are hard to beat.

I use them almost every night as the ability to add extra sound sources as described in this clip is very useful feature. I've a bluetooth transmitter/receiver permanently plugged into mine paired to my phone and laptop. The headset then has a simple dial at the back to vary the volume between my PC and the external source. Very handy if you half listen to TV/Youtube while noodling on your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Enermax died.

I'd just get two noctua tower coolers but the Amazon lead time is near 3wks now.

nXOyS5u_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    Enermax died.

I'd just get two noctua tower coolers but the Amazon lead time is near 3wks now.

Pretty sure whatever logistics they have with an-post is beyond strained.

Overlockers/Scan would be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Pretty sure whatever logistics they have with an-post is beyond strained.

Overlockers/Scan would be a better bet.

Did you try changing delivery to parcel motel? Seems like things are dispatched about a week earlier to the UK than ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Enermax died.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

anyone here have any thoughts on doing the thing where you use a virtual machine and pass through gpu, peripherals etc?

Looking at replacing my current pc and the few other servers and stuff running here just with one threadripper pc?

I have done passthough with pci devices in proxmox and the setup wouldn't be the big deal about it, just more in terms of weird latency / lag spikes etc?

Would love to have one massive case with room for expansion with a 3970x threadripper (or something) and loads of ram, lots of storage as ZFS, opnsense, tvheadend, plex, all that stuff, sandboxed vm for working from home, normal windows 10 vm with gpu etc passed through, and another linux vm.

Eggs in one basket thing not a huge deal since I would be keeping the stuff it's replacing, it would just all be turned off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

anyone here have any thoughts on doing the thing where you use a virtual machine and pass through gpu, peripherals etc?

Looking at replacing my current pc and the few other servers and stuff running here just with one threadripper pc?

I have done passthough with pci devices in proxmox and the setup wouldn't be the big deal about it, just more in terms of weird latency / lag spikes etc?

Would love to have one massive case with room for expansion with a 3970x threadripper (or something) and loads of ram, lots of storage as ZFS, opnsense, tvheadend, plex, all that stuff, sandboxed vm for working from home, normal windows 10 vm with gpu etc passed through, and another linux vm.

Eggs in one basket thing not a huge deal since I would be keeping the stuff it's replacing, it would just all be turned off...

I looked into it before with UNRAID.
    It's great in theory but when the slightest thing goes wrong it required stopping the array and then rebooting UNRAID.
    Very frustrating experience to be honest.
    This was about 2-3 years ago so there might be better solutions available now.

A bit hard to understand, but tl;dw DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE PSU!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lads can I get some office/gaming chair recommendations. Budget under €200 with delivery option.

Even second hand if it's a high quality chair. Been looking out for something from Herman Miller but cheap ones are gold dust.

I'm guessing the racing type chair is more gimmicky. I want something comfortable and durable for extended use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

BloodBath wrote: »
    Lads can I get some office/gaming chair recommendations. Budget under €200 with delivery option.

Even second hand if it's a high quality chair. Been looking out for something from Herman Miller but cheap ones are gold dust.

I'm guessing the racing type chair is more gimmicky. I want something comfortable and durable for extended use.

Ikea have a great one with neck support to, My only gripe about ikea is there foam it 's pretty appalling.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Ikea have a great one with neck support to, My only gripe about ikea is there foam it 's pretty appalling.

The Markus I guess? Has been long recommended. Is that still the best sub €200 new chair? How has it held up for those owning 1 a few years?

I would like the arm rests adjustable as my table is a little high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Markus I guess? Has been long recommended. Is that still the best sub €200 new chair? How has it held up for those owning 1 a few years?

I would like the arm rests adjustable as my table is a little high.
    Markus here too. Upgraded from an old Viking Berlin.

Paid £130 for the leather version back in Nov 2016, seems to have gone up a bit since then but I certainly don't regret it. Doubly so after a few months of WFH where I've been in it for far longer than I really should be in a 24hr period. :o

If it fell apart tomorrow I'd either replace it or try my luck here.

can't really remember what I paid for mine but I got 3 aerons for I think less than 600 so it can be done, but now is probably the worst time in history to find a cheap herman miller :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Correct. Don't do this.

I hear lots of good things about the Markus as well.

I'd say you could hold out for a bit, and there will be Aerons and the like flooding the market in a couple of months with businesses that can't re-open from all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I have a Markus, but am looking to change it. Saw a place doing refurbished Steelcase Leaps earlier in the year, but they've been out of stock for some time now due to the current situation. Raging that I didn't go for it back then.

can't really remember what I paid for mine but I got 3 aerons for I think less than 600 so it can be done, but now is probably the worst time in history to find a cheap herman miller :(

Paid €280 for mine which was overpaying frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

Have had a Markus for around 8 years and it's been great. Comfort wise it's still holding up albeit the headrest leatherette is beginning to peel off in places. Highly recommend it!

Paid €280 for mine which was overpaying frankly.

Not good?

Not good?

Nah its solid, just it was probably a B (few scuffs etc) and they could be got for about €200 then in that kinda condition. I just needed a chair and wasnt bothered trekking around the place.

Once you go to a decent chair like a HM or similar youll never go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

For my gaming/office chair I went and got a refurbished Herman Miller Aeron last year. It's amazing, I can sit in it all day and I never have issues. We have them at work too.

Ridiculously out of the budget range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I've managed to set up GPU passthrough of a GTX 750 Ti into a Windows 10 VM. It worked well enough, in the sense that the few games I tried ran pretty well but I did get a few bluescreens. This was on Debian 10 with KVM/Qemu so it was mostly command line work to set it up. What can make it difficult is that Nvidia doesn't want you to passthrough Geforce cards to a VM so there's a few tricks to getting that working. AMD on the other hand doesn't care so doing it with a Radeon is easier.

It was fun to get it up and running but for gaming, you'll be infinitely better off just installing Windows on the metal and going with that. Nothing will beat running on the metal when it comes to performance plus you're always running the chance of random stuff going on. If you were to go down the road of a Threadripper machine I'd dual boot it with Windows 10 for gaming.

What would be really worthwhile though would be to get one of those 4 Ethernet NIC PCIe cards and pass that through to a Pfsense/Opnsense VM. That's the kind of stuff where passthrough becomes very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Anyone got wrist rests to recommend? Recent heat made it more obvious how bad the edge of my desk is digging into me wrists.

Anyone got wrist rests to recommend? Recent heat made it more obvious how bad the edge of my desk is digging into me wrists.

Id argue that if your wrists are anywhere near the edge your setup is all wrong. Edge of the desk needs to be at your elbow, support that whole arm.

Id argue that if your wrists are anywhere near the edge your setup is all wrong. Edge of the desk needs to be at your elbow, support that whole arm.

In addition to this, just get an XXL mouse mat and hang it over the edge.

z0oT wrote: »
    I've managed to set up GPU passthrough of a GTX 750 Ti into a Windows 10 VM. It worked well enough, in the sense that the few games I tried ran pretty well but I did get a few bluescreens. This was on Debian 10 with KVM/Qemu so it was mostly command line work to set it up. What can make it difficult is that Nvidia doesn't want you to passthrough Geforce cards to a VM so there's a few tricks to getting that working. AMD on the other hand doesn't care so doing it with a Radeon is easier.

It was fun to get it up and running but for gaming, you'll be infinitely better off just installing Windows on the metal and going with that. Nothing will beat running on the metal when it comes to performance plus you're always running the chance of random stuff going on. If you were to go down the road of a Threadripper machine I'd dual boot it with Windows 10 for gaming.

What would be really worthwhile though would be to get one of those 4 Ethernet NIC PCIe cards and pass that through to a Pfsense/Opnsense VM. That's the kind of stuff where passthrough becomes very powerful.

thanks, I think what I'll probably do is setup one proxmox install for messing with that passthrough setup, and one just windows 10 install completely separate that I can boot into which will just work and won't have any chance of bluescreening weirdness.

I have a few pcie cards that I could use for that, if even to just learn to do failover with opnsense :cool:

Not necessarily. If you have adjustable armrests on your chair you can have keyboard and mouse close to the edge of your desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not necessarily. If you have adjustable armrests on your chair you can have keyboard and mouse close to the edge of your desk.

Yeah. This is one of my main gripes with the Markus chair, and why I was eyeing up a Leap v2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's amazing the variety of setups people have and what you can get comfortable with. I have to have a huge desk I can sprawl both elbows over and have a huge distance between the keyboard and mouse, otherwise I'm just off in games. I play at low sensitivity/low dpi so I tend to make huge arm movements.

Then I see my housemate playing Overwatch, sitting back and using the edge of the couch as a mousepad with high sensitivity....and playing just as good.

• Advertisement

So much nope.

Advertisement