Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't know who is going to enforce that as there are often kids in there with no adults!

Or so-called adults with no kids:D

T.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I just read on Bailey's corner's facebook page that apparently there will be free parking in all council carparks from July 1st between 9am-11am. I don't know where they found that out as I can't see any other info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I just read on Bailey's corner's facebook page that apparently there will be free parking in all council carparks from July 1st between 9am-11am. I don't know where they found that out as I can't see any other info on it.

Is it true that the traffic wardens were working right through lock-down. If true its a joke, the country on its knees financially and they hand out fines to people.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I wonder will the corrent global movement extend to Tralee and confront the issue of Mitchel's GAA club being named after an avowed racist and anti-Semite?

It certainly makes me rather uncomfortable to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Quackster wrote: »
    I wonder will the corrent global movement extend to Tralee and confront the issue of Mitchel's GAA club being named after an avowed racist and anti-Semite?

Anti-Semite? He'd fit right in with Sinn Féin's modern day thinking sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Is it true that the traffic wardens were working right through lock-down. If true its a joke, the country on its knees financially and they hand out fines to people.

They were working - they did a good few days in Rath graveyard pickup up rubbish, I believe they were patrolling town and moving on cars that were parked badly and/or dangerously. I'm not sure if they were fining cars like they usually did.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

So there will be free parking from 9am - 11am from July 1st. There will also be 15 minutes grace when parking so you can run into bank or shop to collect something.

I did hear that parking seems to be free in town at the moment and has been throughout the pandemic. Apparently they have only been fining those parked illegally. I saw the rock street post office even said its free parking at the moment. I don't know if that means it will be until the 1st July? I would be afraid to risk it!

A few other items have been announced from the recent council meeting, including that they won't be closing off Russel street to traffic. They also won't be charging businesses a licence fee to put out tables and chairs for the rest of the year.

A few other items have been announced from the recent council meeting, including that they won't be closing off Russel street to traffic.

http://traleetoday.ie/free-parking-period-and-grace-periods-in-council-car-parks-from-july-1/?fbclid=IwAR1Hj-9s6v9PHcqijj2diS-5Dz0GpaCm4c00qIbKgXvBpiwmeyCWELN755Y

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

LOL - I was waiting for this.

I'd say John Mitchels will be fine.

The permanently offended will move onto the next trendy cause soon enough.

BPKS wrote: »
    LOL - I was waiting for this.

I'd say John Mitchels will be fine.

The permanently offended will move onto the next trendy cause soon enough.
    Should people never question the status quo?

I'm sure black members of the club will be rather uncomfortable when they learn about who their club is named after. Which they will sooner or later as I just heard the issue raised now on Newstalk.

BTW, laughing at a post that you don't agree with is not a valid form of argument.

Should people never question the status quo?

I'm sure black members of the club will be rather uncomfortable when they learn about who their club is named after. Which they will sooner or later as I just heard the issue raised now on Newstalk.

BTW, laughing at a post that you don't agree with is not a valid form of argument.

If it was on Newstalk "now" (at 12.50) then it was on Ciara Kellys show which is exactly what I'd expect from that show.

No problem questioning the status quo but I happen to think this is ridiculous. Parnells will have to change their name because of something CS Parnell did 140 years ago. Same with clubs named after Michael Davitt. Did The O'Rahilly do something to upset the permanently offended in 1916 that would cause all the Rahillys teams to change their names. Where do we stop?

Anyway, I have no doubt that this whole nonsense will die down and that the Mitchels wont be changing their name to some airy-fairy PC friendly name anytime soon.

BTW - I would find it equally ridiculous if people in Offaly wanted to change the name of Obama Plaza because of the countless civilians killed by US forces during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan during his term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

https://www.newstalk.com/news/want-katie-hopkins-gaa-around-country-call-name-change-john-mitchel-clubs-1029212

They can go and **** off!! :mad:

Maybe they want the Mitchel's renamed the Martin Luther King Junior's?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

No country is without its issues regarding racism and please acknowledge the racism the Irish suffered in both the UK and US, we are not perfect and we also are far from the worst. It's quite obvious you were never pulled aside at a UK Airport, abusively questioned because you had a Gaelic name on your passport, or traveled the tube getting "looks" because of your "Oirish" accent

If you wish to question history, please have a look at the history of FG and Eoin O Duffy, a Facist, anti-semite who offered his "troops" to Franco and also attempted to raise a force to fight alongside the Nazis in the Eastern Front

Or WT Cosgrave who sent a message to Mussolini after his attempted assassination or the tweet sent in the last few days by this guy in Dublin

We cannot rewrite history, but if we are not willing to learn from it, we fail

https://twitter.com/christineomg5/status/1270456353660731398

https://www.theirishstory.com/2012/05/18/the-blueshirts-fascism-in-ireland/

I forgot DeValera signing the book of condolences for Hitler

Or maybe this !!

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eamon-ryan-apologises-for-using-n-word-in-dail-while-calling-for-inclusivity-1004672.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

newman10 wrote: »
    I forgot DeValera signing the book of condolences for Hitler

Shouldn't he be disinterned from Glasnevin and buried in an unmarked grave??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

kn wrote: »
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/want-katie-hopkins-gaa-around-country-call-name-change-john-mitchel-clubs-1029212

They can go and **** off!! :mad:

Maybe they want the Mitchel's renamed the Martin Luther King Junior's?

TBF, Daniel O'Connell was a fairly vocal opponent of slavery, and spoke on the same platform as the African-American Frederick Douglass, long before Mitchel.

TBF, Daniel O'Connell was a fairly vocal opponent of slavery, and spoke on the same platform as the African-American Frederick Douglass, long before Mitchel.
    Very true.

History is continually evolving, just because something was acceptable to previous generations doesn't necessarily make it acceptable now.

Nothing wrong with having a robust discussion, indeed it is a fundamental aspect of a healthy democracy. So it is rather concerning when some people get worked up and hysterical at the merest mention of this issue!

Regardless, the decision on their name ultimately rests with the members of the club itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭cms88

If it was on Newstalk "now" (at 12.50) then it was on Ciara Kellys show which is exactly what I'd expect from that show.

No problem questioning the status quo but I happen to think this is ridiculous. Parnells will have to change their name because of something CS Parnell did 140 years ago. Same with clubs named after Michael Davitt. Did The O'Rahilly do something to upset the permanently offended in 1916 that would cause all the Rahillys teams to change their names. Where do we stop?

Anyway, I have no doubt that this whole nonsense will die down and that the Mitchels wont be changing their name to some airy-fairy PC friendly name anytime soon.

BTW - I would find it equally ridiculous if people in Offaly wanted to change the name of Obama Plaza because of the countless civilians killed by US forces during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan during his term.

What needs to happen is someone to come and tell them to go **** themselves and might sort it out fairly fast!

cms88 wrote: »
    What needs to happen is someone to come and tell them to go **** themselves and might sort it out fairly fast!
    That would be a very intelligent response! :rolleyes:

That would be a very intelligent response! :rolleyes:

Why not? If they were to change their name would the 10 county championships they've won just disaper from the history books? The 5 in a row they won? They've been playing as John Mitchels for since the 1930's yet it's only now an issue..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Why not? If they were to change their name would the 10 county championships they've won just disaper from the history books? The 5 in a row they won? They've been playing as John Mitchels for since the 1930's yet it's only now an issue..

I agree, and I'm not a Mitchels bot..

Well that is a reasoned argument against changing the name and I see merit in it.

I would say though that 1930's Tralee would have been a vastly more monochromatic environment to what it is today. It was a time though when lots of placenames around Ireland, including Tralee streets, were changed to fit in with changed sensibilities.

Anyway, I think I better leave my opinion on the matter there least I completely derail the thread! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

There is a post by the chamber alliance that Mothercare in Manor is gone - due to covid they will close all their shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

bobdcow wrote: »
    There is a post by the chamber alliance that Mothercare in Manor is gone - due to covid they will close all their shops.

Gone into liquidation..
    Pandora in town is gone...only store closing as far as I'm aware

Gone into liquidation..
    Pandora in town is gone...only store closing as far as I'm aware

No surprise really as there was rarely anyone in there

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

bobdcow wrote: »

Dont think they can blame covid, a bit like debenhams, been on the cards for a while

I did see someone say mothercare was gone on tralee do you know a few days ago and people said it wasn't as it was just the UK ones last year. Apparently they were owned separately. Sad to see another business close. I needed to get a new car seat for my little boy too! As for Pandora, I have never been inside the door and was always wondering how the kept going. Tralee didn't seem like the right place for them to be really. I think any jewellers could sell Pandora, so a stand alone shop didn't make sense in a small town.

Sad for the staff though, not nice for them.

Was in Tralee recently for the first time since the end of March - whats the story with the circus trucks out by the Rose Hotel.

Were they there before the lockdown and just abandoned ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Was in Tralee recently for the first time since the end of March - whats the story with the circus trucks out by the Rose Hotel.

There was quite a bit about it in the news recently. See article below. What was nice to hear was the generosity of the people of Tralee who were kind enough to make food and other donations to help them out during their crisis.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0507/1137136-circus-kerry/

• Advertisement

They had to stay here the entire time. The council had to sort them out with electricity and people helped with food for them as they had literally no income. They were only in town about a week before they got stuck in lockdown. Must have been a tough few months for them. They will be able to leave at the end of the month.

Advertisement