Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Is the Jasmine boutique gone. Think that's the name on the shop in Russell st where Slattery's Travel used to be years ago. Passed there tonight & it looked like it was cleared out. Windows very bare.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Nice to see tralee do you know back to full strength . Is guineys open hun 😂😂😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

TigerTim wrote: »
    Is the Jasmine boutique gone. Think that's the name on the shop in Russell st where Slattery's Travel used to be years ago. Passed there tonight & it looked like it was cleared out. Windows very bare.

T.

I think that answers my question from earlier! I asked what clothes shop was going in next to Lana & Shindig, and I think it must be Jasmine! They have obviously moved!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

phormium wrote: »
    I've become quite accustomed to my online shopping now, I had kind of moved that way for clothes anyway but would go for the occasional browse but that's not an option for the near future anyway. Once the diy and gardening centres open I was happy really :) Infrequent trips to supermarket and the rest I can do online for now.

I do miss a cup of coffee, scone and read of the paper in a coffee shop though and might be a while before I'd be that comfortable going back.

I work in retail, not in Tralee, and It's just an opinion that if you want your town to survive and have a soul, people should support local businesses as much as possible.
    Not for a browse to see a brand and try for size, small shops lack digital expertise, they supply you with service and knowledge and if they don't survive the next 18 months, they will not be replaced by other retailers
    Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Did anyone hear that Eason won't be re-opening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

bobdcow wrote: »
    Did anyone hear that Eason won't be re-opening?

The layout of the building and fact they have only a single entrance/exit wont make it easy to implement current rules so maybe they are waiting until the 2m rule is relaxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

newman10 wrote: »
    I work in retail, not in Tralee, and It's just an opinion that if you want your town to survive and have a soul, people should support local businesses as much as possible.
    Not for a browse to see a brand and try for size, small shops lack digital expertise, they supply you with service and knowledge and if they don't survive the next 18 months, they will not be replaced by other retailers
    Just my opinion

The problem is it's the browsing that results in the impulse buys which is what you need really in shops, if I or anyone else only ever went into a shop when we needed something specific it wouldn't be much good either.

I buy very little clothes anyway and am a cheap shopper I'm afraid! The small shops wouldn't survive on what I buy at the best of times but I understand your point and the likes of small non chain clothes shops are going to doubly suffer with the restrictions on weddings etc, the small shops are mainly the upper end of the market, special occasion type stuff and God knows when there can be a decent special occasion celebrated again normally that you need to get dressed up for!

I actually lost my job in town centre in 2008/9 big bang and that put a stop to lunchtime browsing and impulse buys, now I am seldom in town centre unless I have something in particular to go in for, that was a loss to the shops too as I and others had a good income and lunchtimes or after work to ramble around and spend some on food and other non essentials.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

newman10 wrote: »
    Just my opinion

I am looking forward to going back into a physical shop for clothes! I am not worried about the restrictions etc, I am just glad they are all reopening and as you said they need us to survive now! I work in retails, so I'm used to it all now.

I do also shop online as I am a fan of Zara, and you can't always get what you want in Tralee! I will wait a bit longer to go to Penneys though, I can't be dealing with a bit crazy queue in at the weekend! I'll hold off until it calms down a bit. Can you imagine how many people will flock to it on Friday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The library has re-opened, but will operate a Call and Collect system - you e-mail/phone for an appointment to return or get books, and the staff will pick out books for you, so no browsing for now:

https://twitter.com/KerryLibrary/status/1269921149946822657

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Radio5

BPKS wrote: »
    The layout of the building and fact they have only a single entrance/exit wont make it easy to implement current rules so maybe they are waiting until the 2m rule is relaxed?

Easons in Killarney has one entrance/exit and has been open a few weeks now.

• Advertisement

I don't think having one entrance/exit makes a difference. Most shops in town are the same and are opened, and have been open all along.

I think I read they are reopening soon.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't think having one entrance/exit makes a difference. Most shops in town are the same and are opened, and have been open all along.

I think I read they are reopening soon.

Single entrance/exit is permitted but with Easons Tralee you have the magazines on the left hand side, newspaper stands in the centre and the tills on the opposite side of a narrow area. Congestion is likely here for people moving to/from the book section at the rear. How they manage that area will be the difference between complying with the rules and not.

Single entrance/exit is permitted but with Easons Tralee you have the magazines on the left hand side, newspaper stands in the centre and the tills on the opposite side of a narrow area. Congestion is likely here for people moving to/from the book section at the rear. How they manage that area will be the difference between complying with the rules and not.

I'm sure they can move anything in the middle of the floor to open it up. There are many shops with narrow areas, it hasn't stopped them opening though. I doubt they will have any floor displays etc and they can limit the amount of people in the shop at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The library has re-opened, but will operate a Call and Collect system - you e-mail/phone for an appointment to return or get books, and the staff will pick out books for you, so no browsing for now:

So thats the whole purpose of the library gone.
    I've rarely gone in for a specific book but always came out with a few

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

No public access then. Not much of a library!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

kn wrote: »
    No public access then. Not much of a library!

My kids love the library. How are they to choose what book they want!

My kids love the library. How are they to choose what book they want!
    There is a search facility online. I guess you just have to do your best on their area of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Dom O'Donnell's furniture store in Boherbee had every shop window smashed last night...

Dom O'Donnell's furniture store in Boherbee had every shop window smashed last night...

Scumbag behaviour doing that anytime but even a higher level of scumbaggery doing that now.

Whats the Garda CCTV like in that area? Was only dark for a few hours last night so they should have a good idea of who did it.

Oh my God! That's awful. I really hope they are caught. Surely the tenants living upstairs would have heard or seen something?

• Advertisement

Scumbag behaviour doing that anytime but even a higher level of scumbaggery doing that now.

Whats the Garda CCTV like in that area? Was only dark for a few hours last night so they should have a good idea of who did it.

There's no garda cctv in that area! They will rely on cctv from businesses around there if they have any.

I see the old Denny lane cafe/restaurant is now called the Yellow Door (I think that's it!?).

There's no garda cctv in that area! They will rely on cctv from businesses around there if they have any.

Is there any Garda CCTV in Town At all. What Happened to all those Cameras they put up years ago. I rememebr You could see the control room when walking past the Station .

Even when they 1st went in they were pointing @ the ground 90% of the time

Is there any Garda CCTV in Town At all. What Happened to all those Cameras they put up years ago. I rememebr You could see the control room when walking past the Station .

I was told those cameras are out of action years now. I remember them being installed. It was a bunch of lads from Belfast who came down to install them around the town. They used to drink in the Abbey in the evenings. Long time ago now, but I remember chatting to them a few times in there. I know some were replaced since, but not as many as we initially had back then. They are badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

https://www.radiokerry.ie/man-appears-court-charged-smashing-windows-tralee-business/

Looks like they caught someone for the Dom O Donnell broken windows.

I heard that. Allegedly some fight between a man and a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

New Rock St surface looking good. And they are making a go of the road outside Select now, nice to see these streets being sorted out. The road was always a dogs dinner going down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

The Garda CCTV camera outside Applegreen in Oakpark has been pointing directly down at the ground for years. What is the point?

The playgrounds will be reopening by Monday, 15th June. I had read it would be tomorrow, Thursday, but looks like a few more days now. There won't be the supervision by the council which was initially in the government recommendations. I think they have reworded it. They are advising that all kids are supervised by an adult. I don't know who is going to enforce that as there are often kids in there with no adults!
    It doesn't look like they will be sanitising it on a daily basis either. They are encouraging people to bring their own sanitiser!

• Advertisement

The playgrounds will be reopening by Monday, 15th June. I had read it would be tomorrow, Thursday, but looks like a few more days now. There won't be the supervision by the council which was initially in the government recommendations. I think they have reworded it. They are advising that all kids are supervised by an adult. I don't know who is going to enforce that as there are often kids in there with no adults!
    It doesn't look like they will be sanitising it on a daily basis either. They are encouraging people to bring their own sanitiser!

Don't Use The Town Park Playground @ the best of times. Never mind with all that's going on ..

Relying on people to use their better judgement and common sense doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :p

Advertisement