Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The one coffee shop that doesn't seem to have reopened yet is Costa!? None of their stores have reopened and they haven't given a date as to when they will. I would have thought they would have been one of the first to open!

Costa may not reopen until July, according to staff

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

To follow up on the rubbish in the Mall and Square - credit where it is due, the Love Tralee page on Facebook said that staff of Hillbillies were walking around the square picking up rubbish that came from their takeaway. It's nice to see/hear of businesses taking responsibility for their rubbish when they can.

Spotted this morning, there are garda cones alongside the kerb (on the road) beside McDonalds - I assume to prevent cars from blocking the road while trying to get in.

If your coming to town from the Manor side, the Boherbee road is closed to traffic, the diversion is by the Grotto. I don't know what they are doing in town. There has been a lot of road works the past few weeks. The road by the South Campus and the further education building in Clash is fantastic now, very smooth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Anyone else notice the traffic lights coming up along Pembroke Street to Rock street st at the corner of dairy master are a disaster?

3 times in the past 7 days I’ve drove up there and been stopped on red for close to 10mins and each time there was cars in front of me and we all had to break the red light when safe to turn.

What is going on with it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

bobdcow wrote: »
    To follow up on the rubbish in the Mall and Square - credit where it is due, the Love Tralee page on Facebook said that staff of Hillbillies were walking around the square picking up rubbish that came from their takeaway. It's nice to see/hear of businesses taking responsibility for their rubbish when they can.

Spotted this morning, there are garda cones alongside the kerb (on the road) beside McDonalds - I assume to prevent cars from blocking the road while trying to get in.

If your coming to town from the Manor side, the Boherbee road is closed to traffic, the diversion is by the Grotto. I don't know what they are doing in town. There has been a lot of road works the past few weeks. The road by the South Campus and the further education building in Clash is fantastic now, very smooth.

Apparently resurfacing the road in Boherbee/Castle street. But I don't know if anyone in Boherbee/Castle street notified of these road works?

Edited to add that they resurfaced the road from Applgreen down towards the train station last week. The woman who owns Kingdom food & wine was furious as she got a letter the afternoon before to notify her of it! Her entrance was blocked off to cars & she was very annoyed. Rightly so!
    I thought that part of the road was only done a year or so ago?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Anyone else notice the traffic lights coming up along Pembroke Street to Rock street st at the corner of dairy master are a disaster?

3 times in the past 7 days I’ve drove up there and been stopped on red for close to 10mins and each time there was cars in front of me and we all had to break the red light when safe to turn.

Sequence must be all out of sync. You can report these things on www.fixyourstreet.ie. Quite a hand site for things like potholes, traffic lights out etc. They get sent to the council to deal with.

• Advertisement

To keep the little one asleep in the car we drove up the bypass - Ballygarry to Listowel roundabout - someone has written in large bold black lettering "WHITE LIVES MATTER MORE" (in capitals) on one of the bridge pillars, (closer to the listowel roundabout).

P.S I'm only saying what I saw - not a personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

To keep the little one asleep in the car we drove up the bypass - Ballygarry to Listowel roundabout - someone has written in large bold black lettering "WHITE LIVES MATTER MORE" (in capitals) on one of the bridge pillars, (closer to the listowel roundabout).

P.S I'm only saying what I saw - not a persona opinion.

I'm guessing the culprit is a prankster with a misjudged sense of irony. At least, I'm hoping it is!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

More often than not, this is due to some idiot not stopping at the correct location - either overshooting the stop line or stopping too far back - so the induction loop doesn't pick up the fact that there is waiting traffic and therefore the controller unit doesn't activate a green signal for that road.

Of course a technical fault could also be to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Apparently resurfacing the road in Boherbee/Castle street. But I don't know if anyone in Boherbee/Castle street notified of these road works?

Edited to add that they resurfaced the road from Applgreen down towards the train station last week. The woman who owns Kingdom food & wine was furious as she got a letter the afternoon before to notify her of it! Her entrance was blocked off to cars & she was very annoyed. Rightly so!
    I thought that part of the road was only done a year or so ago?

Yeah... Maeve was pretty peeved alright ..add to that .. council burst the water main outside her door.. leaving her with no water...and a day later.they left a truck parked outside so no customers could drive in.
    Not the greatest advert for business/council relations at the moment I must admit.

Yeah... Maeve was pretty peeved alright ..add to that .. council burst the water main outside her door.. leaving her with no water...and a day later.they left a truck parked outside so no customers could drive in.
    Not the greatest advert for business/council relations at the moment I must admit.

Wow that's crazy! I don't blame her for the angry posts on her social media!

• Advertisement

She would want to tell her customers not to be dangerously parking on the road outside though.

I swear, some day I'll just completely lose the rag and rip the wing-mirror off a car that's obstructing the footpath! Same goes for outside Oaklands too. The sheer ignorance of some people is absolutely breathtaking. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Quackster wrote: »
    She would want to tell her customers not to be dangerously parking on the road outside though.

I swear, some day I'll just completely lose the rag and rip the wing-mirror off a car that's obstructing the footpath! Same goes for outside Oaklands too. The sheer ignorance of some people is absolutely breathtaking. :(

Calm down... deep breaths.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Calm down... deep breaths.
    I'll pour myself a large whiskey now! :D

In the days when I was out walking a lot with a pram, it used to do my head in trying to get past cars with the pram. I would barely squeeze as cars would be so fully up on the path. I asked a woman to move her car one day as she was getting out. She huffed and reluctantly got back into her car to move it. Another mother with a pram was trying to get by too, and had a wider pram and had no hope of getting through. Not a hope we were pushing them out on that busy road to get by. Its not a great place for parking. But People could go further up and park in by applegreen or even next door in the old eircom place if they are only running in. Its the usual have to park up right outside the door attitude of people!

People don't think...I've had arguments with people parking on Castle St as they just pop to the bank...this is where the traffic wardens should patrol...
    A couple of €80 fines every morning would stop that pdq!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

People don't think...I've had arguments with people parking on Castle St as they just pop to the bank...this is where the traffic wardens should patrol...

There’s a blind eye thrown to that place. Ridiculous. That and outside the grand hotel. Just drop the car to run into the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

More often than not, this is due to some idiot not stopping at the correct location - either overshooting the stop line or stopping too far back - so the induction loop doesn't pick up the fact that there is waiting traffic and therefore the controller unit doesn't activate a green signal for that road.

Of course a technical fault could also be to blame.
    Absolutely spot on, it’s almost always people parked on the induction loops, usually parked outside the what was the Old Oak or Joes place. The lights think the traffic is backed up then and try to clear it.

You mean what should be called the Hate Tralee’ page, as it only promotes antagonism towards the council, is full of biased political propaganda, pretty much every post on it is stolen from somewhere else, and if you post anything against the grain you will get banned. Pure muck.
    Ken Tobin’s post about it earlier in the week voiced the opinions of many.
    What the town needs, especially in these trying days is as much positivity as possible not photos online of overflowing bins and bashing the council for it.

I saw the Gardai fining a car Friday evening that was parked right up on on the footpath across from Bailys corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

I saw the Gardai fining a car Friday evening that was parked right up on on the footpath across from Bailys corner.

Proper order

• Advertisement

Apparently there are 2 suspected cases of covid in UHK today! yikes

edited to add that I saw this on Radio Kerry's facebook page...

Apparently there are 2 suspected cases of covid in UHK today! yikes

Well....I saw that from one source on Facebook...and the same person has claimed that before....

I didn't see Ken Tobin's post - I wouldn't mind reading that. I do know of someone personally who was attacked on that page for going against the grain of the post.

I do think that the town is looking good these days, a lot of businesses did good jobs in painting their premises over the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭cms88

You mean what should be called the Hate Tralee’ page, as it only promotes antagonism towards the council, is full of biased political propaganda, pretty much every post on it is stolen from somewhere else, and if you post anything against the grain you will get banned. Pure muck.
    What the town needs, especially in these trying days is as much positivity as possible not photos online of overflowing bins and bashing the council for it.

Agreed. However Ken isn't afraid of taking other peoples ideas etc so it's one of them two of them that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

The reality is that business should never have received planning from the council day 1 as the location is not suitable for retail of any kind. Illegal parking, people reversing out onto main road etc.
    Great sandwiches though 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Forge83 wrote: »
    The reality is that business should never have received planning from the council day 1 as the location is not suitable for retail of any kind. Illegal parking, people reversing out onto main road etc.
    Great sandwiches though 😜

Agreed. Kingdom Food Hall do great food and the staff are very friendly but the parking situation is awful. They must lose a lot of casual or impulse trade from people who are put off from attempting to park there in the tight spaces or who are, rightly so, too conscientious to illegally park on the road. It's in an unfortunate location for pedestrians to walk to unless you happen to be in that area and tourists would never be venturing by there. They should consider relocating to one of the many vacant buildings in town centre (old Val osheas, Quinlans, Old Oak or a few others spring to mind where they could offer seating as well. Actually the nearby and closed Stokers Lodge with sufficient parking would be ideal also.

Then again, maybe their business is doing just fine and they are happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

ongarboy wrote: »
    Agreed. Kingdom Food Hall do great food and the staff are very friendly but the parking situation is awful. They must lose a lot of casual or impulse trade from people who are put off from attempting to park there in the tight spaces or who are, rightly so, too conscientious to illegally park on the road. It's in an unfortunate location for pedestrians to walk to unless you happen to be in that area and tourists would never be venturing by there. They should consider relocating to one of the many vacant buildings in town centre (old Val osheas, Quinlans, Old Oak or a few others spring to mind where they could offer seating as well. Actually the nearby and closed Stokers Lodge with sufficient parking would be ideal also.

Then again, maybe their business is doing just fine and they are happy out!

They have a great reputation. For the reasons you state above they would definitely do increased business in a better location.
    Unless they own their current building of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Would you have a link or screen shot to that ken tobin post???

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

got to agree with the opinions on the 'love tralee' page. Sometimes it's pretty decent posts promoting Tralee but more often than not it gets ruined by political stances and other BS. Pity

• Advertisement

Yerra, we can go comment on Facebook pages over there....that's where the muck raking should be kept

Serious question... With the new government being formed inside the next 48 hours...do we think Norma Foley will get a ministry?
    She's done well on the oversight committee.... she's vocal and seems to be well thought of by those in charge...I think it could be something that Tralee, and Kerry needs in order to survive... would something like tourism be too much of a reach I wonder?

Advertisement