Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The ranting over a week of cloudy weather, we live in northwest Europe! If you want reliable sunny warm summers move to Italy, Spain or France. Ireland and Britain are not the places to live if you want consistent warm sunny weather.

2018 was fantastic though and shows it could easily turn around this summer. By all means if this cloudy weather goes non stop until middle of July, rant away but it’s been like 1-2 weeks of less good weather after 3 months of sustained good weather. Ranting about summer 2020 after 11 days is just ridiculous
    What did I get wrong I don't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I mean, we didn't get the same amount of sunshine or nice days down here in cork as you did up the country. I remember myself and other cork posters commenting about how it was raining and dull down here while the rest of the country basked in sunshine! In fact I remember we had nearly 4 days of non stop drizzle and then cloud after that at the end of April/start of may I believe!

Our may rainfall was actually more then it was last year down here. The final two weeks of may were nice and the first day of June also. But before that it was mostly Grey skies with random breaks of sunshine and maybe one or two days of sunshine in comparison to up the country. Personally I'd love a few more weeks of that seeing as we missed out on some of it!

Latest charts seem to show us getting a lot of the rain aswell even though we are probably that part of the country that needs it least! Mother nature works in strange ways :p

Here's to hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If you want reliable sunny warm summers move to Italy, Spain or France.

Except we can't, at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the long range charts were predicting a fairly crap June for quite a while that is exactly what we are getting. The long range models have been working out well since last Autumn, they predicted the very mild winter we just had. They predicted some decent weather during Spring but i'm not sure they predicted 3 months of it. As for this summer most of the long range models are going for an improving scene in July with perhaps the first week of July a transitional week as we revert to something more settled. If we get 2 to 3 decent weeks in July then we are probably ahead of ourselves most years after the great Spring we just had and with hopefully 1 decent monhth of weather this summer (if we get it) I would call that a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Except we can't, at the moment.

We also can't complain the weather into changing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The ranting over a week of cloudy weather, we live in northwest Europe! If you want reliable sunny warm summers move to Italy, Spain or France. Ireland and Britain are not the places to live if you want consistent warm sunny weather.

s

The south east of England is usually reliable too. As your friend in London can attest to the summers there tend to be a lot drier than ours. Anyway, if long range forecasts are correct, the weather will settle down in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

2018 was fantastic though and shows it could easily turn around this summer. By all means if this cloudy weather goes non stop until middle of July, rant away but it’s been like 1-2 weeks of less good weather after 3 months of sustained good weather. Ranting about summer 2020 after 11 days is just ridiculous

That was a freak show, 2018, once in 40 years event, and I'm ranting because it looks like rest of the month is going to suck. And I intend to move to Spain one day, but meanwhile you'll have to read my posts freaking out about the f*cking awful summers here, or block me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The south east of England is usually reliable too. As your friend in london can attest to the summers there tend to a lot drier than ours. Anyway if long range forecasts are correct the weather will settle down in July.

Yes I spent a few summers there, even during the bad ones there was always weekends in August and September where you'd have blazing sun and at least 24c and sunny in the park and beer gardens etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like splodge of rain incoming for Dublin, Meath and Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very gusty strong winds in cork city. Have moved to plants to a safer spot!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very gusty strong winds in cork city. Have moved to plants to a safer spot!

very gusty here in Meath too and more rain on the way. Looks and feels like autumn outside, leaves everywhere and even bits of twigs on the sides of roads where they have snapped off.

Yes south east England does get better summers but they are far from ‘reliable’. There is a reason Wimbledon we’re desperate to get a roof over their courts because of constant rain delays over the years and that is late June to mid July. The problem with London is you can get a week of 25 degrees and then 1-2 weeks of rain. It’s certainly better than here but I certainly wouldn’t move there for weather!!
    The south east of England is usually reliable too. As your friend in London can attest to the summers there tend to be a lot drier than ours. Anyway, if long range forecasts are correct, the weather will settle down in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like splodge of rain incoming for Dublin, Meath and Wicklow.

If only it were snow:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

If only it were snow:pac:

The amount of northeaserly this spring and summer has been unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like June is cancelled but June has often been the least best of the summer months. The hope now is that it'll settle in July before the third week. If it does we have a chance, if it doesn't were fecked until Autumn :D

Looks like June is cancelled but June has often been the least best of the summer months. The hope now is that it'll settle in July before the third week. If it does we have a chance, if it doesn't were fecked until Autumn :D

If we're still in this pattern mid July I'll be worried for the summer as a whole, but fingers crossed we will start to see a settling and warming trend towards the end of June. The next two weeks look fairly lousy, hopefully after that things will begin to settle down again. But yep the weather in June rarely indicates the weather for July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

August is the summer month I always worry about, Newport has recorded only 4 <100mm in the last 25 years.

I always found May, June abc September to be the most reliable months over the years. July and August can be very hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes south east England does get better summers but they are far from ‘reliable’. There is a reason Wimbledon we’re desperate to get a roof over their courts because of constant rain delays over the years and that is late June to mid July. The problem with London is you can get a week of 25 degrees and then 1-2 weeks of rain. It’s certainly better than here but I certainly wouldn’t move there for weather!!

It's very rare to get two sustained weeks of rain there during the summer, there are wet periods, but it's far drier overall than we are. In normal summers, when the west of Ireland was getting soaked for days on end, London would be fine for the most part.
    One other notable difference was the proper thunderstorms- the kind you don't get too often in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's a bit early to be writing off the summer yet. I think people's expectations are far too high each year. We don't live in the Mediterranean folks, we also could do with some rain on the ground. That goes for farmers or market gardners.

• Advertisement

another horrible wet afternoon here in Meath, raining fairly steadily for the past half hour. Chilly too with a current temperature of just 12C. Fire will be lit again this evening.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The amount of northeaserly this spring and summer has been unreal

looks like the easterly's are coming to an end now as the westerlies take over from next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Very blustery out there now - howling swirling wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry bright afternoon here in Castlebar with good spells of sunshine.

4pm
    Mace head 19 degrees
    Dublin Airport 11 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Vile Vile Vile

Today is possibly even colder than yesterday, currently only 10C and moderate rain.

the past 24 hours is every bit as bad as those bad days in the first half of June 2019. Looking at the next two weeks ahead makes me think this June could give last June a run for it's money in terms of rainfall and cool temperatures.

The June mean temperature for Dunsany is 13.0. Last June finished with a mean of 12.8C, this was helped greatly by the last 5 days of the month which went close to or above 20C, so the cooler than average temperature anomaly was reduced alot by the end of the month.

Currently Dunsany has a mean of just 12.0, a full degree below normal. I reckon over the next 2 days this could dip even further, before lifting up slightly next week. The rest of June appears that we will either have average or slightly below average temperatures. If this happens and we stay in this cool and unsettled pattern for the rest of the month, we could end up with a fairly cool June and it would also be the first month this year for temperatures to go quite a bit below average. Every month from January to May included have been above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    Today is possibly even colder than yesterday, currently only 10C and moderate rain.

the past 24 hours is every bit as bad as those bad days in the first half of June 2019. Looking at the next two weeks ahead makes me think this June could give last June a run for it's money in terms of rainfall and cool temperatures.

The June mean temperature for Dunsany is 13.0. Last June finished with a mean of 12.8C, this was helped greatly by the last 5 days of the month which went close to or above 20C, so the cooler than average temperature anomaly was reduced alot by the end of the month.

Currently Dunsany has a mean of just 12.0, a full degree below normal. I reckon over the next 2 days this could dip even further, before lifting up slightly next week. The rest of June appears that we will either have average or slightly below average temperatures. If this happens and we stay in this cool and unsettled pattern for the rest of the month, we could end up with a fairly cool June and it would also be the first month this year for temperatures to go quite a bit below average. Every month from January to May included have been above average.

For interest, here's Dunsany's mean temperature trackometer during June 2019 if you would like to compare daily as June 2020 progresses.

01 13.1
    02 13.4
    03 12.9
    04 12.2
    05 11.6
    06 11.4
    07 11.2
    08 11.3
    09 11.2
    10 11.3
    11 11.3
    12 11.2
    13 11.2
    14 11.1
    15 11.2
    16 11.2
    17 11.4
    18 11.5
    19 11.5
    20 11.6
    21 11.6
    22 11.6
    23 11.8
    24 11.9
    25 12.1
    26 12.2
    27 12.3
    28 12.5
    29 12.7
    30 12.8

Data from Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

This is ridiculous! Went for a walk to shop at lunchtime + had to put a coat on + was already wearing a jumper. WTF. It may say 12 degrees but its only feels like about 6 or 7 in that wind.

Luck I got out at all as raining here all afternoon. Hose pipe ban what a joke. Looks like continuous rain all day tomorrow + Saturday for Dublin.

If I had a summer holiday to escape to wouldn't mind too much but that's not going to happen. Holidaying in Ireland in summer is just depressing.

appledrop wrote: »
    This is ridiculous! Went for a walk to shop at lunchtime + had to put a coat on + was already wearing a jumper. WTF. It may say 12 degrees but its only feels like about 6 or 7 in that wind.

Luck I got out at all as raining here all afternoon. Hose pipe ban what a joke. Looks like continuous rain all day tomorrow + Saturday for Dublin.

If I had a summer holiday to escape to wouldn't mind too much but that's not going to happen. Holidaying in Ireland in summer is just depressing.

hopefully we can get to the med late August/early September while it's still properly warm there. I still have a holiday mid July to Malaga pending, I won't be going until our 14 day quarantine is lifted and the Spanish enforcement of mask wearing in public is also lifted. Until then fingers crossed our own weather lifts in time for July and that August this year is not the annual washout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I had to light the fire this morning and it has been going all day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement