Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain again here in Meath, has been very little let up with the rain since about 6pm, plenty of surface water on the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Horrible night out there now with a stronger wind and rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just looking at the radar and watching over the past few hours where it is moving, that intense band of rain over Wales is beginning to slowly pivot back towards Ireland, if that was to find it's way over here intact there could be some flooding by the morning.

Gonzo wrote: »
    just looking at the radar and watching over the past few hours where it is moving, that intense band of rain over Wales is beginning to slowly pivot back towards Ireland, if that was to find it's way over here intact there could be some flooding by the morning.

Quick cancel the hosepipe ban!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Quick cancel the hosepipe ban!

GFS now expecting up to 90mm of rain to fall over the next 7 to 9 days across most places. I can see places going in excess of 100mm over the next week. The deluges are back in town.

It's absolutely hammering down rain here in Meath, could be flooding here by the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

esposito wrote: »
    For me the rain is more bearable if it’s warm and humid. I cannot stand when it is cool, wet and breezy during the summer (which is usually what we get)

Exactly the same for me, I lived in the tropics in Asia for a year and never really got tired of the monsoon downpours, all you needed was an awning overhead and it was nice to sit out and enjoy the rain and thunder.

Its the miserable cold and windy weather that always accompanies the rain in this country that I hate more than the rain itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Pouring rain, coastal Wicklow. Lovely to hear. But would prefer if it were short lived!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kutebride

yep looks like it's going to pivot around and affect much of Leinster tonight, could be several more mm of rain in many places before the night is over. Plenty more showers for tomorrow too.

...and pivot it did. Got caught on the bike in that before 11pm. Still teeming
    Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Ireland one of the coldest places in Europe this evening, only the Alps and northern tip of Scandinavia is colder. Even Iceland is warmer than us today.

temp_eur2.png

Have a memory post from 14.06.2019 with Meath temps same as Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

9c out now but feels colder. A winter's night. Its entirely possible that we dont see any more consecutive days of 25c until next year. Depressing really as we couldnt leave the back garden for any of the nice weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

We had about 10 hours of pretty continuous rain from about 6pm yesterday, and it was particularly heavy from 11pm onwards. I'm 2 miles from the Irish Sea in Louth. It was much needed too for my veg garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

One word October.

Hurry up and open air travel so we can get the hell out of here.

One word October.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this.

I mean you couldn’t make it up. The minute we get into proper summer and an ease of the lockdown the weather reverts back to winter.

After having such an extended period of beautiful weather its not even funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

16mm rain in Arklow since yesterday
    June total now 20.6
    Feels wintry this morning, wind off the cold Irish Sea NE gusting 45kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

One word October.

I'm calling it Junuary myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s the 11th June!!! We had 3 months of sunshine and 1 week of cloudy weather. Will people cool the jets. Weather can change every week
    US2 wrote: »
    9c out now but feels colder. A winter's night. Its entirely possible that we dont see any more consecutive days of 25c until next year. Depressing really as we couldnt leave the back garden for any of the nice weather.

There has been a whopping 3mm of rain so far in June in Phoenix park

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There has been a whopping 3mm of rain so far in June in Phoenix park

You can add 8.6mm on to that for yesterday....

Oh ok but still 12mm is sod all for 10 days
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    You can add 8.6mm on to that for yesterday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

We've been spoiled with two months or more of mostly settled good weather, payback always happens. I remember a very dull disappointing start to June 1995,it wasnt till the third week the weather improved so I'll hold onto that hope, as we know how good the summer was afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dull, overcast, cool and breezy in east Cork. Very upsetting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

I mean you couldn’t make it up. The minute we get into proper summer and an ease of the lockdown the weather reverts back to winter.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Please god high pressure will dominate in July at least. I’ve given up hope on August as the westerlies always seem to take over going by the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It’s the 11th June!!! We had 3 months of sunshine and 1 week of cloudy weather. Will people cool the jets. Weather can change every week

No we won't cool the jets! We had a nice spring, but it's summer now, 11 days in. Rest of June is a write off probably, so then we're left with 4 weeks of July for any summer weather to happen. August is usually just day after day of what we're experiencing the last couple of days, so we can probably write that off too.
    It's just incredibly frustrating, every bloody year!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Warm sticky humid next week with hopefully a more continental feel with rain falling straight down not sideways...it's prob exactly what we need now to end drought so I am happy enough once we get these cool days out of the way. Who knows what will come then for rest of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

US2 wrote: »

Ah jesus, it's also entirely possible we could have a great summer still. Early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭compsys

We had the sunniest spring EVER in Dublin and the driest too in parts of Ireland.

Did people think it could continue all year? Like others have said, bad weather was bound to happen. And we need the rain unfortunately.

However as long as the summer isn't cool, wet AND cloudy I'll take it.

I feel like we've gotten our sun quota for the first half of the year or so already so if June/July were even just mild and dry I'd take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Saturday and yesterday are up there with many days of the first half of June 2019 for me. Not a washout (which I got very little from yesterday) but cool and overcast with drizzle. My least favourite kind of days.

Wrong. 2018 was unreal. Non stop sunshine from May to end of July

quote="Thelonious Monk;113700221"]No we won't cool the jets! We had a nice spring, but it's summer now, 11 days in. Rest of June is a write off probably, so then we're left with 4 weeks of July for any summer weather to happen. August is usually just day after day of what we're experiencing the last couple of days, so we can probably write that off too.
    It's just incredibly frustrating, every bloody year![/quote]

This has probably been the worst spell of weather we've had since February in fairness. The cold shot at the beginning of May was actually very enjoyable because apart from one showery day, the rest of it was blue skies and pleasant. The 2 days of wind we had a few weeks ago was bearable because we knew warm and sunny weather was just a day away and the rain associated with it mostly fell at night and it was light enough. Yesterday was horrible, last night was wild and today just feels like a regular late October or early November damp autumnal day. Plenty more of unsettled weather to come too over the next few weeks, there doesn't look to be any way back to a quick reload of the Azores high, unless all the charts are now wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wrong. 2018 was unreal. Non stop sunshine from May to end of July

What did I get wrong I don't understand?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement