Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

/\ ah now, do you live in a barn?
    appledrop wrote: »
    This is ridiculous! Went for a walk to shop at lunchtime + had to put a coat on + was already wearing a jumper. WTF. It may say 12 degrees but its only feels like about 6 or 7 in that wind.

Luck I got out at all as raining here all afternoon. Hose pipe ban what a joke. Looks like continuous rain all day tomorrow + Saturday for Dublin.

If I had a summer holiday to escape to wouldn't mind too much but that's not going to happen. Holidaying in Ireland in summer is just depressing.

That's for the three months of semi drought, not the week of semi damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully we can get to the med late August/early September while it's still properly warm there. I still have a holiday mid July to Malaga pending, I won't be going until our 14 day quarantine is lifted and the Spanish enforcement of mask wearing in public is also lifted. Until then fingers crossed our own weather lifts in time for July and that August this year is not the annual washout!

We have holiday booked for end July but I doubt we will go with all the restrictions especially as we have a small child. 14 quarantine also not doable. Next annual leave not till Oct so will maybe think about then but no doubt prices will be through the roof.

I looked up few hotels in Ireland for end July, prices were ridiculous. Feck that I'm not paying that money when it could be raining. Better off staying at home + going to beach everyday locally if weather was nice but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

/\ ah now, do you live in a barn?

That's for the three months of semi drought, not the week of semi damp.

Yes we had a beautiful dry spring but it followed on from one of the wettest periods ever from Aug19-Feb 20. The amount of rainfall was unbelievable. We all remember Nov + Dec. We don't have drought in this country. What we have is mismanagement of water storage. Its a joke. Anyway at the rate we are going we will have plenty of rain by end of this week never mind the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Beautiful summer's day in Galway and very warm too. Breezy, but in that nice, feels good on the skin sort of way.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fire lit again for the evening, damp, cold and miserable outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Sunny and pleasant here in west mayo, once your out of the northeast breeze, the ground is rock solid, we had a heavy shower yesterday, it was strange to see it beating off the window such has been the notable lack of rain here.

Hope the flow stays easterly and it stays away for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I still have a holiday mid July to Malaga pending, I won't be going until our 14 day quarantine is lifted and the Spanish enforcement of mask wearing in public is also lifted. Until then fingers crossed our own weather lifts in time for July and that August this year is not the annual washout!

With the need to save the summer/ pressure from the airline industry, i can see the quarantine being lifted on the 18th of June. It's a sensible decision to make between countries that have the virus under control.

Back to the weather, it turned out a nice day here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sunny and pleasant here in west mayo, once your out of the northeast breeze, the ground is rock solid, we had a heavy shower yesterday, it was strange to see it beating off the window such has been the notable lack of rain here.

Hope the flow stays easterly and it stays away for as long as possible.

The easterly is numbered, the westerlies are back from early next week and look set to dominate into the 2nd and 3rd week of June. Plenty of rain on the way no matter what part of Ireland you live in over the next few weeks unless the models do another complete reverse soon and starts building up that Azores high.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The easterly is numbered, the westerlies are back from early next week and look set to dominate into the 2nd and 3rd week of June. Plenty of rain on the way no matter what part of Ireland you live in over the next few weeks unless the models do another complete reverse soon and starts building up that Azores high.

Yes. We will all get rain from next week. The weather may become more settled again going into the final days June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just watching the news. A number of reporters wearing full overcoats doing outside broadcasts. And it’s almost mid summer.

I feel like throwing my hat at June and July not much better :/

Yes. We will all get rain from next week. The weather may become more settled again going into the final days June.

if that happens, this really will be a repeat of June 2019. June 1st 2019 was a nice warm day then it all went pear shaped from the 2nd of June and didn't recover until the last 5 days or so of the month.

If we do manage to get fine and settled weather for July I hope we get a better run at it this year with higher temperatures, less of an Atlantic influence and a proper plume at some stage with no chilly sea breezes to spoil the temperatures. Would to be nice to see this extend well into August as well, Not asking for much am I!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

if that happens, this really will be a repeat of June 2019. June 1st 2019 was a nice warm day then it all went pear shaped from the 2nd of June and didn't recover until the last 5 days or so of the month.

If we do manage to get fine and settled weather for July I hope we get a better run at it this year with higher temperatures, less of an Atlantic influence and a proper plume at some stage with no chilly sea breezes to spoil the temperatures. Would to be nice to see this extend well into August as well, Not asking for much am I!

Haha not at all Gonzo. I’m sure the weather gods will oblige..

It’s mad that June will probably turn out the same as June 2019 but there ya go.

This crap June is making me very tempted to book a few days in Spain this summer!

esposito wrote: »
    Haha not at all Gonzo. I’m sure the weather gods will oblige..

It’s mad that June will probably turn out the same as June 2019 but there ya go.

This crap June is making me very tempted to book a few days in Spain this summer!

Spain is tempting but I would hold off for now. Wouldn't be much of a holiday with blue arrows on the pavement telling you which direction to walk or in a restaurant with a mask on trying to eat and a 100 euro fine if caught without a mask in public. All this needs to go before holidays in Spain can even be considered. Will be looking into delaying my holiday there till early September, hopefully by then all the restrictions will be gone. In the meantime we have to just hope our own weather improves in time for July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

this is absolutely soul destroying. this is just dark soul crushing misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wouldn't be much of a holiday with blue arrows on the pavement telling you which direction to walk or in a restaurant with a mask on trying to eat and a 100 euro fine if caught without a mask in public.

Worry not, the market has you covered:

https://twitter.com/muradcobanoglu/status/1262830787625394176

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

This thread is now moaner central....One week of bad weather and seemingly summer 2020 is over. Checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This thread is now moaner central....One week of bad weather and seemingly summer 2020 is over. Checking out

Weather tends to lock in, not so bad now, if it picked up a few degrees would be happy medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

Think it feels more humid this evening than it was today.

Agree! We’ve had the most unbelievable run of fabulous weather since lockdown started , EVERYONE has said this , almost since Patrick’s Day , and certainly no rain ! This weather only changed about last Thursday or Friday , and indeed Monday was beautiful here in Louth .
    Honestly I can’t understand the amount of negativity instead of feeling thankful for what we’ve had for almost 3 months . It’s not like we’ve endured 4 months of cold wet rain ? And it’s only 11 June .

I was out walking on a cloudy wild beach yesterday and it was simply beautiful. Today after work I walked along the Boyne , dull and cool but amazing clouds, birds singing and wild plants in full bloom all along the way . I love Ireland and it’s diversity, I’d hate scorching dry weather all the time.

• Advertisement

the reason why people are probably unhappy about the current weather situation is the very reason that we did have 3 months of beautiful weather but due to the lockdown most of us couldn't go anywhere beyond our back gardens, and now that the lockdown is more or less over the weather has taken a turn. I'll admit the next 7 to 10 days don't look great at all, but as we have seen numerous times over the past week, things can change very quickly and we could have lovely settled and warm weather back before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

the reason why people are probably unhappy about the current weather situation is the very reason that we did have 3 months of beautiful weather but due to the lockdown most of us couldn't go anywhere beyond our back gardens, and now that the lockdown is more or less over the weather has taken a turn. I'll admit the next 7 to 10 days don't look great at all, but as we have seen numerous times over the past week, things can change very quickly and we could have lovely settled and warm weather back before the end of the month.

Except the end of lockdown means most people are back to work, so there would be less time to enjoy the good weather :D

MJohnston wrote: »
    Except the end of lockdown means most people are back to work, so there would be less time to enjoy the good weather :D

Yes so much easier to be back in work when the sun isn’t shining . And lockdown would have been depressing in bad weather , trying to get in our 2km daily walks.

(I’m not allowed take holidays till end of Summer.....I’d say a lot of people in the same boat, lockdown was my summer holiday ). Hopefully the sun returns soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I just read the Spring 2020 thread to see how the weather was for us down south. During April, the start was cool and dull with some wet days while up the country it was blue skies and 18 degrees was reported in Mayo. On the 16th it was sunny in Cork city but only about 12 degrees, was 18 up the country. This continued for most of april

At the start of May we got what seemed like a constant spell of drizzle that just kept going and going. It was 20 degrees in Mayo and Phoenix park was about 18 on the 6th but only 9 degrees down here. Finally on the 8th May we got a 16/17 degrees and the 9th was an unreal day according to myself! Got cloudy and a temp drop again the day after however and was similar in the SE aswell.

Entire country had a cold day on around the 11th during the sudden cool drop which did kill a few of my plants tbh. Cloudy and about 12/13 again in Cork city on the 16th and the SE aswell and scattered showers. Finally from about the 20th/21st, the dry, warm spell started in Cork at least until the 2nd June.

Where I am going with this is that our spell was a lot shorter then your 3 month one up the country and this covers like the south, se and sw. This is a big portion of the country so I presume we do have some right to complain, even though I enjoyed the just over two week spell! I wish we had the 3 months of you guys though. But don't paint everybody with one brush, not all of us had 3 months of dry, sunny weather with only a few days of poor/chilly weather. Most of our weather was cloudy, cool and wet when you were warm, dry and sunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We're normally sheltered from the wind but it has been persistent from the NE for quite some time now. I even recorded a gale force gust today here in South Laois!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Very dark this morning I nearly want to turn on the lights..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Agree! We’ve had the most unbelievable run of fabulous weather since lockdown started , EVERYONE has said this , almost since Patrick’s Day , and certainly no rain ! This weather only changed about last Thursday or Friday , and indeed Monday was beautiful here in Louth .
    Honestly I can’t understand the amount of negativity instead of feeling thankful for what we’ve had for almost 3 months . It’s not like we’ve endured 4 months of cold wet rain ? And it’s only 11 June .

I was out walking on a cloudy wild beach yesterday and it was simply beautiful. Today after work I walked along the Boyne , dull and cool but amazing clouds, birds singing and wild plants in full bloom all along the way . I love Ireland and it’s diversity, I’d hate scorching dry weather all the time.

There's no diversity really in our weather, most of the year it's 12c cloudy and breezy. There are 3 months in summer, August is always a let down so we're left with 2 and June is already a disaster. So we've a few weeks left for possible summer weather and then it's back to 12c or colder for the whole year! My house is dark af this morning and it's nearly the longest day of the year on the calendar.
    That's why it's so frustrating and God dammit I'm going to bitch and moan about it for years to come until I can retire somewhere warm, this kind of weather is just inhumane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

There's no diversity really in our weather, most of the year it's 12c cloudy and breezy. There are 3 months in summer, August is always a let down so we're left with 2 and June is already a disaster. So we've a few weeks left for possible summer weather and then it's back to 12c or colder for the whole year! My house is dark af this morning and it's nearly the longest day of the year on the calendar.
    That's why it's so frustrating and God dammit I'm going to bitch and moan about it for years to come until I can retire somewhere warm, this kind of weather is just inhumane.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I don't mind the cold so much its the wind thats the killer , I swear it gets windier every year.

• Advertisement

I just read the Spring 2020 thread to see how the weather was for us down south. During April, the start was cool and dull with some wet days while up the country it was blue skies and 18 degrees was reported in Mayo. On the 16th it was sunny in Cork city but only about 12 degrees, was 18 up the country. This continued for most of april

At the start of May we got what seemed like a constant spell of drizzle that just kept going and going. It was 20 degrees in Mayo and Phoenix park was about 18 on the 6th but only 9 degrees down here. Finally on the 8th May we got a 16/17 degrees and the 9th was an unreal day according to myself! Got cloudy and a temp drop again the day after however and was similar in the SE aswell.

Entire country had a cold day on around the 11th during the sudden cool drop which did kill a few of my plants tbh. Cloudy and about 12/13 again in Cork city on the 16th and the SE aswell and scattered showers. Finally from about the 20th/21st, the dry, warm spell started in Cork at least until the 2nd June.

Where I am going with this is that our spell was a lot shorter then your 3 month one up the country and this covers like the south, se and sw. This is a big portion of the country so I presume we do have some right to complain, even though I enjoyed the just over two week spell! I wish we had the 3 months of you guys though. But don't paint everybody with one brush, not all of us had 3 months of dry, sunny weather with only a few days of poor/chilly weather. Most of our weather was cloudy, cool and wet when you were warm, dry and sunny!

The most you can hope for in the spring is dry weather. The last few months have been incredibly dry apart from a few wet days we got in the south that the other parts of the country didn't get. It was a bit cooler with breezes and we didn't get as much sun as the east but we did exceptionally well compared to previous years. The winter essentially ended in mid-March when in some years it continues for another six weeks to the start of May. I think we should be grateful for our lot instead of moaning and comparing to what others got. We were blessed with the weather during the whole lockdown period. I have two very small kids and I've been out walking with them or playing in the garden pretty much every day for three months (bar four wet days) which is exceptional weather. It's important to remember that we live in Ireland and not the Med.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement