Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dissapointing. This day last week it was mid-20s.

515804.png

We've had a fairly chilly week overall, despite the first 2 days being warmer than average we are now overall 1 degree below average here in Meath for the month of June, however things do look like they'll start warming up for a while from this weekend with a few more cool days before then. Tomorrow is likely to be colder than today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Damp dull dreary evening at just 12.9C here in Kerry. Heating on.

Next!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

damp and cool this evening in Meath and the fire is lit.

Cooler air moving down across the country tomorrow with bands of rain or showers.

Tomorrow could be the 2nd coldest day of the month so far, but perhaps not quite as chilly as last Saturday.

GFSOPUK12_24_2.png

GFSOPUK12_30_5.png

hirlamuk-1-29-0.png?09-18

hirlamuk-25-33-0.png?09-18

5mm to 10mm most parts tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

@Danno, just curious, over the recent warm dry spell what kind of grass max temperatures were you getting in the afternoons? Grass min is always reported but we never get to see the max. I would imagine with the dry ground you were getting 30+ degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Any updates on the weather for this weekend ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

US2 wrote: »
    Any updates on the weather for this weekend ?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971

And

www.met.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not a nice morning out at all. Dull overcast quite cool and starting to rain. So typical of our summers really. It’s the hope that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lashing rain here now. Ffs depressing for summer weather. Cold yesterday aswekl. Heating was on again. So glad we got out in park on Monday evening.

So thankfully for all beach visits we got in during nice weather. My husband told me to relax sure it was only the start of summer+ did I need to go that much. Ha I know the Irish summer too well. That could be the best spell of weather we get.

Dreading the long winter with no break abroad 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Technically we haven't had a summer at all yet as it only started 10 days ago! Lovely spring though. Today is so bloody miserable out, lockdown absolutely sucks in weather like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh I know technically haven't had a summer yet but let's be realistic here weather for June not looking that great for next while + August is always a write off for summer month.

I've some hope for July but you just can't guarantee it. I'm not saying weather will be miserable all the time but may not see those highs again that we got on Bank Holiday weekend in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Technically we haven't had a summer at all yet as it only started 10 days ago! Lovely spring though. Today is so bloody miserable out, lockdown absolutely sucks in weather like this.

We did
    1st and 2nd of June were lovely
    Looking forward to next year now

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

after the fantastic Spring we had, June was always going to be a disappointment because the warm and dry spell broke. However the first 2 days of the month were fantastic just before the weather broke and Monday just gone was also really nice and summery. That's 3 out of 10 decent days and we still have another 20 days to go this month. Compared to last June were doing alright. Once we get this weekend's unsettled weather out of the way, next week isn't looking too bad so we're likely to have a few nice warm and summery days next week as well fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Gonzo wrote: »
    Once we get this weekend's unsettled weather out of the way, next week isn't looking too bad so we're likely to have a few nice warm and summery days next week as well fingers crossed.

Great point! Most of us felt once the breakdown came last week that was the end of any settled weather. Sunday evening and Monday this week where ideal weather in Dublin, I’d gladly take 2-3 days a week of that from now till August.

there is still uncertainty about the beginning of next week in the models. The GFS has us becoming dryer for a few days next week after an unsettled weekend, while the ECM looks more unsettled with low pressure from the Atlantic biting at Ireland which would be curtains for warm and dry conditions early next week.

The general trend for this June would appears to be uncertainty at all corners but overall this appears to be shaping up to be a mixed June. Up to now most of the month has been disappointingly cool. We may see a warmer second half of June but that will depend greatly on how unsettled we get and how much influence these north-westerly low pressures moving from Greenland will affect us. Ireland looks to be more cooler and unsettled over the next few days as the unsettled pattern over the UK shifts over to us and they become dryer and warmer. We may tap into warmer weather next week but this appears to be more on a knifeedge now for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Max of 16c so far in Arklow
    A lot of heavy showers too
    6mm so far today from those

escaped the rain so far today but looks to be alot of showers heading our way from the north-west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

there is still uncertainty about the beginning of next week in the models. The GFS has us becoming dryer for a few days next week after an unsettled weekend, while the ECM looks more unsettled with low pressure from the Atlantic biting at Ireland which would be curtains for warm and dry conditions early next week.

The general trend for this June would appears to be uncertainty at all corners but overall this appears to be shaping up to be a mixed June. Up to now most of the month has been disappointingly cool. We may see a warmer second half of June but that will depend greatly on how unsettled we get and how much influence these north-westerly low pressures moving from Greenland will affect us. Ireland looks to be more cooler and unsettled over the next few days as the unsettled pattern over the UK shifts over to us and they become dryer and warmer. We may tap into warmer weather next week but this appears to be more on a knifeedge now for us.

I used to think that the GFS was always the wetter model in the 5-10 day range with a more progressive and westerly bias compared to ECM.
    But most charts recently have ECM forecasting more rain at that range - any idea why the change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Neddyusa wrote: »
    I used to think that the GFS was always the wetter model in the 5-10 day range with a more progressive and westerly bias compared to ECM.
    But most charts recently have ECM forecasting more rain at that range - any idea why the change?

Not crucial but there is a huge lack of airplane weather data being fed into models recently for obvious reasons
    Its bound to affect them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

escaped the rain so far today but looks to be alot of showers heading our way from the north-west.

I was just thinking the same thing, the ground is rock hard here so won't begrudge it a bit of rain.
    Hope i don't regret saying that in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We have escaped the showers so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We have escaped the showers so far.

Nothing but a few pointless spits at times here.

New Moon

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Not crucial but there is a huge lack of airplane weather data being fed into models recently for obvious reasons
    Its bound to affect them

I reckon that's probably a large part of it, would explain why the models are all over the shop in recent weeks and flip flopping from one thing to another at different times to each other making forecasting even more guesswork than usual.

At the same time I think it's fairly obvious at this stage that we are also going through a fairly significant pattern change to a more unsettled scene and that this is not just a temporary blip in the dry and settled conditions. If anything all these lows sinking from Greenland down over us and then rotating slowly as they pash back over us and into the Atlantic is just making the Atlantic in general far more unsettled than it was, and this is opening up more unsettled doors for us.

The Azores high is getting pushed back further into the Atlantic each day and that really warm air that's building over the continent doesn't look like it's going to make much progress westwards past the Low countries or SE UK over the next while as the muck from the north Atlantic will stop it in it's tracks from getting this far. We will get warmer than we are now but nothing that would excite us. I think at this stage any proper settling down is a few weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

June was the only dodgy month in the long range summer forecast and if that forecast is right the fine weather should return in July August and even into autumn...its seems to be correct about June so far anyway...so lets hope the forecast for the rest of summer is right too

horrible evening here in Meath now, heavy rain and fairly dark skies. The dry spell and well and truly over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Heaviest shower off the day now passing over D12

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can hear rain falling nearby in Dublin 16!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Been a fairly dire week here in Donegal so far, weekend was cold and very windy and we've had a lot of heavy rain in the past couple of days. Wind picking up again now as well, looks more like late October than June when I look out the window

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Lovely heavy showers in Clondalkin this evening. Very enjoyable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement