Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I just love dry warm weather that coincides with the longest days of the year like 2018. We can't really complain because we were mostly blessed with great weather since March- imagine standing in supermarket queues in wild April weather, don't think we even had one April shower were I live. Got out for a run every day over lockdown with no rain, three days since hosepipe ban and I've got soaked three times:pac:, but you have to laugh and hope. Still plenty of time for some proper summer weather although I know why some people are complaining, when the weather locks in here it can stay the same way for a while, 3 months of good weather during lockdown could easily become 3 months of a washout post lockdown if the atlantic regime gets settled in.

It's about finding ways to enjoy outside regardless of weather, get the rain gear head up a mountain and be glad to be alive, healthy and at liberty to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

The most you can hope for in the spring is dry weather. The last few months have been incredibly dry apart from a few wet days we got in the south that the other parts of the country didn't get. It was a bit cooler with breezes and we didn't get as much sun as the east but we did exceptionally well compared to previous years. The winter essentially ended in mid-March when in some years it continues for another six weeks to the start of May. I think we should be grateful for our lot instead of moaning and comparing to what others got. We were blessed with the weather during the whole lockdown period. I have two very small kids and I've been out walking with them or playing in the garden pretty much every day for three months (bar four wet days) which is exceptional weather. It's important to remember that we live in Ireland and not the Med.

Maybe location difference does matter, I remember a lot more than 4 wet days and the rainfall we got for April is actually average and what we got for May is more then what we got last year! I remember texting my relative in Dublin multiple different times when it was drizzling here and she was sunbathing out in phoenix park, was more then 4 days. Was windier here too! So my main post was really about the brilliant weather up the country got rather then the dry but chilly and sometimes wet weather we got here.

It's Ireland, of course you have to take every bit of dry weather and use it to it's fully extent! I wasn't moaning about their weather but instead replying to the posts who were complaining about people being annoyed about the current spell of weather "because it was warm and dry for the last three months" which just wasn't true everywhere.

I was just saying don't paint every part of the country with one brush and I feel a lot of the posts on here are just an East/west split when weather is reported so was just saying how I felt about it! Loved the last two weeks of it though and will leave my posts at that and go back to reporting conditions as I usually don't make posts like these ! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another chilly, windy and damp day here in Meath, current temperature 11C. Temperatures here in Meath have struggled to get much above 12C since Tuesday, it really has been a very chilly week, temperatures should improve somewhat from tomorrow back to more average values.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

A bit windy today in Cork City, overcast and about 13 degrees atm. Was some strong gusts last night and quite a few of my pots were blown over! (They all survived though :) ). Constantly looks like its about to rain but think it will hold off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a slow improvement here in Meath, still windy, with lots of leaves and twigs around the place. Temperatures have now climbed to 13C and the sun looks like it might shine in the next hour or so.

Nearby stations: Dunsany is now reporting 10.8mm of rain up to yesterday morning. We had a fair splash of rain yesterday and throughout the night so I expect this to rise quiet a bit on the next update.

Mean temperature now 11.9c, that's more than a degree below average for the month of June.

Dublin Airport now reporting 14.0mm of rain, not often is Dublin Airport wetter than Dunsany. mean temperature for Dublin is only 11.4C, that's a full 2 degrees below the average for June, so this really is shaping up to be a very cool to chilly first half of June.

I susepect the mean temperature will gradually improve but we are going to need a series of very warm days to fix that cool temperature anomoly before the end of June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sun came out in Arklow bringing peak to near 15c
    windy throughout regularly gusting East northeast in the mid 40's kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

All my beautiful lupins + foxgloves are all destroyed and broken in garden due to wind over last few days.

Another miserable so called summer day + heating on again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Sun came out in Arklow bringing peak to near 15c...

What! Horrible day in (this part of) Dublin dark and overcast with some light rain now. 12.1c

For eastern areas it looks like the worst may be almost over. Since Tuesday much of Leinster has been cold, wet at times and very windy with temperatures struggling to get much past 12C.

From tomorrow temperatures will certainly lift up a bit. It wouldn't take much for anything to be an improvement of what we've had these past few days.

It is possible that tomorrow could be a much dryer day in many parts of Leinster, particularly the northern half of Leinster, as showers appear to be more widespread across the southern part of the country, the midlands and possibly parts of the west as well.

arpegeuk-1-28-0.png?12-17

arpegeuk-41-28-0.png?12-17

High teens, almost 20C is possible anywhere tomorrow, this will certainly feel alot warmer than the 12C we've been stuck with for days now.

Sunday looks largely dry again across many eastern areas with showers mostly across the midlands, the south and the west.

arpegeuk-1-47-0.png?12-18

arpegeuk-41-52-0.png?12-18

Still warm on Sunday with high teens in many places, but turning cooler from the south later.

Overall rain amounts look lighter in Leinster look lighter compared to recently with the main shift in heavy precipitations the south-west of Ireland where up to 30mm of rainfall is possible over the weekend.

57-777UK.GIF?12-12

Western areas may see the bulk of rainfall next week, eastern areas may be taking a break from having the coolest and wettest conditions next week.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What! Horrible day in (this part of) Dublin dark and overcast with some light rain now. 12.1c

Got to the the outdoor gym in the sun and wind down here! So no complaints for a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A warm humid evening here in Castlebar with sunny spells and temperature of just under 20 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    a slow improvement here in Meath, still windy, with lots of leaves and twigs around the place. Temperatures have now climbed to 13C and the sun looks like it might shine in the next hour or so.

Nearby stations: Dunsany is now reporting 10.8mm of rain up to yesterday morning. We had a fair splash of rain yesterday and throughout the night so I expect this to rise quiet a bit on the next update.

Mean temperature now 11.9c, that's more than a degree below average for the month of June.

Dublin Airport now reporting 14.0mm of rain, not often is Dublin Airport wetter than Dunsany. mean temperature for Dublin is only 11.4C, that's a full 2 degrees below the average for June, so this really is shaping up to be a very cool to chilly first half of June.

I susepect the mean temperature will gradually improve but we are going to need a series of very warm days to fix that cool temperature anomoly before the end of June.

DA was moved around a decade ago to a way colder location (particularly at night) so long-term comparisons using that station aren't great. There have been some months where DA has recorded below average temps at its station while Casement and PP only a few KMs have recorded way above average temps.

But irregardless it's definitely been a cold start to summer whatever way you look at it.

in weather things usually even out and 12 weeks of non-stop sun (in Dublin at least) was always going to end spectacularly.

The rain is back and temperature back down to 11C. Fire is lit again for the 4th night in a row, hopefully this really is the last night of lighting fire's this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

A lot better in Mayo. I played football in the garden in my socks earlier without getting wet feet :)

I just got back from a run and I'm far more drenched with sweat than usual- it's only about 17C but it's very humid now. Feels roasting when the sun comes out.
    The rain is back and temperature back down to 11C. Fire is lit again for the 4th night in a row, hopefully this really is the last night of lighting fire's this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm actually being you, Gonzo. Sun 10c here in North kildare at only 9.7c but no rain. It looks be petering off just before it reaches me.

At least it'll feel a lot warmer from tomorrow on. With high humidities and lighter winds, direct sun will feel rather hot as we near the solstice.

highdef wrote: »
    I'm actually being you, Gonzo. Sun 10c here in North kildare at only 9.7c but no rain. It looks be petering off just before it reaches me.

At least it'll feel a lot warmer from tomorrow on. With high humidities and lighter winds, direct sun will feel rather hot as we near the solstice.

definitely looks warmer from tomorrow, should be at least 5 or 6C warmer tomorrow in eastern areas, particularly around the greater Dublin region which has felt the brunt of the cold temperatures and rain of the past few days.

18C or 19C tomorrow will make a huge difference. As a whole next week does not look as bad as this week just gone either with possibly a few dry days after Tuesday. Even if the westerlies come back from next weekend it shouldn't be as cold and hopefully not as windy as this cold spell has been.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

On met.ie, tomorrow's forecast is for 18C.
    But when I look at the hourly forecast, there is a high of 20C.

Why the discrepancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Why the discrepancy?

They tend to average out the weather for the 'day' listing, rather than use the extreme values.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why the discrepancy?

Where exactly is the forecast of 18°c?
    Is it before you click on the hourly breakdown?

If so that always seems to happen.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where exactly is the forecast of 18°c?
    Is it before you click on the hourly breakdown?

If so that always seems to happen.

Yes, 18C is the daily forecast, I had assumed that would be the forecasted high temp. Don't know why they do it that way...

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    They tend to average out the weather for the 'day' listing, rather than use the extreme values.

Ah, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ah, interesting.

For the temps it might seem a little strange, as we're used to that usually being the max temp. It makes more sense for the weather pictogram, because you have to provide a single icon representation of what might be a massive range of weather in a 24 hour period. Look at Sunday in Dublin, for example, heavy rain in the early morning, dry and cloudy around midday and the afternoon, and then sunnier in the late afternoon/evening. They go with a cloudy icon for the day, which I guess is probably a fair summary!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Prolonged thundery downpours this weekend, mainly in Munster and south Leinster on Saturday afternoon and evening. Becoming widespread on Sunday afternoon and evening, with a risk of spot flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 13/06/2020 to 21:00 Sunday 14/06/2020

Issued: 20:00 Friday 12/06/20

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was another good day in the west. It looks like we might escape the rain till Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Lenticular clouds in Sligo today. No rain though.

Image may be wrong way round as that's what usually happens me on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

About as far away from a summers morning as you could possibly imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another miserable rainy day. Ground is now saturated from all rain over the last few days.

About as far away from a summers morning as you could possibly imagine.

Much improved here! Photo just now in the yard

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1271730292064124929?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sky touching the ground here but feeling a lot milder than recent days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sky down to the ground here in Kildare. 100% humidity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement