Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Beersmith wrote: »
    Is this one of the most drawn out pre orders ever for a car? And still people don't know the cost. Quite bizarre.

Some Tesla M3 preorders took close on 3 years IIRC but that's Tesla.
    VW ain't no Tesla :P.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Beersmith wrote: »
    Is this one of the most drawn out pre orders ever for a car? And still people don't know the cost. Quite bizarre.

We were originally told around April to place final orders for the car, it's now looking like late June, early July. Given we're in the middle of once in a lifetime global pandemic that's resulted in worldwide factory closures and business furloughs, then I think we can forgive a couple of month delay.

I've ordered a Mini Electric, was originally told July delivery. The Cowley Mini factory closed on the March 23rd. Last I heard they were planning to re-open May 18th. I'm not going to ring the dealer in July demanding to know where my car is. I fully expect to have to wait until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

anyone got anything from their dealers? when i logged into my VW account today I see that ordering process moved to the last part - 'Choose your car and convert to order'. but no info from VW or the dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can you choose your car? Any Price?

Can you choose your car? Any Price?

No can't see any option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I see the same. The step in the process has moved on but there is nothing else and no further details. There is a shortcut to Manage your ID3 Prebooking when you go to volkswagen.ie and click electic cars. I don't remember seeing that before but I haven't looked in ages.

The last email said early May for orders so maybe that's why the step moved but that's since been superseded by the twitter announcement of June for LHD and July for RHD.

I'm still considering the plus version. Expected price was estimated at 42,000. I metallic paint is expected to be about 600 on top. I'm just wondering now if the 42k includes delivery etc or could they sneak an extra 800-900 on top?

42 K is pretty pricey in fairness does it come with any decent lane keep assist ? and for what battery and CCS charging power ?

That's 42 before grants though? Hardly 52k would put the max near 60k

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

That's 42 before grants though? Hardly 52k would put the max near 60k

Nope, 42k after grants. Pricey as you say but the the Niro is about the same price and the Kona not much less.

The lane assist is on point I'm not totally clear on. I think the plus will warn you and divert you back into lane if you start to stray. The Max has something they call travel assist that's more advanced. I don't do much long distance motorway driving so I'm not too bothered about that.

I've always lane assist turned off it's a bit of a nuisance, automatic braking is handy though it's saved me a few times from minor fender benders, have it in the golf and Mrs car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Loads of pictures floating around of the VW Tiguan version of the ID.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Kramer wrote: »
    Back roads?
    You do realise the Model S is as wide as a wide, wide thing?

:D

Indeed, only the Model 3 is narrower than, say, an R8. And that's bloody wide.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

42 K is pretty pricey in fairness does it come with any decent lane keep assist ? and for what battery and CCS charging power ?

All ID3 1st come with 58kWh, 100kW charging, 204hp and lane keeping Assist. Travel assist is only in Max @49k. Plus model at 42k is pricy as it’s ab 7k more expensive than the base model (provisional prices in the booklet). You get extra adaptive LEDs, keyless access, 2 extra USB ports tinted windows, reversing camera, bigger wheels - not worth 7k though.

All ID3 1st come with 58kWh, 100kW charging, 204hp and lane keeping Assist. Travel assist is only in Max @49k. Plus model at 42k is pricy as it’s ab 7k more expensive than the base model (provisional prices in the booklet). You get extra adaptive LEDs, keyless access, 2 extra USB ports tinted windows, reversing camera, bigger wheels - not worth 7k though.

At that price I'd prefer a base M3.

5.6 seconds 0-100. Autopilot.

Much faster fast charging.

7 K gets full auto driving, can be added later via update- I think ?

+ I'd say it is a good bit larger then the id.3 ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a bit difficult with the 1st Editions as they've tried to include features to hit a range of price points.
    When the series production starts you'll be able to spec up from a selection of packs.

Of the 1st models, I think there is good value in the ID.3 1st, only real thing missing that most people expect in a circa €35k car would be the rear view cam.
    Personally I put more value on parking sensors than cameras so wouldn't be too bothered.

It says a lot for the worlds car manufacturer if they can't make a car to compete with the M3, Tesla being a tiny company by comparison. VW have so much more money they could have done better. There's no reason they couldn't make a proper EV passat, Tiguan etc other than they can't be arsed, if it was their bread and butter you can be sure they would have decent electric cars at decent price.

Sure the base id.3 will be cheap enough, but spec it up and it will still be far less of a car than the m3 for 50k.

And again, the m3 can add full self driving, ok, I don't know why Tesla advertise it as full self driving, it's far from it but you can be sure it will be a lot better than than whatever automation VW have in the id.3 but they key thing is that it can be added via software should you want it in the future and are willing to shell out 7K, I wouldn't because it's not good enough yet but the option is there all the same and for the future buyer so should see value hold a lot better.

I could for instance wait for a 3 year old high spec M3 and add the better A.I.

+ the ability to charge at 170 Kw is a massive deal especially coming from 50 Kw. VW have the cheek to ask for more money to charge at 110 Kw, clowns!

It's a process, they have a number of models to roll out over the next few years.
    The ID.4 is the Tiguan eAlternative, they've also show of the ID. Vizzion and Space Vizzion which is their Passat equivalent.

Any Model 3 competitor won't be coming from VW, they'll leave that to Audi. As far as I know, the ID.5 (Vizzion) will be developed at Zwickau but will be built in a different factory. We'll probably see an A4 e-Tron at around the same time.

Personally I'm not fussed about full self driving, I think it's something that will happen in the future for robotaxi's but I can't ever imagine it being something I'd spec on my own car.

liamog wrote: »
    It's a process, they have a number of models to roll out over the next few years.
    The ID.4 is the Tiguan eAlternative, they've also show of the ID. Vizzion and Space Vizzion which is their Passat equivalent.

Any Model 3 competitor won't be coming from VW, they'll leave that to Audi. As far as I know, the ID.5 (Vizzion) will be developed at Zwickau but will be built in a different factory. We'll probably see an A4 e-Tron at around the same time.

Personally I'm not fussed about full self driving, I think it's something that will happen in the future for robotaxi's but I can't ever imagine it being something I'd spec on my own car.

Yeah they have ID.4 concept etc, they're all going to be silly money.

A4 electric or whatever they will call it will be silly money.

Automation is good for texters and those browsing facebook or as one chap in work admitted to with a leaf, watching movies on the way home with pro pilot on, I was passing him a few times and he had his eyes off the road. It's these People who will benefit the most. Can't stop People using phones, it's not going to happen. So the more automation the better if you ask me. God know how many crashes on the N7 are related to phone use.

I wouldn't mind a more automated boring commute up the M9/M7/N7 and back. I do like driving off the motorway a lot more.

I don't think it's silly money, I reckon the ID.4 will start at around €35k after grants and go up to around €55k, just like the Tiguan can start at €31k and go up to €51k.
    One of my frustrations with the Korean manufacturers is that you can't spec them to your own liking, at least with the Germans you can if you are willing to pay for it.#

They do need to make some progress on bringing the prices down before grants, hopefully we'll see that with the economies of scale and once some of the investment costs have been spread.

It says a lot for the worlds car manufacturer if they can't make a car to compete with the M3, Tesla being a tiny company by comparison. VW have so much more money they could have done better. There's no reason they couldn't make a proper EV passat, Tiguan etc other than they can't be arsed, if it was their bread and butter you can be sure they would have decent electric cars at decent price.

Sure the base id.3 will be cheap enough, but spec it up and it will still be far less of a car than the m3 for 50k.

And again, the m3 can add full self driving, ok, I don't know why Tesla advertise it as full self driving, it's far from it but you can be sure it will be a lot better than than whatever automation VW have in the id.3 but they key thing is that it can be added via software should you want it in the future and are willing to shell out 7K, I wouldn't because it's not good enough yet but the option is there all the same and for the future buyer so should see value hold a lot better.

I could for instance wait for a 3 year old high spec M3 and add the better A.I.

+ the ability to charge at 170 Kw is a massive deal especially coming from 50 Kw. VW have the cheek to ask for more money to charge at 110 Kw, clowns!

The id3 1st is better specced than the model 3, it's lacking the range but can still get you nearly 300km for 30 minutes charge, The interior is way better in the vw you've also VW's dealer network to fall back on. I don't see where the Tesla wins unless you want to spend 65k for the long range and need the all out speed for 0-60. It's worth looking at a real M3 if racing to the red line gives you a kick.
    Is full self driving an advantage, at 7k I'd say no leave the driving to the driver. You still have to keep your hands on the wheel regardless.
    Personally I'd feel better buying from VW and the local dealer, it's a lot more complete package your buying into. I'm very impressed with how VW look after you, I'd definitely buy one again.
    Can't wait for some driving reviews, all out speed might not be so relevant. 200bhp rwd might just be enough for some fun.

• Advertisement

The ID.3 1st has a 430km WLTP range versus the TM3 SR+ with a 409km WLTP. So broadly speaking I'd class that as the same.

liamog wrote: »
    The ID.3 1st has a 430km WLTP range versus the TM3 SR+ with a 409km WLTP. So broadly speaking I'd class that as the same.

There very close, VW entry will definitely have an advantage over it, is it 400 coming to Ireland, that should put it close or at the top selling EV's here this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So we are back to the VW v Tesla conversation :-)

For some reason we're back to comparing the car that starts at €30,000 and is a compact family hatchback to the D segment luxury sedan that starts at €49,000.

I swear some people don't realise that you can most VW cars can have upwards of €20,000 of options compared to their base model.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So we are back to the VW v Tesla conversation :-)

I was trying to move it to M3 vs Tesla model 3 but mad lad didn't take the bait:D

I was trying to move it to M3 vs Tesla model 3 but mad lad didn't take the bait:D

So you're admitting to driving a thread off topic, where did I put that banhammer again???

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't see where the Tesla wins unless you want to spend 65k for the long range
    The long range is 59k, not 65k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Hot off the presses........we're off & running June 17th :cool:.
    Dear Kramer,

We hope that you and your families are safe and well.

We are pleased to inform you that the priority ordering window for the ID.3 1st will now open on June 17th and will remain open for 4 weeks.

Kramer wrote: »
    Hot off the presses........we're off & running June 17th :cool:.

Same here. Finally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ballix... I was hoping there would be a bit more of a delay. The Niro isn't a year old until July and I can't decide if I want to replace it with the ID3.

The Niro is an excellent EV and I'm not sure the ID3 would be an upgrade... probably not.

Trade-in value of the Niro would probably decide for me.

Advertisement