Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Some weekend of weather to be thinking about these tests! Wish I did them Friday instead of waiting as if I'll magically get smarter over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭griffid

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Some weekend of weather to be thinking about these tests! Wish I did them Friday instead of waiting as if I'll magically get smarter over the weekend!

Here’s your sister. It’s worse I’m getting and better the weather is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Do you have to do numerical and verbal before you do the situational judgrment?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Do you have to do numerical and verbal before you do the situational judgrment?
    No. You can do the tests in any order, and you don't have to do them all in one sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Was it just me or is the practice numerical test unbelievably hard? So many inter related calculations needed for each one. I only got 5 right in my first go OUCH!

More practice needed before the real thing. Maybe its just me but these seem a lot harder than the Cut-e ones i'd previously successfully completed or maybe i'm just out of practice :-).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 MrMistoffelees

Orchid1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it generally takes to get the results?

Took 3 weeks last time

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Just completed there. Found numerical really difficult..But it's not my strong point at all. Really struggled and I did lots of practice..it would be a miracle if i passed it! Verbal was fine and sit jud was also ok but just took a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pinkmouse2020

jaja321 wrote: »
    Just completed there. Found numerical really difficult..But it's not my strong point at all. Really struggled and I did lots of practice..it would be a miracle if i passed it! Verbal was fine and sit jud was also ok but just took a lot of time.

Same as that found numerical so hard.... Despite hours of practice... Hoping overall for a good score... First time applying so not 100% on how it all works...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Audreyly wrote: »
    Did the exams yesterday evening, found the numerical very tough, 18 questions in 25 minutes. didn’t complete all the questions so guessed the last few, let’s hope no negative marking lol, Practice test was different to the real test. Had a glitch in the situational section, one of my scenarios didn’t match the questions I was being asked, Q’s 61-67, have email the help line about it, waiting on a reply, there are 16 scenarios in this section but 100 questions overall

Same here- emailed them and waiting on reply. Did you get one?
    Siutational was complete pain in the bum.. not like previous IMO. Not even geared towards CS!
    Maths and verbal fun to look forward to tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Landslide79

Just did the numerical there - would definitely agree that the actual test is easier than the practice tests...however I let the change in structure overwhelm me and my gut tells me that I didn't do enough to pass. A lot of educated guesses were made and I didn't actually do that many calculations! I'll tackle the verbal and the questionnaire tomorrow on a fresh head.

Best of luck to ye all, it's definitely worth taking a minute at the beginning of the test to collect yourself and then I'm sure you will fly through it . Ye all deserve to go through so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Rainbowstar

Rdwrer wrote: »
    How do you know this?

It has been discussed on here numerous times last campaign. I know I usually just about pass the numerical so it’s clear to me there’s no negative marking.
    I get marks for what I pass.
    Equally I always score quite high in Verbal & Situational but I find these easy.
    That’s what I’m going on & many have agreed with me before on that.
    Also, you are told not to spend too long in any question. They would tell you there if there was negative marking or ‘guess’ rather than tell you to move on if you don’t know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The good lady wife just did the tests earlier - similar to what you are all saying - maths and verbal v hard the situation thing not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just a thought, could people set up multiple accounts and do several trial runs of the exam? What is there to stop them? If they use different email accounts and made up pps numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 compaq32

I hate that there are no decent situational analysis sample tests. I did well on these last time both online and supervised but it would be great to prepare better.
    This is the most important score in terms of your placement on the order of merit (OOM).
    Best of luck everyone.
    If anyone knows a Mary Poppins please send them my way!!!!![/QUOTE]

Hi what makes you say the situational analysis is the most important for OOM please?

Finished. I need a drink. I can’t believe we might have to do all that again under supervision???

Siutational was complete pain in the bum.. not like previous IMO. Not even geared towards CS!

Apart from.myself and Audley, did anyone else find this?
    Should have taken a pic of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Zulu Art

Just a thought, could people set up multiple accounts and do several trial runs of the exam? What is there to stop them? If they use different email accounts and made up pps numbers?

One would have to assume that the links in the publicjobs.ie message is specific to prevent this? Or at least trace it. Plus supervised repeat may catch the cheat

Apart from.myself and Audley, did anyone else find this?
    Should have taken a pic of it!

Yes 61-67 didn’t seem to match the scenario for me. I just answered based on the wording in the responses instead and emailed them after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dellbell111

I just did the tests, found I didn't have enough time with the numerical and took guesses for the last 4 questions. Oh well . I am treating this as experience as it's my first time applying. Can't see myself passing based on my numerical results . The numerical was easier compared to the practise round in fairness but I don't think I have met the standard. Does anyone know what you need to pass/get through to the next stage based on previous applications ? I take it each year is different but just as a guide

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Audreyly

Yeah I have gotten a reply but it’s more of a brush off and they are saying the questions are linked to the paragraph, I replied back explaining as simply as possible what the problem was as I thought maybe they don’t understand me and again the reply seemed to be trying to brush me off and indicating that I was the one that didn’t understand the question and they didn’t even look at the paragraph or the questions (I had sent a screen shot of the paragraph and the first two questions), my original messages wasn’t replied to until after 11.30 last night which I am assuming the help desk is not in England. Maybe if more people who have the same problem send them a message they might look into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Did them this morning (verbal and numerical). Thought verbal was fine but numerical didn't get finished so I might be done for there. They aren't too bad just time is the killer. Situational later.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Audreyly

Seems like an awful lot of work, you would of had to have submitted a new application form each time as the link that is sent to you from pas for the exam is unique to you (this is what it says in the message from pas), I did loads of practice tests in the week prior to doing the exams and still found the maths difficult

Audreyly wrote: »
    Yeah I have gotten a reply but it’s more of a brush off and they are saying the questions are linked to the paragraph, I replied back explaining as simply as possible what the problem was as I thought maybe they don’t understand me and again the reply seemed to be trying to brush me off and indicating that I was the one that didn’t understand the question and they didn’t even look at the paragraph or the questions (I had sent a screen shot of the paragraph and the first two questions), my original messages wasn’t replied to until after 11.30 last night which I am assuming the help desk is not in England. Maybe if more people who have the same problem send them a message they might look into it

I was brushed off too.
    PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

Does anyone know whether your numerical score is counted in the overall score? or is it pass/fail?

Tipp star wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether your numerical score is counted in the overall score? or is it pass/fail?

Last one of these that I did (HEO a few years ago) Maths wasn’t counted for the re-sit but you still had to complete and pass it again and score similarly to your online score. I want to check the booklet to see if it clarifies that for this comp.

I was brushed off too.
    PM sent.

I’ve had no response yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Done and dusted!

I found the Numerical difficult in the time which is unusual as I normally ace it. Verbal surprisingly OK and one can never really judge the situational.

And now we wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    Done and dusted!

I found the Numerical difficult in the time which is unusual as I normally ace it. Verbal surprisingly OK and one can never really judge the situational.

And now we wait......

Same with me. I was expecting a lot of calculus but in fact there was just a lot of multi-step basic addition and multiplication of columns. The kind of thing you'd normally use Excel for. All those steps wasted a huge amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

griffid wrote: »
    Yes 61-67 didn’t seem to match the scenario for me. I just answered based on the wording in the responses instead and emailed them after.

I did the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Will do SJT tonite after it cools down. Numeric and verbal first thing in the morning. Trust the weather to be this good in the middle of it.

Advertisement