Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

There's no negative marking you're just scored for the ones you get right!

How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Does anyone know how many questions are in the Situational exam?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RedBarchetta

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

There's no negative marking you're just scored for the ones you get right!

PAS have specifically refused to confirm/deny this. How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orchid1

SJ Test done. There was technical glitch half way through where it told me my answers couldn’t be saved . Had to ring the helpline but all fine in the end. Just in case anyone has a similar issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭griffid

Orchid1 wrote: »
    SJ Test done. There was technical glitch half way through where it told me my answers couldn’t be saved . Had to ring the helpline but all fine in the end. Just in case anyone has a similar issue

Oh lord the panic!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Adman13

Are they using only the verbal and situational tests for ranking purposes, do we know?

Hope so as my numerical wouldn't have been top marks for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MrMistoffelees

Done & dusted - phew!
    Now for a glass of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MrMistoffelees

Adman13 wrote: »
    Are they using only the verbal and situational tests for ranking purposes, do we know?

Hope so as my numerical wouldn't have been top marks for sure!

That’s what they used last time

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

quad_red wrote: »
    PAS have specifically refused to confirm/deny this. How do you know?

I guess we don't know this for sure but I'd imagine if there was negative marking there would have to be a note in the instructions telling you not to guess. From memory, don't these tests usually say something about not spending too long in a question and make your best guess and move on??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Adman13

That’s what they used last time

Thanks, hope so.

Does anyone know how long it generally takes to get the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭The Student

Just completed them. Best of luck to all. Any idea will there still be physical sitting of exams in future phases of this competition with covid etc?

Just finished them too. Found numerical very tough

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Done. Found verbal fine but did struggle with time in the numerical. And the practice question at the beginning totally threw me!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Connected99

I got a 2nd message from PAS Friday saying there was issues with link issued on Thurs 28th and they sent the link again for the actual tests.. 😊

Based on reading the last few posts here...
    Are the verbal/numerical layouts different from the practice tests we were sent from PAS?
    I've done the cut-E tests before but not SHL tests....

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Caip79

completed tests, found numerical extremely difficult, was running out of time and ended up guessing a lot. Verbal and situational I found fine. Does anyone know if we need to get a certain rate on numerical to be considered or is the marking just against situational and verbal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dellbell111

Caip79 wrote: »
    completed tests, found numerical extremely difficult, was running out of time and ended up guessing a lot. Verbal and situational I found fine. Does anyone know if we need to get a certain rate on numerical to be considered or is the marking just against situational and verbal?

How much time was given for the numerical. I am Totally dreading it as it's not my strong point

18 mins for 12 q’s

It’s 18 questions in 25 mins. I did it earlier and that was definitely the timing. Not sure about above post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 mariagirl

Im just wondering if these tests, especially the numerical are much more difficult to what PAS sent in the pre test material a couple of weeks ago. I found these impossible..are the real tests equally difficult? are there a lot of cslculations in the test one? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭griffid

I have been doing practice tests for numerical all week and I have literally gotten no better. Soul destroying. Surely by now I’d have coped on to at least reading the question properly???

I did practice numerical questions all week, was feeling far more confident and getting the majority of practice questions right but I didn’t feel the practice questions reflected the difficulty of the test to be honest. Time was also a big issue for the last few questions. I’m not even sure i managed a pass in the end. The only thing is that a lot of people seem to struggle with the numerical so I guess that’s some consolation

sorry typo

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

thanks

16 scenarios 100 questions in total..

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

I got a 2nd message from PAS Friday saying there was issues with link issued on Thurs 28th and they sent the link again for the actual tests.. ��

Based on reading the last few posts here...
    Are the verbal/numerical layouts different from the practice tests we were sent from PAS?
    I've done the cut-E tests before but not SHL tests....

Thanks..

I've done cut e also.
    I found these ones to be alot more generous time wise and also alot less reading. No sifting through tabs.. Wether or not my answers are correct now I don't know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I did it this afternoon, found it very difficult, even though I remember some of the questions from previous years (work uniforms costings have come up many times!)
    Didn't like not being able to revisit a question if I skipped it.
    Oh well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

I like that the numerical test had several questions on one graph / table, as opposed to the practice in which you had one question per graph/table and therefore had to absorb new information each time. Not that it helped me much, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Audreyly

Did the exams yesterday evening, found the numerical very tough, 18 questions in 25 minutes. didn’t complete all the questions so guessed the last few, let’s hope no negative marking lol, Practice test was different to the real test. Had a glitch in the situational section, one of my scenarios didn’t match the questions I was being asked, Q’s 61-67, have email the help line about it, waiting on a reply, there are 16 scenarios in this section but 100 questions overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Audreyly

Did the exams yesterday evening, found the numerical very tough, 18 questions in 25 minutes. didn’t complete all the questions so guessed the last few, let’s hope no negative marking lol, Practice test was different to the real test. Had a glitch in the situational section, one of my scenarios didn’t match the questions I was being asked, Q’s 61-67, have email the help line about it, waiting on a reply, there are 16 scenarios in this section but 100 questions overall

Advertisement