Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

TippCashel wrote: »
    Confirming I did not get the payment today. Damn

Since I wasn’t working last week it sounds like I should’ve received even though I left a note on it saying I’d be back 18th May

Well I don't care what anyone says or suggests but I'm not signing off until I get paid from work , I was due back today but last night I got an email saying they are not happy with the layout of the job and have to change it again so no work until next week now

One of the lads closed his case yesterday he is fuming

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

popsy09 wrote: »
    Well I don't care what anyone says or suggests but I'm not signing off until I get paid from work , I was due back today but last night I got an email saying they are not happy with the layout of the job and have to change it again so no work until next week now

One of the lads closed his case yesterday he is fuming
    TippCashel wrote: »
    Confirming I did not get the payment today. Damn

Since I wasn’t working last week it sounds like I should’ve received even though I left a note on it saying I’d be back 18th May

The Government spokesperson confirmed yesterday to close your PUP claim on the day you return to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what happens if next week is wet and none of the outside work can be done. is there a way to Xs and Os it

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

plodder wrote: »
    I don't think there is an obligation as such. This is the kind of dilemma the government has created. If I re-open I have to give up the payment, but how do I know how much business will be available when I do? What if there is none?

They should have offered the 350 to self employed (who were still able to work) as a back-stop that you could claim the difference between whatever work you can get and the 350. And they should do the same for people who can now go back to work.

That would be sensible alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

The Government spokesperson confirmed yesterday to close your PUP claim on the day you return to work.

Well the government spokesperson can do without money for two weeks I can't , when I recieve my first pay check I will sign off and not a day sooner ..who is to say i go back for a day and they can't sort out social distancing properly and close the job again

I will be after closing my case and will not get it again

I'f they want the money back at the end of the year that's fine by me but can't afford to take the chance now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Hi all.

If I take on a second job while on the wage subsidy scheme with my regular employer, will my regular employer be informed in any way by Revenue, and does it risk them cutting my payment off? A little known fact that I only found out about 2 weeks ago after contacting citizens advice is that while it is illegal to work while claiming COVID 19 dole it is perfectly legal to work all the hours available in one job and be paid wage subsidy from your old, main job. I take it I need to add the second employment on Revenue to avoid emergency tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

Hi guys

Can anyone who closed their payment confirm backpay or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Sorry if it's been answered a million times before, if you are on the emergency covid payment and you apply for job seekers allowance I presume you should just close the covid payment on the first day you start getting your job seekers allowance or should you close it the day you apply for JSA?

popsy09 wrote: »
    Well the government spokesperson can do without money for two weeks I can't , when I recieve my first pay check I will sign off and not a day sooner ..who is to say i go back for a day and they can't sort out social distancing properly and close the job again

I will be after closing my case and will not get it again

I'f they want the money back at the end of the year that's fine by me but can't afford to take the chance now

I had a bad run of agency work in January. Two full weeks off, then back to work (so signed off) and then job ended and was off again for a few days.

Explained this to the ignorant pig at Intreo who said I should have suspended, rather than cancelled, my claim, if I thought my work was still going to be patchy. No ****er explained at the time that this was an option.

Dole is designed in this country for useless ***** who don't want to work for the rest of their lives, rather than a temporary leg up for the 96% of people who do want to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

I had a bad run of agency work in January. Two full weeks off, then back to work (so signed off) and then job ended and was off again for a few days.

Explained this to the ignorant pig at Intreo who said I should have suspended, rather than cancelled, my claim, if I thought my work was still going to be patchy. No ****er explained at the time that this was an option.

Dole is designed in this country for useless ***** who don't want to work for the rest of their lives, rather than a temporary leg up for the 96% of people who do want to work.

Yes that's right.

I've gone from 1000 a week to 100 a week (or even less because I'm not paid during school holidays for that 100), have now been booted off the pandemic unemployment scheme. Had I been smart and quit the 100 a week remaining work, I would have been able to continue claiming.

• Advertisement

Hi all.

If I take on a second job while on the wage subsidy scheme with my regular employer, will my regular employer be informed in any way by Revenue, and does it risk them cutting my payment off? A little known fact that I only found out about 2 weeks ago after contacting citizens advice is that while it is illegal to work while claiming COVID 19 dole it is perfectly legal to work all the hours available in one job and be paid wage subsidy from your old, main job. I take it I need to add the second employment on Revenue to avoid emergency tax?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Hi guys

Can anyone who closed their payment confirm backpay or not?

I was lucky enough to find a job, albeit one that pays barely over the €350. But glad to have the security. No sign of the back-payment though, and I waited 4 weeks to eventually have mine sorted (through no fault of my own; lost letter!), so would hope to get that back at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Sútalún wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to find a job, albeit one that pays barely over the €350. But glad to have the security. No sign of the back-payment though, and I waited 4 weeks to eventually have mine sorted (through no fault of my own; lost letter!), so would hope to get that back at some stage.

Once again, there was never any garuntee about the back payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sútalún

splinter65 wrote: »
    Once again, there was never any garuntee about the back payment.

I never said there was? Just clarifying that I hadn't received it, as someone had asked.

I do feel like it would be unfair if two people who applied at the same time received different amounts, but we shall see if it ever comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

No back payment here yet either. Missed 3+ weeks here with delay in application that wasn’t my fault. Hopefully will see it someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sparky_42

Hi all,
    I was laid off on April 3rd, and applied for both the Covid PUP & Jobseekers the same day online via MyWelfare.
    Covid payment approved straight away, but Jobseekers still just says ‘Application Submitted’ and there has been no action on it for 7 weeks now.
    I have a dependant spouse & 2 dependant children so am due more than the €350 on Jobseekers (have plenty of PRSI stamps paid up) so was hoping it would be processed & override the PUP payment ASAP.
    I’m just wondering is anyone else waiting this long for their Jobseekers Application to even be looked at???
    Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Hi All,

I was on the Covid €350 payment for 3 weeks but returned to work last Tuesday. I closed my claim the day I returned to work but today I've just received my 4th payment of €350.

Because I only returned to work last Tuesday instead of Monday, I was expecting a pro-rata payment for last week (€50 if the payment is over 7 days or €70 if its for 5 working days). Presumably this was an administrative mistake on their side and they shouldn't be paying me for the full week when I was only off for some of it?

I don't want to be receiving money that I'm not due, especially as I'm self employed with the possibility of an audit down the line. Was anybody else in the same position or can anyone suggest how to stop it / give them back the money if it was a mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Hi All,

I was on the Covid €350 payment for 3 weeks but returned to work last Tuesday. I closed my claim the day I returned to work but today I've just received my 4th payment of €350.

Because I only returned to work last Tuesday instead of Monday, I was expecting a pro-rata payment for last week (€50 if the payment is over 7 days or €70 if its for 5 working days). Presumably this was an administrative mistake on their side and they shouldn't be paying me for the full week when I was only off for some of it?

I don't want to be receiving money that I'm not due, especially as I'm self employed with the possibility of an audit down the line. Was anybody else in the same position or can anyone suggest how to stop it / give them back the money if it was a mistake?

Weird yeah a few people I work with said they signed off last Monday morning due to returning to work last Monday morning but they also received the 350 this morning when not expecting it.

Anyone know what's happening? Very strange......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Weird yeah a few people I work with said they signed off last Monday morning due to returning to work last Monday morning but they also received the 350 this morning when not expecting it.

Anyone know what's happening? Very strange......

The payment is made in arrears not in advance. The payment received on Tuesday is in regard to the week previous to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

splinter65 wrote: »
    The payment is made in arrears not in advance. The payment received on Tuesday is in regard to the week previous to that.

Yes but if you sign off last Monday then you get payment last Tuesday (to cover the arrears) so that should end the matter, why get paid again this Tuesday? That's what people are asking, is it an error and how do they recoup the money if its an error?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Has anyone else had hany issues cancelling their payment going back to work?

I followed the protocal online at https://certification.mywelfare.ie/Close-Pandemic-Unemployment-Application/

after going back to work, got payed the day after which i thought maybe it take a few days to process but got payed again today so again i cancelled but this time taking pictures of each step as proof, they dont send you any confirmation email either which you can use as proof.

just wondering if this has happened anyone else? Its a bit frustrating because im greatful for getting it but dont want to be getting payed when im employed or get a bill at the end of the year for someone else not processing my payment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

dave 27 wrote: »
    Has anyone else had hany issues cancelling their payment going back to work?

I followed the protocal online at https://certification.mywelfare.ie/Close-Pandemic-Unemployment-Application/

after going back to work, got payed the day after which i thought maybe it take a few days to process but got payed again today so again i cancelled but this time taking pictures of each step as proof, they dont send you any confirmation email either which you can use as proof.

just wondering if this has happened anyone else?

In papers yesterday it said 35k people who went back to work last week or even yesterday would be paid this week.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    In papers yesterday it said 35k people who went back to work last week or even yesterday would be paid this week.

Why is the reason did they say? There should be better efficiancy trying to get through everyone instead of paying them again and costing the country.

I suppose the sheer volume is so big it just mightnt be feasable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’m back to work 2 weeks. I went online and notified them that I was back to work and didn’t need the 350 Payment but I still received the Money today. Will they come knocking for it later?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 this-is-the-one

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m back to work 2 weeks. I went online and notified them that I was back to work and didn’t need the 350 Payment but I still received the Money today. Will they come knocking for it later?

Same here. Apologies if it has been answered earlier in the thread.

I'm back to work since Monday 18th, closed my application for the covid payment the weekend before. I was paid the 350 last Tuesday which I wasn't sure would I get or not, I wasn't going to be paid from work until Thursday 28th so I was happy enough to get it. Just checked there and I've been paid this week as well which I reckon I shouldn't have.

Same here. Apologies if it has been answered earlier in the thread.

I'm back to work since Monday 18th, closed my application for the covid payment the weekend before. I was paid the 350 last Tuesday which I wasn't sure would I get or not, I wasn't going to be paid from work until Thursday 28th so I was happy enough to get it. Just checked there and I've been paid this week as well which I reckon I shouldn't have.

Im in the same position too, i cancelled the payment twice already and the second time i did it i took photos to prove it was done, seems quite ridiculous that were still getting payed.

the annoying thing is we dont get a confirmation email to prove we closed it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭- bo -

plodder wrote: »
    I don't think there is an obligation as such. This is the kind of dilemma the government has created. If I re-open I have to give up the payment, but how do I know how much business will be available when I do? What if there is none?

They should have offered the 350 to self employed (who were still able to work) as a back-stop that you could claim the difference between whatever work you can get and the 350. And they should do the same for people who can now go back to work.

It's a very awkward situation. I'm also self-employed. Within a couple of days of lockdown mid-march, I received call after call and email after email to say all work coming to me had been suspended or in some cases cancelled. I only had a couple of small invoices outstanding at the time.

I went straight down and applied for the €350. I'm 32 years old and it's the first time I've ever applied for a welfare payment of any sort. Glad I did. Looking back I'm glad I did, as my income has averaged out at about €100-150 a week since. I have my usual personal and sole trader expenses as well as a mortgage and loan, so it's keeping my head above water with those.

I've had some small pieces of work ongoing, but not working at full tilt. I have work still to invoice for. But all my (few remaining) clients are very very slow to pay at the minute, probably understandable since they have worries of their own.

So... I don't really know what to do at the minute. I have outstanding invoices which could be paid tomorrow, or they could be paid in 2 months. Might even get a couple of chancers worming their way out of paying completely. I want to get off this thing as soon as possible. In an ideal scenario I could refuse the payment certain weeks if I'd taken enough money in but avail of it the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm still on the unemployment and not been paid this week. Have been issues with it, was recently taken off it cos was on WSS for few days in April. Had it sorted though and was paid for last week a d the missed week before that, so annoying if I'm off it again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Can someone help me here as I haven't a clue about social welfare.
    I'm on the covid payment (the €350). Work in (but temporarily laid off from a pub). I married with one child (he's 8). My wife is on disability for life (blind in one eye as a result of being born very premature).
    I read that I could/should be on an increased job seekers or something those lines.
    Anyone know what I should be applying for?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭phormium

In theory you could get 203 jobseekers benefit, 147 qualified dependent and 36 for child which is more than you are on but I don't know how your wife's existing payment is treated, don't know whether she is considered a dependent adult if she has an existing social welfare payment of her own, if it's not allowed then you are better off on what you are on.

Ring Citizens Info and find out how her payment is treated with a jobseekers benefit payment for you and then apply for that if it benefits you if you have not already done so.

PS just looked it up and presuming your wife's income is below 310 it looks like you could get a reduced dependent adult allowance, might not amount to much different to what you are on but Citizens info could tell you anyway.

Advertisement