Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

titan18 wrote: »
    Only seems to be being introduced from 29th June, which I'm not sure why.

I assume because they'll need time to check which part-time workers were earning less than 200 and which were earning more than 200, in order to move the former to the new rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

So unless you earned more than 200 per week from work you'll just be put on the same rate as the dole as if you never worked at all? That could be some hit proportionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They will have to factor in holidays and that . I was off for a week in Feb and got payed through xs and os

This is a head wrecker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I assume because they'll need time to check which part-time workers were earning less than 200 and which were earning more than 200, in order to move the former to the new rate.

Fair enough, although they probably should have started that earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

I work in a seasonal job. 14th or 15th of march to October bank holiday. I would make 5 or 600na week when I'm working. I was only back in work 3 days when we had to close. I got the covid payment.
    Will I be put back to 200 or continue on the 350?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I work in a seasonal job. 14th or 15th of march to October bank holiday. I would make 5 or 600na week when I'm working. I was only back in work 3 days when we had to close. I got the covid payment.
    Will I be put back to 200 or continue on the 350?

I think that they'll take the average of your earnings in 2019 into account in that case, if I'm interpreting the RTÉ quote titan18 quoted in post #1529 correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

If you returned to work on the 28th of May when should you receive final covid19 payment providing you signed off correctly?
    Thanks in advance!

The rule on that changed recently,

If you signed off on Thursday 28th May, your last payment would be Tuesday June 2th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

NewRed2 wrote: »
    The reports appear to suggest that the part time situation will be that anyone earning 200 euro per week OR less back in January and February will be moved to the jobseekers payment of 203 euro.
    Anyone earning MORE THAN 200 euro per week back in Jan/Feb will be kept on the current 350 euro PUP.
    That's not a fact yet, it's reported on Newstalk and The Irish Times and on RTE Radio.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/pandemic-unemployment-payment-1026182

IRISH TIMES LINK ADDED:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-wage-subsidy-and-unemployment-payment-extended-to-end-of-summer-1.4271113
    I was in full time employment up until the last weekend in March, when the lockdown was announced. I have been receiving PUP since then. I was earning more than €400 per week, going back several years. What does this potentially mean for me; that I stay on the €350?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I have been receiving the PUP since March when my workplace closed, and have been picking it up in my local post office. I want to change the way it is paid and have it go straight into my bank account instead. Has anyone else done this? This may sound silly but I'm a bit nervous about changing it due to others' experiences with administrative errors...I'm afraid if I change it, it won't go into my account or be there in the PO :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

blueser wrote: »
    I was in full time employment up until the last weekend in March, when the lockdown was announced. I have been receiving PUP since then. I was earning more than €400 per week, going back several years. What does this potentially mean for me; that I stay on the €350?

I'm sorry but it's there as clear as day, you've been earning more than €350 consistently so why would you drop to €203?

• Advertisement

I'm still unsure of how this works. If you were working part time getting €180 for 2 days and getting €120 from Welfare before signing off for the covid payment are you now just on €203 from the PUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I'm still unsure of how this works. If you were working part time getting €180 for 2 days and getting €120 from Welfare before signing off for the covid payment are you now just on €203 from the PUP?

New rules. If you earned 200 or less your now being reduced from 350 to 203.

jrosen wrote: »
    New rules. If you earned 200 or less your now being reduced from 350 to 203.
    Balls!

Balls!

Your still going to be better off.

Assuming your social welfare of 120 is still being paid

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Your still going to be better off.

Assuming your social welfare of 120 is still being paid
    It's not. To get the covid payment you have to sign off.

It's not. To get the covid payment you have to sign off.

Im not sure what you mean.

Im not sure what you mean.
    If you were working part time and available for work for the other days you were able to claim a reduced jobseekers payment. I gave the example that you could be working and earning around 160 euro and still get about 120 in jobseekers so you'd have a total of 280 per week. If you were temporarily laid off due to Covid you were able to claim the 350 covid payment but only if you signed off first and stopped the 120 from Welfare. So then you were 70 euro up on your normal income which is what some people were complaining about. But now it appears that you'll only qualify for 203 in total so a 77 euro a week drop from your normal working week.

If you were working part time and available for work for the other days you were able to claim a reduced jobseekers payment. I gave the example that you could be working and earning around 160 euro and still get about 120 in jobseekers so you'd have a total of 280 per week. If you were temporarily laid off due to Covid you were able to claim the 350 covid payment but only if you signed off first and stopped the 120 from Welfare. So then you were 70 euro up on your normal income which is what some people were complaining about. But now it appears that you'll only qualify for 203 in total so a 77 euro a week drop from your normal working week.

Ah well, the 203 is still more that you were earning through work.

Ah well, the 203 is still more that you were earning through work.
    But it is a lot less than you'd be getting if you were working part time. Did you not understand my example? You'd be getting the 203 even if you never worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would average pay for the period of Jan/Feb count when there sorting out payments??

I'm guessing its €350 on Tuesday 9th June ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would average pay for the period of Jan/Feb count when there sorting out payments??

I'm guessing its €350 on Tuesday 9th June ?

I think it’s €350 for all until June 29th, unless you’re back to work by then. So from June 30th lower payment for part timers

But it is a lot less than you'd be getting if you were working part time. Did you not understand my example? You'd be getting the 203 even if you never worked.

yes if you were working and claiming a social welfare payment. But for those who worked and weren't claiming SW they are still getting more per week.
    Guess thats the target group

Salty wrote: »
    I have been receiving the PUP since March when my workplace closed, and have been picking it up in my local post office. I want to change the way it is paid and have it go straight into my bank account instead. Has anyone else done this? This may sound silly but I'm a bit nervous about changing it due to others' experiences with administrative errors...I'm afraid if I change it, it won't go into my account or be there in the PO :o

Dont close your claim. If you reapply online and include your bank details. Next Tuesday, collect your payment in the PO and from the following week, it would in your bank account.

Assuming you entry your bank details correctly, there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Dont close your claim. If you reapply online and include your bank details. Next Tuesday, collect your payment in the PO and from the following week, it would in your bank account.

Assuming you entry your bank details correctly, there shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah I won't be closing my claim until the first week of July when I'm back in work. I can see on MyWelfare there is an option to change how it is paid - will try this after I pick up my next payment on Tuesday. It should be fine :pac:

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

It will be interesting to see how they assess the income of people on reduced JB. I read in the circular on gov.ie that those on DEASP payments such as disability, carers etc will have that included as part of their income. No mention of JB or JA though. My husband worked/works in a bar and would have only worked one day a week in Jan/feb and signed on for other days. However from Paddy’s week onwards he would earn more from working than JB. It just seems a bit unfair that when he should be earning most he’ll be at a loss.

Just an FYI....after my husbands work closed on march 15th he just continued to claim the JB rate, never applied for PUP. However when his payment was delayed one week he called in to DEASP and they gave him PUP form and told him to complete in there and then and closed his JB claim. He went a week without any income as a result. He never asked to go on the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Quick question: I'm returning to work on Monday full time. I've been in receipt of the covid payment since March. Which I will be closing off payment with the department of social welfare. Will I be getting a payment on Tuesday? Was it paid as a back week payment

GBX wrote: »
    Quick question: I'm returning to work on Monday full time. I've been in receipt of the covid payment since March. Which I will be closing off payment with the department of social welfare. Will I be getting a payment on Tuesday? Was it paid as a back week payment

Yes, PUP is paid on Tuesday in arrears (Fri-Thurs)

If you close your claim on Monday you will get two payments for:

1. Fri - Thur (1st Tuesday)
    2. Fri - Sun (2nd Tuesday - at present this is a full payment as they don't have facility for part payments.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That's good to know, thanks Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

What happens If you are paid minimum wage(not me) and the government is paying 75% of your wage under the wage subsidy scheme but your employer decides not to top up your wage? Can you be made work a full week when you will then be below minimum wage?

Advertisement