Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

Can anyone confirm if you do any work at all does that mean you're gone from the Covid €350 payment? Or would it be just for that particular week?

I was called in to help out for 1 day work this week, which I did. I might not get any more hours for another month or possibly more. Now I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't submit my hours for that days work as I'd be concerned that doing so would affect my Covid payment going forward and that 1 days work could actually end up costing me a lot of money if I lose my eligibility for the Covid €350 payment?

If they cross check the income and this pay shows up in revenue, they might consider it you're back to work... technically doesn't matter what amount of pay you got. You'll see if it affects your claim. If stopped, maybe just resubmit the claim again

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

rajqo wrote: »
    If they cross check the income and this pay shows up in revenue, they might consider it you're back to work... technically doesn't matter what amount of pay you got. You'll see if it affects your claim. If stopped, maybe just resubmit the claim again

Yeah that's why I'm considering not submitting my hours for that day if it affects my claim going forward. The days work is worth about €200 to me but it might be better just to take the hit and not get paid that money if it affects my Covid payments that I might (hopefully not) need well into the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yeah that's why I'm considering not submitting my hours for that day if it affects my claim going forward. The days work is worth about €200 to me but it might be better just to take the hit and not get paid that money if it affects my Covid payments that I might (hopefully not) need well into the summer.

So your employer will be getting it you for free, i just say to him you own me a couple of days when this is over or a couple days extra holidays later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So your employer will be getting it you for free, i just say to him you own me a couple of days when this is over or a couple days extra holidays later in the year.

He's a good employer who's been very accommodating in the past so while not ideal, it wouldn't bother me too much giving the few hours for free in this case. He wouldn't even realise if I don't submit the hours so it's not like he's out to screw me for free labour. But yeah they're good suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

What's up lads, tried to search for this but couldn't find anything similar - an internship with a law firm I had planned for June has been changed to a one-week long virtual internship (whatever that entails). I'm getting paid one week's salary but that won't be paid till a month after the internship. Will I have to go off the emergency payment and then reapply a week later? and if so, would I be better off removing myself from the payment just before i know I'm going to be paid, or when i do the work itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

My wife was temporarily layed off at the beginning of this lockdown. She signed up for the emergency payment. On the form it said to be sure and submit job seekers form within 6 weeks. Is this still the case or has the emergency payment been extended?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

DopeTech wrote: »
    My wife was temporarily layed off at the beginning of this lockdown. She signed up for the emergency payment. On the form it said to be sure and submit job seekers form within 6 weeks. Is this still the case or has the emergency payment been extended?
    She should do it anyway, the system should know she's on the COVID payment, if she's approved. If she's still unemployed when it finishes up she'll be switched over to JSB. If she restarts work then the JSB claim can be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

Hi guys just wondering if anyone knows anything about back payment?

Is it true that you receive backpay when you close your form?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

They haven’t decided yet wether they will be even paying any arrears at all, but if they do then it will be calculated when you close your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/20d803-income-supports-during-covid-19-pandemic-update/

See excerpt below

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=512415&stc=1&d=1589111167

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 covidquery

Hi all,

Long timer lurker, first time poster.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I am registered as a sole trader for over 3 years now. The majority of my work is freelance graphic design work for a chain of hotels which owing to COVID-19 are now shut.

My invoices were always of a consistent amount monthly +/- €100 and since being paid in February, I have not received any payment as the hotel closed before I was due to be paid for Februarys invoice (dated 29th Feb).

Now this is where it gets tricky, I am also a PAYE worker with a full time job which has been completely unaffected by the pandemic thankfully so my wage there remains constant.

The income from my freelance work was vital to help pay my mortgage along with childcare costs.

Is there any supports available to me? I know it's not exactly a common problem many would find themselves in but any help is appreciated.

I was told apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment but as the GOV.ie website states "You may, if your trading income has collapsed to the extent that you are available to take up other full-time employment if it was offered to you, receive a payment of €350 per week for so long as you are available to take up other work. This is equal to the standard jobseeker rate for a two adult household."

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TippCashel

Fairly sure i know someone that applied for, and is receiving the 350e COVID payment whilst still earning their normal wage (working in an essential office still).

Should I report them or will repurcussions come their way eventually anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

TippCashel wrote: »
    Fairly sure i know someone that applied for, and is receiving the 350e COVID payment whilst still earning their normal wage (working in an essential office still).

If they are paying tax on there wages it wont be long before revenue will know.

covidquery wrote: »
    Hi all,

Long timer lurker, first time poster.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I am registered as a sole trader for over 3 years now. The majority of my work is freelance graphic design work for a chain of hotels which owing to COVID-19 are now shut.

My invoices were always of a consistent amount monthly +/- €100 and since being paid in February, I have not received any payment as the hotel closed before I was due to be paid for Februarys invoice (dated 29th Feb).

Now this is where it gets tricky, I am also a PAYE worker with a full time job which has been completely unaffected by the pandemic thankfully so my wage there remains constant.

The income from my freelance work was vital to help pay my mortgage along with childcare costs.

Is there any supports available to me? I know it's not exactly a common problem many would find themselves in but any help is appreciated.

I was told apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment but as the GOV.ie website states "You may, if your trading income has collapsed to the extent that you are available to take up other full-time employment if it was offered to you, receive a payment of €350 per week for so long as you are available to take up other work. This is equal to the standard jobseeker rate for a two adult household."

Covid payment is only for people with no income from employment so it’s not for you. You’re not available to “take up other full time employment” because you already have a full time job.
    The only possible entitlement you might have is WFP or OPFP if you are parenting alone, both of which are means tested.

TippCashel wrote: »

If that person has applied for and been given the €350 then they will have to give it all back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

So what about someone who might be losing there job permanently. I'm hearing strong rumours my job is gone for good. Do I go online and apply for jsb straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TippCashel

splinter65 wrote: »
    If that person has applied for and been given the €350 then they will have to give it all back.

See that was my assumption anyway - that they’ll get taxed heavily when they stop getting the extra payment anyway so I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Hi - can anyone advise about reapplying for Covid19 payment if you are laid off by your employer for a second time??

I last worked on 19th March, have been paid Covid 19 support since. My employer called us into a meeting today to discuss returning to work in a week or more to " test the waters and see how it goes for a week or 2 weeks, no guarantees " and that if it didn't prove productive we would close indefinitely.

I very happy to return to work, all protocols will be in place BUT I cannot confirm that if we close after one or two weeks that I can go back on My Covid Payment??

My partner has also lost their job, we are home mortgage owners with children so a potential drop of €147 a week is HUGE for us at the minute should my return to work prove unsuccessful.

Can anyone advise or confirm if you can reapply to.go back on Covid payment should a return to work (same employer) not work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Hi - can anyone advise about reapplying for Covid19 payment if you are laid off by your employer for a second time??

I last worked on 19th March, have been paid Covid 19 support since. My employer called us into a meeting today to discuss returning to work in a week or more to " test the waters and see how it goes for a week or 2 weeks, no guarantees " and that if it didn't prove productive we would close indefinitely.

I very happy to return to work, all protocols will be in place BUT I cannot confirm that if we close after one or two weeks that I can go back on My Covid Payment??

My partner has also lost their job, we are home mortgage owners with children so a potential drop of €147 a week is HUGE for us at the minute should my return to work prove unsuccessful.

Can anyone advise or confirm if you can reapply to.go back on Covid payment should a return to work (same employer) not work out?

I’m in the same position and unsure what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes you could reapply, that would not be a problem, same as before. But, whether the 350 will stay in place beyond mid June is guesswork at this stage. There will be payment still but afaik Leo hasn't actually confirmed it will remain at 350.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Just got a call from work saying job is gone and I am being made redundant, I am not there long enough to get redundancy but am being paid some holiday pay this friday that I am owed .could this efect my covid payment if they see i got paid again after 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

kerryjack wrote: »
    Just got a call from work saying job is gone and I am being made redundant, I am not there long enough to get redundancy but am being paid some holiday pay this friday that I am owed .could this efect my covid payment if they see i got paid again after 6 weeks.

No your holiday pay is a statutory entitlement - your employer should at that point report to Revenue that you have been made redundant (effectively unemployed via payroll by issuing a P45). This will show Revenue you're unemployed. However from a timing perspective just keep an eye on your PUP that it's not effected.
    Make sure if you have not already done so to apply online for JSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Did anyone receive jobseekers applications in the post? A person I know who’s claiming the COVID payment got sent one by the local SW office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Did anyone receive jobseekers applications in the post? A person I know who’s claiming the COVID payment got sent one by the local SW office.

I’d say they’ll start sending them to everyone now soon. Employers are going to be all looking for the staff to come back soon and anyone still at home will be moved onto the JS payment and that’s when the fun and games will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Waiting several weeks on online application for Jobseekers Benefit.
    Sent in an application last week by post and it has now popped up as 'under review'.
    Hopefully get a further update next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

De Danann wrote: »
    Waiting several weeks on online application for Jobseekers Benefit.
    Sent in an application last week by post and it has now popped up as 'under review'.
    Hopefully get a further update next week.

Better you see them direct the holiday online application in my area was suspended as they were negligent in checking it .

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Back to work Tuesday I am paid every two weeks .if I sign off Tuesday saying I'm back to work I will get the 350 Tuesday but nothing the until the Friday two weeks after that

Tough one to take with the extra expenses going to work petrol ,lunches anything I need for work etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The tax will be due on each weeks 350 for each person late this year or more likely early next year.

I hope everyone is aware of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The tax will be due on each weeks 350 for each person late this year or more likely early next year.

I hope everyone is aware of that

It's been mentioned ad nauseam in this thread.

Advertisement