Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It's been mentioned ad nauseam in this thread.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The tax will be due on each weeks 350 for each person late this year or more likely early next year.

I hope everyone is aware of that

Once again, everyone’s tax credits and cut off point still applies to the €350. You seem to think that 100% of the €350 is taxable. Why?
    Lots of people who are in receipt of the €350 (like my daughter) are on minimum wage and once you apply the tax credits and cut off point they don’t pay any (or very much) tax in normal circumstances. This €350 will be treated the same. Also anyone who will owe tax will have it deducted over a period of 2 years.
    You seem to be grinding your teeth over this. Try to move on now.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Once again, everyone’s tax credits and cut off point still applies to the €350. You seem to think that 100% of the €350 is taxable. Why?
    Lots of people who are in receipt of the €350 (like my daughter) are on minimum wage and once you apply the tax credits and cut off point they don’t pay any (or very much) tax in normal circumstances. This €350 will be treated the same.

Lots of people aren't on the minimum wage also.
    Very important to understand that

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Lots of people aren't on the minimum wage also.
    Very important to understand that

You seem to be very vexed over this €350. It’s almost as if someone is taking it out of your pocket. You clearly don’t understand the tax system in Ireland. A huge amount of the people getting PUP work in the service industry ( hotels cafes restaurants coffee shops childcare etc) which is currently closed down. Most of those are on minimum wage and pay little or no tax.
    No one who does pay tax and is on the €350 will be getting a huge tax bill at the end of the year as you seem to be so keen on.
    If tax is owed it will be balanced out by revenue over the next 2 years. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Did anyone receive jobseekers applications in the post? A person I know who’s claiming the COVID payment got sent one by the local SW office.
    I did. I'm wondering does that mean once that application is processed do I go off the PUP and onto JSB which drops to 203 pw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

You seem to be very vexed over this €350. It’s almost as if someone is taking it out of your pocket. You clearly don’t understand the tax system in Ireland. A huge amount of the people getting PUP work in the service industry ( hotels cafes restaurants coffee shops childcare etc) which is currently closed down. Most of those are on minimum wage and pay little or no tax.
    No one who does pay tax and is on the €350 will be getting a huge tax bill at the end of the year as you seem to be so keen on.
    If tax is owed it will be balanced out by revenue over the next 2 years. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I am single with 2 dependents earning just over the minimum wage, I don’t pay any PAYE just PRSI and USC. I take it I won’t have to pay tax on the €350 but will PRSI and USC be deducted? I don’t mind paying it but just like to know roughly how much will be asked for back.

Excuse my asking if this has been asked and answered a hundred times. I haven’t read all posts.

Thanks

What are you on about. I said the 350 is taxable. Other poster said his daughter is on minimum wage and won't pay much tax on the 350. I said not everyone is on minimum wage.

You put two and two together and came up with rubbish. It's a non story friend. If people weren't getting the 350 they wouldn't be able to afford their bills and to feed themselves. I hold nothing against them. I'm not working full weeks myself.
    So tip on

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    I am single with 2 dependents earning just over the minimum wage, I don’t pay any PAYE just PRSI and USC. I take it I won’t have to pay tax on the €350 but will PRSI and USC be deducted? I don’t mind paying it but just like to know roughly how much will be asked for back.

Excuse my asking if this has been asked and answered a hundred times. I haven’t read all posts.

Thanks

As I said already any deductions ( PAYE USC PRSI) that have accumulated while you were on PUP will be clawed back from you but spread out over a period of 2 years so that you’ll barely notice it. A couple of €s down in your wages every week you’ll be.
    Please don’t listen to people telling you that you’ll get a huge tax bill as soon as you go back, that’s just not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

As I said already any deductions ( PAYE USC PRSI) that have accumulated while you were on PUP will be clawed back from you but spread out over a period of 2 years so that you’ll barely notice it. A couple of €s down in your wages every week you’ll be.
    Please don’t listen to people telling you that you’ll get a huge tax bill as soon as you go back, that’s just not going to happen.

Thanks, someone had told me that PRSI and USC are not payable on other SW payments like JSB so I thought maybe PUP was exempt as well. I don’t think it’ll amount to much, especially spread over two years. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Did anyone receive jobseekers applications in the post? A person I know who’s claiming the COVID payment got sent one by the local SW office.
    I did. I'm wondering does that mean once that application is processed do I go off the PUP and onto JSB which drops to 203 pw?

I suspect as they requested everyone who applied for the PUP to also file a JSB / JSA application, if you have not already done so online they're sending out the paper application to be completed.

My understanding is that when the time comes and they end the PUP, anyone who remains unemployed will be transitioned directly onto JSB / JSA without any lapsed time between to process an application.

At the moment anyone who is on PUP will remain on it until such time as they decide its end date and move you across, so no it's not a case that you'll be taken off of PUP and moved to JSB / JSA if you send it back.

Reading between the lines from the interview with Paschal Donohoe on Morning Ireland yesterday, the decision of for how much longer the PUP will be extended before transitioning to JSB / JSA and for how much it'll be - will be made fairly soon dependant on how the numbers of Covid 19 cases change in the coming week ... as this will indicate if there could be a second wave and if so the effect it's going to have on the exchequer both with people claiming and the tax receipts they're getting ...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0515/1138560-donohoe-on-reopening-of-economy/

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/rapid-revision-on-budget-deficit-sets-alarm-bells-ringing-1.4254569

"Spending on the Governments’s pandemic assistance schemes – the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment and the wage subsidy scheme – will be bigger than expected as both schemes are to be extended, albeit with changes, beyond the original 12-week period. This was sort of implicit at the time of the SPU but nonetheless not included in the formal projections."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TippCashel

Back to work on the 18th.

Closed my Covid Payment thing but regretting it now as I won't be getting paid until 25th June probably as the monthly cut-off for payment is the 15th of every month.

Did I make a mistake closing it? I did make a note a few days ago when closing it that I'm back working on the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I suspect as they requested everyone who applied for the PUP to also file a JSB / JSA application, if you have not already done so online they're sending out the paper application to be completed.

My understanding is that when the time comes and they end the PUP, anyone who remains unemployed will be transitioned directly onto JSB / JSA without any lapsed time between to process an application.

At the moment anyone who is on PUP will remain on it until such time as they decide its end date and move you across, so no it's not a case that you'll be taken off of PUP and moved to JSB / JSA if you send it back.

Reading between the lines from the interview with Paschal Donohoe on Morning Ireland yesterday, the decision of for how much longer the PUP will be extended before transitioning to JSB / JSA and for how much it'll be - will be made fairly soon dependant on how the numbers of Covid 19 cases change in the coming week ... as this will indicate if there could be a second wave and if so the effect it's going to have on the exchequer both with people claiming and the tax receipts they're getting ...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0515/1138560-donohoe-on-reopening-of-economy/

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/rapid-revision-on-budget-deficit-sets-alarm-bells-ringing-1.4254569

"Spending on the Governments’s pandemic assistance schemes – the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment and the wage subsidy scheme – will be bigger than expected as both schemes are to be extended, albeit with changes, beyond the original 12-week period. This was sort of implicit at the time of the SPU but nonetheless not included in the formal projections."
    I was thinking that myself. I'm ok I can go back to the JSB I'm fine financially but a bit more clarity would be nice.

TippCashel wrote: »
    Back to work on the 18th.

Closed my Covid Payment thing but regretting it now as I won't be getting paid until 25th June probably as the monthly cut-off for payment is the 15th of every month.

Did I make a mistake closing it? I did make a note a few days ago when closing it that I'm back working on the 18th

Anyone have any ideas on this? Just before it gets to Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Anyone have any ideas on this? Just before it gets to Tuesday!

Anything I have read states to close your payment on the day you start back to work so you've done it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Anything I have read states to close your payment on the day you start back to work so you've done it correctly.

That's a disaster though I'm in same boat I'm just surviving on the 350 and now I need to go to work for 2 weeks while getting no money at all

popsy09 wrote: »
    That's a disaster though I'm in same boat I'm just surviving on the 350 and now I need to go to work for 2 weeks while getting no money at all

Exactly this

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Exactly this

Well I will sign off when I get my first paycheck , mightn't be the right thing to do but when they come looking for it at least ill be back in some sort of financial stability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Exactly this

you sign off the day you're back and get the payment for the week. So if you're back in work today you sign off today and get the payment tomorrow for last week. Its on their website. This weeks payment is for last weeks unemployment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Some people mentioned tax on this PUP........ Could anyone tell me how this works? So lets say my take home pay is 600 euro after tax normally.
    So I've been receiving the 350 PUP for 7 weeks, so how much of a tax bill would I be facing? Is it anything substantial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I think this country is living in dreamland.

Reality will come crashing home for many when this €350 payment runs out and people find that their job is gone.

Are we going to have chaos in the next few months when people realise the real damage that has been done to the economy?

Even those in work will be at risk as more job losses will be sure to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Would a self employed mechanic be obliged to reopen today and end PUP claim immediately?

Stryderman wrote: »
    Would a self employed mechanic be obliged to reopen today and end PUP claim immediately?

How would they know if you're back to work if you're self employed.

It seems to be a bit of an honour system. People working in PAYE jobs will be caught straight away, but self employed can tell porkies and exaggerate it a bit, I'd say.

The common sense thing to do would be to make sure that you've a couple of Euro in your pocket or imminently due to you before you close your claim for the Covid19 payment. There's no point in closing your payment and sitting there for a month with the heating and lights off wondering have you enough money in the bank for a sliced pan.

Speaking of ceasing the payment, I reckon I'll be back to work in mid-June (June 8th hopefully). I applied with the paper form, and i don't have a MyWelfare account. Can I just ring them to close it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Some people mentioned tax on this PUP........ Could anyone tell me how this works? So lets say my take home pay is 600 euro after tax normally.
    So I've been receiving the 350 PUP for 7 weeks, so how much of a tax bill would I be facing? Is it anything substantial?

Assuming you have tax credits of 3,300 for the year this equates to 63euro per week credits

63/20% = 315

So your credits allow you earn 315 per week tax free. The balance of 35 euro would be taxed at 20% so 7 eyro tax owing per week multiplied by 7 weeks = 49 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I hope I'm not repeating a question here but I applied for the Emergency Payment (on Tuesday, 5th May) and received an email back (last Monday) about a possible typo on my application.

I reapplied (also last Monday) and haven't received any email yet, does this mean that my second application has been successful and that I will receive a payment today (Tuesday, 17th May) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I hope I'm not repeating a question here but I applied for the Emergency Payment (on Tuesday, 5th May) and received an email back (last Monday) about a possible typo on my application.

I reapplied (also last Monday) and haven't received any email yet, does this mean that my second application has been successful and that I will receive a payment today (Tuesday, 17th May) ?

I'm answering my own question in case it's of use to other posters --

My payment did indeed come through just now, without any prior email confirmation apart from the initial email acknowledging the submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

I didn't receive an email from them before the initial payment to my account, so I think that's standard for successful applications.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Will be interesting to see how much the number drop off on this this week with many back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Stryderman wrote: »
    I don't think there is an obligation as such. This is the kind of dilemma the government has created. If I re-open I have to give up the payment, but how do I know how much business will be available when I do? What if there is none?

They should have offered the 350 to self employed (who were still able to work) as a back-stop that you could claim the difference between whatever work you can get and the 350. And they should do the same for people who can now go back to work.

• Advertisement

popsy09 wrote: »

Confirming I did not get the payment today. Damn

Since I wasn’t working last week it sounds like I should’ve received even though I left a note on it saying I’d be back 18th May

Advertisement