Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

ATC110 wrote: »
    Is the PUP €350 payable for 12 weeks or 8th Jun regardless of how payments they've received?

Originally it was 12 weeks or the 8th of June whichever came first.

However that June cut off date is to be extended to 10th of August in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Turbofocus

However that June cut off date is to be extended to 10th of August in the coming days.

Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

more free money :D:D:D but very much expecting it to be cut

My workplace is phase 5 and its nice to get a payment regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

To close the payment on returning to work, it's asking to log in on mygov. If login in wasn't required back when applying for the payment, is there a way to close it without creating an account?

Turbofocus wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

Regina said in the dail last Thursday that PUP would be extended and that they wouldn't be removing the payment until people have the opportunity to go back to work (ie: Phase 5 on August 10th).

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    more free money :D:D:D but very much expecting it to be cut

My workplace is phase 5 and its nice to get a payment regardless

The 350 payment was in line with JB for an Adult with a qualified adult dependent (203+147=350).

It protected couple/families with one income but allowed a couple/families with two incomes to get double (350+350=700) which I dont think they expected.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do make changes to cut or phase out those double payment but the "covid supports" are expected to continue until phase 5 of the re-openning plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

TAOISEACH LEO VARADKAR has told the Dáil that the pandemic unemployment will be extended “for months, not weeks”, but that those who worked part-time prior to the crisis will see the amount they receive cut.
    He said that those who were working full-time prior to receiving the Covid-19 unemployment payment will continue to receive €350 a week into the future.
    However, those who were working part-time will see their payment reduced.
    He said that those who were working full-time prior to receiving the Covid-19 unemployment payment will continue to receive €350 a week into the future.
    However, those who were working part-time will see their payment reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,955 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So it's official, the Payment will continue albeit part time workers will see reduction. I'm curious however as to how they will work out who was working part-time, I assume it will be based on payroll records for a defined period prior to lockdown. Leo has however made it clear NO ONE will get less than they earned, in fact he stated in the Dail part time workers will get more than they were earning. It seems very complicated, many part time workers may for example work 24 hrs one week, 16 hrs the next and on occasions 32 hrs. I think they've opened a can of worms here and perhaps wouid have been better reducing the payment by say a flat amount (€50) as an example. The department of Social protection will be bombarded with enquiries next week

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dempo1 wrote: »
    So it's official, the Payment will continue albeit part time workers will see reduction. I'm curious however as to how they will work out who was working part-time, I assume it will be based on payroll records for a defined period prior to lockdown. Leo has however made it clear NO ONE will get less than they earned, in fact he stated in the Dail part time workers will get more than they were earning. It seems very complicated, many part time workers may for example work 24 hrs one week, 16 hrs the next and on occasions 32 hrs. I think they've opened a can of worms here and perhaps wouid have been better reducing the payment by say a flat amount (€50) as an example. The department of Social protection will be bombarded with enquiries next week

This will be weird, relative was working two part time jobs , was getting 350 on the covid payment, which was less already but perfectly acceptable and is now panicking a bit due to it being reduced while still paying all her rent etc. Wonder how it will work out? They will be bombarded with q's alright. They might base it off total revenue in a certain period and use that?

Made a good point i think social welfare regard part time as 24 hrs a week or below but it becomes tricky as the examples you gave.

• Advertisement

This will be weird, relative was working two part time jobs , was getting 350 on the covid payment, which was less already but perfectly acceptable and is now panicking a bit due to it being reduced while still paying all her rent etc. Wonder how it will work out? They will be bombarded with q's alright

I agree, it's going to be a mess and not helped by the fact most intro offices either closed or open very limited hours. Whats really curious is the wage subsidy scheme which seems farcical. I know of a few businesses that reopened only because their payroll is be heavily subsidised, from feedback there's little or no business happening and there's a serious crash coming. Without the subsidy these businesses are clearly unviable. There's twice the amount of people on wage subsidy than part time employees on the covid payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

You had to self-declare whether you are working full or part-time on the form IIRC, though I imagine there'll need to be some cross-referencing to ensure people were telling the truth. It's welcome that no one will get less than they earned but I'm curious how they will work that out given hours vary for PT workers a lot as you say.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Made a good point i think social welfare regard part time as 24 hrs a week or below but it becomes tricky as the examples you gave.

I also know PT time employees who get monthly commissions etc, will this be factored in as part of previous earnings

You had to self-declare whether you are working full or part-time on the form IIRC, though I imagine there'll need to be some cross-referencing to ensure people were telling the truth. It's welcome that no one will get less than they earned but I'm curious how they will work that out given hours vary for PT workers a lot as you say.

Good point, I forgot about the self declaration when applying for this payment. I do feel however there's going to be ambiguity about what is classified as part time, as I've posted many part time employees work in excess of 24 hours, perhaps not all the time but enough not to be classified as part time. Also, there's many who have worked say a four day week for months, years etc. It's going to be interesting me thinks as to how they're going to figure this out

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you returned to work on the 28th of May when should you receive final covid19 payment providing you signed off correctly?
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If you returned to work on the 28th of May when should you receive final covid19 payment providing you signed off correctly?
    Thanks in advance!

The day you sign off it, you stop receiving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Any ideas how this will work for the self employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Good I was working 25 hours a week and earning 360 net so should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm on a part time min hours contract (8+) and some weeks would work over 25, some weeks less etc. I work with students how only work 8-12 hours a week

My head is all over the place now cause I'm going to down money weekly now. When I was working I had xs & os but only got payed through that sometimes cause I worked over the limit etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Im part time and generally would have bee working 21.5 hours per week but since Feb have been working 24.5 - 25.5 as we were short staffed.

Ill be curious to see what the cut off will be.

• Advertisement

Wonder when the new payments will actually happen, a lot to sort out who gets what, cant see it being next week.

They should really just leave it be in my opinion. They've gotten great press out of it, and it has made the govt. look very competent and willing to help out the public.

Less and less people will be claiming as we get closer to Phase 5. They should just keep it at 350 per week, until August 10th, at which point it ceases and you are expected to fill in a jobseekers claim instead, for the 203. If you're not back to work on the 10th of August, then chances are you're not gonna be back to work anytime soon at all, unfortunately.

They costed the payment out for 12 weeks. If they pulled back a week on each phase, then they could theoretically end the payment by, what, mid july? something like that? Would make more sense than this penny-pinching approach now that will merely cause a huge backlog of administrative work now, trying to uniquely customise the payment for each individual that is claiming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm on a part time min hours contract (8+) and some weeks would work over 25, some weeks less etc. I work with students how only work 8-12 hours a week

My head is all over the place now cause I'm going to down money weekly now. When I was working I had xs & os but only got payed through that sometimes cause I worked over the limit etc

I’m in the same situation. Worked in a bar so would’ve done between 18-35 hours a week depending on how busy it was. Was on the X’s and O’s aswel.

I’m just going to wait and see what comes into the account. Sure there isn’t anything else we can do really. We’re going to be given a certain amount and that will be it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

The reports appear to suggest that the part time situation will be that anyone earning 200 euro per week OR less back in January and February will be moved to the jobseekers payment of 203 euro.
    Anyone earning MORE THAN 200 euro per week back in Jan/Feb will be kept on the current 350 euro PUP.
    That's not a fact yet, it's reported on Newstalk and The Irish Times and on RTE Radio.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/pandemic-unemployment-payment-1026182

IRISH TIMES LINK ADDED:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-wage-subsidy-and-unemployment-payment-extended-to-end-of-summer-1.4271113

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

NewRed2 wrote: »
    The reports appear to suggest that the part time situation will be that anyone earning 200 euro per week OR less back in January and February will be moved to the jobseekers payment of 203 euro.
    Anyone earning MORE THAN 200 euro per week back in Jan/Feb will be kept on the current 350 euro PUP.
    That's not a fact yet, it's reported on Newstalk and The Irish Times and on RTE Radio.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/pandemic-unemployment-payment-1026182

IRISH TIMES LINK ADDED:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-wage-subsidy-and-unemployment-payment-extended-to-end-of-summer-1.4271113

It’ll be interesting to see if they go with this!

What about the people who were unemployed or in different jobs at these times?

The whole thing seems messy

The fairest way in my opinion would be to assess every individual because there’s students working 1 days a week and then there’s people making up to 600 per week

But obviously that’s not gonna happen because of lack of time

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

The fairest way in my opinion would be to assess every individual because there’s students working 1 days a week and then there’s people making up to 600 per week

Plenty of students work at weekends during term time but would be working anywhere from 40 to 60 hours this time of year so that’s not really fair either.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

How will it work for the self-employed - gross profit or net profit? Despite not working the business owner still has most if not all of the same overheads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wonder how it will work, a lot of part timers can have varying hours so some weeks earn under 200 and other earn well above 200. Could be average?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Only seems to be being introduced from 29th June, which I'm not sure why.

On Rte, it says

The banding will work that whichever is the higher payment - average for the whole of 2019 or the first two months of 2020 - will be put in for the PUP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

titan18 wrote: »
    Only seems to be being introduced from 29th June, which I'm not sure why.

To let the new government handle it.

Advertisement