Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2016, 13:25   #1
morgana

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Ok, so i live in the sticks in North Cork and have had Ripplecom's fixed wireless at 5-6 Mbps since forever. Now that crowd comes along and, at the initial contact, offers fast BB (max. 100, average 40 - 60 mbps) for 100e with a 200 gig monthly cap (including unlimited VOIP landline calls, but who needs that nowadays) .
As much as I would have liked faster BB, this offer wasn't going to cut it. Which I told the rep on the phone. Whats the point of having fast BB if you can't use its benefits due to price and very very restrictive cap. I left it at that and he agreed to come back to me if they would change their plans.
Lo and behold, a week later (!!!!!) I got another phone call - and they changed their plans completely: Now its a 20 gig cap/day (with throttling up to midnight if you go over) for 59.99! Now that's an offer I can live with. Setup fee 150 e, 18 months contract.
I took a deep breath and said YES, lol. WIthin 2 days I had an installation date just 3 days later. So contract agreed MOnday, finished installation one week later!
I am impressed. Poor guys had to install in the tail end of storm Imogen!

Still fiddling around to get it set up fully with my Asus RT-N66U. Its working but not quite the way I want it lol.
So one very happy camper indeed.
Advertisement
08-02-2016, 15:03   #2
seaniefr

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgana View Post
Ok, so i live in the sticks in North Cork and have had Ripplecom's fixed wireless at 5-6 Mbps since forever. Now that crowd comes along and, at the initial contact, offers fast BB (max. 100, average 40 - 60 mbps) for 100e with a 200 gig monthly cap (including unlimited VOIP landline calls, but who needs that nowadays) .
As much as I would have liked faster BB, this offer wasn't going to cut it. Which I told the rep on the phone. Whats the point of having fast BB if you can't use its benefits due to price and very very restrictive cap. I left it at that and he agreed to come back to me if they would change their plans.
Lo and behold, a week later (!!!!!) I got another phone call - and they changed their plans completely: Now its a 20 gig cap/day (with throttling up to midnight if you go over) for 59.99! Now that's an offer I can live with. Setup fee 150 e, 18 months contract.
I took a deep breath and said YES, lol. WIthin 2 days I had an installation date just 3 days later. So contract agreed MOnday, finished installation one week later!
I am impressed. Poor guys had to install in the tail end of storm Imogen!

Still fiddling around to get it set up fully with my Asus RT-N66U. Its working but not quite the way I want it lol.
So one very happy camper indeed.
Sounds great!
What kind of tech are they using? can you post photos?
08-02-2016, 15:56   #3
morgana

Some kind of LTE technology - the supplied modem is a Greenpack router (haven't been able to find out more as it does not let you log into it).
He told me to just connect the Asus to the router (and it seems to automatically put it into bridge mode, wireless access on the old wireless Intranet is working fine, but wired from my PC to the Asus just gives the guest network, hopefully i can figure out whats going on there).

Pics of the outdoor unit:

(BTW, can you believe the colour of the sky )
(2) thanks from:
08-02-2016, 16:10   #4
seaniefr

Great pics. That system should be interesting. I would love to know how it works after they have a good few more houses connected. The contention ratio would be interesting..but it certainly looks good on the website
08-02-2016, 16:18   #5
seaniefr

think this is the supplier

http://www.greenpacket.com/
Advertisement
08-02-2016, 16:25   #6
morgana

Yes I know - but i couldn't find the router on their webpage. Yr man was saying they will limit the number of subscriber to 400 to the one mast (Bweeng) to keep everybody happy . If such a deduction can be made from my ID, I'm customer 117
08-02-2016, 16:39   #7
ED E

Any reason to think its not WiMax vs LTE? Didnt think they had any spectrum for LTE use.
08-02-2016, 18:12   #8
rob808

The question is how long will his 50mb broadband last when they add more subscribers to it guess they try keep it low.

Last edited by rob808; 08-02-2016 at 18:17.
(2) thanks from:
08-02-2016, 18:27   #9
mass_debater

It's most likely 3.6ghz but may or may not be WiMax
Advertisement
08-02-2016, 23:08   #10
seaniefr

I think this is it - website description says that it is LTE, can serve up to 4 subs and that Wimax is optional

http://www.greenpacket.com/duo-outdoor-modem/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green Packet.JPG (21.1 KB, 0 views)
08-02-2016, 23:38   #11
ussjtrunks

I get very good service on nova atm, do imagine cover the same area? the price is about the same so its tempting
08-02-2016, 23:38   #12
ussjtrunks

*Double Post*
08-02-2016, 23:43   #13
The Cush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_debater View Post
It's most likely 3.6ghz but may or may not be WiMax
TDD-LTE in Band 42/43 most likely

http://www.gtigroup.org/35ghz/keynot...3-20/5825.html
Thanks from:
09-02-2016, 05:30   #14
Ould Mr Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussjtrunks View Post
I get very good service on nova atm, do imagine cover the same area? the price is about the same so its tempting
If you go over your 20gb data allowance with nova what speed roughly do they drop you to? I'm half tempted to join them
09-02-2016, 18:45   #15
ussjtrunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ould Mr Brennan View Post
If you go over your 20gb data allowance with nova what speed roughly do they drop you to? I'm half tempted to join them
I think its around 1mb, though tbh I've never gone over it so I'm not sure. Its an awful lot to use in a day.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion