Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeland Season 8 **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Some amount of crap written here about Clare Dane's looks. It's like a chat you'd hear in secondary school.

Great show and one of the longest I've stuck with. Never afraid to have pops at the USA foreign policy and always had a good story.

Dane's was brilliant as Carrie and Saul also excellent.

Loved the ending last night and did not see it coming. I thought Carrie and Saul were pulling a fast one on the Russians as that's how it usually went.
    This season slightly ruined by saul senfing an obviously broken Carrie on a mission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I missed last night's final on RTE so I will have to catch it later on Saturday night.

Dan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It wasn't a bad episode. Some way through, however, the word that came to mind for me was insubstantial. I had no real expectations around how things would end and I wasn't feeling all systems go excitement in front of the TV a la other shows I've finished. Pleased to see Lesli Linka Glatter directing, she's been a real stalwart behind the camera.

I was wondering whether Maggie would appear. Carrie and Saul had a good verbal tussle not long after. Russia being the mortal enemy and all. That 'cost of doing business' line really landed. It's a wonder he didn't tell her to GTFO. Saul's immobilisation was quite unpleasant. At least his sister - no memory of her at all - gave Carrie a good character reference when she mentioned ulterior motive. Horrible manipulation, Miss Matheson. I was quite thrown by the geography here and at first thought it was Pakistan again.

The asset, gun conversation and taking her own life was hard viewing. The exchange between Carrie and Yevgeny reminded me a little of Netflix's Marriage Story and by that point I'd forgotten about Saul's sister. How often do the Russians beam into the Oval via CNN telling the US to stand down, jeez.

The two years later was a little abrupt. Thought the concert might have been a shout out to the opera in Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation.

Carrie's note in the book about her daughter had some additional meaning, surely. The old spy craft is kept alive and we get that rare thing, a smile on her face. That alone's worth the price of admission.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

not sure if it has been said but I get the sense that the Vice President and his dumbass adviser was a nod in the direction of the current situation in America with Trump being a useless President surrounded by dumbass advisers and the frustration lifelong intelligence officers (e.g. Saul) trying to deal with them

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

A serviceable, not great, ending.

Really hated Carrie for first time as she spoke to the drugged Saul. Glad to see back of her now!

Overall, a really good show generally that had a great run. I will miss characters such as Saul, Peter Quinn and Dar Adal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I thought it was an excellent finale. Carrie had to make a choice between
    burning the Russian agent, or allowing the conflict to escalate in Pakistan. She chose to burn the Russian, but with a view to replacing her
    . Yes it was all very neat, but I enjoyed it.

Loved the Kamasi Washington appearance also. Carrie was listening to him while running on her treadmill in the previous season, so nice and consistent.

Also, Claire Danes is getting a kicking in this thread! Carrie Mathison isn't supposed to be a glamorous character, but Danes is certainly an attractive woman by any measure. She could struggle to get work again, being so closely identified with this role, but Damian Lewis is on Billions now, so fingers crossed for her. I thought she was great throughout Homeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Looking forward to coming on here to read the comments, and then half of them are about Claire Danes actual looks and whether a Russian spy would go for her in the first place

Give me strength

Loved the ending, so glad I stuck with it. This season has been brilliant and that was such a satisfying ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Great ending to an inconsistent yet great series. The final season had thrown in some tenuous scenarios in order to finish with a flourish, but I didn't find it hard to grant them some leeway; it just felt so old-school, and satisfying. The 21st century Great Game (with America instead of Britain) had a vivid and twisty portrayal, constantly changing it up; but with the dynamic duo always at its core, loyalty in the world of espionage was always a thrill to watch. Despite its flaws, sad to see this go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I thought it was an excellent finale. Carrie had to make a choice between
    burning the Russian agent, or allowing the conflict to escalate in Pakistan. She chose to burn the Russian, but with a view to replacing her
    . Yes it was all very neat, but I enjoyed it.

Loved the Kamasi Washington appearance also. Carrie was listening to him while running on her treadmill in the previous season, so nice and consistent.

Also, Claire Danes is getting a kicking in this thread! Carrie Mathison isn't supposed to be a glamorous character, but Danes is certainly an attractive woman by any measure. She could struggle to get work again, being so closely identified with this role, but Damian Lewis is on Billions now, so fingers crossed for her. I thought she was great throughout Homeland.

I had to lookup Kamasi Wahsington later. Have to say, that music hurt my ears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Brilliant final episode, brilliant acting all around, and fitting way to finish.

But...if i was to nitpick ...how the hell did Carrie get halfway across the world to Israel in one day??

and secondly her turning double agent I am not sure if I believe Yevgeny would not clock on for Carrie being a mole, as he has always seemed so sharp up until then

but anyway i'll miss it (wonder will it come back - netflix?)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Does anyone know a date when season 8 will be on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

Excellent show that got better with age. Glad I stuck with it those first few seasons. Thought the ending was good and it leaves things open if they want to bring it back In some form. Perhaps Carrie could break Jack Bauer out of prison in Russia ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I was worried for a moment that Russian press conference would have been faked and only shown to convince Carrie.

Good way to end the series imo.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I was worried for a moment that Russian press conference would have been faked and only shown to convince Carrie.

Once they appeared I was expecting 'alright lads, here's the black box, but shure, go to war anyway'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Good ending. Good last series. Went out on a high level of standard rather than flogging a dead donkey.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Good piece here from January, how the show came to be. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/homeland-declassified-battles-backlash-cia-meetings-a-secret-call-edward-snowden-1269957

Must check out that film with Lewis - Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

Good piece here from January, how the show came to be. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/homeland-declassified-battles-backlash-cia-meetings-a-secret-call-edward-snowden-1269957

Must check out that film with Lewis - Keane.

Yeah I read that piece too. Very interesting that the producers did not want Damian Lewis as Brody. Probably because the last TV show he was in before that (Life) was a bit of a flop.

fryup wrote: »
    But...if i was to nitpick ...how the hell did Carrie get halfway across the world to Israel in one day??

and another thing, how did Carrie know that Saul's sister had that memory stick?? did Saul mention it to her before?? i mean it was a big gamble flying all the way over to Israel on a hunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I think it was all very fare in the end. I had an inkling it might go all Snowden. Thankfully neither Saul nor Carrie bought the farm which I did fear might happen midseason. I might get the boxset on DVD later if I find one. I am very old school and don't care much for Netfix or whats not.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

lukin wrote: »
    I watched the first ep of season one again last night and two things spring to mind: Claire Danes was far more more attractive then

I'm sure you were more attractive 10 years ago as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

I'm sure you were more attractive 10 years ago as well.

True (sadly).

Thankfully neither Saul nor Carrie bought the farm which I did fear might happen midseason.

:confused: farm? wha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

:confused: farm? wha

1542531577094.jpg

:confused: wha

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

:confused: wha

bought the farm = killed

you learn something new everyday, never heard that term before

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was wondering too, did some checking, and there were overnight flights from DC to Israel. You could leave DC in the early evening and arrive in Tel Aviv at local lunchtime the next day. A long trip but doable. Carrie had her bag of fake passports, of course, it wouldn't surprise me if there was an Israeli one in there.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Used to be a great show, but like all great shows they are scrapping the barrel now and its gone to ****e. Stopped watching after 3 or 4 episodes this season. Big let down as I was a fan of it.

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    I was wondering too, did some checking, and there were overnight flights from DC to Israel. You could leave DC in the early evening and arrive in Tel Aviv at local lunchtime the next day. A long trip but doable. Carrie had her bag of fake passports, of course, it wouldn't surprise me if there was an Israeli one in there.

really?? even taking into account time difference?

Advertisement