Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeland Season 8 **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I think it’s been an outstanding final season. I was hoping for some kind of happy ending for Carrie but I’m not sure that’s going to happen. She has a lot of work ahead in the final hour to sort out the world. I hope the black box makes it back otherwise all Max’s efforts were for nothing.

I’m quite enjoying the character of Zabel, a ferocious ring wing zealot that is all to common in US politics. He reminds me of a Cheney or Rumsfeld controlling a dazed, confused and dumb Dubya Bush. President Hayes seems to be out of his depth and ending up in the role by accident.

I’ve enjoyed the show in recent seasons. I like the way it’s so current and seems to mirror what is happening in the world. I’ll miss it when it’s gone.

Caprica wrote: »

I’ve enjoyed the show in recent seasons. I like the way it’s so current and seems to mirror what is happening in the world. I’ll miss itit when it’s gone.

yes, from season 4 on it has actively incorporated current issues and for all its faults, that is the reason that it has remained watchable.

this season is obviously one of the stronger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

glasso wrote: »
    yes, from season 4 on it has actively incorporated current issues and for all its faults, that is the reason that it has remained watchable.

this season is obviously one of the stronger ones.

Agree.

One fly in ointment for me is that it seems a bit too fast paced trying to wrap up all the loose ends.

I guess that's the way with most final seasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

Is episode 12 being released later than the previous ones? I can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

VG31 wrote: »
    Is episode 12 being released later than the previous ones? I can't find it anywhere.

Same here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Just seen episode 11. I half admit now that my sympathy for Carrie is not what it once was. Saul [Mandy Patinkin] is superb here after a few seasons of I don't care much for this. Not a clue what will happen next but the teasers from the two leads Conclusive' ish according to Danes and Begining' ish according to Patinkin are a tease. I would like to know though, why so much faith in the black box now that the Russians have had their mitts on it.

Dan.

no early release this week alright.

was used to it lol!

but then again the official air time is Sunday night in the US so not sure where those previous "releases" were coming from.

Last episode is called "Prisoners of War" - is that to lead us to believe that Carrie will end up getting a proper stretch or is it just to mislead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

was used to it lol!

but then again the official air time is Sunday night in the US so not sure where those previous "releases" were coming from.

Last episode is called "Prisoners of War" - is that to lead us to believe that Carrie will end up getting a proper stretch or is it just to mislead.....

All Showtime episodes air early on Showtimes streaming platform except for finale episodes which they want to get the full viewership for ratings on TV.

All Showtime episodes air early on Showtimes streaming platform except for finale episodes which they want to get the full viewership for ratings on TV.

you learn something new everyday!

(well, some days at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so i take it Saul is a double agent??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

was used to it lol!

I was looking for it and was wondering why I couldn't find it (sorry admins).
    That sucks, I used always look forward to sitting down on a Sunday evening and watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Its probably a nod to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoners_of_War_(TV_series)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I enjoyed the Soviet era stuff and how they used Patinkin's voice when showing the younger guy playing him. Plus Carrie figuring it out - floor map. Plot's OK, not great this year. There's been some good tension, and surprises, but I think some of the earlier years were more nail-biting week-to-week. I do enjoy a good Saul rant - see at the UN, even if it's for public consumption.

I can't muster up a whole lot to say, it's one of the longer running shows I've watched and 8 years is long these days. No idea how it's going to play out in the end and may not have one of TV's great endings, but perhaps it'll work for the show in itself.

Andrea Deck's got her own Youtube stuff about living with type 1 Diabetes. She's a natural on a camera/in the social media world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

And it's available from the usual places..

Just sitting down to watch the ep now

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The very end was a bit of a let down for me.
    I would have preferred Carrie got a bullet to the head instead of the Hollywood ending.

Great series from start to finish although the Brody story went on a season to long however once they got past that they had the pulse of the world

Good last episode I thought.

I didn't have a big problem with the last bits - the great game is never over... Carrie wanted to stop a nuclear confrontation but never really went over to the other side.

Hasta la vista Homeland.

Now all set for the spin-off that some will demand ->

"Yevgeny and the helicopter - the true story, untold 'til now" :p

He gets the bad news....

https://imgur.com/a/hV0hnuH

I think you could refer to that final episode as "an unsatisfactory denouement".
    I have a few problems with it;
    As I understood it from last week there was no "backup plan" if Saul didn't give up his asset; it was simple; Saul has to be taken out to reveal her identity, end of story. When the Russkie agents were about to inject him they seemed to be under Carrie's authority, which didn't make sense; they were there just to carry out a job (we were led to believe).
    Also, if Carrie knew she could get the asset's identity by going to the West Bank and telling Saul's sister he was dead, why didn't she do that in the first place?
    I also don't think it was credible that Saul would have Carrie work as a double-agent after the way they parted ("go f*** yourself" were his last words to her).
    Their relationship was surely damaged beyond repair. "The cost of doing business" was a good line I thought though (that's what really should have been the title of the ep).

lukin wrote: »
    I think you could refer to that final episode as "an unsatisfactory denouement".
    1. As I understood it from last week there was no "backup plan" if Saul didn't give up his asset; it was simple; Saul has to be taken out to reveal her identity, end of story When the Russkie agents were about to inject him they seemed to be under Carrie's authority, which didn't make sense; they were there just to carry out a job (we were led to believe)..

2. Also, if Carrie knew she could get the asset's identity by going to the West Bank and telling Saul's sister he was dead, why didn't she do that in the first place?

3. I also don't think it was credible that Saul would have Carrie work as a double-agent after the way they parted ("go f*** yourself" were his last words to her).
    Their relationship was surely damaged beyond repair. "The cost of doing business" was a good line I thought though (that's what really should have been the title of the ep).

1. Carrie figured out where the transition plan would be stored. She worked a way to achieve the aim without killing Saul. The ultimate aim for the Russians was to get the id of the asset, not kill Saul.

2. Saul would have to be held / silenced anyway while his sister could be hit-up for the plan to relieve her of the transition item. Quicker to try to pull it off in DC instead of going to Israel, which they eventually had to do.

3. We don't know if they would work together. All we see is Saul get the book and the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I liked it.

Saul didn't have Carrie work as a double agent, she decided to do it herself, him getting the book is the first he finds out about it. Whether he would trust her after everything is another thing but we won't see that part.

I think she did what she did betraying her country for what she saw as he greater good to stop the war. Then decided when she had been taken in by the Russians to try and make it up to Saul and to her country, by replacing Anna as the agent inside Russia. It was no grand plan, she just decided to use what happened to feed information back home.

Good season overall I thought. Its hard to end a tv show, some are god awful and some are great, this was good I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Good series. 8 Seasons and a strong ending for them. You don't get that with many shows.

12: Good episode. V
    ery straight-forward ending but well wrapped. Top performance I thought came from Tim Guinee as Scott protecting Anna. Strangest moment I felt was the speed at which Carrie got to the West Bank. Real clincher was that they had an ending and it felt like a Homeland ending.

Future: It does look to be over but could definitely see them trying spin-offs or maybe movies. Given how well it ended though, I'm not sure they'd pack the same strength in. Maybe ages down the line they could revive the show like how many older show get revived nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Confused why Carrie and Yvegevny (spelling) had to rush out of Israel. What was the issue?

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Confused why Carrie and Yvegevny (spelling) had to rush out of Israel. What was the issue?

Saul had been freed over in the US (which they knew because the translator had been alerted) and they knew that he would cop-on that they had worked out that the asset info was with his sister in Israel and would be there.

They were worried that he would tell the Israelis and get them arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Really enjoyed the ending tbh.

One of the better seasons for me ! They could easily go again, but that's it unfortunately. I'd be happy to watch a 'carrie in moscow' season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

As I understood it from last week there was no "backup plan" if Saul didn't give up his asset; it was simple; Saul has to be taken out to reveal her identity, end of story. When the Russkie agents were about to inject him they seemed to be under Carrie's authority, which didn't make sense; they were there just to carry out a job (we were led to believe).
    Also, if Carrie knew she could get the asset's identity by going to the West Bank and telling Saul's sister he was dead, why didn't she do that in the first place?
    I also don't think it was credible that Saul would have Carrie work as a double-agent after the way they parted ("go f*** yourself" were his last words to her).

Yevgeny last week told Carrie that the asset would be passed on to her upon Saul's death. This week Carrie begged Saul to assure her that the asset wasn't to be passed on to her. But, there was some grey area there since the "kill team" she alerted were supposed to kill Saul and they didn't.

Think the writers pulled a sneaky one over us. I was expecting either Carrie or Saul to die but they pulled a swerve. The quick jaunt to the sister in Israel was daft but in the end Saul's somewhat ambivalent reaction at receiving the book made it worthwhile for me.

Fwiw Saul doesn't need Carrie working for him per se but if she feeds him credible info going forward it may workout.

oneilla wrote: »
    But, there was some grey area there since the "kill team" she alerted were supposed to kill Saul and they didn't.

Yeah that's what I meant in my post. The name "kill team" doesn't leave much room for ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the ending tbh.

One of the better seasons for me ! They could easily go again, but that's it unfortunately. I'd be happy to watch a 'carrie in moscow' season.

i would definitely watch a carrie in moscow season with some old school spy work. Moscow rules in moscow would be fantastic.

i would definitely watch a carrie in moscow season with some old school spy work. Moscow rules in moscow would be fantastic.

I'd say Claire Danes will struggle for work now this series has finished. Before Homeland she was out of work for two years and was considering giving up acting (she did psychology in college after high school).
    She is ten years older now so it can be hard for women to get work in TV/movies once they got past a certain age. She also has two young children so that changes things. She is not short of a bob or two though I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm doing a lockdown catchup on some shows and I watched the whole season over the last 3 days.
    I feel that it didn't really didn't get going until the helicopter episode but then it took off (no pun intended).

I thought the last episode was fantastic and the message at the end made me laugh (in a good way). It was a clever ending.

I had to pause it to take a breather when Saul walked into the bedroom. Such a great sequence overall.

It's always great when a show goes out on its own terms with a proper ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'd say Claire Danes will struggle for work now this series has finished. Before Homeland she was out of work for two years and was considering giving up acting (she did psychology in college after high school).
    She is ten years older now so it can be hard for women to get work in TV/movies once they got past a certain age. She also has two young children so that changes things. She is not short of a bob or two though I'd say.

after 8 seasons on a primetime show i doubt she needs to work again. she was making $450,000 an episode for the last 5 seasons.

Advertisement