Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeland Season 8 **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

after 8 seasons on a primetime show i doubt she needs to work again. she was making $450,000 an episode for the last 5 seasons.

I'd say she was on higher money for the seasons before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

lukin wrote: »
    I'd say she was on higher money for the seasons before that.

apparently not. 250,000 an episode before that. it would be unusual for salary to drop as the seasons go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Great season and decent finale, but I didn't really like the very end. Would've liked a bit more punch, or preferred if it just ended with Carrie living with the choices she made in the pursuit of 'good'. It tried too hard to give everyone a happy ending.

apparently not. 250,000 an episode before that. it would be unusual for salary to drop as the seasons go on.

You'd imagine the viewing figures were higher for the earlier seasons because it was more popular then. I'd say viewing figures dropped a good bit for later seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

Mr.S wrote: »
    Good ending / wrap to the series but if I had to nitpick:

- Why did Anna and Scott go into the basement of the UN - the Russians could hardly do something in a public place? Why not leave the building to American soil across the road? I suppose they could get her anywhere, but still.

That bothered me as well. Why didn't they just go outside? There wasn't much the Russians could do.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    - Would the Russians really trust Carrie with any sort of access to sensitive information?.

I think she was getting her information from that woman she met during the concert. How Carrie managed to recruit her might be questionable but it's more plausible than the Russians allowing her access to sensitive information.

• Advertisement

You'd imagine the viewing figures were higher for the earlier seasons because it was more popular then. I'd say viewing figures dropped a good bit for later seasons.

the viewing figures were fairly consistent up until season 7 when they took a bit of a dive

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Homelander wrote: »
    Great season and decent finale, but I didn't really like the very end. Would've liked a bit more punch, or preferred if it just ended with Carrie living with the choices she made in the pursuit of 'good'. It tried too hard to give everyone a happy ending.
    Given how much of a complete screw-up she was and how many people she caused grief to it was a decent outcome all round for me. I think the consequences route would have been more predictable in the sense that she "deserved" it.

Will say that there were times when just I hung in with the series as it had many dips and the actress/character was quite annoying at times. Couldn't see myself revisiting all of it, the early Brody days IMO being the best of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Do people agree with Carrie's solution or Saul's? Give up the asset or let the cards fall where they may?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Do people agree with Carrie's solution or Saul's? Give up the asset or let the cards fall where they may?

given what was at stake i'm with carrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is yevgeni not smart enough to know that Carrie would spy on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,563 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Perhaps love is blind even in the world of spycraft...

Perhaps love is blind even in the world of spycraft...

In the real world Yevgeny would go for a hot Russian chick not some US spy well past her sell-by date!

About the money for Tv shows normally a star ends up getting more as they go along.

The first few seasons would have been tied up under the initial contract signed before the show was made and before anyone would know if it's going to be a success or not.

As Danes was getting no work at the time they could get her at a relatively lower rate. She wasn't a "big star" at that time.

When it comes to signing a new and subsequent contract the star of the show has more leverage.

I watched it just after watching the Americans..

Yer man Yevgeni has been forever typecast as a Russian spy for me..

I'll see him in some Christmas movie playing Santa or something in 10 years time and I'll be like "How are the Russians involved?"..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,563 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

glasso wrote: »
    In the real world Yevgeny would go for a hot Russian chick not some US spy well past her sell-by date!

Not everyone is that shallow, even in the real world.

Not everyone is that shallow, even in the real world.

well as you said yourself, sometimes love is blind!

but more often that not it's not :D

who would seriously want to shack up with a bi-polar cry-face Carrie as their first choice, especially considering that pretty much any guy she was with before ended up dead, even the poor victim virgin student in season 4?

As Danes was getting no work at the time they could get her at a relatively lower rate. She wasn't a "big star" at that time.

I read that for the first season herself and Damian Lewis were on $250,000 per episode. Neither of them were big stars at the time so that's decent moolah.
    Danes had doubled her salary by the time Homeland finished, I assume when Lewis was killed off he was getting the same as Danes.
    I see a lot of similarities between Claire Danes and Kiefer Sutherland. Both were fairly big movie stars in their twenties but their careers stalled in their thirties.
    Then a TV show rescued their careers.

well as you said yourself, sometimes love is blind!

but more often that not it's not :D

who would seriously want to shack up with a bi-polar cry-face Carrie as their first choice, especially considering that pretty much any guy she was with before ended up dead, even the poor victim virgin student in season 4?

The degradation in Claire Danes's looks from the first season to the last has been quite remarkable. Here's a pic of her from season one;

homeland1-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

She has a fair bit of make-up on but still looks very attractive in that pic. I can't remember any ep this season where she looked even mildly attractive.

The degradation in Claire Danes's looks from the first season to the last has been quite remarkable. Here's a pic of her from season one;

She has a fair bit of make-up on but still looks very attractive in that pic. I can't remember any ep this season where she looked even mildly attractive.

Hollywood is a very fickle place in terms of looks as we know, most especially for women.

Claire Danes "peaked" career wise in 1996 with Romeo and Juliet at 17. And looks-wise also.

She was a cute teenager but never had much "sex-appeal" afterwards, at least compared to the many other options out there.

That's why she never became a movie star as she was/is a reasonable actress.

Also turning down the role in Titanic probably wasn't the best career move.

that's the harsh reality of Hollywood.

chews them up and spits them out.

do you actually think that it works some other way?

there are very few "frumpy" character roles to be filled and Danes wasn't going down that avenue in any case.

• Advertisement

Also turning down the role in Titanic probably wasn't the best career move.

Anytime she has been asked about that she says she doesn't regret turning down that role. I know you might say "Yeah she would say that wouldn't she?" but I actually believe her.
    I kind of admire her for having principles.
    She turned it down because she had just done Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio and he got on her nerves something unreal during that movie.
    So she couldn't stand to do another movie with him.
    They get on fine now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Some really strange commentary in this thread. Claire Danes was was 30 when Homeland started, now she's 41. Of course she aged during that time, but she hasn't really changed that much appearance wise.

Personally I think she's aged quite well and I would say she's fairly attractive. You can go back to say, Terminator 3 from 2003, and see she really has changed very little despite there being nearly two decades between that and Homeland S8.

f6O1f4X.jpg

The point was she never made it as an A-List movie star.

Didn't someone say that she nearly quit acting before homeland as she was getting got no parts?

I wasn't saying that she was unattractive.

She just wasn't attractive enough for Hollywood where sex appeal very much counts in the mainstream attractive actress market.

Danes was in that mainstream actress market, not the "alternative" actress market and I think that it's a reasonable point to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That was my first thought, surely he knew everything about her and apart from her being a potential spy, Carrie is also a bit bat **** crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If there's any spinoff, I want the Pakistani Intelligence lady front and centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Icsics

Didn’t see that ending coming, really enjoyed this season & esp the finale. Hope there some kind of spinoff, love Saul!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Last episode of last series of Homeland in seven words:
    And they all lived happily ever after

• Advertisement

I watched the first ep of season one again last night and two things spring to mind: Claire Danes was far more more attractive then and God, Dana really was annoying.

Advertisement