Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options
1317318319320321323»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

eagle eye wrote: »
    Still over 200 new cases. If we'd have been more forceful about the lockdown, made it law to wear face masks in public and imposed state quarantine for anybody entering the country I'd be confident we would have at most 20% of the cares we are getting daily by now.

What mathematical model did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTE news were talking about the French patient who reported ‘pneumonia’ symptoms on December 27. Sample was rechecked and subsequently confirmed as Covid 19. Makes one wonder when did this thing arrive in Europe, as its 4 days before Wuhan’s first reported case.

The official first cases!

It's believed it actually started end of November best guess, for it to have reached other countries by mid December one has to assume it was already rampant in Wuhan and being covered up. They silenced one doctor - how many others did they silence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

RTE news were talking about the French patient who reported ‘pneumonia’ symptoms on December 27. Sample was rechecked and subsequently confirmed as Covid 19. Makes one wonder when did this thing arrive in Europe, as its 4 days before Wuhan’s first reported case.

We just don't really know, and I don't know how many hospitals would have PCR swabs from months ago in storage. I would have assumed they're destroyed as medical waste once a result comes back.

However, when you think about it, if the majority of people get no symptoms at all, mild symptoms are manageable flu-like symptoms a very large number of early cases would possibly not have been seen by doctors at all. Most people, who aren't at risk fo anything, and don't develop serious symptoms, would be more likely to just take paracetamol, stay at home and go to bed, assuming it's just flu.

I would suspect that in China they didn't notice the early cases either. It's quite possible they didn't really pick up anything as being out of the ordinary until there was a surge.

And remember China was first, so doctors there would not only have not have been expecting this, but the disease wasn't even known.

In December most medics in Europe might have perhaps read an article about it in some journal or something like that but paid little or no attention to it, unless they were specifically involved in travel medicine or something like that.

So, I would suspect most countries' medical systems would have probably just have experienced perhaps some extra cases they were categorising as flu or if they reached hospital and tested negative for flu strains, just as Viral Pneumonia.

That's why I'm really not buying the conspiracy theory about China.

Also, it's worth remembering that even though China did a very good job of containing this after it was detected, their health system is not as developed as many Western European countries. I'm not saying that as a slight on China, but it really isn't and given that fact, they've done a really remarkable job.

However, I would wonder if it would have picked up the outbreak as quickly as a system with comprehensive public primary care system might have.

China has been a story of very rapid growth and development, but when it comes to health infrastructure you're looking at a lot of new, and not as well built-out systems as you might expect in a country that's been developed for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You don't think there was a political motivation?

No, I think they just wanted to have sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Still over 200 new cases. If we'd have been more forceful about the lockdown, made it law to wear face masks in public and imposed state quarantine for anybody entering the country I'd be confident we would have at most 20% of the cares we are getting daily by now.

Then they would have to supply the masks for free like they did in Singapore.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/first-covid-19-case-happened-in-november-china-government-records-show-report

fritzelly wrote: »
    The official first cases!

It's believed it actually started end of November best guess, for it to have reached other countries by mid December one has to assume it was already rampant in Wuhan and being covered up. They silenced one doctor - how many others did they silence

BBC piece also says this person hasn’t a clue where he caught it and he also said he had not been abroad either. French doctors think he was infected between the 14 & 22 of December. Lends creedance to the Nov/Dec theory of the disease being in Europe at that time think.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-52526554

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Two points

Those 200 probably contracted this 2-3 weeks ago

The testing has ramped up significantly so they are catching a higher proportion of "current" cases

We are therefore already showing pretty significant improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

cnocbui wrote: »
    No, I think they just wanted to have sex.

Did you misunderstand that I meant a political motivation for the reporting by the Daily Telegraph of a lockdown breach by the main SAGE opponent of the UK's (previous) herd immunity policy?

Incidentally, the report is a month after the breach occurred and is also on the exact day that the UK surpassed Italy for the greatest number of deaths in Europe.

If it weren't for Professor Ferguson, the UK death toll would be considerably higher than it already is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

weisses wrote: »
    I have a day off tomorrow

Where are you off to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Did you misunderstand that I meant a political motivation for the reporting by the Daily Telegraph of a lockdown breach by the main SAGE opponent of the UK's (previous) herd immunity policy?

Incidentally, the report is a month after the breach occurred and is also on the exact day that the UK surpassed Italy for the greatest number of deaths in Europe.

If it weren't for Professor Ferguson, the UK death toll would be considerably higher than it already is.

I think there is a political angle. Dates are over a month ago so either they only got the story very recently and wrote it up quickly or had it a few weeks. Lot of detail in the article which seems like it wasn't a rushed job. Real Tabloid story too. Wouldn't think it would usually be Telegraph's style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Beasty wrote: »
    Two points

Those 200 probably contracted this 2-3 weeks ago

The testing has ramped up significantly so they are catching a higher proportion of "current" cases

We are therefore already showing pretty significant improvements

Also, as highlighted earlier in the thread, only 60-odd of those 220 cases are in the general community.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Still over 200 new cases. If we'd have been more forceful about the lockdown, made it law to wear face masks in public and imposed state quarantine for anybody entering the country I'd be confident we would have at most 20% of the cases we are getting daily by now.
    Cannot says whether your estimate of 20% is reasonable but no one could argue that these measures would have had a material and beneficial effect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

BBC piece also says this person hasn’t a clue where he caught it and he also said he had not been abroad either. French doctors think he was infected between the 14 & 22 of December. Lends creedance to the Nov/Dec theory of the disease being in Europe at that time think.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-52526554

Would it not have been noticed though, increased ILI cases and deaths in hospitals?

kippy wrote: »

May have been in Ireland in December. A good few posters complained of flu like symptoms around late Dec/early Jan. I know the suggestion that it was Covid has been dismissed multiple times here, but i don’t think it can be ruled out due to this early French case.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think there is a political angle. Dates are over a month ago so either they only got the story very recently and wrote it up quickly or had it a few weeks. Lot of detail in the article which seems like it wasn't a rushed job. Real Tabloid story too. Wouldn't think it would usually be Telegraph's style.

It's handy for them in that the main point (and the reason he resigned) was because of the breach. But it gave them the opportunity to write about the relationship (open marriage - shock horror!) and get clicks.

It's handy for them in that the main point (and the reason he resigned) was because of the breach. But it gave them the opportunity to write about the relationship (open marriage - shock horror!) and get clicks.

Yeah and you couldn't rule out dirty tricks from Johnson and/or Cummings. Will be interesting to see who replaces him and whether UK's policies change much after this.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Would it not have been noticed though, increased ILI cases and deaths in hospitals?

With 80% or so of people having mild cases maybe it just wasn’t picked up in time when the total number of cases were still low. Many may not have even gone to their GP and just popped a few paracetemol and waited till they were better.

Just heard on RTE radio say the case definition for testing had been changed. Know they mentioned changing it later this week at health briefing but didn't think it happened already. Wonder will it lead to increase in cases?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

With 80% or so of people having mild cases maybe it just wasn’t picked up in time when the total number of cases were still low. Many may not have even gone to their GP and just popped a few paracetemol and waited till they were better.

Perhaps, just seems odd to me that this virus could have been circulating for 3 months with no noticeable clinical signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Latest HSE data just released.

As of 8pm, 90 patients in ICU.

651 confirmed cases in acute hospital settings.

Last night that was 91 patients in ICU and 680 in acute hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

How can the HSE decline to make someone available to Prime Time to discuss the fact that NO ONE bar Covid patients are being screened or seen by them currently despite wide reports of hospitals being empty. We as taxpayers and voters deserve more than this, disgraceful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Testing criteria have been relaxed

You no longer need to be in a priority group just sudden onset of symptoms

Step in the right direction

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's the terror of knowing
    What this world is about.
    Watching some good friends screaming,
    "Let me out!"

New thread here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement