Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Uk has overtaken Italy with the highest number of deaths in Europe and still seems to be climbing.

Concerning having that on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

This paper has had absolutely no peer reviewing and that has been admitted by the co-aruthors .
    They released it a newspaper first yesterday and has not been inforced by any scientific journals.
    They seemly released to help people finding a vaccine.
    It also goes against every other paper on mutation of covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

UK reports 698 new deaths and 4,406 new cases.

They are really struggling.

If people want to know what the biggest threat to Ireland getting out of this is, look no further!

Where are most UK cases coming from at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This would explain alot, particularly some countries being able to manage the spread. Be very interesting if European explosion was as much (or even mostly) down to the strain we got, as opposed to the measures implemented. If this goes back to Asian countries or to Australia and that region, be interesting to see if their lockdown measures will be as effective. This is part of the reason why holding up certain countries as bastions of greatness in dealing with the virus is not ideal, there are always more variables at play that need to be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If only 81 cases are outside care settings, and those 81 include hospitals, then local transmission must be minimal now.

Depends where you look check this from Saturday - South (ie mainly Cork) private houses infection number is notable. Quite why is worth knowing as it might indicate something important.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXPucfRWkAAWEk0?format=jpg&name=small
    I would be happy with a crap sound system as long as Ireland does not get near the other COVID-19 KPIs in the UK

It's as if the two points were linked in your mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

91% of carehomes have been tested. 527 out of 581 nursing homes done.

My 95 year old grandmother, in a nursing home, is now 20 days since testing positive, now considered recovered. Didn’t see the inside of a hospital, just rode it out in her room :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

These moron journalists are nearly as soul-destroying as the restrictions.

Tony's reaction to Zara Kings comment of the cocooners in phase 5 was hilarious.
    He has the patience of a saint in fairness to him.

Out of interest is there anywhere we can rewatch these press conferences (I missed the weddings bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Lads Colm Henry wanted to jump the desk to your man there :pac::pac::pac::pac: the face on him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ZX7R wrote: »
    This paper has had absolutely no peer reviewing and that has been admitted by the co-aruthors .
    They released it a newspaper first yesterday and has not been inforced by any scientific journals.
    They seemly released to help people finding a vaccine.
    It also goes against every other paper on mutation of covid-19
    Similar papers come up every few weeks. Every time so far they have been dismissed as minor mutations from the people who seem to know what they are talking about. I can particularly recommend this Twitter account - https://twitter.com/trvrb

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Miike wrote: »
    Lads Colm Henry wanted to jump the desk to your man there :pac::pac::pac::pac: the face on him

I think poor Colm has the 1. The male equivalent of a resting bitchface and 2. Low tolerance for what he considers nonsense

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    I think poor Colm has the 1. The male equivalent of a resting bitchface and 2. Low tolerance for what he considers nonsense

Do you blame him? He gave a perfectly reasonable, succinct answer and the reporter says "yeah mm so watch this space so" and his face turned into pure scorn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Tests per million people at nearly 43,000 if RTÉ numbers are correct. 18th highest in the world and 9th highest of countries with a population over 1m people

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So Italy and Spain, two of the worst affected countries in Europe, opening up some things are used as a stick to beat our authorities who are being more cautious ? Sound logic there . .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Miike wrote: »
    Do you blame him? He gave a perfectly reasonable, succinct answer and the reporter says "yeah mm so watch this space so" and his face turned into pure scorn :pac:

Not at all. He reminds me of me, I'm unable to control my facial expression at times when people make idiotic points

It's why I refuse to use video on my work conference calls :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

My 95 year old grandmother, in a nursing home, is now 20 days since testing positive, now considered recovered. Didn’t see the inside of a hospital, just rode it out in her room :)

Legend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Where are most UK cases coming from at the moment?

The North West according to reports over the weekend.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/03/north-west-overtakes-london-for-number-of-covid-19-hospital-cases-coronavirus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

UK reports 698 new deaths and 4,406 new cases.

They are really struggling.

If people want to know what the biggest threat to Ireland getting out of this is, look no further!

It is worrying, all the more so when we have a pretty soft border with part of it. I doubt that full plane between London and Belfast was a once off, personally I'd be taking the boat at the moment but if I boarded that plane and saw that many people I'd be asking to get off.

Why were all the UK news websites today putting the death figures at in excess of 32,000 but the figure given by Dominic Raab is 2,500 less? I notice that he just gave the new total, not the increase on yesterday, is this an attempt to soften or disguise a shocking figure?

Stheno wrote: »
    Not at all. He reminds me of me, I'm unable to control my facial expression at times when people make idiotic points

It's why I refuse to use video on my work conference calls :D

Are you me? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭threeball

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Uk has overtaken Italy with the highest number of deaths in Europe and still seems to be climbing.

Concerning having that on our doorstep.

Just keep the doors shut to them and the US and we should be able to climb our way out of this. Having those two simpletons running their respective countries means their journey will run and run. My fear is we'll tip the cap and reinstate full travel with both, in which case we as well not have bothered locking down at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shelle1234.

So just to clarify. I'm morbidly obese, diabetic and have hypertension...lucky me.i suffere severe depression and admit seriously to letting myself go, locking myself in the house and trying to eat away the sadness. About 8 months ago i started to get a hold on things. I've lost four stone and although on meds for life (pre existing conditions PCOS) for diabetes, and blood pressure they are controlled. But I still have a ways to go with the old weight.....am I right in thinking that if I get this I'm seriously fecked?? (41 year old female). Also as restrictions ease am I right or wrong to think I'm going to be keeping my kids home and off school until a vaccine is in place because of the risks. I'm all for things getting back to normal but like so many I want it done sensibly. I also feel there will be an element of trial and error and people will die,but I dont want to be trial or error. I have a 13 and 7 year old and dont think I will be letting them out to play or even back to school in Sept Sept something changes. Am I a horrible parent ??

Also ivr been reading this thread from the beginning and although I dont participate often I do appreciate the modicum of sense on this site.....even the odd side of doomsdayers and negative comments are sensible. I've recently looked through a group on fb called end the lockdown ireland and omg .....there are no words for the way some people think lol.

Many thanksxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

hmmm wrote: »
    Similar papers come up every few weeks. Every time so far they have been dismissed as minor mutations from the people who seem to know what they are talking about. I can particularly recommend this Twitter account - https://twitter.com/trvrb
    Thank you for the link.
    Just to add the paper in question appears to have been writing by a group of undergraduates from the Los Alamos laboratory in new Mexico

So just to clarify. I'm morbidly obese, diabetic and have hypertension...lucky me.i suffere severe depression and admit seriously to letting myself go, locking myself in the house and trying to eat away the sadness. About 8 months ago i started to get a hold on things. I've lost four stone and although on meds for life (pre existing conditions PCOS) for diabetes, and blood pressure they are controlled. But I still have a ways to go with the old weight.....am I right in thinking that if I get this I'm seriously fecked?? (41 year old female). Also as restrictions ease am I right or wrong to think I'm going to be keeping my kids home and off school until a vaccine is in place because of the risks. I'm all for things getting back to normal but like so many I want it done sensibly. I also feel there will be an element of trial and error and people will die,but I dont want to be trial or error. I have a 13 and 7 year old and dont think I will be letting them out to play or even back to school in Sept Sept something changes. Am I a horrible parent ??

Also ivr been reading this thread from the beginning and although I dont participate often I do appreciate the modicum of sense on this site.....even the odd side of doomsdayers and negative comments are sensible. I've recently looked through a group on fb called end the lockdown ireland and omg .....there are no words for the way some people think lol.

Many thanksxxxx

You're in the high risk category for sure but if you got your weight down it would remove a lot of your risk. You have 4 months before the kids go back to school. its the perfect opportunity to set a goal to gradually lose weight over the summer. Your kids being the motivation so they can go back to school. Its not healthy for them to be couped up for the next 12 months awaiting a vaccine that might never come. You either. Set a goal, the first step is the hardest. Sugar drives depression and exercise relieves it. Its up to you which to choose.

Many thanksxxxx

Hi Shelle. I think you should definitely speak to your GP for the advice on how to move forward given your medical history. I don't think anyone should comment any further on that be honest with you, as it would be ill placed and ill informed. The GP is best placed to advise further :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Many thanksxxxx

Well done on your weightloss. Four stone is brilliant.

The best thing to do is talk to your doctor in relation to the risk. No you are not a horrible parent. You are thinking of your health and they need you and that might be more important than school in the great scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Many thanksxxxx

I doubt you are seriously fecked but you would probably end up in hospital on oxygen. Old age and underlying illness is more of a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shelle1234.

Dont know how to copy all replies to thank you all but thanks for replies. Much appreciated. Still working on getting healthy but honestly terrified about the risks. Appreciate that this may not have been the place to ask for advice but honestly I would just be taking it as opinions anyway and will be speaking to my gp later this week, where I will raise my concerns (phone appt, wont be going to surgery lol). Thanks so much again all x

Dont know how to copy all replies to thank you all but thanks for replies. Much appreciated. Still working on getting healthy but honestly terrified about the risks. Appreciate that this may not have been the place to ask for advice but honestly I would just be taking it as opinions anyway and will be speaking to my gp later this week, where I will raise my concerns (phone appt, wont be going to surgery lol). Thanks so much again all x

Best of luck.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A reminder to posters to avoid straying into anything that could be construed as medical advice

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Someone said to me earlier, so it must be true, that countries are broadly all coming to a peak at similar times regardless of the lockdown severity approach taken. And that social distancing alone, rather than the shutting down of all businesses, would perhaps have been sufficient had they concentrated on protecting nursing homes etc.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I learn something new everyday. Probotic and micro bio bloom research on covid. Including one from UCC.
    https://isappscience.org/how-some-probiotic-and-prebiotic-scientists-are-working-to-address-covid-19/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement