Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

So just to clarify. I'm morbidly obese, diabetic and have hypertension...lucky me.i suffere severe depression and admit seriously to letting myself go, locking myself in the house and trying to eat away the sadness. About 8 months ago i started to get a hold on things. I've lost four stone and although on meds for life (pre existing conditions PCOS) for diabetes, and blood pressure they are controlled. But I still have a ways to go with the old weight.....am I right in thinking that if I get this I'm seriously fecked?? (41 year old female). Also as restrictions ease am I right or wrong to think I'm going to be keeping my kids home and off school until a vaccine is in place because of the risks. I'm all for things getting back to normal but like so many I want it done sensibly. I also feel there will be an element of trial and error and people will die,but I dont want to be trial or error. I have a 13 and 7 year old and dont think I will be letting them out to play or even back to school in Sept Sept something changes. Am I a horrible parent ??

Also ivr been reading this thread from the beginning and although I dont participate often I do appreciate the modicum of sense on this site.....even the odd side of doomsdayers and negative comments are sensible. I've recently looked through a group on fb called end the lockdown ireland and omg .....there are no words for the way some people think lol.

Many thanksxxxx

Whatever you do don't listen or take advice from this site.

Talk to a professional GP.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 85,755 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So just to clarify. I'm morbidly obese, diabetic and have hypertension...lucky me.i suffere severe depression and admit seriously to letting myself go, locking myself in the house and trying to eat away the sadness. About 8 months ago i started to get a hold on things. I've lost four stone and although on meds for life (pre existing conditions PCOS) for diabetes, and blood pressure they are controlled. But I still have a ways to go with the old weight.....am I right in thinking that if I get this I'm seriously fecked?? (41 year old female). Also as restrictions ease am I right or wrong to think I'm going to be keeping my kids home and off school until a vaccine is in place because of the risks. I'm all for things getting back to normal but like so many I want it done sensibly. I also feel there will be an element of trial and error and people will die,but I dont want to be trial or error. I have a 13 and 7 year old and dont think I will be letting them out to play or even back to school in Sept Sept something changes. Am I a horrible parent ??

Also ivr been reading this thread from the beginning and although I dont participate often I do appreciate the modicum of sense on this site.....even the odd side of doomsdayers and negative comments are sensible. I've recently looked through a group on fb called end the lockdown ireland and omg .....there are no words for the way some people think lol.

Many thanksxxxx

Look after yourself and your family, do what you think is best and take care

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Many thanksxxxx

these can be reversed or greatly reduced with a good diet.
    something like Oatmeal,Wholegrain bread/pasta or rice, then some lean proteins(chicken,fish,eggs),veg & gradually cut down your calories.

Of course it will be hard to cut the proccessed foods at first but think of the benefits

Maybe start a walking program (no risk once you are moving outside) & build from there.

all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Someone said to me earlier, so it must be true, that countries are broadly all coming to a peak at similar times regardless of the lockdown severity approach taken. And that social distancing alone, rather than the shutting down of all businesses, would perhaps have been sufficient had they concentrated on protecting nursing homes etc.

Thoughts?

The person you talked to is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Where are most UK cases coming from at the moment?
    Nursing Homes but there is still lots of clusters in hotspots as well. I supposed packed Aer Lingus Flights wont help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

wadacrack wrote: »
    Cocooners, I hope that phrase becomes eradicated along with Covid

DSC_1120-copy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Seamai wrote: »
    It is worrying, all the more so when we have a pretty soft border with part of it. I doubt that full plane between London and Belfast was a once off, personally I'd be taking the boat at the moment but if I boarded that plane and saw that many people I'd be asking to get off.

Why were all the UK news websites today putting the death figures at in excess of 32,000 but the figure given by Dominic Raab is 2,500 less? I notice that he just gave the new total, not the increase on yesterday, is this an attempt to soften or disguise a shocking figure?
    They are not including care homes in the figures at the same time. Care home figures were added later. They are adding on the same day though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Miike wrote: »
    Are you me? :pac:

Ha! I'd an interaction with a surgeon last year who due to a and e misinterpret an xray had to tell me that rather than three weeks for a minor injury, I was 75% certain to need surgery.

Without me saying anything for a minute or so, he then said "why are you looking at me like I've just told you I'm going to slaughter your family?"

In fairness we had a good chat after I got over the shock, I dont think he was used to being asked to explain the discrepancy in diagnoses, and he was very patient

Then the poor bugger came back advising that his consultant disagreed with him so he got the third degree a second time as to why.

I'm not the best patient at all

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Someone said to me earlier, so it must be true, that countries are broadly all coming to a peak at similar times regardless of the lockdown severity approach taken. And that social distancing alone, rather than the shutting down of all businesses, would perhaps have been sufficient had they concentrated on protecting nursing homes etc.

Thoughts?

Some people are making this case and citing Sweden as evidence of it.
    Watched an interview with a Swedish Scientist on BBC and he said basically that it is far too early to come to conclusions about this.
    Personally I Don't know and I am pretty sure that those who make the decisions to do these things don't really know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Are you normally this angry or is this new?

not normally. this crap is annoying.
    also the new cult of Leo , Harris and Supreme Commander HSE is frustrating. Its a case of the emperors new clothes if there ever was one in Ireland.
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Angry is the new normal

bravo! :)
    That made me laugh
    Beasty wrote: »
    Please read the OP again, and in particular the instruction to remain civil, as if you can't do so I will remove posting privileges

we used to be such friends :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Reddit/Gov.ie

New Cases: 211
    Total Cases: 21983
    New Death: 23
    Total Deaths: 1339

Breakdown of Deaths

• Deaths: 1339
    • Hospitalised + died in hospital: 542 - 46%
    • Died in ICU: 65 - 5%
    • Underlying conditions: 1147 - 86%
    • Median age: 84
    • Mean age: 82

Of 370 in ICU

• Remain in ICU: 90
    • Not everyone in ICU is ventilated. Under 5 new cases admitted on daily basis. No new ones yesterday

As of Sunday 3rd May

• Cases: 21659
    • Hospitalised: 2879 - 13.30%
    • Total In ICU: 369 - 1.70%
    • Median Age of cases: 49
    • Healthcare workers: 6293 - 29% - Increase of 82 from yesterday

Residential Settings (Includes nursing homes)

• Clusters: 394 - Increase of 3 since yesterday
    • Total Cases: 5174 - Increase of 89 since yesterday
    • Total Deaths: 819 - 61%
    • Hospitalised: 370 - 7.20%
    • 91% of all residents and staff have been tested for Covid 19

Nursing Homes

• Clusters: 229 - Increase of 2 since yesterday
    • Total Cases: 4108 - Increase of 59 since yesterday
    • Lab Confirmed Deaths:
    • Hospitalised: 250

Testing

• Total number completed to date: 214,761
    • Total completed last week: 61,707
    • Positive results returned last week: 2,280 - approximately 3.7% positivity rate
    • Current lab testing capacity: Approx. 84,000 tests per week

TESTING
    • re Hitting testing targets by May 18th: De Gascun claims we're on still track to hit 105,000 tests a week by that point. Also, the positivity rate of tests across the board is currently 3.7%. (I think that's lower..? but not 100% on that).
    • 214,000 people have been tested thus far. Most are getting results within 2-4 days but there are still reports of longer waits, they want to hear about these and address them. Where do these delays happen? Sometimes contact info is missing, sometimes there are logistical issues in the lab; repeat testing can occasionally be necessary, etc.
    • Will we still need the German lab to hit 100,000 per week? A lot of focus on this figure - it ultimately depends on what the demand actually ends up being. But there is an ongoing capacity there should it be needed.
    • More on the 100k; ideal scenario is to be able to do a large number of tests and get a small number of positives. They might not need to do 100k a week - they won't know until we ease restrictions and see what happens. The point of 100k is purely to have leftover capacity so they can be comfortable that the figures they're returning are an accurate indication of the virus' spread.
    CARE HOMES
    • re Care home testing sweep; 91% (527 homes) completed (not all of those results are back yet though). Expected to reach 100% in the coming days. More thorough analyses of these results to follow.
    • re staff redeployment to nursing homes - 400 staff have been redeployed thus far. Decision to redeploy depends on the decision making of 23 care teams that visit and assess these homes
    PINTS AND WEDDINGS
    • Re the plans provided by the pubs to reopen earlier: Holohan hasn't seen these, but talks of the issues w/ physical and social distancing in environments essentially designed to encourage the opposite. Up to these individual industries to try to adjust to NPHET advice (so maybe...?)
    • Weddings and similar events don't have clear guidance on rescheduling/adjusting guest numbers etc. Holohan comments that it's difficult to have an event like that be safe given their social nature and involvement of alcohol. Doesn't want to tell people bluntly to reschedule but he seemed to err more that way anyway.
    MISC
    • re reported "hostile interactions" between Holohan and government ministers: He has not come across any tensions whatsoever, says there's no pressure being applied to NPHET that affects their decision-making either.
    • Advice on masks: Non-surgical grade masks can play a role in the community. Currently working on further guidance re their use, should be set out for the 18th. Public transport is one setting that was mentioned, where likely advice might be to wear them here.
    • Leaving Cert: this is ultimately up to the Dept of Education; NPHET have set out requirements re social distancing for students and invigilators, the rest is up to them.
    • Cocooning in Phase 5; allegedly different advice by NPHET vs government document - key point here is that there will always be different advice for cocooners vs the rest of the population. But this document is just a framework; malleable to change details and fine print can change.
    • Are post-mortems being performed on those who die from Covid-19? Not really, there's no indication to do so in cases where the diagnosis has already been established. - reporter claimed that other countries are making "interesting discoveries on autopsy." They will talk to the pathologist to get more info.
    • Our reopening strategy vs that of other countries; we will be conservative. Seeing the rate of spread they saw in March reappear could be disastrous - this is to be avoided as much as possible. They do not want to get this wrong and have to retread back through the phases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Deaths

Median age: 84
    Mean age: 82

The mean is gradually moving closer to the median age. Shows less younger people are dying now as treatments improve.

They are not including care homes in the figures at the same time. Care home figures were added later. They are adding on the same day though.

They gave hospital deaths in the early afternoon (was about 300 today I think) and total deaths later (both numbers are all newly identified deaths with COVID of course, not deaths in last 24 hours)

8 April is still the biggest day of deaths, and daily deaths have been declining since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Many thanksxxxx

Well done on the weight loss, but am I reading this correctly? You are not going to allow your children out to play or to school . I assume you mean by something changing, a vaccine?
    I realise you have to mind your own health but that should not be at the expense of your children's health or mental well-being. Sorry to be blunt, but I think you need to face some reality.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Deaths

The mean is gradually moving closer to the median age. Shows less younger people are dying now as treatments improve.

Possibly less deaths in the community too and more deaths in nursing homes/community hospitals/long term residential settings.

The low volume of cases in the community today is good to see. We're at numbers now that we were getting a week before lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Deaths

Not necessarily, it could be for a range of reasons. Such as, relatively fewer young people being infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Thoughts?

Sweden don't seem to be peaking. Look at their 3 day moving averages for cases and deaths. They're all over the place.

Not necessarily, it could be for a range of reasons. Such as, relatively fewer young people being infected.
    Which will happen given they have been in lockdown for 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

marno21 wrote: »
    Possibly less deaths in the community too and more deaths in nursing homes/community hospitals/long term residential settings.

The low volume of cases in the community today is good to see. We're at numbers now that we were getting a week before lockdown.

What was the number of community cases today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thoughts?
    The person you talked to is an idiot.

Thanks, I'll go back to them with that, it's a well thought out rebuttal.
    MipMap wrote: »
    Some people are making this case and citing Sweden as evidence of it.
    Watched an interview with a Swedish Scientist on BBC and he said basically that it is far too early to come to conclusions about this.
    Personally I Don't know and I am pretty sure that those who make the decisions to do these things don't really know either.

Thanks. Yep, that's pretty much what was said to me. I think time might tell. I do think that social distancing is the main weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Shelle1234.

MD1990 wrote: »
    these can be reversed or greatly reduced with a good diet.
    something like Oatmeal,Wholegrain bread/pasta or rice, then some lean proteins(chicken,fish,eggs),veg & gradually cut down your calories.

Of course it will be hard to cut the proccessed foods at first but think of the benefits

Maybe start a walking program (no risk once you are moving outside) & build from there.

all the best

This is somewhat similar to what I've been doing. I've been doing the 16/8 and intermittent fasting. Seeing great results but slow.

Thanks, I'll go back to them with that, it's a well thought out rebuttal.

Well said. we really need to cut out this nasty rudeness when someone expresses a view that we disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

DOCARCH wrote: »
    More deaths, but still less deaths, pro rata/per million, than Italy, Spain and Belgium.

Don't worry, at 693 deaths a day they will be worse by all measures very shortly.

True. But ultimately less young are dying. Govt policy needs to reflect these facts. Older people need to be protected but younger people need a break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Deaths

What treatments are you referring to?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Don't worry, at 693 deaths a day they will be worse by all measures very shortly.

True. We were always told UK was 3 weeks behind Italy

What treatments are you referring to?

Strange comment. Understanding the virus of course. Learning.
    Every day doctors are learning how to treat this virus and improving.

Understanding the virus of course. Learning.
    And this additional Understanding/Learning cannot be applied to the Elderly
    only to the younger?

MipMap wrote: »
    And this additional Understanding/Learning cannot be applied to the Elderly
    only to the younger?

I dispair sometimes. Basic misunderstanding of comorbidities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Strange comment. Understanding the virus of course. Learning.
    Every day doctors are learning how to treat this virus and improving.

You should read a detailed account of what happened in Italian hospitals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement