Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

cnocbui wrote: »
    You should read a detailed account of what happened in Italian hospitals.

You will notice the Italians learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

I dispair sometimes. Basic misunderstanding of comorbidities.
    I despair sometimes when I see people trying so hard to believe what they want to believe that they see evidence everywhere that re-enforces the views they hold.

MipMap wrote: »
    I despair sometimes when I see people trying so hard to believe what they want to believe that they see evidence everywhere that re-enforces the views they hold.

Evidence of less deaths. Yes sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Deaths

Median age: 84
    Mean age: 82

The mean is gradually moving closer to the median age. Shows less younger people are dying now as treatments improve.

Not necessarily.The larger sample size and the more recent concentration of deaths in nursing homes will tend to bring the figures closer together.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shelle1234.

Well done on the weight loss, but am I reading this correctly? You are not going to allow your children out to play or to school . I assume you mean by something changing, a vaccine?
    I realise you have to mind your own health but that should not be at the expense of your children's health or mental well-being. Sorry to be blunt, but I think you need to face some reality.

No, I dont think you are being blunt or harsh. I asked for opinions and having read this thread from the beginning I was certain I would get a variety of answers and opinions lol. I suppose partly I dont want them out to protect myself but no, I mainly dont want them out to protect them. I'm working on the physical but my depression and anxiety can cause all sorts of worry and panic at times and I'm just worried about all of us getting it. I'm not sure where I stand on the whole school issue. I understand they need it and I'm all for education but my seven year old is a nightmare with hands to face and I'm not sure she is capable of keeping her distance in school (again not talking definitive here, just thinking out loud, so could really change my opinion over time). There have been no reported deaths in young kids I know but there have been the odd one in teenagers and having a 13 year old I just worry I suppose. Dont get me wrong I'm not one of those people who think we should sit in lockdown forever I realise things need to get m8ving again. But I know I'm not the only parent in Ireland dealing with these concerns...also, we have them out within the 2km for exercise most days and they facetime friends so so far we have done what we are being told to do. Going forward they are getting plenty of fresh air and arent cut off from others either. Thanks for the reply xxx

• Advertisement

Evidence of less deaths. Yes sir.
    Less deaths (according to you) primarily among the younger age group. In a society where the environment for that group has been radically changed by the lockdown.

Something that has not really affected those in care homes or the elderly cocooning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

On RTE news it was dropped in casually based on the confirmed case in France for last December, that we in fact could be now in the 2nd wave and all this started much earlier than previously thought.
    The second wave of the Spanish flu being far more severe than the initial wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

You dispair about randomers on the internet.

I think you should worry more about your faulty logical abilities, evidenced in the post that sparked the current flurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭giveitholly

RobertKK wrote: »
    On RTE news it was dropped in casually based on the confirmed case in France for last December, that we in fact could be now in the 2nd wave and all this started much earlier than previously thought.
    The second wave of the Spanish flu being far more severe than the initial wave.

And was the second wave of the Spanish flu the worst wave in that pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You will notice the Italians learned.

... to ignore the WHO and treat it as an airborne contagion and to go to full sealed PPE gear to save their own lives. New ways of treating patients to lessen the death rate - not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Yes

death-chart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, by far.

No, I dont think you are being blunt or harsh. I asked for opinions and having read this thread from the beginning I was certain I would get a variety of answers and opinions lol. I suppose partly I dont want them out to protect myself but no, I mainly dont want them out to protect them. I'm working on the physical but my depression and anxiety can cause all sorts of worry and panic at times and I'm just worried about all of us getting it. I'm not sure where I stand on the whole school issue. I understand they need it and I'm all for education but my seven year old is a nightmare with hands to face and I'm not sure she is capable of keeping her distance in school (again not talking definitive here, just thinking out loud, so could really change my opinion over time). There have been no reported deaths in young kids I know but there have been the odd one in teenagers and having a 13 year old I just worry I suppose. Dont get me wrong I'm not one of those people who think we should sit in lockdown forever I realise things need to get m8ving again. But I know I'm not the only parent in Ireland dealing with these concerns...also, we have them out within the 2km for exercise most days and they facetime friends so so far we have done what we are being told to do. Going forward they are getting plenty of fresh air and arent cut off from others either. Thanks for the reply xxx
    Shelle. There is and old song "One Day At A Time"
    Right now the kids cannot go to schools or play with their friends because that is what the government say. You don't need to make any decisions about that at this stage.
    They won't be going back to school anyway until September so that is when you need to start to worry about it.
    By then I hope there will be treatments, anti-virals, God knows what which will help us make these decisions easier.

Cross that bridge when we come to it.

Best wishes to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

True. We were always told UK was 3 weeks behind Italy

According to the FT there may well have been double the amount of c-19 deaths in UK. From the ONS as of April 21st there were an additional 41000 deaths (conservative estimate) above the normal.
    Mostly of very old people in care homes and at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Neil Ferguson taken down by the Daily Telegraph (got a visit from his married lover), on the day the UK reaches the highest death toll in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Neil Ferguson taken down by the Daily Telegraph (got a visit from his married lover), on the day the UK reaches the highest death toll in Europe.
    Do as I say ....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

is_that_so wrote: »
    Do as I say ....!!

You don't think there was a political motivation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

RobertKK wrote: »

They recognised it as a strain of flu that hit early rather than later in the flu season. Why did you post this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

US death toll now over 70,000.

1,627 so far today, 71,548 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The deflection agenda ramping up. The source a surprise to nobody.

You dispair about randomers on the internet.

I think you should worry more about your faulty logical abilities, evidenced in the post that sparked the current flurry.

An example of how doctors have improved treatment of patients is use of ventilators. I believe doctors are learning.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-ventilators-specia/special-report-as-virus-advances-doctors-rethink-rush-to-ventilate-idUSKCN2251PE

https://time.com/5820556/ventilators-covid-19/

Edit...this thread is pretty toxic now. Used to be good for info now it's just aggressive picking on small points if phraseology. Real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

US death toll now over 70,000.

1,627 so far today, 71,548 total.

Any positive updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Do we have any concrete facts or data about the virus apart from the fact that it spreads

All the data or stats seems to be open to interpretation or inaccurate

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Still over 200 new cases. If we'd have been more forceful about the lockdown, made it law to wear face masks in public and imposed state quarantine for anybody entering the country I'd be confident we would have at most 20% of the cares we are getting daily by now.

This is the original comment you made
    Deaths

Median age: 84
    Mean age: 82

The mean is gradually moving closer to the median age. Shows less younger people are dying now as treatments improve.

It wasn't that bad really. We all make off the cuff comments like this.
    Then, however, you decided to double down when people pulled you up on it.

Then you resorted to being rude by talking about "how it despairs you...."

(people get rude and nasty when they know they are losing the argument)

Edit...this thread is pretty toxic now. Used to be good for info now it's just aggressive picking on small points if phraseology. Real shame.

It is not hard to have a debate. Be polite. Respectful. When you are wrong,move on.

When you are in a hole, Stop Digging.

RTE news were talking about the French patient who reported ‘pneumonia’ symptoms on December 27. Sample was rechecked and subsequently confirmed as Covid 19. Makes one wonder when did this thing arrive in Europe, as its 4 days before Wuhan’s first reported case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

sterz wrote: »
    Any positive updates?

I have a day off tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement