Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

People are hilarious. Being asked to do one thing which is basically stay home and do nothing and a select few can't even do that.
    No point in arguing with these idiots either. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

You can't argue with facts. The rest of Europe are pulling away from us, they have much more progressive plans. Ireland is going to suffer because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

GazzaL wrote:
    Every other country in Europe is not stupid. Our "plan" is going to destroy lives.

It ll be fine, they ll adjust it over time, as this is a very dynamic situation, I'm sure our plan will save many lives, as have been already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

rtron wrote: »
    Hi Cinema guy,
    You are free to do what ever you like, but if your stopped by the gaurdi and they ask questions like. What's your name,? Where are you from? What's the purpose of your trip?
    They are free to fine you or put you in jail if the answers aren't good enough.

Ehh... actually they are not, they are free to charge you and have the file put to the dpp to see if a procecution is to proceed. They cannot fine you - that is the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

To all those saying this is saving lives and all that... where in this plan I can see when the screening tests for cancer and diabetes complications are restarting?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It ll be fine, they ll adjust it over time, as this is a very dynamic situation, I'm sure our plan will save many lives, as have been already

It's a working document, as Leo said himself
    "If, for example, we found out the virus was dissipating and weakening much quicker than we intended, there are some things that are now in phase five or four that might be brought forward."

Let's see how it plays out, if we do well we might get things moving quicker. If not then hopefully August 10th we'll be back to 90% normailtiy

• Advertisement

Quick question:

Why are Woodies and Homebase still closed?

They are huge stores with big side isles which makes it very easy to keep your distance. Well spaced out checkouts. They also have everything you need for house and garden which would make this isolation so much easier to bear. I have been completely on my own for 7 weeks at this stage.

In comparison both Dealz and Choice are open, just a few doors down from Woodies here in Drogheda.

Quick question:

They are huge stores with big side isles which makes it very easy to keep your distance. Well spaced out checkouts. They also have everything you need for house and garden which would make this isolation so much easier to bear. I have been completely on my own for 7 weeks at this stage.

In comparison both Dealz and Choice are open, just a few doors down from Woodies here in Drogheda.

Because some idiots decided so...honestly don’t get it why wait another 2 weeks with something like this, i think in Poland this sort of shops never closed in the first place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

This time of year I love going out fishing before the sun rises.
    Leave here at 4 am, the dawn chorus starts.
    There at the fishing mark at 5 as it's a bit of a walk from the road.
    I'd go along the rocks fishing for bass, the best time is when darkness is beginning to lighten up, you've a 2hr timeframe, then that's it they're gone from near the surface (they feel safer from seals and dolphins who can't see so well in the dark) and back into deeper water..and it's harder to locate them.
    99.9% I'd get away with it, without getting caught.

But I'm 100% sure I'd feel guilty, fearful and anxious, therefore what's the point of 0.1% of a thrilling fishing experience for 99.9% of the latter.

It's a big bone of contention.

This time of year I also go out looking at the gentians and other late spring flowers in the Burren, I can do that as it's at my doorstep.
    I can also go to the local river fly fishing,as it's less than a kilometre walk away. Down a boreen, through a field and I'm there.

I can see eagles from the back garden, the bats are starting to emerge in the evening time.
    I went down a cave two days ago, this place is peppered with cave's.

Ailawee Cave and Doolin cave are at the commercial spectrum, excuse the pun but these cave's are more underground. Sometimes you're on your belly to get in through the entrance.

I'm extremely lucky to be able to exercise within 2km, I can do all these pursuits.

I'm going to camp out tonight in a valley of Hazelwood, around a km and a half away in the commons, it's no man's land.
    I spend a day building a shelter last week armed with a Bushman saw and garden loppers and a seceteurs. Never had the chance to due to the 9 to 5 Monday to Friday...

That's my night away, for the Bank holiday weekend.
    No phone signal, as it's in a dip.

Am I nuts, to some yes but I'm a happy camper.

And I'm not going to break any rules or have social distancing problem.

Living the dream during a nightmare...

Good for you i can walk up to Tesco along the littered road with my kid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Quick question:

Drove by homebase liffey Valley last week and there was people coming out.

• Advertisement

Drove by homebase liffey Valley last week and there was people coming out.

I wouldn't get that far in these restrictions but there are 2 here beside me in Drogheda. Its just so disappointing the Government couldn't have seen to open these places NOW. I feel like there is just no "carrot" in all of this, its hard not to feel like its a punishment.

There are queues and queues outside Lidl, Aldi and Tesco. Queueing and social distancing is already the new norm. WHY couldn't they have let Woodies and Homebase open this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johnny0232

Why on earth have Off licenses been immune to closing when businesses like repair shops/DIY have been forced to shut there doors. Is alcohol an essential good? Alcohol is widely available in supermarkets either way so why let small off licenses open, where social distance can be pretty hard at times. Says a lot about the Irish culture towards drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

People are hilarious. Being asked to do one thing which is basically stay home and do nothing and a select few can't even do that.
    No point in arguing with these idiots either. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

It's you that is hilarious while most other people are worried about their economic future. As for not being able to stay at home, when faced with an adversary humans instinctively react in one of two ways: run and hide or stand and fight. These are basic instincts that can affect us all in many ways. For those who would run away, staying home to watch Netflix is both comforting and satisfying, but for everyone else it is frustrating and difficult to take. Why do you think so many teenage men lie about their age in order to go to war? For many people, being asked to do nothing against an adversary is the toughest ask of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

It's a working document, as Leo said himself
    "If, for example, we found out the virus was dissipating and weakening much quicker than we intended, there are some things that are now in phase five or four that might be brought forward."

Let's see how it plays out, if we do well we might get things moving quicker. If not then hopefully August 10th we'll be back to 90% normailtiy

And they might discover another fu*k up on their part and stretch it out longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

GazzaL wrote: »
    You can't argue with facts. The rest of Europe are pulling away from us, they have much more progressive plans. Ireland is going to suffer because of it.

Give it 2-4 weeks and our numbers will be dramatically falling. I have no doubt about this unless something terrible happens in the meantime. Good luck to them trying to explain to people why we have to continue with this plan until August when there's hardly any new cases and deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭This is it

I wouldn't get that far in these restrictions but there are 2 here beside me in Drogheda. Its just so disappointing the Government couldn't have seen to open these places NOW. I feel like there is just no "carrot" in all of this, its hard not to feel like its a punishment.

There are queues and queues outside Lidl, Aldi and Tesco. Queueing and social distancing is already the new norm. WHY couldn't they have let Woodies and Homebase open this weekend?

No carrot? The carrot is not spreading a deadly virus.

If they opened this weekend they would be jammed the whole weekend and social distancing would be impossible. Opening on a Monday instead of the beginning of a Bank Holiday means more people will be at work or working from home, less people making their way to these locations, easier to manage. Though I still think it'll be mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

nthclare wrote: »
    This time of year I love going out fishing before the sun rises.
    Leave here at 4 am, the dawn chorus starts.
    There at the fishing mark at 5 as it's a bit of a walk from the road.
    I'd go along the rocks fishing for bass, the best time is when darkness is beginning to lighten up, you've a 2hr timeframe, then that's it they're gone from near the surface (they feel safer from seals and dolphins who can't see so well in the dark) and back into deeper water..and it's harder to locate them.
    99.9% I'd get away with it, without getting caught.

But I'm 100% sure I'd feel guilty, fearful and anxious, therefore what's the point of 0.1% of a thrilling fishing experience for 99.9% of the latter.

It's a big bone of contention.

This time of year I also go out looking at the gentians and other late spring flowers in the Burren, I can do that as it's at my doorstep.
    I can also go to the local river fly fishing,as it's less than a kilometre walk away. Down a boreen, through a field and I'm there.

I can see eagles from the back garden, the bats are starting to emerge in the evening time.
    I went down a cave two days ago, this place is peppered with cave's.

Ailawee Cave and Doolin cave are at the commercial spectrum, excuse the pun but these cave's are more underground. Sometimes you're on your belly to get in through the entrance.

I'm extremely lucky to be able to exercise within 2km, I can do all these pursuits.

I'm going to camp out tonight in a valley of Hazelwood, around a km and a half away in the commons, it's no man's land.
    I spend a day building a shelter last week armed with a Bushman saw and garden loppers and a seceteurs. Never had the chance to due to the 9 to 5 Monday to Friday...

That's my night away, for the Bank holiday weekend.
    No phone signal, as it's in a dip.

Am I nuts, to some yes but I'm a happy camper.

And I'm not going to break any rules or have social distancing problem.

Living the dream during a nightmare...

Sounds ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

This is it wrote: »
    No carrot? The carrot is not spreading a deadly virus.

If they opened this weekend they would be jammed the whole weekend and social distancing would be impossible. Opening on a Monday instead of the beginning of a Bank Holiday means more people will be at work or working from home, less people making their way to these locations, easier to manage. Though I still think it'll be mayhem.

Bollocks. They would use the same q system and social distancing as supermarkets. People arent going to burst into the shops like its black friday.

bush wrote: »
    Bollocks. They would use the same q system and social distancing as supermarkets. People arent going to burst into the shops like its black friday.

That's exactly what it would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Ehh... actually they are not, they are free to charge you and have the file put to the dpp to see if a procecution is to proceed. They cannot fine you - that is the UK.

Thanks for the clarification, there is much misinformation out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Tork

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/lidl-apologises-after-hundreds-queue-for-deals-on-bbqs-and-garden-furniture-996997.html
    German discount giant Lidl says it couldn't have anticipated the demand which saw hundreds of people queue outside its shops from dawn this morning for deals on barbecues and garden furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

GazzaL wrote: »
    I've offered an alternative, repeatedly. We follow the lead of our fellow European countries and ease restrictions, allow businesses to re-open once they use social distancing and good hygiene practices. Most businesses are ready to do this immediately, because they were either doing it already before the lockdown or have been working on it for the last 5 weeks while they watch their liabilities grow with no money coming in. We are the slow man of Europe, absolutely pathetic.
    If we did that and cases spiked, we'd have to close everything again as we wouldn't know what the cause of the spike was. That would be incredibly damaging.

A gradual reopening would allow us to very easily know which changes are causing the disease to spread. It's a sensible approach. Starting with mostly outdoor activities is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Johnny0232 wrote: »
    Why on earth have Off licenses been immune to closing when businesses like repair shops/DIY have been forced to shut there doors. Is alcohol an essential good? Alcohol is widely available in supermarkets either way so why let small off licenses open, where social distance can be pretty hard at times. Says a lot about the Irish culture towards drink.

A joint is still illegal while off licenses are deemed essential.

We seriously need to check our laws in this country.

The large DIY stores should have opened this weekend. If it’s emphasised that’s it’s for those living within 5km it would keep the numbers down. Then more people could access it when it goes to 10km and so on. Footfall would be staggered to some extent..

The Germans started easing their restrictions and the infection rate went up again https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-germanys-rate-of-covid-19-infections-grows-after-lockdown-eased-11980194
    Germany faces the prospect of having to restore stricter lockdown measures as its number and rate of coronavirus infections grew again.
    Hailed as among Europe's most successful in tackling the pandemic, the country began relaxing restrictions on 20 April to allow small businesses to open as the reproduction rate of the virus fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Tork wrote: »
    The Germans started easing their restrictions and the infection rate went up again

It's going to be a long and bumpy road ahead. Depressing.

The large DIY stores should have opened this weekend. If it’s emphasised that’s it’s for those living within 5km it would keep the numbers down. Then more people could access it when it goes to 10km and so on. Footfall would be staggered to some extent..

They should never have been closed in the first place but the past is the past. The problem now is that there's a good chance there will be a surge at first. Apart from the garden furniture and BBQ brigade who didn't get what they wanted in Lidl, there's a pent-up demand for all sorts of DIY and gardening goods. I think opening them on a working day is the best they can do now.

Tork wrote: »
    They should never have been closed in the first place but the past is the past. The problem now is that there's a good chance there will be a surge at first. Apart from the garden furniture and BBQ brigade who didn't get what they wanted in Lidl, there's a pent-up demand for all sorts of DIY and gardening goods. I think opening them on a working day is the best they can do now.

Absolutely. A weekend would be madness, a Bank Holiday weekend even worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

uli84 wrote: »
    To all those saying this is saving lives and all that... where in this plan I can see when the screening tests for cancer and diabetes complications are restarting?

AHA! you ve done it!, you ve pointed out a hole in the system... man we really are messing up not having someone like you to point out these elusive flaws in this plan.

Now we can cancel all restrictions based on this powerful knowledge obtained. God bless boards and the heroes on it that keep finding these flaws..geniuses and pioneers..

Cupatae wrote: »
    AHA! you ve done it!, you ve pointed out a hole in the system... man we really are messing up not having someone like you to point out these elusive flaws in this plan.

Now we can cancel all restrictions based on this powerful knowledge obtained. God bless boards and the heroes on it that keep finding these flaws..geniuses and pioneers..

Well, didn’t intend that but it’s genuinely stressing me out as I’m due both in May and I had ‘small’ changes on previous tests which might br more serious 3 and 1 year later respectively , was truly hoping I missed something reading the docs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

the fact that they didn't keep open huge shops like woodies or B&Q make me thing that the government might be not be so interest on the population health as they want us to believe.

Advertisement