Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

rubadub wrote: »
    It was regularly on sale in tesco, €20 for 24cans and 5%. Then the offers stopped and then it seemed to disappear.

The rip off swingtops are here. https://nutsaboutwine.ie/shop/grolsch-12-x-330ml-e14-99/
    only worth buying if you are using them for homebrewing, and even then there are better beers with swingtops and brown glass.

I imagine they will continue to be here, since many offies do not order from the official distributors anyway.

I remember getting Stolichnaya vodka years back before it was officially distributed here. Then it came in, price increased and it dropped from 40% to 37.5%.

Similar to how some places will sell 5% cans or 330ml bottles of Heineken not intended for the Irish market.

Tesco do a 650ml 5% but I think its not intended to be sold here, and I wonder what heineken think about them doing this.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255218992

Just curious as to why it's not intended to be sold here, is it the size of the bottle or the strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Just curious as to why it's not intended to be sold here, is it the size of the bottle or the strength?

The strength, they dilute it down to 4.3% for the Irish market to match "irish tastes". My supervalu used to sell scottish market 5% heineken beside the irish 4.3% and the 5% was cheaper per can.

Some "craft beer" type pubs who do not serve the likes of guinness sometimes have 5% heineken, they import from non-official places. I guess either the offical distributors want nothing to do with them, or the pub does not want to deal with them.

There is/was only 1 other country with 4.3% heineken, I can never remember the name, some obscure place I had never heard of before.

https://twitter.com/AaronMcAllorum/status/374528719484112896
    @Heineken_IE
    why is Heineken in Ireland only available at 4.3% abv and not at 5% abv like the rest of Europe?
    2:46 PM · Sep 2, 2013·Twitter for iPhone
    Heineken Ireland
    @Heineken_IE
    ·
    Sep 3, 2013
    Replying to
    @AaronMcAllorum
    @AaronMcAllorum
    Hi Aaron, in Ireland the cultural standard abv for the majority of beer brands is 4.3%, so we abide by that abv standard.

rubadub wrote: »
    The strength, they dilute it down to 4.3% for the Irish market to match "irish tastes". My supervalu used to sell scottish market 5% heineken beside the irish 4.3% and the 5% was cheaper per can.

Some "craft beer" type pubs who do not serve the likes of guinness sometimes have 5% heineken, they import from non-official places. I guess either the offical distributors want nothing to do with them, or the pub does not want to deal with them.

There is/was only 1 other country with 4.3% heineken, I can never remember the name, some obscure place I had never heard of before.

https://twitter.com/AaronMcAllorum/status/374528719484112896

That's crazy in my eyes, what "standard" do they think we have here? I personally wouldn't drink anything under 5% ABV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I got my haul in Lidl last night and they were going fast, should get me through the weekend

Whats the offer in LIDL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Peter File wrote: »
    Probably old news to the expert drinkers here but Grolsch are gone from the Irish market so no more flip top bottles :(

Ah no. They also stocked the 330ml cans here too. Nice stuff. Very like heineken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Peter File wrote: »
    Probably old news to the expert drinkers here but Grolsch are gone from the Irish market so no more flip top bottles :(

Since when are Grolsch gone? I bought Grolsch in the off-licence in Lucan Village after Christmas. If they're gone- its a recent development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I see 12x330ml bira moretti bottles in tesco Maynooth. No price up yet though. Peroni is 18 for 12 so presume it'll be much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So excited to try these. Blow the head off ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

rob316 wrote: »

Leave the two gulden draak until the end. Otherwise you'll be disappointed with all the rest :D excellent value for 15 euro.

rob316 wrote: »

Careful now, I’ve had them and trust me, if you drink all of them tonight you’ll want a gun in the morning to end your suffering :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’ve never drank any beer stronger than 5% so which bottle in the Belgian beer box should I start off with?

I noticed also in lidl there was another selection box of ales I think? Did anyone pick that box up?

I think ill start with the weakest and work my way up! 😅

fin12 wrote: »
    I’ve never drank any beer stronger than 5% so which bottle in the Belgian beer box should I start off with?

I noticed also in lidl there was another selection box of ales I think? Did anyone pick that box up?

If you want an instant bang bang feeling start with golden draak or whatever in the box is around 10-11%

Go hard and then wind down to the lower percents

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

The Finnish beers on offer this weekend are decent too. https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/craft-beer-specials/premium-lager-ale/p40551

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭fran38

That would be the golden beers package. 8 330 bottles for a tenner. I was gonna buy it earlier but got the 6 bottle belgian beer for 15 snots. I tried the white bottle gulden draak just now. Defo feeling a buzz off it but taste isnt my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

Since when are Grolsch gone? I bought Grolsch in the off-licence in Lucan Village after Christmas. If they're gone- its a recent development.

Apparently they stopped a brewing contract last November in UK and Ireland. Their owner Asahi has withdrawn Grolsch from these 2 markets. Very disappointing news to discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

What do people think of Birra Moretti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/craft-beer-specials/belgian-beer-giftpack/p40563

Has anyone bought this box in Lidl?

What are the beers like?

The Bornhems are great, Pirratt ok, Guilden draak is sickly sweet.
    With all of them caution is advised, very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Andrew00 wrote: »

Nice when in Italia. You'll pay for a bottle in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Andrew00 wrote: »

Really nice. Get the 4 660ml for a tender in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Moretti has been in my local O Briens (Carlow) for a good few weeks now (i'd say 6-8) on offer, 12 for €15. I've been drinking practically nothing else other than it and Brewdog Punk IPA which is 12 for €12 in the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

franglan wrote: »
    Nice when in Italia. You'll pay for a bottle in Ireland.

A local off licence near me is selling a box of 24 for €30 and another offie a box of 12 for €16

fran38 wrote: »
    That would be the golden beers package. 8 330 bottles for a tenner. I was gonna buy it earlier but got the 6 bottle belgian beer for 15 snots. I tried the white bottle gulden draak just now. Defo feeling a buzz off it but taste isnt my thing.

Theres an ale 6x500ml for a tenner. I was walking so couldn't grab one.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

Is there any consensus on best place to buy good value wine?

I'd normally get that Tesco deal for 6 bottles but seems to be rate these days or has reduced selection.

Thinking there might be some better place online. Or maybe some group collective buying deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

A local off licence near me is selling a box of 24 for €30 and another offie a box of 12 for €16

Very good Valyeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

eoinp11 wrote: »

I'd normally get that Tesco deal for 6 bottles but seems to be rate these days or has reduced selection.

Thinking there might be some better place online. Or maybe some group collective buying deal.

Wine Lab is great. 55 for 6 bottles, with free delivery. https://www.winelab.ie/shop/everydayheroes

Failing that, Aldi wines are the best price to quality of all the supermarkets. Check out the vino veritas thread on boards for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Some Tesco wine prices have dropped. I was able to get Yellow Tail for €8 during the week, first time it's been that cheap in a very long time. I'd been buying it for €9 on offer in SuperValu as it's normally €12/14

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

geordi wrote: »
    Wine Lab is great. 55 for 6 bottles, with free delivery. https://www.winelab.ie/shop/everydayheroes

Failing that, Aldi wines are the best price to quality of all the supermarkets. Check out the vino veritas thread on boards for recommendations.

A lucky dip! No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Lidl are the best, followed by Aldi. The estevez Carmanere for €6.50 in Aldi is outstanding value.
    M&S have new range ‘This is’ from €7.30-7.80, good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Tesco 6 for €40 and 6 for €50 selections start again this Monday morning and are available throughout the May bank holiday weekend. 😉

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement