Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal words that the UK use but we don't

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kravmaga wrote: »
    lol Was in a post office in London to buy a stamp to post something back to Dublin , circa 2002, is that for Southern Ireland love, I replied, Republic of Ireland, Southern Ireland is a region not a country.

She had not a clue
    Republic of Ireland is a soccer team. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I find this fascinating. Thanks to all contributors.

Must be a link to the Vikings or whatever. The Normans had a great influence on our lingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

arctictree wrote: »
    Brits tend to use the work 'overseas' for someone who is gone travelling abroad. Its used here in the media but I've never heard it in conversation.

Yeah here it would be ‘away out foreign’

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

UK Ex Pats abroad are not immigrants ever. Gets me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

MenloPete wrote: »
    A bold child is an Irish thing.

Bold means brave to the Brits

Bold means brave to the dictionary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Administration and Liquidation are two different legal concepts. Administration is just rarer in ireland.
    Allinall wrote: »
    As far as I know, administration in the Uk is the equivalent of receivership here, and Chapter Eleven in the US

Examinership is the Irish equivalent. The U.K. would generally refer to an administrative receivership.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

When I worked in the UK everyone in my office called lunch time dinner time.

Northerners only!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

MenloPete wrote: »
    A bold child is an Irish thing.

Bold means brave to the Brits

I remember being confused when that used to appear in children's books to describe the hero, "bold Sir Robin" etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Nope.
    Both parents Catholic.
    I don't have a religion.
    Thats nearly a Protestant !

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

‘High Tea’ was on the menu when I staying in the local maternity hospital two years ago, which still amuses me. It involved a choice between miscellaneous congealed slop and unidentifiable miscellaneous congealed slop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s and gingers were redheads. Never heard the word foxy, ever...it actually sounds like something the English would use. It’s certainly not a common irish term.

The way it would be used was "the foxy fella" or foxy headed to describe a red haired person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

kravmaga wrote: »
    lol Was in a post office in London to buy a stamp to post something back to Dublin , circa 2002, is that for Southern Ireland love, I replied, Republic of Ireland, Southern Ireland is a region not a country.

She had not a clue

You sure put that post office worker in a foreign country back in her box.
    I'd say she remember the day as well as yourself 18 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭65535

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

trashcan wrote: »
    We tend to say it because it's grammatically correct. Same with "I was just stood there". No, you were just standings there.
    Yes, just as in the UK they use "shalll" when it's grammatically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Secondment another one. I have been seconded to work in the UK in summers past. Never hear the word used in Ireland.

Secondment is used a lot here. Depends where you work I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

blueser wrote: »
    Born and brought up in Manchester, to Irish parents, and I'm with you here. Never, ever heard "press" used to describe a cupboard. And the area where your hot water tank is located is, and always will be, the airing cupboard. Same with "trainers", and "chippy".

Airing cupboard - pfffft.
    That will always be the corporation press.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Brennans Bread have posters on bus shelters in Ireland about the perfect sambo

Apparently the Brits think sambo is racist :eek: bizarre

The poor Brits, I pity them for their lack of sambos washed down by a rock shandy

Very true, I nearly got into a bit of trouble in the office with that one when I first moved over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

65535 wrote: »

Boils my pi$$. All because they cant pronounce their own language correctly.

"I've not taken many trips in an helicopter" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 HugoRune

Airing cupboard is full on "la-di-da". Hot press for me. Presses are also places to keep things like teatowels, the iron and an uneven number of part-used batteries.

Note: I'm not from the city. Which is where I first heard the term sambo - to which I said "what?"

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Took me ages to get my head around to the Irish use of the conditional in non-conditional phrases. I'd always be left hanging waiting for the "if".

e.g. "I would be a fan of Gary Glitter" — should be followed by a qualifying "if he didn't fiddle with little boys" clause.

I used to wind my wife up about this turn of phrase, until we came to Ireland and realised it was ubiquitous here. My English teacher would be apoplectic if he ever came to visit!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The word Banter but we use Craic, I can’t stand people from Ireland using Banter, we’re having the craic not the banter or I was only having a bitta craic not a bitta banter.

Craic is just a "gaelcisation" of the English work crack.

The term originated in the north of England, it's not originally Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lawn Tennis, in Ireland it’s just Tennis :D

Rarely do I hear the English distinguish between tennis and lawn tennis.

But they certainly refer to what we call "rugby" as 'rugby union", obviously to distinguish it from "rugby league"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes you do, your catholic too. Ask your parents.

Difficult, considering my dad is dead.

I chose my religion or lack of it, no one else.

You're, not your.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was stood at the door,

I was sat on the floor.

And the floor means anywhere inside or outside aswell.

I amn't a fan of that usage either. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Always notice the Brits always say "I've not had my tea yet". Whereas nearly everyone in Ireland would say "I haven't had my tea yet". Be interesting to know what thats about if someone could explain?

Also, Afternoon Tea. I know its catching on in Ireland a lot the last couple of years but never heard of Afterrnoon Tea until I went to work in a hotel in London nearly 10 years ago, its a huge thing over there for people. The idea of going to a fancy hotel or restaurant just to have tiny cakes and scones and tea served on a fancy serving thing and paying good money for it was bizzare to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Also, Afternoon Tea. I know its catching on in Ireland a lot the last couple of years but never heard of Afterrnoon Tea until I went to work in a hotel in London nearly 10 years ago, its a huge thing over there for people. The idea of going to a fancy hotel or restaurant just to have tiny cakes and scones and tea served on a fancy serving thing and paying good money for it was bizzare to me.
    Do they not go for a shag afterwards ? I always that was a bit of a Euphemism for a bit of the other ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

British people tend to say ill or poorly, rather than sick.

When we say 'poorly' it means you are at death's door, the undertaker is on speed dial and the grave is dug

blinding wrote:
    Do they not go for a shag afterwards ? I always that was a bit of a Euphemism for a bit of the other ! !

Haha it would be a good way to explain such an odd thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Always notice the Brits always say "I've not had my tea yet". Whereas nearly everyone in Ireland would say "I haven't had my tea yet". Be interesting to know what thats about if someone could explain?

"I've not had" is a contraction of "I have not had".

"I haven't had" is a contraction of "I have not had".

Both are correct.

Advertisement