Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal words that the UK use but we don't

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm not losing it.
    It's gone.

Oh my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Toodle-oo is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

"Sat" as is "I was sat on my stool at the bar."

English use it a lot. We tend to say "sitting."

Edit: I missed the "formal" part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

The word Banter but we use Craic, I can’t stand people from Ireland using Banter, we’re having the craic not the banter or I was only having a bitta craic not a bitta banter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That's just normal speak for Ireland.

It might be normal for Jackeens who love to ape the language and mannerisms of their cousins over in places like London and Essex. It certainly isn’t a normal way of speaking for the True Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Sassenach have long used the word cheeky - ‘I went for a cheeky pint’ or ‘we had a cheeky takeaway on Tuesday’, or ‘I had a cheeky bet on the Grand National and didn’t tell the missus’. Dreadful.

Started to be used here I’ve noticed.

Previously unused English expressions often tend to creep over here if they're used prominently in tv or films. Pikey for instance, I never heard that used here till the film Snatch. Likewise ginger to describe a red haired person. It was always foxy over here when I was growing up. They even used the expression ginger in Bridget And Eamon even though no one ever used it here in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Previously unused English expressions often tend to creep over here if they're used prominently in tv or films. Pikey for instance, I never heard that used here till the film Snatch. Likewise ginger to describe a red haired prison. It was always foxy over here when I was growing up. They even used the expression ginger in Bridget And Eamon even though no one ever used it here in the 80s.

That’s a great point on the Bridget & Eamon show. Very true.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Previously unused English expressions often tend to creep over here if they're used prominently in tv or films. Pikey for instance, I never heard that used here till the film Snatch. Likewise ginger to describe a red haired person. It was always foxy over here when I was growing up. They even used the expression ginger in Bridget And Eamon even though no one ever used it here in the 80s.

I can't remember what red heads were referred to when I was growing up, bit it definitely wasn't foxy. The only person I've ever heard using that term is my sister-in-law. Might be a regional thing though, I'm from Dublin and she's from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Poorly instead of sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Shall. The English seem to use “shall” where would say “will”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

That's sick man innit *

I got caught out with that one years ago, didn't realise the poor lad meant good rather than bad.

* definitely not formal I'm guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I never heard the word "Pikey" when I was growing up in Manchester in the seventies; is it a London thing? The one I heard used most would have been "gyppo".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

BuboBubo wrote: »
    That's sick man innit *

I got caught out with that one years ago, didn't realise the poor lad meant good rather than bad.

* definitely not formal I'm guessing
    Yes, but now "bad" can mean "good". Ditto "wicked". Very confusing for a old stager like myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Furlough being the latest one...

Aren't we kind of doing that with the E350 payments etc?

Secondment another one. I have been seconded to work in the UK in summers past. Never hear the word used in Ireland.

Administration instead of liquidation. Loads more examples.

Maybe i'm adding 2+2 and getting 5 but the conspiracy nut in my head told me to write this thread.
    I have a secondment in my discipline this year to provide expert training in other areas of the field. I get additional salary benefits and somebody is hired in to replace me in my usual job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

"Sat" as is "I was sat on my stool at the bar."

English use it a lot. We tend to say "sitting."

We tend to say it because it's grammatically correct. Same with "I was just stood there". No, you were just standings there.

We referred to red haired people as being tongey. (ton gee) Or the person could be referred to a a tonge.

I don't recall if we used ginger or not.

These kind of threads always come up with people lamenting the creep of language.
    People saying that this world or that word are starting to be used in Ireland when, in my experience, some of these words are in common usage for 30 years or 40 years!

blueser wrote: »
    Yes, but now "bad" can mean "good". Ditto "wicked". Very confusing for a old stager like myself

This has been a thing since the 1980s
    Really.
    Not common in Ireland, though.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Allinall wrote: »
    As far as I know, administration in the Uk is the equivalent of receivership here, and Chapter Eleven in the US

Nah, examinership is the Irish equivalent of adminstration.

Receivership is similar to liquidation but involves a single secured creditor seizing a company's assets to pay off a debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

Brits tend to use the work 'overseas' for someone who is gone travelling abroad. Its used here in the media but I've never heard it in conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Allinall wrote: »
    As far as I know, administration in the Uk is the equivalent of receivership here, and Chapter Eleven in the US

equivalent of examinership here, receivership is the same in both jurisdictions.

Examinership = business suspended and they try to work out a plan to recover.

Liquidation = business finished and they sell off asset to recover maximum available.

Receivership = an asset (which was pledged as security for a loan) is taken over by a creditor to try and extract the value of the debt from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

arctictree wrote: »
    Brits tend to use the work 'overseas' for someone who is gone travelling abroad. Its used here in the media but I've never heard it in conversation.

Irish people use the term 'out foreign' when they are describing a holiday abroad.
    Never heard anyone in England use that term....

Zaph wrote: »
    I can't remember what red heads were referred to when I was growing up, bit it definitely wasn't foxy. The only person I've ever heard using that term is my sister-in-law. Might be a regional thing though, I'm from Dublin and she's from Cork.

OK, I'm from Cork so it must be regional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Stop instead of stay.

When I was going to north of England first:

HR boss: 'Where are you stopping when you get here?'
    Me: 'Eh, I'll be stopping in London for a a while' (for a flight transfer)
    HR boss: 'You're stopping in London??'

followed by 4-5 minutes of confusion

This has been a thing since the 1980s
    Really.
    Not common in Ireland, though.

An African American thing. First heard of it via Wacko Jacko album/song. It briefly became fashionable but didn't catch on here thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Pudding instead of dessert

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

British people tend to say ill or poorly, rather than sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Aren't we kind of doing that with the E350 payments etc?

Secondment another one. I have been seconded to work in the UK in summers past. Never hear the word used in Ireland.

Furlough is quite a different thing to the payment here. The payment here on the wage subsidy scheme can be made even if people are still working. If it's for someone out of work, it's claimed by the individual. People are furloughed in the UK and are still paid by the employer (given 80% by the government) but are not allowed to work at all. Nothing. The company forgo the government payment if they recall a person to work. An individual can not apply for a furlough payment if out of work.

Secondment is used a lot here. I was seconded to a different department when I was working back in 2009 and wasn't the first time I'd heard the phrase used in Ireland. It just might not be used a huge amount but depends on where you work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Administration instead of liquidation. Loads more examples.

AFAIK, furlough is American.

In the UK, isn't Administration the same as what we call Examinership?

Advertisement