Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal words that the UK use but we don't

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Administration and Liquidation are two different legal concepts. Administration is just rarer in ireland.

Isn't Administration "Examinership" here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Geuze wrote: »
    AFAIK, furlough is American.

Nope very much a European word that was mainly used in relation to army before hand. Used a lot in the UK during the 1st & 2nd world wars where soldiers were furloughed for a brief period and allowed to take care of personal business.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

When I worked in the UK everyone in my office called lunch time dinner time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Some of the language on this thread is disgraceful.

You wouldn't hear it out of some Black 'n Tan's bastard from the slums of Salford.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I'm still not used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nope very much a European word that was mainly used in relation to army before hand. Used a lot in the UK during the 1st & 2nd world wars where soldiers were furloughed for a brief period and allowed to take care of personal business.

Thanks, that's news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

'British Isles'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Up to 1970's in Cork many families used have their "dinner at lunchtime" as most mother's were not working outside the home. Tea-time was typically in the early evening and unlike the Americans, supper was before bedtime!

The term "semester" is one I do not recall being applied here in Ireland pre-90's although; I'm sure I recall Americans refer to it for as long as I can remember. I recall when most uni students in Ireland did not typically begin their new term lectures until October back in the day.

Footpath or path - used Ireland
    Pavement - term for footpath in UK
    Sidewalk - more commonly used in USA
    Bridle path - or bridleway, which is primarily a horse riding path

If a commercial business/enterprise got into serious financial difficulty, we tended to say "it's gone bust" and is being wound-up.

If there was still some hope in things being resolved in some way, it might continue to operate "as a going concern" for a certain period.

Never heard of the term "Furlough" until the current Covid-19 emergency:

Formally a furlough means a granted leave of absence. In this instance it has been advised to employers who want to still employ staff currently unable to work. It is something that employees can ask for, but it's up to employers to grant it.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1260699/martin-lewis-furlough-meaning-uk-pay-coronavirus

I've only heard of the below terms:

on a Sabbatical - taking a sabbatical = a career break
    Garden Leave - (e.g) an employee has handed in their notice and the firm does not want the employee to work their notice on the premises' so the employer may grant the employee "Garden Leave".
    Maternity Leave - female member of staff about to give birth is paid a certain amount while not in work for a defined period of time.
    Compassionate Leave - in special circumstances usually granted at the discretion of the company in question
    Paternity Leave - male member of staff assists after newborn baby arrives - has become more common in recent years.

Stop instead of stay.

When I was going to north of England first:

HR boss: 'Where are you stopping when you get here?'
    Me: 'Eh, I'll be stopping in London for a a while' (for a flight transfer)
    HR boss: 'You're stopping in London??'

followed by 4-5 minutes of confusion

That is a regional thing I believe. Someone from the south of England would share your confusion. IIRC, it is more of a Scottish term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Irish people tend to say small as a descriptor while the British tend to say little.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Eire
    Which is on both Irish Stamps and the Irish passport. Therefore, presumably, it has the seal of approval from the authorities here. So it doesn’t really fit the criteria of the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Brennans Bread have posters on bus shelters in Ireland about the perfect sambo

Apparently the Brits think sambo is racist :eek: bizarre

The poor Brits, I pity them for their lack of sambos washed down by a rock shandy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

blueser wrote: »
    Which is on both Irish Stamps and the Irish passport. Therefore, presumably, it has the seal of approval from the authorities here. So it doesn’t really fit the criteria of the thread title.

When you are speaking Irish you say Éire (with a fada).. they definitely aren't speaking Irish when they use it so they should say Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭blackbox

It's a fcuking chipper.
    Are you Protestant?

It's all about nationality, not religion. I was brought up Protestant in Ireland and it was always hot press and chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Wagwan

To answer the OP maybe it's just TV shows or maybe its real life too but there seems to be a lot of Jamican words used by the London yuff. Must be the cool thing fam

A lot of them couldn't point to Jamica on a map
    Up to 1970's in Cork many families used have their "dinner at lunchtime" as most mother's were not working outside the home.

Thats not gone. Dinner at midday is still used, mostly by farmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭She is d.i.s.c.o

They use the word grand as it's meant in the dictionary and not to mean ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Irish people say I haven't where as the UK say I've not.
    Also I wouldn't have vs I'd not have

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I was stood at the door,

I was sat on the floor.

And the floor means anywhere inside or outside aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Zaph wrote: »
    Spot the Protestant! :D

Those Protestants up to no good as usual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Born and bred in Ireland to Irish parents and I'd always use the word cupboard and never use the word press.
    Hot press is a magazine to me.
    I have an airing cupboard.

So, you fcuks off.

Prod

Prod

And probably puts the toaster in the press/cupboard also. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Really,always other round i found in Uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

A bold child is an Irish thing.

Bold means brave to the Brits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I was stood at the door,

I was sat on the floor.

And the floor means anywhere inside or outside aswell.

In Ireland we say I fell to the ground, UK they will say floor

To me I would say floor is inside the house or building, UK they call floor for outside and inside buildings??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Eire

lol Was in a post office in London to buy a stamp to post something back to Dublin , circa 2002, is that for Southern Ireland love, I replied, Republic of Ireland, Southern Ireland is a region not a country.

She had not a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Nope.
    Both parents Catholic.
    I don't have a religion.

Yes you do, your catholic too. Ask your parents.

kravmaga wrote: »
    In Ireland we say I fell to the ground, UK they will say floor

To me I would say floor is inside the house or building, UK they call floor for outside and inside buildings??

Yep, floor is outside or inside to them. It's just a difference in talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Using ‘pudding’ as a catch all word for desserts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Previously unused English expressions often tend to creep over here if they're used prominently in tv or films. Pikey for instance, I never heard that used here till the film Snatch. Likewise ginger to describe a red haired person. It was always foxy over here when I was growing up. They even used the expression ginger in Bridget And Eamon even though no one ever used it here in the 80s.

I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s and gingers were redheads. Never heard the word foxy, ever...it actually sounds like something the English would use. It’s certainly not a common irish term.

Advertisement