Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal words that the UK use but we don't

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's odd that it's called sliced pan but even more odd than an unsliced one isn't called just a 'pan'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

It's odd that it's called sliced pan but even more odd than an unsliced one isn't called just a 'pan'.

Yeah it is.
    Loaf gets swapped for pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

65535 wrote: »

Oh yeah. And it's creeping over here too. They aren't even consistent with it. If you're going to say "an historic.." why do yo not say "an history". ? You never see or hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Perhaps afternoon tea is more popular in the UK but as long as Ireland has had hotels, there's been afternoon tea.

Only in the Shelbourne probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s and gingers were redheads. Never heard the word foxy, ever...it actually sounds like something the English would use. It’s certainly not a common irish term.

I grew up in Co Kerry and foxy was the absolute term for a redhead. Makes sense too since a fox is that carroty/ginger colour.

People would also say 'pan' for basin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

English expats. Irish immigrants.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Brit would was "I was sat watching TV"

Irish would say "I was sitting watching TV"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

trashcan wrote: »
    Oh yeah. And it's creeping over here too. They aren't even consistent with it. If you're going to say "an historic.." why do yo not say "an history". ? You never see or hear that.
    I was born and brought up in England, and I'd never say "an historic". It just doesn't sound right to my ears, whether it is right or not. I was taught that "an" is (almost) exclusively used before words beginning with a vowel. The obvious exception that springs to mind would be words beginning with a silent 'h', like hour. Any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Americans pronounce EVERY leading H very strongly and then go out of their way to say "an (h)erb..." and "(h)erbs" and will correct you for saying it with a voice H.

few words that shriek British when used for me;

Galoshes instead of Wellies

Luncheon either as a noun or verb

Using ‘shall’ instead of will

Partake

An invitation for a spot of (luncheon/golf etc)

But shall and will are very different. Shall means it must be done. Will means you have chosen to do it. You have free will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Delph vs crockery.

No one in the UK uses the word delph, apart from some very very middle class people.

Who uses either?

A couple of pints

As in 'we'll go for a couple of pints' , they actually mean 2 pints not a heap :(

They don’t really have pubs though.

They don’t really have pubs though.

Ah the typical Irish snobbishness about English pubs coming out.
    I've been in both sh1t Irish pubs and great English ones and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

They’re much more formal, young people expected to address their elders as Mrs and Mr. Never really got used to the formality you’d experience fairly often there, never saw the point of it.
    In a lot of cases I think they liked Paddy because we were less formal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Outwith. As in the taxis are ' outwith' the train station

They’re much more formal, young people expected to address their elders as Mrs and Mr. Never really got used to the formality you’d experience fairly often there, never saw the point of it.
    In a lot of cases I think they liked Paddy because we were less formal.

Which period drama was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Renno, Perjo

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Esquire (or Esq) in a title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

But shall and will are very different. Shall means it must be done. Will means you have chosen to do it. You have free will
    This flies right over the heads of Irish people who think shall is just the posh will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My English wife has no problem understanding "to lodge a cheque" and insists that it's just how she always would have said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

**** for describing themselves accurately? Perhaps you are the wanker.

Moving to the UK from Ireland is not exactly migration. UK and Ireland allow their citizens to work and travel freely and seamlessly within each others borders - so much so that you are not even ID'd if you travel by ferry between UK/IRE. Claiming you are an 'immigrant' in that situation is odd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There used to be such a thing as a Cock Lodger when Ladies of a certain age ran boarding houses if thats any reason for the confusion ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Moving to the UK from Ireland is not exactly migration. UK and Ireland allow their citizens to work and travel freely and seamlessly within each others borders - so much so that you are not even ID'd if you travel by ferry between UK/IRE. Claiming you are an 'immigrant' in that situation is odd.

Keep telling yourself that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Immigrant :

noun
    noun: immigrant; plural noun: immigrants
    a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
    "they found it difficult to expel illegal immigrants"

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

A lot of the English seem to feel they are above emigration, always called or described as an “ex pat” even though they have no intention of returning home to “Blighty”.

This flies right over the heads of Irish people who think shall is just the posh will.

It’s a bit like “can” and “may”, which was explained to me as a seven year old at school. A bit of light corporal punishment helped seal the message..

Me (with hand up in class): “Please sir, can I go to the toilet?”

Teacher: “Yes. Of course”

I leave the room, have a pee, and return to my seat

Teacher: “Where have you been?”

Me (somewhat quizzically): “Er, to the toilet, sir”

Teacher: “And who gave you permission?”

Me (now perplexed and heading towards panic): “You did, sir”

Teacher: “No, I did not. You said, ‘Can I go the toilet”, to which I replied, ‘Yes’, because anyone can go to the toilet, because they are physically able to do it. But not everyone may go to the toilet, without asking permission first. Take this note to the Headmaster.”

Me: (Reaching for exercise book to shove down the back of trousers): “Gulp”

Never forgotten the difference.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Which period drama was this?

It’s a while ago for sure! Fifty two years since I went over and back more than 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It’s a bit like “can” and “may”, which was explained to me as a seven year old at school. A bit of light corporal punishment helped seal the message..

Me (with hand up in class): “Please sir, can I go to the toilet?”

Teacher: “Yes. Of course”

I leave the room, have a pee, and return to my seat

Teacher: “Where have you been?”

Me (somewhat quizzically): “Er, to the toilet, sir”

Teacher: “And who gave you permission?”

Me (now perplexed and heading towards panic): “You did, sir”

Teacher: “No, I did not. You said, ‘Can I go the toilet”, to which I replied, ‘Yes’, because anyone can go to the toilet, because they are physically able to do it. But not everyone may go to the toilet, without asking permission first. Take this note to the Headmaster.”

Me: (Reaching for exercise book to shove down the back of trousers): “Gulp”

Never forgotten the difference.....

uurgh what a knob of a teacher

Dr Devious wrote: »
    A lot of the English seem to feel they are above emigration, always called or described as an “ex pat” even though they have no intention of returning home to “Blighty”.

Irish don't use the word because they're not heading off on the steamer to Americay with a cardboard suitcase.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

lawred2 wrote: »
    uurgh what a knob of a teacher
    Funnily enough I remember some teacher using the same situation to explain similar , without the trip to the headmaster . National School and he was the headmaster. He used the situation to explain the carry on. No violence ensued that time anyway ! ! !

Perhaps its Teacher Training School ; Lesson 1.

Advertisement