Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭kg703

Did it say that when we signed up? Sounds awfully specific...

Its in pretty much most standard contracts for events, I work in events & we've been checking all of ours for our rights with lots of football clubs, ticket suppliers, events companies etc. Hard to find one that it isn't in! Anyone with a proper legal contracts will have force majeure in there.

In saying that - all bar one company are going to give us full refunds even though they are covered by contract and the one that isnt is a long term regular supplier who is giving us the money as 'credit' for future use.

I would hope you will all get your money back or they might offer you the booking for next year instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Am gutted but truthfully don't see this going ahead this year. If Harris says social distancing will be the norm until a vaccine then I doubt events or concerts will be allowed run.

Hopefully I'm wrong but if not will be sad to miss it this year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

https://nialler9.com/fight-like-apes-share-three-unreleased-tunes/?fbclid=IwAR1-4isxZn2hq5sTpdHLMLpMnuwP3UEbZvQZ5r8-KSeR516qBmBIUaQuY6Y

If these guys could be persuaded to have a one off reunion gig, would be a savage gig for one of the summer festivals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Reserving the right and actually implementing that right are not the same thing.

Taking 50% of people's money for a service that was not delivered would be very scummy behaviour IMHO.

Some peoples (above noted) reaction regards hounding companies for refunds amazes me. After the pandemic is over do people want to come back to a world where there are no longer music festivals running here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

showpony1 wrote: »
    Some peoples (above noted) reaction regards hounding companies for refunds amazes me. After the pandemic is over do people want to come back to a world where there are no longer music festivals running here?

I get your point, but working on averages, one in four people on here may have lost their job in the last few weeks. It does tend to alter a person#s priorities. What you are asking is that people are willing to grant a company a 18 month to 24 month loan, interest free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Wooderson

You think Livenation is gonna go broke?

Wooderson wrote: »
    You think Livenation is gonna go broke?

In fairness, ATN is not run by LiveNation. Its promoter has had well reported financial issues in the last number of years that do not provide a great entry point into this crisis.

I have big sympathy for POD but i dont think that the point above was fair to people who may well need their money back too.

As a side point. Live Nation has just had its entire business ripped away with no end in sight for the next year possibly. They will have loans, they may have covenants on those loans. Their model, like many others, is unlikely to be pandemic proof. If insurers are genuinely able to say, 'sorry, act of God' then i wouldnt be surprised if plenty of companies the size of LiveNation go to the wall. The crash should have shown us that there is no such thing as too big to fail.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

In fairness, ATN is not run by LiveNation. Its promoter has had well reported financial issues in the last number of years that do not provide a great entry point into this crisis.

I have big sympathy for POD but i dont think that the point above was fair to people who may well need their money back too.

As a side point. Live Nation has just had its entire business ripped away with no end in sight for the next year possibly. They will have loans, they may have covenants on those loans. Their model, like many others, is unlikely to be pandemic proof. If insurers are genuinely able to say, 'sorry, act of God' then i wouldnt be surprised if plenty of companies the size of LiveNation go to the wall. The crash should have shown us that there is no such thing as too big to fail.

Yeah true. For example, one of those Irish singers from a boyband had an article in RTE a few days ago about how he was gutted to let 100 people go, because he cancelled his tour. The amount of people who work in the live music industry is incredible. We sometimes think about how X band gets €500k for a gig, but in reality they have loads of people working for them.

All those jobs are suddenly gone, and most contracts in the entertainment industry can be cancelled just like that.

I suppose my preferences are:
    1) ATN goes ahead;
    2) ATN doesn't go ahead, but tickets are good for next year;
    3) ATN doesn't go ahead and we dont get refunds, but it will still be there next year;
    4) POD productions goes under, no refunds, no more gigs.

Hopefully it's 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

You will get a refund if it is cancelled, it won't be going ahead. Non of the festivals will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

I get your point, but working on averages, one in four people on here may have lost their job in the last few weeks. It does tend to alter a person#s priorities. What you are asking is that people are willing to grant a company a 18 month to 24 month loan, interest free.

I think you'd treat money already paid and uncertain of when/if will be received back differently to a "loan". The tone of the posts are more along the lines of "they better not think of not refunding us" - than people in need. Sad to see.

• Advertisement

I think you'd treat money already paid and uncertain of when/if will be received back differently to a "loan". The tone of the posts are more along the lines of "they better not think of not refunding us" - than people in need. Sad to see.

You dont know the motivations or the circumstances. The money is absolutely a loan. Ticket sales are so far in advance now, that companies have significant benefit from advance sales. In this case the advance will be 18 months at a time when Cash will be King. People have a right to be concerned because it is clear from the behaviour of a number of outlets including TM, Aer Lingus and others that they are going to do their damndest to hold onto cash - who can blame them. Who can honestly blame the punter for being aware that this may happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Not our problem really, business is risky, asking us to cover their losses for the year now in these circumstances (however unfortunate) is equivalent for us asking for a profit share during the boom times.

Suffering losses? Keep our money. Doing great? Keep our money.
    The world doesn't work like that, sorry.

No service delivered, in all fairness people can expect a refund. They absolutely have my sympathy and I hope they pull through but it's a risk of doing business.

They should actually incentivise people to opt for deferring to next years event over a refund in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not our problem really, business is risky, asking us to cover their losses for the year now in these circumstances (however unfortunate) is equivalent for us asking for a profit share during the boom times.

Suffering losses? Keep our money. Doing great? Keep our money.
    The world doesn't work like that, sorry.

No service delivered, in all fairness people can expect a refund. They absolutely have my sympathy and I hope they pull through but it's a risk of doing business.

They should actually incentivise people to opt for deferring to next years event over a refund in some way.

It Takes a Village did something like that I think. Had option to defer tickets to next year and treated all those tickets as early birds so will give a discount back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Bluedot festival in England (comparable size to ATN) postponed until next year. All tickets valid for next year and their main headliners have signed up to it already.
    Hopefully, imo, thats what will happen to ATN

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Two days of the festival are in August...glass half (or two thirds) full, if you like :)

Clutching....

Two days of the festival are in August...glass half (or two thirds) full, if you like :)

Clutching....

Yeah it's been edited from August to August or September. And with ATN capacity 20 odd thousand it's not looking good unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

"All mass gathering will be banned until the autumn, August or September, under plans set to be announced by the Government due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis. It is understood this will apply to gatherings of 5000 people or more. "

ATN definitely off, I'd imagine it'll extend to Sept to cover EP/All-Ireland finals too.

"All mass gathering will be banned until the autumn, August or September, under plans set to be announced by the Government due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis. It is understood this will apply to gatherings of 5000 people or more. "

ATN definitely off, I'd imagine it'll extend to Sept to cover EP/All-Ireland finals too.

Yeah Fiach Kelly who wrote article was on Rte radio 1 there. Said authorities wont consider any licences for applications for any events before 31st August with more than 5,000 attendees. Cant see how EP could go ahead a few days later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Government have just issued the following Press Release on Mass Gatherings:

All Mass Gatherings have been restricted since the March 24th.

Further health advice will be updated in advance of May 5th.

However, there are a number of largescale future events which require licensing and the involvement of the HSE and Garda Síochána, and public consultation in that licensing process which fall to be determined in advance of that by local authorities.

While the issue of restrictions on future mass gatherings is a decision to be taken by the NPHET, in the case of these particular events, and taking account of the impacts on the integrity of the licensing process in the short-term due to restrictions on stakeholder involvement, local authorities have been advised by Government that event promoters should be informed that events requiring licences in excess of 5,000 will not be considered for the period up to the end of August.

This will be kept under review in line with NPHET advices on mass gatherings more generally.

No ATN this year lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone been in contact re return? I was on the instalment payment so they have my details

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah Fiach Kelly who wrote article was on Rte radio 1 there. Said authorities wont consider any licences for applications for any events before 31st August with more than 5,000 attendees. Cant see how EP could go ahead a few days later

...a big dirty nail through its heart...

yournerd wrote: »
    Anyone been in contact re return? I was on the instalment payment so they have my details

Say should hear within a few days. Probably only finding out now too and will probably get formal notice from local authorities in writing. Then will take a while to refund everyone. So maybe closer to end of month/start of next month

Eod100 wrote: »

If everyone stays quiet, maybe they won't notice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

yournerd wrote: »

Give them a few mins to get their heads around it i'd say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭RINO87

I wonder how many tickets are sold? Would it be feasible to have a small festival of Irish acts just to keep some sort of cash coming in?
    I think a lot of people would jump at the idea of getting to any sort of festival this summer, whatever music or facilities are on offer!!

*provided the virus is under control etc etc

RINO87 wrote: »
    I wonder how many tickets are sold? Would it be feasible to have a small festival of Irish acts just to keep some sort of cash coming in?
    I think a lot of people would jump at the idea of getting to any sort of festival this summer, whatever music or facilities are on offer!!

*provided the virus is under control etc etc

I think government is basically giving notice that events of over 5,000 won't go ahead. I don't think it necessarily means that concerts with less than 5,000 will be able to go ahead anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Being reported now that Govt. wont give licenses to any event with over 5,000 people that is to take place before end of August.

ATN is definitely over for this year.

https://beat102103.com/covid-19/major-events-put-in-doubt-after-government-announcement/

If everyone stays quiet, maybe they won't notice

Ha if only! Apparently might be until end of September now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭RINO87

Now that I think about it, have government really shafted the promoters and handed insurance companies a get out of jail free card by making it a licence issue??
    Technically they have not cancelled the event, the event just won't get a licence to proceed....
    If you fail to get a licence isn't the onus on the promoters??

Advertisement