Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can anyone see restrictions being lifted in 3 weeks time?

No chance whatsoever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

RasTa wrote: »
    ''The men, aged 40-50, and women, aged 23-25, were refused permission to enter France and ordered by police to fly back to the UK''
    '' several nationalities including Croatian, German, French, Romanian and Ukrainian''
    ''“They tried to make use of their connections and made a few phone calls, as to continue their joureny” the source said.''

Glad they got some publicity . Should be named, just for their stupidity, sometimes what'd legal is not morally correct

I can almost hear how the conversation went: "But... Do you KNOW who I AM?!?" "No, I don't. But I know WHAT you are! Go away!".
    owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm reading another forum with people saying they have had corona like symptoms for over a month. They feel OK for now but even going back to work leads into a bout of exhaustion. It's an English forum. They haven't been tested but they think it is corona.

That's not right. Exhaustion a month after symptoms appear.

They will be many employers up and down the country dying of heart attacks in their beds with the idea of allowing staff of sick for a few weeks.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome can last years, and it's often brought on by a viral infection. Fatigue for a month after a "normal flu" wouldn't be that uncommon, either.
    Gael23 wrote: »
    Thats too much. People wont take it lying down

They will lie down alright when they find themselves (if they're lucky enough to be admitted) in a hospital bed.

From the 14th of February.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3876197

The truth is that we still don't know enough about this virus and how it behaves, and we should be considering every possibility. Discarding something "because it usually doesn't happen with this kind of virus" is very dangerous. Nobody had ever voluntarily hit and brought down a skyscraper with a plane before the Twin Towers happened, but then it did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seriously, this will ruin us economically. There has to be some easing. I don't see pubs or nightclubs opening again but surely some other shops and businesses has to open with restrictions in place.

If everyone does what we have been asked to do for us and our families then hopefully we will. If however people go mad this weekend and go to places that are closed and show a lack of understanding/or being a me feinner than maybe not.

Edit: just to be clear I'm not saying that all the restrictions will be lifted all at once but hopefully(I'm trying to optimistic) there will be some easing of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone have a time for the DOH press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Probably 6th May more stores will open with strict distancing.

Group gatherings of 5 people will be allowed with strict social distancing.

That's all theyll give us until June.

But at least will be able to get out and sit in a cafe or go into town.

Problem is public transport now has a capacity of about 20% it used to due to social distancing, I cannot see how they can unravel that for at least 6 months. So WFH arrangements for most staff will stay in place for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

George going off on one he said earlier the german numbers came in LAST NIGHT how the hell can they add those numbers in to the irish numbers from the AFTERNOON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Seriously, this will ruin us economically. There has to be some easing. I don't see pubs or nightclubs opening again but surely some other shops and businesses has to open with restrictions in place.

The only positive is that the whole world is in the same situation so debtors / creditors all in same boat. (With a roof box and caravan in tow)

As horrible as this is I can’t see it being lifted. Especially with us importing potential cases every day.

I imagine there will be serious 4 week eu mandated lockdown to occur across the continent or else just let it run its course. No good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Probably 6th May more stores will open with strict distancing.

Group gatherings of 5 people will be allowed with strict social distancing.

That's all theyll give us until June.

But at least will be able to get out and sit in a cafe or go into town.

Problem is public transport now has a capacity of about 20% it used to due to social distancing, I cannot see how they can unravel that for at least 6 months. So WFH arrangements for most staff will stay in place for a long time.

Do you happen to know next week's winning lotto numbers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Shn99 wrote: »

jesus christ how difficult is it for people to understand that there is a cut off point for the numbers. I know in the early days of the updates the figures were until lunch Time that day. so if the numbers were to come in past the cut-off point they will be included in the next days. Not that confusing George.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Why?
    Profit before people?

An increasing number of "experts" are arguing that a sustained lockdown and associated economic devastation will cause more health and mortality damage in the long-run than the coronavirus itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

sideswipe wrote: »
    Slowly the magnitude of the entire planets situation dawns. It’s almost too immense to fathom where we are right now having only previously glimpse it through the lens of a Hollywood movie.
    Everything has changed. I Brought supplies to my elderly dad today and he insisted on telling me where his house deeds were as well as some money he’d kept for emergencies. He had a sadness in his eyes I’d never seen before and I shed tears for probably the first time in my adult life.

Made me shed a tear too. Sounds like you have a great dad. Worried as he is, he is thinking of you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Why?
    Profit before people?

That has never been my thinking with this virus. But things has to eventually open up. It's a hard to thing to balance and I don't have the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Anyone have a time for the DOH press conference?

I know it’s like a mystery every evening what time it starts. Surely it can be set out early in the morning.

Tippex wrote: »
    jesus christ how difficult is it for people to understand that there is a cut off point for the numbers. I know in the early days of the updates the figures were until lunch Time that day. so if the numbers were to come in past the sut-off point they will be included in the next days. Not that confusing George.

Actually it will also be useful to give people a jolt in to the weekend if the figure is in excess of 1,000 new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's going to ruin the whole world economically. European central bank will have to carry the burden for all of Europe otherwise the european project is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Latest announcement re infection and death rates should be soon, I'd imagine

I know it’s like a mystery every evening what time it starts. Surely it can be set out early in the morning.

Fergal Bowers normally says it on Twitter.

I think Dr Tony gets grumpy though if he has to do two in a day so might be later.

Actually it will also be useful to give people a jolt in to the weekend if the figure is in excess of 1,000 new cases.

In fairness pal it won't make a jot of difference to the self entitled brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

100% if the numbers do end up being close to 1k today it should be an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Restrictions will not be lifted all at once and I think Leo even said that. In 3 weeks it will be easing of restriction or a week or 2 week basis. As you say pubs nightclub and 2 meters apart will be the last to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just as dubious as people who set themselves up as the experts they clearly are not. Some people have been home-schooled better by the internet than others on all of this! Sweeping claims about those managing the crisis should be open to challenge.

So you’ll do a better job than that guy? There is clear pattern of any dissent being countered with
    “Well there are mainly doctors and Irish citizens moving back to Ireland” without any basis in fact

Why not ban tourism during the lockdown? Simple question. I’m not allowed to go outside my house unless for exercise, food or medicine.

Why the hell would I comply when anyone with enough money for a ferry ticket can pop over for a break and enjoy the weather?

That deserves enquiry. It is not a sweeping claim. I’m asking a question. Please answer for your pay masters if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Shn99 wrote: »

Obviously 900 cases sounds worse than 500 cases. The numbers can't be trusted.

The German cases were a backlog anyways. Over 400 people who were positive and didn't know it. But far more dangerous is no contact tracing was done on positives from that backlog. I can only imagine how many hundreds if not thousands were infected from this backlog alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Up until now I have been prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt and support them, but the HSE and the government are reduced to spoofing. You cannot believe a word from the press conferences. They have orchestrated this like a confidence trickster; reducing everything to a binary choice, support the lockdown or kill your granny. And when the dust has settled we will have a redress scheme for the unnecessary deaths in the nursing homes - there should be manslaughter charges, but this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tippex wrote: »
    100% if the numbers do end up being close to 1k today it should be an eye opener.

I should be an eye opener but we have people going to holiday homes this week as if nothing is happening sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That has never been my thinking with this virus. But things has to eventually open up. It's a hard to thing to balance and I don't have the answers.

I am sure they do, and they will, when it is deemed appropriate and safe by those who make the decisions. But withing seconds of the extension being announced, because of the continued and maybe even increased uncertainty, people here are stating how and when we are going to come out of it.

Of course we are going to come out of it but right now, no one knows how or when and speculation is not helpful.

As the old song once said 'One day at a time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Beasty wrote: »
    Why could they not simply say what they could do in the first place. They were not even caveating the figures they were throwing out a few weeks ago. All they had to do was say, we can take 1,500 swabs a day and hope to increase that to 5,000 or whatever, and we can deliver 750 test results a day, but hope to increase that to 2,000 (as they still seem to be struggling to get that many). That avoids a backlash in places like this.

Consistently they have been using terminology that leave them wiggle room, but it comes across as almost deception. All they have to do is be honest. If they can't produce the information, say so, and say what they hope to do to address it (if anything)
    donfers wrote: »
    An increasing number of "experts" are arguing that a sustained lockdown and associated economic devastation will cause more health and mortality damage in the long-run than the coronavirus itself

Can you point me to such experts? Id like to read up on the counter argument

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

spookwoman wrote: »
    George going off on one he said earlier the german numbers came in LAST NIGHT how the hell can they add those numbers in to the irish numbers from the AFTERNOON

I dont think George is the only one confused by the numbers.My head is wrecked from trying to figure out what way they have included the German figures.

The only updated figure I can glean is the ECDC has our number of cases 819 higher than our figure given at last nights briefing.It will be interesting to see how high the increase in our briefing is this evening and if it bringing us in line with the ECDC figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I love how some people(thankfully a very small number) here trash the health service and most things in this country but when they themselves need those services they can't say enough good about them.

The good they say is directed towards the overworked nurses and doctors. Not the shambles of a health service.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Slowly the magnitude of the entire planets situation dawns. It’s almost too immense to fathom where we are right now having only previously glimpse it through the lens of a Hollywood movie.
    Everything has changed. I Brought supplies to my elderly dad today and he insisted on telling me where his house deeds were as well as some money he’d kept for emergencies. He had a sadness in his eyes I’d never seen before and I shed tears for probably the first time in my adult life.

I'm so sorry to hear that, honestly.

I get emotional when i deliver food to my own parents every week and all i can do is see them through the sliding door glass. They look all at sea and lost and they miss their grandkids desperately. Never thought i'd see times like this. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I don’t mind the extension to May 5th but at least open the hardware stores so we can at least renovate while stuck at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement