Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No-one buys the repatriation stuff anymore. If they are coming from a hotspot they should stay put. They had ample time to come home. There is a good chance many coming are British holiday makers.

There is also a good chance they are going into the community. A very god chance.

Nobody buys it anymore, you mean you dont, even though theres Irish citizens being brought home from India amongst other counties up until 2 days ago and still coming. Look up the department of foreign affairs if you want.

I personally know of an aer lingus flight from london that had a grand total of 4 people on it and all 4 were medical staff coming home. That flight came in yesterday. No British holiday makers.

You've absolutely nothing to back up your tinfoil hat theories

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭boardise

froog wrote: »
    what is he saying? I don't speak irish

It's a pointless duplication and waste of time. Nothing being said that wasn't already stated in English.
    Some woman at the end asked him a question which introduced no new angle so yer man just rambles on (in really poor quality Gaelic ) -effectively saying the same thing for the 3rd time.
    [ Chaoin Íosa :D]
    Proper way to do it would be for the Gaelic spiel to go out on T na G -without subtitles If there's a genuine body of Gaelic speakers who want/need this -they would get it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That isn't happening.

According the residents of Rosslare it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

chakademus wrote: »
    Will the kids go back to school before September?

Not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

We're all in the same boat except for those coming in on the Boats from the UK and going wherever the hell they want....

They’ll also be some idiots. I don’t know why they’re allowed in. People should be absolutely interrogated if they’re getting on a ferry to another country during a pandemic. If not satisfied with their reason for coming here, don’t allow them in and give them a nice fine, put the money from the fine towards a bonus for the healthcare staff or more PPE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Unfortunately, I don’t think that there was any other option. The hospitals are starting to fill up. Imagine the indignation if they relaxed the social restrictions, and we had a huge wave of corona viruses and a resulting overwhelmed health-service (people would be on Boards blaming the government for the lack of critical care beds for their loved-ones). If we ended this now, our efforts for the preceding weeks would have been futile.

Of course I want to go back to normal life, but I don’t want people to die unnecessarily

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 55,108 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They spoke in English for abut 30 minutes, did you just tune in?

We know this.

The last question and answer was a good 5 minutes in Irish..

We want to know what was said, as I am sure 98 percent or so do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Well that's just silly sorry.

No it is not.

The ignorance shown towards the national language is startling at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

screamer wrote: »
    Not a hope

Nope, as a teacher we’ve already been instructed to continue with online education after Easter until further notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

British holiday makers? When the entire country is on lockdown and there is literally nothing to do? I'm afraid you are grasping at straws, tobefrank321!

So if no one is travelling why not ban cars? People have had ample time to get to their holiday home or decide which side of the snot green sea they want to be on during the pandemic.

If no one is travelling then it would make no difference?

Money money money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ok I withdraw those comments and will delete the posts. They were uncalled for.

I'm deeply cynical everytime Varadkar opens his mouth these days as nonsense just flows out.

I suppose the cynicism got the better of me around the whole press conference.

Take a deep breath. There are deaf people in this country and they are deserving of this information like everyone else. Leo and co. might not completely stick to the script hence why signers are needed rather than subtitles.

Maybe take a step back and think about your motives here if you are so petty as to question the presence of sign language practitioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Please be civil. Don’t tell me to give it a rest. I have just used the inverse of the same statistic .

It’s people like you who........not arsed. :)

I'm being extremely civil, you've used a snapshot of a total for a year and not a particular time.

It's people like me who... are voltunterting their time to help. So please do continue

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

No-one buys the repatriation stuff anymore. If they are coming from a hotspot they should stay put. They had ample time to come home. There is a good chance many coming are British holiday makers.

There is also a good chance they are going into the community. A very good chance.

As for someone flying into the airport how do you think they go home? In a sealed box? They get a lift from someone in a car or else by bus. This is what going into the community means.

Rent a car companies are doing non contactless prick up off cars from dublin airport - don’t even have to talk to anyone.

As for people coming home - there are people who planned to move back home for good and things take time to organise - for instance if your have a pet - it takes time to get documents in place.

Maybe some people were tying to organise their affairs before returning to ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Probably not. Maybe next year is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Proof?

Have you visited to check they are in isolation? Have the gardai or HSE?

You ask me for proof yet you are repeating something that has been shown to be false. Where is your proof that there are loads of people from Britain coming here on a ferry ?

Nobody buys it anymore, you mean you dont, even though theres Irish citizens being brought home from India amongst other counties up until 2 days ago and still coming. Look up the department of foreign affairs if you want.

I personally know of an aer lingus flight from london that had a grand total of 4 people on it and all 4 were medical staff coming home. That flight came in yesterday. No British holiday makers.

You've absolutely nothing to back up your tinfoil hat theories

I personally know a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

sonic85 wrote: »
    Is there anybody actually delighted with the lockdown? I'm not a very social person so staying in or around the house doesn't bother me that much but there are still places I want to go and things I want to do. This whole thing is a pain in the hole really but its necessary. It's hard to believe there might be people out there that are delighted with restrictions
    I think a number of anxious people or people who would be at risk are relieved, some too would prefer even more restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,108 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No it is not.

The ignorance shown towards the national language is startling at times.

Go way ouha that. I am as Irish as anyone, and this flogging a completely dead language is bordering on ludicrous..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

We can't even manage the large number of covid cases we have. Most people with symptons aren't even being tested .

But hey lets import some more cases from the US and UK.

No hope now of the lockdown being lifted until we get a vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

I just read online 1169 new cases for Ireland and 28 deaths for today......
    lookup ecdc.europa.eu for details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Imagine everything going on in the world right now and you're giving out about 2 people doing sign language rather than one. :pac::pac::pac:

Having a bad day until I seen this
    I mean everyone seems to be getting it in the neck as people are so angry. Its not unusual to come on here and see people raging at joggers, people going to the shops etc. But I do have to laugh that the new target is....the deaf!!!

I for one did not see that coming. Oh boards, always full of surprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

I'd say Primary is done. Maybe they could get back for the last two or three weeks of June. Unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Nope, as a teacher we’ve already been instructed to continue with online education after Easter until further notice.

Are you primary or secondary if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

We can't even manage the large number of covid cases we have. People with symptons aren't being tested.

But hey lets import some more cases from the US and UK.

We aren't importing them. Why are you doing this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,737 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this true?

There is also a good chance they are going into the community. A very good chance.

As for someone flying into the airport how do you think they go home? In a sealed box? They get a lift from someone in a car or else by bus. This is what going into the community means.

Im sure there are thousands of people all over the world who are itching to get to Ireland and sit indoors for the next three weeks

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Rent a car companies are doing non contactless prick up off cars from dublin airport - don’t even have to talk to anyone.

As for people coming home - there are people who planned to move back home for good and things take time to organise - for instance if your have a pet - it takes time to get documents in place.

Maybe some people were tying to organise their affairs before returning to ireland.

And maybe someone’s goldfish died.

Point is it’s just speculation. Irish citizens returning cannot legally be stopped. So a ban would only affect those who are making a break for it. If I were living in UK I would have been home on the boat weeks ago. 28 days later style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 10 April 2020 @ 08:00 hrs.

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-10.png?itok=Z2Zn3vfG

Disappointing results for the daily cases in Europe today.

And Ireland's 500 cases visible between Germany and Italy. :(

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Link?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement