Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

chakademus wrote: »
    Will the kids go back to school before September?

Not a chance except Leaving Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

froog wrote: »
    they understood, trust me.

They probably didn’t just as you don’t understand Irish. Not that hard to understand really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Whatever their motives for coming here it invalidates the lockdown. Italian flight situation all over again.

You think some people would learn?

Lockdown until vaccine it is so.

Grand, yes, we all agree, you are right, everyone else is wrong, we're not worthy of your infinite wisdom.

Can you give it a rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

most irish people cannot understand it at a level required to follow what was being said there. that's just a fact. this is a press conference on a serious global health emergency. not the time for gaelgoirs to try and promote the language.

It's disrespectful to the large majority on this Island, who cannot understand it...

In the wider context, I've always found it's used by some in this country to look down their nose at others... like you're not a real Irishman/woman if you don't have a grasp of this ancient dead/dying language!

And what happened to the legal requirement to provide things in BOTH English and Irish? I guess that only applies in one direction? I've seen Irish creeping onto documents too, with no English translation next to it... done in a sly sort of way!

English is the main language of this country. It's way ahead of Irish in level of importance and relevance, purely because it's spoken by everyone.... only a tiny minority can speak the ancient dead/dying language of our ancestors fluently!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Whatever their motives for coming here it invalidates the lockdown. Italian flight situation all over again.

you can run the HSE and the government better then I take it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

We've missed the boat on that (no pun intended). People calling for a border lockdown with only freight allowed move where called racists a few weeks back.

We could have a limited functioning economy today if that was implemented now it's collapsed completely.

But yeah racism something something.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Maybe people look at the facts and understand that lesser restrictions will be coming soon. Look at Austria. You can guarantee people won't accept not seeing family for 6+ months indefinitely. Why are you so happy to stay indoors? Maybe you enjoy it but many don't.

No I love outdoors but I also know if I was to be a selfish **** right now I might kill people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

only a tiny minority can speak the ancient dead/dying language of our ancestors fluently!

Still sour over that D3 at ordinary level, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

BanditLuke wrote: »
    We've missed the boat on that (no pun intended). People calling for a border lockdown with only freight allowed move where called racists a few weeks back.

We could have a limited functioning economy today if that was implemented now it's collapsed completely.

But yeah racism something something.

So you'll be the next minister for foreign affairs or Taoiseach then Luke ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Slowly the magnitude of the entire planets situation dawns. It’s almost too immense to fathom where we are right now having only previously glimpse it through the lens of a Hollywood movie.
    Everything has changed. I Brought supplies to my elderly dad today and he insisted on telling me where his house deeds were as well as some money he’d kept for emergencies. He had a sadness in his eyes I’d never seen before and I shed tears for probably the first time in my adult life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Guy Person wrote: »
    There are now officially over 100,000 people dead from this worldwide. Such an unbearably grim and depressing statistic. Just horrible. I just want to get into bed for the next three weeks.

I want to hide away for the next two years because this is it for the future until they figure out how this virus works and bring out a cure or vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

How do I not get that they have to isolate ?? I know they do, they're all in hotel rooms near the airport and have applications done and will work on the frontline in 2 weeks time.

What I post is what's been said at the press conferences and what I personally know so that's not dangerous. What you post is pure conspiracy theories, where are you backing up your brits on holiday claim ??

There you go with the conspiracy theory nonsense again.

You've told us about 4 medics.

Now can you tell us about every single passenger that has come here from the UK and US in the last month. Not some, not 4. Everyone. Where are they coming from. Are they positive or negative. Are they asymptomatic. How are they getting home from the airport. Have they shared a car with someone. Did they stop somewhere. Are they sharing a small apartment where isolation is impossible. Are they on holidays and couldn't give a damn about isolating.

Off you go, the floor is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭boardise

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Not rubbish.
    I spent a month on Inis meain and a few of the locals didn’t have much English. I knew a family and the grandfather was constantly lost for words in English, he spoke very basic English and his grandson used to translate for him. The grandson had much better Irish than English also.

I doubt many oldsters on Inis Maáin would understand Donegal Gaelic in any form let alone a grammatically garbled learner's version.

Plus I suggest any youngster in Ireland who has 'much better Irish' than English could be looking at a rather restricted menu of future options considering how poor the general standard of Gaelic is nowadays in those remnants of the 'Gaeltacht' that survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So you'll be the next minister for foreign affairs or Taoiseach then Luke ?

Stop replying to anybody who writes a statement,
    “And you’ll be the next prime minister , nurse , epidemiologist , taxi driver .. . “

Get a new form of degrading someone . It’s getting boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 White_hills

Not rubbish. My husband met people in the Gaeltacht who didn't understand English.

Did you think that perhaps they just wouldn't speak English to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Shn99 wrote: »

I'd imagine they will be included today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

They will read the answers in English

They will read the answers in Irish

You listen to whichever one you like

The people who can’t grasp this simple thing are surely dangers to society in times of a pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

At €15bn+ a quarter that will be a whole lot of money for the great-grandkids to pay off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

skallywag wrote: »
    Still sour over that D3 at ordinary level, eh?

I’d say they are. Could have so many uses for it day to day had they got an A. That 5 minutes of press conference being one. Getting a grant to go to university and contribute nothing to the actual economy being another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    you can run the HSE and the government better then I take it ?

If you mean by not running the complete sh1tshow it is now, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

they understood, trust me.

Unless you know all the people (and you don't), you can't know this.

“And you’ll be the next prime minister , nurse , epidemiologist , taxi driver .. . “

It's not degrading at all. I'm just sick of posters here claiming that the whole operation was a mess and they claim to have all the solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

sideswipe wrote: »
    Slowly the magnitude of the entire planets situation dawns. It’s almost too immense to fathom where we are right now having only previously glimpse it through the lens of a Hollywood movie.
    Everything has changed. I Brought supplies to my elderly dad today and he insisted on telling me where his house deeds were as well as some money he’d kept for emergencies. He had a sadness in his eyes I’d never seen before and I shed tears for probably the first time in my adult life.

Sorry to hear this. You described it so well I could see the situation vividly

Have you explained to him about the mortality rate of it? (0.5 to 2% so far, depending on the source you read)

Obviously it's a different % for his demographic, but reminding myself of the low mortality rate of this is the only thing that stops me from properly losing my mind some days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Okay, obvious troll is obvious now. :D Well, it's been obvious for a while, to be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can anyone see restrictions being lifted in 3 weeks time?

Seriously, this will ruin us economically. There has to be some easing. I don't see pubs or nightclubs opening again but surely some other shops and businesses has to open with restrictions in place.

I love how some people(thankfully a very small number) here trash the health service and most things in this country but when they themselves need those services they can't say enough good about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just as dubious as people who set themselves up as the experts they clearly are not. Some people have been home-schooled better by the internet than others on all of this! Sweeping claims about those managing the crisis should be open to challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Can anyone see restrictions being lifted in 3 weeks time?

Seriously, this will ruin us economically. There has to be some easing. I don't see pubs or nightclubs opening again but surely some other shops and businesses has to open with restrictions in place.

Why?
    Profit before people?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement