Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

devnull wrote: »
    Which is a sign that there is some distance before the peak then since that I believe is by far the largest number of cases in a single reporting period?

You'd have to factor in ICU/ventilator/staff availability as 50% of people in ICE with Covid-19 will die. The probability is that availability will decrease further. Regardless, if infection rates increase there will be a commensurate increase in deaths in approximately 18 days time. So the peak for deaths is about 18 days away at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Latest UK Update
    New Cases: 5903
    Total Cases: 47806
    Newly Confirmed Deaths in Hospital: 619

That new cases stat is huge which is likely to lead to a spike in deaths in coming days I would have thought.

Bearing in mind Sunday death figures are normally understated as well, these are bad figures.

Where are the facts to show Sunday figures are understated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Happy4all wrote: »
    Where are the facts to show Sunday figures are understated?

Post #1945.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Once people are following the guidelines, there's no issue at all. Several reports suggesting breaches - and need i remind again about building sites which, inexplicably, is within the guidelines.

But say you have a trail and a few hundred people decide every day what harm if i go and take a stroll there. That's hundreds of people potentially coughing, sneezing, touching railings, gates and other barriers. You start making exceptions and you're redefining the line all the time.
    That's my thoughts too. Once you change the instructions from "Stay at home except for vital journeys" to "Stay at home, unless you decide that it's OK to go out", you may as well have no restrictions at all.

It's like the "enormous traffic caused by everyone leaving ten minutes early to beat the traffic" phenomenon. If everyone thinks a place will be deserted, they'll all go there....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That's my thoughts too. Once you change the instructions from "Stay at home except for vital journeys" to "Stay at home, unless you decide that it's OK to go out", you may as well have no restrictions at all.

It's like the "enormous traffic caused by everyone leaving ten minutes early to beat the traffic" phenomenon. If everyone thinks a place will be deserted, they'll all go there....

Afaik, the UK doesnt have a 2km limit that we do. I cant see why. So i keep seeing people say its ok to drive so many miles to find a place they can exercise. It shouldn't be. I thought driving was only for essential business, but then exercise is deemed essential, i guess. That just seems confusing and with Ma'am giving her speech later and new directives coming, i think they'll close those loopholes definitively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

The UK's numbers have been pretty bad but can we go back to the point 5-6 days ago where people were saying the UK deaths would reach 10k within the week?

The UKs numbers are bad enough without these crazy predictions. Can we stop giving them merit in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Afaik, the UK doesnt have a 2km limit that we do. I cant see why. So i keep seeing people say its ok to drive so many miles to find a place they can exercise. It shouldn't be. I thought driving was only for essential business, but then exercise is deemed essential, i guess. That just seems confusing and with Ma'am giving her speech later and new directives coming, i think they'll close those loopholes definitively.

I walked about 6km at lunchtime myself. Provided one keeps the required distance from other people I don't see the benefit of putting this distance limit in place.

I hope they don't make it more restrictive than it is now - one because a minority of people shouldn't ruin it for others, two because enforcing the measures that are already in place should be sufficient and three because any tightening will probably stop the measures from being sustainably kept to.

The monarchy don't usually announce new laws. I suspect the speech will be more ceremonial and motivational rather than legislative. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

I walked about 6km at lunchtime myself. Provided one keeps the required distance from other people I don't see the benefit of putting this distance limit in place.

I hope they don't make it more restrictive than it is now - one because a minority of people shouldn't ruin it for others, two because enforcing the measures that are already in place should be sufficient and three because any tightening will probably stop the measures from being sustainably kept to.

The monarchy don't usually announce new laws. I suspect the speech will be more ceremonial and motivational rather than legislative. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

The new directives are coming from the government, or reportedly so anyway. Remains to be seen.

I think the 2km limit is a good one personlly and feel its actually generous. It concentrates minds. People wont necessarily obey it but it might influence them to not flout it as much as they otherwise might. That'd be my notion of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It a 2km limit from your house if you swing a circle around your house 2km radius for most of us that allows the vast majority a 10+ km walk without walking over and back the same path. Mind you I know there is no go area's in cities but it is reasonable

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Christy42 wrote: »
    The UK's numbers have been pretty bad but can we go back to the point 5-6 days ago where people were saying the UK deaths would reach 10k within the week?

The UKs numbers are bad enough without these crazy predictions. Can we stop giving them merit in the future?

This link was posted earlier. but shows how the actual number lags behind the reported number
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/why-what-we-think-we-know-about-the-uks-coronavirus-death-toll-is-wrong

Official number at 5k now. There could be another 1k or 2k on top of that. Granted, not 10k total and an inaccurate prediction but it wouldn't be orders of magnitude off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

A Journalist from the Scotsman asked Matt Hancock about the CMO's behaviour in Scotland and how damaging it was and if he would have asked her to consider her permission.

The journalist asked the UK DCMO if the Scottish CMO is an effective spokesperson and if they had a second home which she visited since the restrictions came in place.

Hancock suggested that it wasn't a matter for them and was one for the Scottish Government, before quickly closing the press conference down without answering the second question before the UK DCMO could get a word in.

Wonder if either of them have flouted their own rules too? Didn't seem keen to talk about it.

Is there a breakdown anywhere or where the cases & deaths are taking place in the UK?
    I know London obviously, but I'm interested in a different part of the country

bubblypop wrote: »
    Is there a breakdown anywhere or where the cases & deaths are taking place in the UK?
    I know London obviously, but I'm interested in a different part of the country

Here:
    https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

It only includes hospital deaths, not prison, care home or residential deaths.

The hospital admission stats are now in for the last 24 hours.

508403.png

The downward trend in London has unfortunately been reversed and has seen it's sharpest increase since the start of the outbreak. We will see in coming days if today's were an outlier or the two days of dips were the outliers.

The full charts will be here later today
    https://www.gov.uk/government/government-efficiency-transparency-and-accountability#policy_and_engagement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

This link was posted earlier. but shows how the actual number lags behind the reported number
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/why-what-we-think-we-know-about-the-uks-coronavirus-death-toll-is-wrong

Official number at 5k now. There could be another 1k or 2k on top of that. Granted, not 10k total and an inaccurate prediction but it wouldn't be orders of magnitude off.

People were going off official figures for that 10k so no lag. I would say double is pretty far off. There is a big difference between 5k and 10k or even 7k and 10k.

Interestingly the original article didn't make a 10k prediction for the week. It said it a possibility and saying the UK amongst others was on target to hit it in the next week or two. However people wanted to run with the worst case as a guarantee.

Christy42 wrote: »
    People were going off official figures for that 10k so no lag. I would say double is pretty far off. There is a big difference between 5k and 10k or even 7k and 10k.

Interestingly the original article didn't make a 10k prediction for the week. It said it a possibility and saying the UK amongst others was on target to hit it in the next week or two. However people wanted to run with the worst case as a guarantee.

I don't remember anyone "wanting to run" with something as a guarantee.
    And who is to know what they meant. I never made any such prediction and I cannot speak as to what others meant if they did.

In other news, the numbers of deaths from Italy for today is the lowest since March 19th. Hopefully a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for them. Will also give a bit of hope to other countries if they can continue to bring down those numbers.

At first glance i thought this was just some stupid flier from some idle journalists, but it turns out to be a demand of 15 idle tory mps of their pm. I dont know all 15, but among them are David Davis, Ian Duncan Smith and Owen Paterson. These lads never take a day off.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1246750522511699970?s=20

Apparently 5 London bus drivers have died from the virus. Thats desperate and very shocking to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

At first glance i thought this was just some stupid flier from some idle journalists, but it turns out to be a demand of 15 idle tory mps of their pm. I dont know all 15, but among them are David Davis, Ian Duncan Smith and Owen Paterson. These lads never take a day off.

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Covid-19,

What's that? - yesterday's news.

Good old brits attack Scottish medical chief because she decided to spend a couple of days in her second home less than an hour away.

OK, she shouldn't have done it, but to effectively be the only story on the news shows the gutter style of the UK's media

• Advertisement

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Yeah, in the midst of an unprecedented crisis and here come these fools writing letters to the pm to make the papers and parade their utter stupidity before the nation. They dont ever stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We can laugh but there will be a reckoning with China at some point down the line. Not sure what form it'll take mind you other than a push back against the likes of Huawie and a rebalancing of trade and services between the west and the country

We can laugh but there will be a reckoning with China at some point down the line. Not sure what form it'll take mind you other than a push back against the likes of Huawie and a rebalancing of trade and services between the west and the country

sure at those lads not the lads who want to run off and do "free trade" deals (and WTO "deals" as they perceive them to exist) with China after they throw off the shackles of the anti-democratic EU?

Might not be a good way to open the oul' negotiations lads with a "where is our 400 bn" demand

While they're at it they should also fling an oul bill off to Donald for reparations for the "spanish" flu. But seriously, I'm not laughing about this at all. Crisis deepening, government floundering and here's 15 tories writing letters to papers. As prof says above, deflect x 3.

Does anyone else think it's highly ironic that the Daily Mail has a spread such as that with one of the headlines being about 'the trail of misinformation' etc?

I mean, that's something they'd never be guilty of themselves, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Apparently 5 London bus drivers have died from the virus. Thats desperate and very shocking to hear.

Scary enough job to be doing right now. They'd come across a lot of potential carriers during the course of a day.

Scary enough job to be doing right now. They'd come across a lot of potential carriers during the course of a day.

I think i would need some reassurance about protection before I'd even contemplate it. Its just you think of frontline workers and everybody thinks its all doctors, nurses and other health workers. Its so very sad, would have been young(ish) people too I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Darc19 wrote: »
    Covid-19,

What's that? - yesterday's news.

Good old brits attack Scottish medical chief because she decided to spend a couple of days in her second home less than an hour away.

OK, she shouldn't have done it, but to effectively be the only story on the news shows the gutter style of the UK's media
    That's not gutter style media. They are pleading with people to stay at home and only go out for short exercise. People are not allowed to travel or stay out in parks, including people living in flats with no gardens or balconies. How can you expect the plebs to obey the rules if those in charge don't?

She discredited government policy and made it harder to implement any other necessary measures. She should be gone and she is rightly the story of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its also a group that would I guess have higher rate of heart disease etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Does anyone else think it's highly ironic that the Daily Mail has a spread such as that with one of the headlines being about 'the trail of misinformation' etc?

I mean, that's something they'd never be guilty of themselves, right? ;)

Yes! Yes i do. Thats pretty much how i feel every time i break my solemn vow and actually read a piece from that excuse of a newspaper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement