Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

eljono wrote: »
    Yes, that's the one - though it's a Mk40, not a MkIV.

More info here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-day-date-mk40/

Had one of these in silver. Need a tool to set the date at the 10 o'clock position. Its a ball ache to set if you wear the watch in rotation. Ended up swapping it because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

oxocube wrote: »
    Had one of these in silver. Need a tool to set the date at the 10 o'clock position. Its a ball ache to set if you wear the watch in rotation. Ended up swapping it because of this.

The button at 10 is purely for the day of the week. The date and month are set through the crown.

You're right though, if you're not wearing it regularly, you do have to reset the day, date and possibly month. I usually ask my wife for one of her earrings to push the day-button or use a biro. Either does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

I'm half looking for an Omega Speedmaster - not quite sure yet on the exact model, and ideally I'd want to buy second hand. Looking at the ones local to me, I'm seeing

Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch 3570.50.00 - €5500
    Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (model number not listed) - €3450 (2008), €3600 (year not given)
    Speedmaster Mark 40 3520.50.00 - €2200 (year not given but recently serviced)
    Speedmaster Reduced (€2000, recently serviced)

I'd prefer to buy second hand but are these prices a bit high?

What would I be looking at either at an AD or grey market listing? I see them new on Chrono24 from dealers for in and around 3800€ so would expect second hand prices to be a good bit lower tbh, maybe 2500?

Any benefit in trying to buy tax free from Heathrow etc?

Brand new below for 3240 sterling from WOS.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?469427-Omega-Speedy-WOS-on-sale-%A33240-new

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

893bet wrote: »

Thanks - it does seem second hand prices are just not realistic. Very tempted at that price although I would like to try.

Can I ask what is the difference with the more expensive one below? Sapphire crystal is the main thing that jumps out

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Omega-Speedmaster-Moonwatch-Professional-42mm-Mens-Watch-O31130423001006/p/17331215/#fo_c=1551&fo_k=5e32a71d7c93b533d906638e4a04732c&fo_s=slisys

Crystal front and rear and a slight variation in the movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Was browsing for Russian watches on Ebay and came across this one that's so pretty.

Anyone any idea on Mikhail Moskvin watches? What movement is in this?
    I assume a Chinese manual movement but I can't find any other information on the web.

It's €53 with free shipping so I might just buy it anyway :)

507952.jpg

507951.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Was browsing for Russian watches on Ebay and came across this one that's so pretty.

I assume a Chinese manual movement but I can't find any other information on the web.

507952.jpg

507951.jpg

Wibbs will be along soon with the full company history including the tea ladies name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lads, I have an old watch here on a 2836 mvmt that I am playing around with to try and build some basic repair skills.

Now on 1 of the simplest jobs I am having a bloody nightmare.

Datewheel swap, have watched a few videos showing how to do it from the front.

Dial off, lift the stem side and then push in the spring on the left to pop it off.
    Reverse to put it back or swap a new one.

1st half of the job went great, 2nd half is really doing my nut in.

Can't get the side opposite the stem, where the tension spring is to sit in.

Anyone any tricks to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Don't know about the company but the movement appears to be a Chinese Tongji movement (can't get more communist than the "unified movement" watch comrade :D )
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_standard_movement

Good that they didn't put an auto-winding rotor on it - most of them are sadly low quality and don't keep the movement wound - better to just keep them as a handwind in the first place. Like the wiki states - the movement itself is sound - just depends on QC operated by the manufacturer/seller.

For 53 quid it can’t be a bad buy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I like getting a watch in the post, but sending one in the post is nerve wrecking. No amount of tracking or insurance helps. Am I the only one?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I like getting a watch in the post, but sending one in the post is nerve wrecking. No amount of tracking or insurance helps. Am I the only one?

I hate both!

The week waiting for my aquanaut was cruel. After paying via bank transfer to a stranger (albeit a long term forum). No fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Northern Monkey on the Post Pictures of your watch thread was just saying they are not wearing watches working from home. I said I am, Oyster Perpetual/Speedmaster with trackie. Also gave myself a pandemic headshave. Wonder what the guards would make of it if I was stopped going to the shop!

Just reminded me, did anyone watch Inside The K on Virgin Media recently? The amount of stupid kids wearing damn pricey watches with no verifiable reasons for how they could afford them. Think they found a 32k Hublot in a raid on a teen's gaff, he was on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I've had to work a fair bit while isolating, which is not easy when there are a family of five of us at home :)

But I've used the time to further regulate, by trial and error, my Alpha M1957.

It is now down to +4s per day on the wrist, with a half wind every night.

I'm pretty happy with that.

Otherwise, just made an impulse purchase of an oddball item that might turn out to be a little gem.

Will advise when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Birneybau wrote: »

Just reminded me, did anyone watch Inside The K on Virgin Media recently? The amount of stupid kids wearing damn pricey watches with no verifiable reasons for how they could afford them. Think they found a 32k Hublot in a raid on a teen's gaff, he was on the dole.

Paid for by 'respectable ' coke sniffing adults.

Paid for by 'respectable ' coke sniffing adults.

Very true. I find the blatant ostentaciousness of it ridiculous all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,784 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I am, Oyster Perpetual/Speedmaster with trackie. Also gave myself a pandemic headshave. Wonder what the guards would make of it if I was stopped going to the shop!

If you had a posh car and you looked 25 years younger, they might pay attention :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    If you had a posh car and you looked 25 years younger, they might pay attention :pac:

25 years younger=15. Yeah, you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,784 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was gonna post 30 years, but just on the odds of you being slightly younger than average on this forum I changed my mind and made it 25 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was gonna post 30 years, but just on the odds of you being slightly younger than average on this forum I changed my mind and made it 25 :p

:pac:
    Wait...
    So this is the WUS version of auld wans and auld fellas?

Dammit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

did anyone watch Inside The K on Virgin Media recently? The amount of stupid kids wearing damn pricey watches with no verifiable reasons for how they could afford them. Think they found a 32k Hublot in a raid on a teen's gaff, he was on the dole.

Those teenagers watches are fake. Probably from lookie lookie men

Appreciate it sonny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

It's not much of a surprise really given the current climate. Demand for luxury watches will be down and they don't want to just say they are not interested so put out an unrealistically low offer.

If someone takes them up on the low ball offer, they have something they will make a profit on easily enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Has anyone here bought anything from them?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It's a sensible offer to be fair - a second hand product even if unworn, and they need to make their own margin on it. So they offer way under retail and sell for a bit less than retail as a well regarded product that doesn't depreciate too much. A bit like if I tried to sell back the car I'd just bought.

Makes perfect sense in any reasonable world, just because that hasn't been the case in the past doesn't mean it's not going to be the way in an economy that is looking like being in absolute tatters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dinorebel wrote: »
    Wibbs will be along soon with the full company history including the tea ladies name.
    Feck off D. :D:pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

blue5000 wrote: »
    Has anyone here bought anything from them?

watchfinder ? I think I've bought 7 or 8 from them at this stage maybe more and sold similar to them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It's a sensible offer to be fair - a second hand product even if unworn,

So half the value on your 6 month old second hand car is sensible? In any market for any product it is a terrible offer. While the cost of stainless rolex is abnormal, thats obvious here is that Watchfinder are holding too much stock, even in these highly desirable models. The irony that it is watchfinder that have a lot to do with the cost of these in the first place is not lost on me.

I dont know how real all this is at the moment. People are making rushed, knee jerk decisions. Dont sell anything at the moment, leave the big flippers to suffer rather than allow them to profit in the unknown.

Advertisement