Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

First Zwift today . Arse killing me now !

Seems a few got out today for big miles looking at Strava segments .not good

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

First ride of the year. 55km. Great to be off Zwift

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

StefanFal wrote: »
    First ride of the year. 55km. Great to be off Zwift

Hope you stayed within 2km of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

StefanFal wrote: »
    First ride of the year. 55km. Great to be ON Zwift

FYP

Surely you made a typo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Skinsuit, sweatband, no helmet. Roller disco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Did one of those GCN training videos on Youtube. 30mins (I added 10min for extra warm up/cooldown) with 8x30 seconds max efforts. 'Handy enough', I thought! Fairly fooked afterwards, I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Well, I rode to the grocery shop and filled up my pannier bags with food. Duration: c. 10 minutes. Not sure about wattage or average speed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Oberkon wrote: »
    First Zwift today . Arse killing me now !

Seems a few got out today for big miles looking at Strava segments .not good

I saw one spin of a 100 + km, i know for a fact that the guy is a paramedic doing long hours on the frontline, dont know him personally, but i don't begrudge him at all, most likely did him a world of good and set him up for his next shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Dusted off the mountain bike yesterday and managed to do 32kms and 700mts climbing all within a 2km radius of home (or near enough!). A bit repetitive but better than nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bit of a 28 days vibe commuting this morning. Sunday is quiet but lockdown Sunday is a whole other level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i went .1km over my perimeter this morning, aren't i the bowsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

No cycling, just a 4km walk around the locality. I did find a four-leaved clover. It's the fourth one I've found in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭alentejo

I did a 4.5 k walk. I think I might have briefly strayed out of 2k zone. dire times

No cycling, just a 4km walk around the locality. I did find a four-leaved clover. It's the fourth one I've found in the last year.

You can buy us all shiny new bikes we can't ride when you win the Euromillions this week :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod note to all - in the interests of being sensible given the current restrictions, and to avoid having to deal with arguments about those restrictions in this thread - any posts detailing spins which clearly take the mick out of the guidelines will be deleted (possibly without warning/comment).
    any spins which clearly go noticeably further than 2km from the start point, or fall outside the idea of 'brief' exercise, will be deemed to qualify. i hope you can all understand the rationale behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

for all you hunkered up cyclists out there...

here's a special offer from RGT cycling..
    RGT Cycling, the new innovative virtual cycling platform, has today announced that it is making all of its Premium features available for free to all indoor cyclists, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.rgtcycling.com/covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Done a 13km circuit this morning, was great to get out and no cars on the road. Just shy of 30 minutes so will do that again each day if I can. Keeps me inside the 2km radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Pretty new to cycling.. have looked for thread for frequently asked Qs but none have been active for years, so will ask here but a Mod please feel free to move if needed.

Have just got a basic gps monitor for measuring distance covered etc. What’s the best way of going about measuring wheel circumference?

How often should I pump tires/clean bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Pretty new to cycling.. have looked for thread for frequently asked Qs but none have been active for years, so will ask here but a Mod please feel free to move if needed.

Have just got a basic gps monitor for measuring distance covered etc. What’s the best way of going about measuring wheel circumference?

This chart may be of some use:

https://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math

You'll find the size of your tyre marked on the tyre.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I reckon the mods will move your post to a new thread.

In terms of wheel circumference, this page (scroll down to it) might help: https://rideonmagazine.com.au/size-matters/
    However, generally:
    list1445_13118.jpg
    Your existing tyres will have something like the above written on them.
    If in doubt, then ask in your LBS (local bike store).

In terms of maintenance, check tyres weekly or before you head out on a long spin.
    In terms of cleaning, depends on how dirty it gets. This could be every few days/weekds/months. More importantly is to keep the chain properly lubricated
    https://www.cyclist.co.uk/tutorials/611/how-to-oil-a-bicycle-chain

There is also loads of videos on Youtube for this kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

September, if we're lucky ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

IMG-20200329-200707622.jpg

Four years at least after buying it I never get any use outta my expensive skinsuit so I figured fcuk it may as well use it on the rollers and save my road gear. For some reason the static electricity was off the charts with it on!!

Eventually had to resort to this!! :D

It sorted it out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

fat bloke wrote: »
    Four years at least after buying it I never get any use outta my expensive skinsuit so I figured fcuk it may as well use it on the rollers and save my road gear. For some reason the static electricity was off the charts with it on!!

Eventually had to resort to this!! :D

It sorted it out though.

First thought was that someone was trying to discourage you from heading out and had connected 220V to your saddle :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

First thought was that someone was trying to discourage you from heading out and had connected 220V to your saddle :eek:

Is this the Zwift version of EPO?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Car in garage.
    So get back on the bike for 2k spin to work.
    Jeez saddles are tough without padding!!

1st time on it in 2 years !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I don't live in Ireland

I cycled back from work this evening as usual. 3km. Average speed probably 15kph.

However, it's what I saw on my way that was remarkable and I wish I could've gotten a picture:

someone was transporting an armchair by bicycle (not a cargo bike). They had rested the chair on their rear rack and secured it with a few straps to their back, like you might wear a backpack.

Respect to that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

35 mins of 40/20's with a GCN training video this morning and half hour brisk walk this evening. I plan an easy hour on the turbo tomorrow while watching the latest installment of Better Call Saul... its very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I cycled to the shop - my first time on the Look since November when I stripped it down completely. A very unusual thing happened though, not one but two cars in a row (not directly following each other, ~30 seconds apart) gave me loads of space. The most unusual thing about it, both were BMWs with one being obnoxious X5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

velo.2010 wrote: »
    35 mins of 40/20's with a GCN training video this morning and half hour brisk walk this evening. I plan an easy hour on the turbo tomorrow while watching the latest installment of Better Call Saul... its very good.

It may very well be the best TV show there is at the moment, and of the last few years. Some people are dissappointed it's not Breaking Bad, but that's kind of the point. Nice and slow like the Wire.

Anyway, last 3 days, 25 kms up and down a virtual Ventoux. and 25 km around a virtual Pienza. Tomorrow, Cap Formentor for some spanish scenery.

Recommend Road Grand Tours for anyone looking for something. It's free, and a real alternative to Zwift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement