Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,820 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I met a woman walking with her bike near Bay restaurant in Clontarf this morning
    I suspect she might have had to walk the whole way to Fairview to get to a bike shop :(
    bay restaurant is 100m from 360 cycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

bay restaurant is 100m from 360 cycles?

Only opens at 11! This was around 9am...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I met a woman walking with her bike near Bay restaurant in Clontarf this morning on the way in. She'd punctured for the second time in 2 days and was having to walk with the front wheel off the ground because the tyre had slid off to the side and I think was wedged between the frame & rim.

Another cyclist in Neamh Bharrog club kit stopped to offer help while I was there - we offered to change the tube out for her but the axle was bolted rather than QR so we couldn't do it without a spanner :(

On the other hand 2 motorists stopped to see if they could get the bike into their cars to bring her to her destination, 1 of whom parked a good bit up the road and walked back to where we were. Sometimes little incidents remind you of the soundness of people :)

Unfortunately because of the size of her child seat and not being able to remove the wheels I suspect she might have had to walk the whole way to Fairview to get to a bike shop :(

Frequent puncturing usually means a worn tyre, as I was reminded recently enough. Better to replace it when it gets that bad.

Frequent puncturing usually means a worn tyre, as I was reminded recently enough. Better to replace it when it gets that bad.

Yeah she'd been told the same in the bike shop the previous day when getting the first puncture sorted. Her plan after the second puncture yesterday was to replace the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Did 70km last night along the mullingar greenway. Savage set up with smooth tar for the whole distance. It was -3 at times tho so i was shattered by the time i got back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3154662604

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/3159158323/

First 20km or so was a strong headwind that nearly made me give up and go back to bed, but I'm glad I didn't in the end.
    Another 250Km+ week :)

Wasn't feeling the love for a longer spin, been off the bike more than I'd have liked recently and knew my fitness had dropped badly as a result. So just got out for 65km up and down the S2S north and then up Howth and then repeated all that. Gorgeous morning out though the wind was stronger than I'd expected based on forecasts earlier in the week.

65km, 467m, 25kph

https://www.strava.com/activities/3136251381

More of the same, had a session of physio on my knee this morning and was unsure if she'd let me go for a decent spin. She advised to take it handy and be ready to bail if it got uncomfortable so I stayed close to home again, just adding 1 more loop of Howth.

74km, 612m, 25.2kph

https://www.strava.com/activities/3158992363

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Struggling with tonsillitis at the moment but managed 24km, 27.4k/hr avg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,820 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

breezy out there, did 65k out around kilbride, maynooth, dunshaughlin, etc.
    surprised i managed 27.7km/h in that wind, more proof that my form hadn't dropped as much as i'd feared in over five weeks off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Completely underestimated the wind, very tough day in the saddle. 140km @30kph with 1400m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

71 km today around the North county, that wind, bloody hell. Going east from Ballyboughal was no fun, getting blown sideways. Still, good to be out.

rushfan wrote: »
    Going east from Ballyboughal was no fun, getting blown sideways.
    worst bit for me was crossing over the N3 near dunboyne. it's very exposed there, and the headwind was not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Pretty windy down here as well today with blustery crosswinds causing me many issues in exposed areas. Any wind will do well o drop my bulk on the deck though!!!

160km done in 30.7 avg with a decent 1600m elevation, near 4000 calories shifted!!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

breezy out there, did 65k out around kilbride, maynooth, dunshaughlin, etc.
    surprised i managed 27.7km/h in that wind, more proof that my form hadn't dropped as much as i'd feared in over five weeks off the bike.
    We could well have passed each other yesterday. Did something similar to you: Clonee, Kilbride, Ashbourne, Rathoath, Dunshaughlin & Maynooth.
    Almost 85km @ a handy 26km/h...
    https://strava.app.link/napc2oVVG4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

50 odd kafter few weeks without doing a tap. very u fit. Turbo set up, horsing winter bike onto that and hitting that twice a week for next month

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Just under 33 KM @ 22.4kph, I don't care what science or logic says the wind was in my face the whole way around.
    Almost got caught out by a couple of strong gusts, then got caught in the hail/rain for the last 5 or 6 km, which slowed me right down, it was damned sore.

Best I can say about today is that I managed to get out which I hadn't done for about 4 weeks with storms and high winds every weekend.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3165437026

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭secman

After 2 more physio sessions last week, ventured out this morning with club.
    Headed into Gorey to meet club, headed for Carnew and on to Bunclody back across to Ferns and bsvk to Gorey, i headed on diwn to courtown and back via the coast road. Stopped Garmin when i hit the 100km.. avg 28.7kph 700 + meters.
    Rolled home on a cool down spin just under 10k.
    Fairly horloxed....
    Just msnaged 150km for the week over 2 days as missed 2 days yet again :(
    Onwards in hope..:)

https://www.strava.com/activities/3171188707

Did most of this loop a couple of times last week but after around 22km today, I came to a flooded road. There was a guy at the side of the road taking off waders who told me how deep and fast flowing it was further on, so I turned back to find a different route! The heavens also opened at this point so it was on with the rain jacket.
    The wind was stronger than its been in a while, but it was also warmer so quite enjoyable in places..

Went out this evening and did about 43km between Lucan & Tallaght with a number of others from the club.
    At one point we came to a set of red traffic lights. A car pulled up to my left and the driver immediately took out her phone. I went to tap on the window but she saw me so I just said out loud to her to put down the phone.
    She wound down the window and started disputing it (despite it there in her hand) and I just said how she was on her phone and should not be.
    Then she started into a rant through her open window about a man intimidating her, a lone woman. :rolleyes:
    I just repeated what I had said followed by a "go away".
    We left her at the lights - maybe she is still there holding her phone and giving out to anyone who looks at her.
    Very strange.

Anyhow: https://strava.app.link/GtqS5qiFK4

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I was in a queue of cyclists at traffic lights this morning. Some lad at the back of the queue starts cough and we all started shuffling forward.

The paranoia is real. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was in a queue of cyclists at traffic lights this morning. Some lad at the back of the queue starts cough and we all started shuffling forward.

The paranoia is real. :D

So is the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Eamonnator wrote: »
    So is the virus.

Like Irish comedians, it is no laughing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

usual commute in....but there was an artic stopped in the bus lane N4(eastbound) opposite the Spa hotel, diesel gushing out with the driver on the path making a call (for help presumably). had to cycle through the flow and was very appehensive for the next 5 mins or so...:confused:

Had a nice evening out.
    Popped into Lucan Garda station on my way home and made a statement against the driver of the cement truck from this morning.
    Headed off then towards Ardclough and Celbridge.
    Managed 46km @ just under 28km/h which given the headwind and the crappy surfaces in places isn't bad.
    More importantly, I've crossed the 2000km threshold for 2020 :D
    https://strava.app.link/J39bZ2UMN4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭JMcL

Given that I'm working from home for the foreseeable, I want to compensate as much as possible for losing the commute and keep the progress up for this year (so far about 8 weeks ahead of last year). So I got out before 7 for a 32km "commute" to my desk in the office at home. Glorious morning, with for a change mild actual spring like weather and NO WIND!!! First 15km were great and I was averaging close to 30kmph. Then I went to change the rear up. Nothing, The shifter was just going flap flap but the derailleur wasn't budging. I was in mid block at this point and I tried to shift down to see if that would unstick things, Bad mistake. I was now on the big cog on the back and about a half hour from home at normal speed. Cue crosschained pedalling spinning out at about 20kmph for the return leg. Of course this meant no effort being expended (don't remember ever seeing a HR less than 100 in mid-spin), so the previously mild morning started to get somewhat chillier. At least the roads were quieter than usual. Ended up with just under 32km @ 24.5kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Lovely quiet journey to work, flew in without the traffic.

There are a few hills on my commute that are normally a bit of an ordeal and I couldn't figure out why I didn't seem to be getting any fitter in that regard. Today, with a bit of room, I got up them without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Roads eerily quiet this morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3179572550

Looked nice and calm out so headed out into a nice spring morning. Wind is still there, but not as strong but it just sapped my will to get going. Stopped after an hour for a coffee and scone, and had the whole café to myself! Pressed on after and almost started to enjoy myself when it started to rain. Humph...
    Anyway, 215Km for the week is grand for me.

• Advertisement

Also working from home for the foreseeable but hoping to still get out regularly to at least replace the commuting mileage.

So got out today for a quick 33km between the baby's naps. Was a lot less windy than it has been, pity I missed the sun which seems to have decided to make an appearance since!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3179570441

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement