Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/3194101689/segments/79323597650

A good few degrees colder today, but less wind. My original route got derailed by a flooded road, which helped as I wasn't really feeling it after yesterdays slog in the wind, so just wandered about a bit. Not a lot in the legs for the hills so was glad to get back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Commute, less cars, but with less cars a lot drive far faster within Dublin. White vans pulling out from other roads seemed to have in for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Left later than I had hoped for, And as I was in work at 3 had to keep it short. So, 45km around the North County. It's unreal & eerie how quiet the roads are. Ballyboughal, normally a busy town was dead, pub, chipper, café, schools all shut. Felt like an 8am spin on Christmas morning. Only met 4 others & it's noticeable how friendly others are at the moment. Good to see too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭hesker

Working from home at the moment so missing my bike to work. Got out for 40km this evening around rush hour. Lovely evening for it. Plenty of cars on the road and a good few walkers. In an hour and a half didn’t see one other cyclist but my loop wouldn’t be the most used. Still about 5km was outskirts of city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Went for a 12km leisurely spin, just a loop from my house around Turloughmore. First time cycling in about 4 months so loving being out. Am going to try to make a regular habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭JMcL

Got the road bike back yesterday after dropping it into the LBS having developed an issue where the rear derailleur wouldn't shift up last week. He'd changed the cable - it was probably about due in fairness and was on my todo list - and it was shifting again, but the prognosis on the shifter wasn't great. Indeed I only got about 5km out of it this morning before it threw a hissy-fit again and wouldn't shift up. Reckon the internals probably slipped temporarily back into place when the tension came off the cable, only to revert when under tension again, Thought about heading back to the house and jumping on the other bike, but since I wasn't stuck in the absolute granny gear decided to just do a short loop anyway rather than the 35km or so I'd intended. Ended up a high cadence 19.5km @ about 24.5km/h

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

51 km yesterday and 47 km today. Lots of hauliers about the place so I actually moved over whenever as they're out the door busy at the moment.

Looped the airport both days, very little in the way of activity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Pedaled into town along the Strawberry Beds. Quiet enough along the quays. Went up to the Point and came back round by Sheriff Street. While there was an obvious reduction in footfall, the virus hasn't stopped the building work around docklands. I'd say 20% of people I passed were wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thought id be getting in a lot more daytime cycling with this working from home lark, but only out today for the first time during work hours this week. A quick up and down to the viewpoint via stocking lane, down cruagh. Way more people going up cruagh than stocking lane, should have went that way. Nice tailwind going uphill, makes a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭JMcL

Weepsie wrote: »
    51 km yesterday and 47 km today. Lots of hauliers about the place so I actually moved over whenever as they're out the door busy at the moment.

One important point on that is that there was mention a couple of days ago of relaxing the limit on how long truck drivers could be active. Not sure if it's a proposal or fait accompli, but it's something to be aware of if you're on a road that sees a lot of truck traffic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JMcL wrote: »
    One important point on that is that there was mention a couple of days ago of relaxing the limit on how long truck drivers could be active. Not sure if it's a proposal or fait accompli, but it's something to be aware of if you're on a road that sees a lot of truck traffic
    Without wanting to turn this into a debate about truckers hours, with less traffic on the roads (and that traffic appears to be moving more quickly [i.e. speeding]), it should reach the destination more quickly.

JMcL wrote: »

Good to note. I often head out and come home via the airport but otherwise I'd be away from them mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/3200328881

First spin in NCD in over two months as my course ended early this week. Took the good bike out for the first time this year and it felt good to be on something that is so light and changes gear exactly when I want it to. BB sounded awful after 2km but then 15km later went silent again (..??). Freehub wasn't too keen at first either, but that freed up soon enough. To complete the series of firsts, wore my new Kask helmet for the first time as well and was impressed with it.
    60Km @29kmh - much better than my speeds lately of low to mid 20's, even with the wind picking up in the last third

221km for the week (so far - may get to add to it this weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

did my usual commute into city centre...

anyone seeing the great red/pink sky just now in the western sunset ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we were out on donabate beach for a walk, so were treated to it on the drive home. was spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

devonp wrote: »
    did my usual commute into city centre...

anyone seeing the great red/pink sky just now in the western sunset ?

Yes, without leaving my armchair, beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Headed out for a couple of hours on backroads towards yellow furse. Nice breeze and a few hills to contend with. After a proper clean last night I forgot to reattach my saddle bag and remembered about 25k so had to change my plan and shorten the route home. I didn’t need the abuse from SWMBO if I needed air support. So headed home down the hateful N2. Home without a puncture. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Did a much needed therapeutic 40km down Strawberry Beds and Phoenix Park. It really is great for the head in times like this to get out on the bike. Traffic was very light.

The good news is that the Chief Medical Officer Tony Holohan said today that we don't need a lockdown for now. SO I for one am going to try to get a shortish solo spin in each day. Personally I really need it for both physical and mental reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Made the classic solo mistake of not factoring in the wind direction when heading out from home yesterday. Out through the Park and on to Kilcock was perfect but I began to notice a crosswind on the next leg to Sallins. While sitting on a bollard at the canal and eating an oat bar, I realised I had a 40k slog into the wind ahead of me to get home. By the time I picked up the Grand Canal Way before Ardclough I was feeling the full effect of it though the nice winding backroad from Hazelhatch Station to Lucan provide a bit of shelter. The Strawberry Beds never seemed so long!
    Still, great to get out on a cool but sunny day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3200293971

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

60km this morning around NCD. Bit chilly and windy, but I deliberately set out to head into the wind as much as possible on the first half.

https://strava.app.link/SXbR7r5f24

Bugger, can't see how to post a web link on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

surely you don't need to social distance when on a bike as you cycle past people do ya?

As long as you don't snotrocket at them, I don't see an issue. No groups larger than two riders spotted this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Lovely solo 130km around the roads of Cavan, Longford, Meath and Westmeath. Plenty of previously undiscovered roads. A little breezier that hoped but no rain, finally. Averaged 32kph.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Headed west from Leixlip to Edenderry and then south towards Rathangan & the Hill of Allen before heading back to Leixlip.
    As others mentioned the wind on the way back was a killer. Had been doing good times on the first half on the spin but from Edenderry onwards was a real slog :(
    The worst part of the cycle was the stretch from Edenderry to Rathangan which was covered in litter; the most I've seen in a long time. I was genuinely shocked.
    Anyhow 106km @ 29.1
    https://strava.app.link/BuQgkg0k24

Planned to head and do 50-60 back home for coffee and then repeat. ended up doing 80 before getting home.

Caffeine km board went and did a loop of the park for just under 101km at 26kmph.

Plenty out, some pairs and only 1 group.

Also saw loads more litter on roads around old town, st. Margaret's.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3203387448

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

first leisure cycle of the year Dublin- glencullen-glencree and back through Rathfarnham . A lovely Easterly on the uphill, except cold as fck going downhill, was home by 10am this morning, only warmed up at noon. Most people seemed to be cycling counter clockwise so they would have had the wind against them going uphill

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out for 4 hours with a efforts to be done. The first 3 were fine but no heart for the last 3 so left them & rolled home. Motivation is hard for z4 stuff with no racing so time to adjust weekend plans to looking over ditches spin while doing intensity midweek on the turbo.

90km @ 28. 8 avg with 110 elevation.

Went to LBS for a chat and came home with a new Giro helmet & Tifosi glasses, shop local lads in these times for businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Solo spin, headed to Kilmuckridge and out on to the main road and on to Castlebridge and towards Wexford town, left on to the draggy coast road to Curracloe, Blackwater, Kilmuckridge, Ballygarrett , Killenagh and home.
    70km 700m 26 kph.
    Stiff and cold easterly coming in off the sea all along the coast road 💨

Lovely morning for it out there. Nearly came off The bike though, which would have been very embarrassing because I was stopped, having a banana at the time, and just about got my left foot unclipped before I toppled over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just back from a 70 km spin.
    Ardcath, Garristown, Naul, Ballyboughil, Old N1 to Balrothery, Gormanston, Julianstown and home.
    Beautiful day out. Met lots of solo riders, was a bit disappointed to see a group of three cyclists from a Meath club and a group of four from a Dublin club.
    Apart from that, I enjoyed it, really good for the head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement