Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

Club spin cancelled today, headed out solo to Kilmuckridge out on to the main road towards Wexford , just before Castlebridge a squall approached so took a left turn for Screen and on to Curracloe and back the coast road to Blackwater, Kilmuckridge and home.
    51km just under 500m climbing Avg 26.4 kph.
    Just hit the first 1,000km for the year, seem to take an age to hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭dahat

7am depart for 4hrs training for me, same route more or less as week. The sw wind was iffy in places but generally ok for cycling.

While I felt fine I know the legs were a little below par as soon as I started my first effort so adjusted to get all 6 done rather than bail out. I wasn't getting up at 6am to whimper home with unfinished efforts.

The journey home presented two decent KOM attempts so took those to cheer myself up, more than please even if a little wind assisted.

4 hours, 116k & 1200m elevation @ 29.1 avg.

Now to spend the week praying for milder & calmer weather next weekend.

Bought a turbo trainer as I fell on ice over Xmas and we have a second baby on the way in two weeks.

Did an hour of 5 minute repeats yesterday and two hours steady today as weather was so bad. No clue what I was at but worked out fine.

Not as boring as I thought it would be but not near as fulfilling as a spin in the great outdoors. Needs must and it'll probably be my lot until the summer.

Bought a turbo trainer as I fell on ice over Xmas and have a second baby on the way in two weeks.

Did an hour of 5 minute repeats yesterday and two hours steady today as weather was so bad. No clue what I was at but worked out fine.

Not as boring as I thought it would be but not near as fulfilling as a spin in the great outdoors. Needs must and it'll probably be my lot until the summer.

Embrace the turbo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

I thought my commute was particularly brutal tonight. Cold with a vicious headwind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

Sitting at home eating breakfast listening to the lashing rain outside....in 5 mins I'll be cycling out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

My spin was actually on Saturday. 80km. The combination of the weather, winter training benefits and tail wind almost brought a tear of joy to my eye after months of indoor riding.

In particular what I want to mention, though, were the many considerate drivers. All gave a minimum of 1,5 - 2m when overtaking and some even fully crossed to the other side of the road which was hugely appreciated when I was riding into a nasty head/cross wind. Thanks to those folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

50km spin today with a big hill in the middle.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3110692298

Went out later to miss the worst of the weather this morning, and almost got away with it. Cold and windy for the most part and a few showers thrown in for good measure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out this evening on my way home from work and with another club member I clocked up 55km @27km/h around Lucan and Tallaght.
    Feet were absolutely frozen when I got home.
    Got my YTD total over the 1200km mark so I'm happy with that.
    https://strava.app.link/gl1tIf7Qb4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,983 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

with a big hill in the middle.
    odd that there's no segment showing which takes in the full climb?

• Advertisement

odd that there's no segment showing which takes in the full climb?

Yeah, I noticed that. I would make one myself but I'm no climber and don't want to be last on my own segment...

https://www.strava.com/activities/3113908944

Todays torture..

I thought I'd planned a gentle spin to get out and see the local area a bit more - but forgot to check the elevation! Around the 60Km mark I hit a wall, literally and figuratively.
    It was wet from the off with drizzle on and off, giving way to persistent rain. I didn't sleep well last night and missed breakfast this morning so just had a few Jaffa cakes before setting off. All was ok apart from my feet were beginning to get really cold, and then at 60km I had a nightmare. I was tiring and was suddenly faced with a climb from hell. The road was gravelly with grass growing in the middle, and suddenly went straight up. I have a 32 cassette on my good bike for things like this, but my Cube that I was on today has a 28 on it (felt like a 4 today!!). I was doing ok for the first part until I spun out the back wheel on some loose gravel and had to put my foot down. Could I get started again? Not a chance. I ended up walking probably 200m (which felt like more as my feet were so cold). If I wasn't on some little track in the middle of nowhere, I'd have dumped the bike in the ditch and got a taxi, but this wasn't really an option.
    I stopped in the next town and got a coffee and cake to buck me up, which helped. Got back to find my Garmin on 99.4Km so somehow summoned the energy to ride 400m further down the road and turn back to click it over the 100 mark.
    Definitely taking a day off tomorrow to recover (and let my gear dry..)

4hrs, cold, wet, windy and solo. Glad to get out on the road it equally glad to get home, not a good day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

dahat wrote: »
    4hrs, cold, wet, windy and solo. Glad to get out on the road it equally glad to get home, not a good day on the bike.

Better than sitting at home hoping the physio session booked for Monday will get me sorted and back out on the bike ....just saying :)

secman wrote: »
    Better than sitting at home hoping the physio session booked for Monday will get me sorted and back out on the bike ....just saying :)

Very true & hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

secman wrote: »

Hope you get up and out on the bike again soon.

Today was an OK day for my second spin of 2020. Very windy, not that cold, but when it rained it was cold rain. Glad to get out of my kit after 2hr. 52km, 24.6 average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭saccades

None of the club spins appealed so went around ballinstoe on me tod.

Easy out lap and pushed hard for the second (too windy to give it beans everywhere)...

Managed to get around only 90 seconds slower than my all time record.

Old bike was a better climber (nearly 3 mins faster to the top) but the segment flies downwards. The puddles on expressway meant I lost feeling in my feet on the 2nd lap, looked a right idiot trying to pass by a crowd of riders nattering as I was unable to clip back in for ages. Hadn't a clue where on the peddle my foot was

Be interesting to see where I am in 5 months (usually the tip of my fitness before holidays and the like).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Had a nice cycle today. I thought I was flying, get home upload to Strava and not a single PB not even a second or a third. Wtf!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hungover. Managed the shops and back. Only nice Sunday we've had this month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Ray Crinion sportive today. Always a hammerfest and today was no different. Legs felt great and I spent the day up with the big boys, even putting in a few turns at the front.

Coming through Edenderry a couple of highly enthusiastic folk with somewhat questionable road etiquette squeezed up the middle of the bunch and took the wheel in front of me. Sure, no bother, if you're that keen then don't let me hold you back. BUT DON'T LOSE THE FKING WHEEL AS SOON AS THE ROAD KICKS UP!!!!
    But they did. In a flash there was a hundred meters of a gap and I was not pleased. May have expressed that to the lads as I had to go past them.

5 of us had a go and went hell for leather from Carbury trying to bridge the gap to the front bunch again but by the time we got to Broadford we hadn't closed any ground and we had burned our matches.
    As we got into Longwood I had enough and pulled into the house as the headwind for the 15km back home wasn't very appealing at that stage.
    Apart from that, it was great to be out after the last few weeks weather. Also felt good to finally be back properly on track in my own head after my spill last year.

86km at just under 35kmh (first 15 was a leisurely spin to the start so the main event was a fair bit faster)
    https://strava.app.link/Bs8HZyYJj4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

did the Ray Crinnion also with dad.

First time on the bike in two weeks. i was planning on doing the 60 but was hating the first 10k as my hamstring was fierce tight . Saw a sign for the 40k and we took that route instead as i wanted to see the kildare game too. We kept the pace in high 20s for the rest of the spin. felt good after a mars bar at 15k. Met a few others and formed a good group back to trim. The baked potato was welcome!!

And Kildare lost... AGAIN!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3124781257

My uncle is over again from the UK for a few weeks and new Cube Agree C62 in tow so went for a 40km odd spin with him this morning. I've a significant birthday this year and I might be asking for one of those !!!! Beautiful machine.

Baby landed three weeks ahead of schedule on Monday so had to make do with the turbo charger over the weekend.

An hour of five minute intervals on Saturday and then a scheduled two hour steady spin was interrupted after 65 minutes when our 1 and a half year old woke early from his nap.

Planning for the Wicklow 200 at the start of June so training will be fairly hit and miss and mostly indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Mostly a tail wind heading in this morning, apart from a few rogue gusts that nearly blew me of the bike.

Glad I cycled though, traffic around Sandyford and the N11 was bedlam!.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Mostly a tail wind heading in this morning, apart from a few rogue gusts that nearly blew me of the bike.

Glad I cycled though, traffic around Sandyford and the N11 was bedlam!.
    I was stopped at lights and nearly came a cropper with a big gust.

It looks like it might not be too bad Thursday or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I was stopped at lights and nearly came a cropper with a big gust.

It looks like it might not be too bad Thursday or Friday.

Yeah I'm aiming for a decent spin on Thursday after seeing the forecasts.

This morning I was into the teeth of the headwind along the coast on the S2S north. Possibly the slowest commute I've ever done but didn't help that I'd 2 fully loaded panniers :(
    Tailwind might be a bit slacker this evening on the way home by the look of things too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I took the inland route through Raheny and Killester instead of the S2S. Less windy but got beeped at for overtaking a fellow cyclist...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I took the inland route through Raheny and Killester instead of the S2S. Less windy but got beeped at for overtaking a fellow cyclist...
    The driver was probably telling you that there was a perfectly fine cycle path half a mile away along the coast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Weeks on end of being absolutely battered by the wind going to work. If this is going to become the norm I'll have to get an ebike sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Weeks on end of being absolutely battered by the wind going to work. If this is going to become the norm I'll have to get an ebike sooner or later.

Makes for good training :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement