Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

Athlone -> Moate -> Athlone on the Greenway after work, 28km in an 1h 08m

First longish ride on my new bike because of surgery late last year. Bike felt so fast compared to my old one much easier to maintain momentum and judging by my heart rate I was pushing my body pretty hard. A very enjoyable ride overall even if I am a bit achey today, I guess I've lost a little fitness due to inactivity.

Good to get back out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

patmahe wrote: »
    Athlone -> Moate -> Athlone on the Greenway after work, 28km in an 1h 08m

First longish ride on my new bike because of surgery late last year. Bike felt so fast compared to my old one much easier to maintain momentum and judging by my heart rate I was pushing my body pretty hard. A very enjoyable ride overall even if I am a bit achey today, I guess I've lost a little fitness due to inactivity.

Good to get back out there :)

Well done on getting back out! Was after work in daylight or darkness? I've often wondered how that cycle would be at nighttime!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On my way in to work, I encountered some strange behaviour travelling just south of Superquinn Supervalu Lucan.
    A UK reg Land Rover Defender sped up behind me, revving his engine, presumably trying to intimidate me. However, this was maybe 10m from a stopped van which I was able to pass alongside so had no effect on me apart from making me look behind.
    Further on as I was crossing the train bridge at Adamstown, he passed me, beeped several times and I could see him pointing towards the cycle path (at least he kept his distance).
    However, looking at the rear camera footage, he approached me flashing his lights (at this point it was already daylight). Honestly, what is the point of flashing at a cyclist when you're behind them?

(Presumably no point reporting him)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Might take extra action for a UK reg vehicle. It could just about making tourists behave but it could be a matter of a UK reg vehicle being used here without being properly imported. They'd pay attention to that possibility...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

I had something similar from a uk reg golf this evening. Bit of revving then sped off. Actually a lot of uk reg cars around. Best to report them to customs rather than guards.. the guards only care about tax discs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i come across a lot of NI reg cars around the east link, i've always assumed it's engineers/construction workers travelling from up north to sites in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

I heard on Matt Cooper today that they have developed a cycling shirt with emojis and with indicators...sounds like a very cool idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Headed out west today towards Spanish Point. First ride with new chain, cassette and rear mech. Now the chain skips on both rings if there's too much pressure!! That made hills slow work and getting out of the saddle impossible! Apart from that, the weather wasn't bad. The wind picked up for the return leg, and the rain made an appearance just as I got back to Shannon.
    New rings ordered from LBS so I'll be fitting them tomorrow

https://www.strava.com/activities/3079490542

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out west today towards Spanish Point. First ride with new chain, cassette and rear mech. Now the chain skips on both rings if there's too much pressure!! That made hills slow work and getting out of the saddle impossible! Apart from that, the weather wasn't bad. The wind picked up for the return leg, and the rain made an appearance just as I got back to Shannon.
    New rings ordered from LBS so I'll be fitting them tomorrow

https://www.strava.com/activities/3079490542

Had a similar experience, changed chain and cassette, was still jumping and when i had a closer look at chainring...it was fcked. Luckily i got a brand new one at a heavily discount price as it had a slight scuff on it. But now i can't get it on to the 28 on the big ring, only discovered that on Ticknock and Cruagh last night, but thankfully fine on the small ring. Need to revisit CSS....third attempt to right it...paying top dollar too. (apart from scuffedd big ring).

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

secman wrote: »
    ...But now i can't get it on to the 28 on the big ring, only discovered that on Ticknock and Cruagh last night, but thankfully fine on the small ring. Need to revisit CSS....third attempt to right it...paying top dollar too. (apart from scuffedd big ring).

:(

Assuming Shimano road drivetrain, the correct chain length is: Chain on the big ring/smallest sprocket, and the two bolts through the centre of the jockey wheels on the rear derailleur cage should be vertical (or a tiny bit swung forward, if truly vertical is less than a chain-link away)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

New job means I rotate Fridays and saturdays so had today off. Work tomorrow and stormy weather mean weekend is for other stuff.

Out, and turned bike after I think a hub or something failed and just wouldn't rotate. Changed the bike, and took the good one for a change. Out to Howth, bit of a slog with some tough crosswinds. Blew up on the village side, having rolled up it on my winter bike last time and then A brief stop due to some fallen electrical wires (ESB were already on there way).

Had the wind behind me so got down the coast road where I had my spill on the painted roundabout (in the other thread). Talked myself out of going home, and put up with the wrist discomfort and thigh bruising (no damage to stuff) and carried on. Got as far as ballyboughal and stopepd for an espresso and one of their bloody amazing bakewells and spotted they do Anzac cookies and they're cheap. Cookie and espresso in me, I went home for lunch

Had to do something in Airside so ate, and took a detour on the way home for a strange and eventful 102 kms

Had at least 4 people decide that I wasn't going that fast and pull out of junctions, when I clearly was. Had a few of those passes were people kind of half wheel you, but with cars and the decide to shoot on past.

Think I'll need to find quieter roads for the Friday cycles

https://www.strava.com/dashboard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

After checking the weather forecast and noting the southerly winds, I left the house for Enniskerry. The wind strengthened somewhat but maybe that was just because I gained elevation. I didn’t bother stopping in Enniskerry for coffee but instead I headed for Bray and back home on the N11 with the the wind (that was now abating - typical :rolleyes: ) at my back.

Just before home, I stopped in Templeogue Village for tea and a tasty sausage sambo.

61km for the day and 1,000km for the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

3 hours done had a tailwind most of the way home so that was fun.

wind picking up now

I had planned on heading out with the club but all spins were cancelled because of the breeze. Have made use of the time to get stuff done that I'd long fingered for ages.
    I'll see what its like later and head out either on the bike or for a run.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    61km for the day and 1,000km for the year so far.
    Fair play. I hit the 1000km mark yesterday. Only another 9000 to go for the year.
    https://strava.app.link/wxQaStdxU3

Managed 42k this morning as it looked a bit calmer than forecast.

Out and back and averaged 21.9kph on way out mostly uphill and into the teeth of the gales. Was barely moving at times.

Wind was with me on the way home but there was a few very dodgy gusts that caught me and had to be very cautious.

Just shy of 25kph for 40k. Very cautious due to the wind but it was a bonus spin as thought I wouldn't get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Too near race season to miss a 4hr endurance spin so out the gap I went at 6.45 am to avoid the storm or the start of the bad wind even.

My Aldi cree front light x2 proving again to be well up to the job while awaiting sunrise. The one bonus about that time of day is the lower volumes of traffic, well worth taking advantage.

Two very short squally showers were the only negative really, route was picked to minimise exposure to the SW winds.

120km at 30.1 avg & 1,000 climbing but back to the turbo tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

IMG-20200208-WA0003.jpg

Bray Head.

Went over to GOTD and kindlestown where someone not in control of a dog needed a thick ear.

30km and 1100m of climbing, loved being pushed up to the cross by the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Got my 100k constitutional in. Was a grand day really. Turned around at the top of the Wicklow gap to go back to Hollywood cos the weather was closing in a bit but had a fantastic tailwind all the way home then N81, small lake, embankment.
    Home, showered and bike washed, dried and oiled by 12.45!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Brutal wind this morning, nothing too dramatic, just a strong headwind most of the commute in. Took me 45 minutes to do 15km instead of my normal sub 35. To be expected I suppose. But I didn't feel the cold too badly with all the effort I put in.

The Portmarnock-Baldoyle track was completely submerged this morning too, I expected as much and decided to walk the bike over the grassy/muddy embankment. Pain in the arse, but there's a known problem there that's not due to be fixed til May.

I'll keep an eye on weather for later in the day, hopefully it doesn't deteriorate too much.

I looked out the window this morning and saw the cars iced over and it snowing lightly and figured that after sliding three weeks ago, I'd drive into work. Don't want to damage the bike (or myself).

• Advertisement

I looked out the window this morning and saw the cars iced over and it snowing lightly and figured that after sliding three weeks ago, I'd drive into work. Don't want to damage the bike (or myself).

Where was that? It snowed on my commute into town from Raheny but there was no ice or frost on the ground or the cars.

@Alanstrainor looks largely fine for the rest of the day and you'll have a nice tailwind blowing you home :D

Where was that? It snowed on my commute into town from Raheny but there was no ice or frost on the ground or the cars.
    Leixlip.
    Turned out to be a thin film.of ice but it was enough to deter me

Leixlip.
    Turned out to be a thin film.of ice but it was enough to deter me

As it would have been for me...the last time I cycled out of our estate on slightly icy roads I came off within about 100m of my house! So I'm not inclined to risk it when I don't need to.

The snow this morning was lovely as it came at the end of my cycle when I was beginning to overheat :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You're definitely right not to risk it lads, ice is just a disaster on a bike. Being in Portmarnock, and my commute hugging the coast the whole way into town, I often find that ice build up isn't as much of a problem. That's what I tell myself on mornings like this at least!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up to the Hellfire at lunch to catch a bit of snow. Glorious day for it, cycling Coilte tracks in the snow is one of life's simple treats.

502630.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/3093648958

Headed west again now I have new chainrings. Started feeling heartburn / indigestion after 30km and it never fully went away. Got chased by a dog twice. First one was a little terrier thing that I easily outpaced, but the second was on the climb out of Miltown Malbay and the fecker wouldn't be deterred, even after a few squirts from my water bottle. He chased for a good 5-600m along the road after jumping over a wall.
    After 3/4 of the way I started to feel pretty hungry and tired, so was glad to get back in the end. Nice bright day for it and around 5 degrees. Little wind and no rain!! Only saw 2 other lads out though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Having instigated the move of our regular club Tuesday spin to Wednesday, I felt I had to show up this morning despite the icy roads around Drumcondra. Heading out to Swords on the main road was fine though most of the off-road cyclepath looked dodgy. As expected, the decision was quickly made to stay on the main road and head up to Drogheda.
    Normally the R132 would top my list of least-favoured roads but this morning it was grand - less traffic than normal, a bit of south in the westerly wind, sunshine and zero ice. After a welcome coffee and scone in Bare, we headed back to Balbriggan and followed the coast to Skerries and Rush. With the temperature now up to 5 or 6 degrees, it was safe enough to explore some quiet back roads around Rogerstown before braving the traffic through Lusk, Blake's Cross and back to Swords.
    A grand spin to mark the first anniversary of a bad fall this day last year!!
    https://strava.app.link/8wVuQe8O13

https://www.strava.com/activities/3096259935

Legs were tired from yesterday, but it looked too nice out not to get out for a bit. Had a spin down to Bunratty Castle as I've driven past it a few times but not looked at it closely.
    Then headed for Cratloe, which was a suggestion from someone on here. I rained as I left Bunratty so I had put my rain jacket on and as I got to a forest car park on the Cratloe climb, I decided to stop and take it off as the rain had stopped and I was getting hot. This was a great decision as there was a whole lot more climbing left to do.. Some great views from the top though, so it was all worth it.
    I seemed to get a second wind for the last part and picked up a few achievements on the last leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Bloody storms on successive weekends sucks... headed out at 6:30 am to do small lakes plus a bit spin... but was blown to almost a standstill on a roundabout just beyond Blessington.. quick turn around and headed back in. Got back just before the rain. Severe gusts of winds though, some hairy cross wind moments.

• Advertisement

Club spin cancelled so two of us decided to head out anyhow around the roads of Nth Kildare for about 55km.
    Some side winds taking us by surprise but in general it was fine. Headwinds proved to be great exercise for the legs. Next to no rain.
    We didn't see a single cyclist along the way.

https://strava.app.link/by7d5ddd63

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement