Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

Got my first 50km of the year done earlier today - hopefully I can get out again Saturday and Sunday to get back into the habit and hopefully start back to the 100km+ cycles in the next couple of weeks.
    Was happy to get 30km avg pace today without pushing hard.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3179500069

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

First evening of the year that I can remember that there wasn't a head wind when cycling east to west. Made it all the more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

went for 20k round trip this morning and popped into my local cafe on the way back, fek this coronavirus

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

All club spins cancelled because of some kind of virus so I went out on my todd this morning. Went from Leixlip up to Howth summit via city centre. Was lovely on the way out but the return journey was tough between the post headwind and the cold rain.
    It was just under 83km at 27.9km/h - I'm reasonably happy with that.
    I had thought I'd head to Maynooth for a post-cycle coffee and to bump me over the 100km in total but decided that I'd better just get home. My chain is also 100% worn so best off not pushing it too much.
    https://strava.app.link/5vuvYvJOQ4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Did the Mullingar-Athlone Greenway for a change today. The rain came earlier than I expected, so I was absolutely drownded on the way back. Fair play to the lads in Outdoor Escape for letting me use their changing room to change out of the wet gear. Heat was on full blast in the car on the way home!

• Advertisement

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Did the Mullingar-Athlone Greenway for a change today.
    We were supposed to have a club spin there today but it fell through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

We were supposed to have a club spin there today but it fell through :(

More cyclists than walkers on it today, although overall, it was quiet for a Saturday. No 5k run out of Mullingar for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out to Celbridge, maynooth, Kilcock, straffan, Naas and across to Blessington and home. 105 km and 27.98 kph.. very few out, mostly single riders, we saw 2 other groups, 6 of us, great to get out and away from the V news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

third cycle in seven weeks today, and it banjaxed me. 67km, 25.4km/h. the spin up the nag's head from the man'o'war side had me at a crawl, but in my defence there was a reasonably strong north westerly.
    interesting that my legs seem to have lost form much more than my heart and lungs; i wasn't out of breath, was just struggling to turn the legs faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

spent first half battling a gale force head wind. knackered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Best form of social isolation...63.2km @ 27.4k/hr, didn't see a single other cyclist and not a huge amount of cars.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3188700710

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Sat my fat ass on a bike for a long spin in... I don't know... a year almost. Nice. Real nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short 31k spin out to Enniskerry and back over lunch. Blowy enough and it seems like many are driving out that way for a walk these days. Will look for somewhere a bit more off the beaten track next time out.

Clubs have not only cancelled club spins but are also asking members to desist from arranging unofficial spins as riders 2 abreast cannot adhere to 2 meters social distancing.
    Solo is the plan, hopefully it won't be banned over the next couple of weeks, Safe riding to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

We've not been notified of this, I'd say it's per club policy.
    If that's the case then 80% of the workforce is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I just hope we don't end up like Spain and not allowed outside to exercise.

dahat wrote: »
    We've not been notified of this, I'd say it's per club policy.
    If that's the case then 80% of the workforce is in trouble.

Sat and Sun were big turnouts for unofficial spins. No club gear in sight...but this evening all changed.. advocating solo spins.. every day is a ramp up with this virus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

secman wrote: »
    Sat and Sun were big turnouts for unofficial spins. No club gear in sight...but this evening all changed.. advocating solo spins.. every day is a ramp up with this virus :(

Those spins were a touch irresponsible to be fair. The riders should have known better & can't blame clubs for issuing the solo directive.

Hopefully the next 10 days will see results from the actions taken so far.

dahat wrote: »
    Those spins were a touch irresponsible to be fair. The riders should have known better & can't blame clubs for issuing the solo directive.

Hopefully the next 10 days will see results from the actions taken so far.

In hindsight they were, but in fairness 2 days is a long tine these days. I was in a group of 6 on Sat but went solo on Sunday and intend to carry on solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

All club spins cancelled because of some kind of virus ....

Three days ago ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Another solo spin this morning, across to Ferns, Enniscorthy, Wexford town and back via the coast road to Curracloe, Blackwater, Kilmuckridge and home.
    82km almost 700 m Avg 26kph. Damp misty and headwind all the way from Ferns to Wexford town. Only saw about 6 solo cyclist on whole spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/3191329986

115Km today. First half was grand, apart from a few dodgy farm-track like roads I'd picked out. The descent into Killaloe was the first sign of the wind picking up - I had to pedal downhill to keep moving!
    Apart from fighting a headwind for the last 40-odd Km, I did see a few people out - all solo - and a few in shorts!
    I dropped my chain about 10km from home and the left shifter stuck ( a recurring thing on this bike) and I didn't bother putting my gloves back on as it felt so mild.

Happy St. Patricks day everyone!

Didnt manage to get out yesterday as planned (how can I "work from home" when clients keep contacting me?) so I figured I'd try to make up for it and close off a few March challenges on Strava I signed up for.
    Headed from Leixlip down around the Blessington Lakes via Brittas & Lacken and back home via Naas, Straffan, Celbridge and Maynooth.
    There were loads if solo cyclists but also "groups" of 2+ people. Plenty of groups of joggers also.
    Anyhow, managed 114km @ just under 27km/h with elev gain of 854m
    https://strava.app.link/stgrxGPTV4
    Completely knackered now!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I just hope we don't end up like Spain and not allowed outside to exercise.

I really hope it doesn’t come to this - I’d go nuts .
    Turbo non stop
    Imagine trying to keep 3 young kids happy though with cabin fever setting in

Never seen so many people out walking and hiking up the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I’ve been working from home since the middle of last week. The wife started working from home on Friday so I went out and did a 100km spin. I went for my usual Sunday spin - managed 60km. Monday I went out again for 50km and today I did 80km. I’m a lone wolf on the bike so the current situation isn’t a hassle from that point of view.

I’ll have to do some work tomorrow but the weather looks like improving towards the weekend so I’ll hopefully get out on the bike then unless we go to defcon 11 or something.

I’ve been to Blessington more times in the past week than I’ve been to my local village.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i haven't been in the office in seven weeks. what's new now is my wife is also working from home. my usual routine will be shot.

i haven't been in the office in seven weeks. what's new now is my wife is also working from home. my usual routine will be shot.

My partner was joking earlier about a baby boom come Christmas because of this. Well that or a spike in divorces :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My partner was joking earlier about a baby boom come Christmas because of this. Well that or a spike in divorces :pac:

Already happening in China :pac:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/divorces-spike-in-coronavirus-quarantines

Several children, including my good self, are an outcome of the all-too-frequent ESB strikes in the 1970s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

Don't know where I saw it, but someone was saying babies born in 2020 will be called 'coronials'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement