Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

g1983d wrote: »
    Tahys having a race every 2and weekend, they are on about triple and quadruple headers, not sure how practical that is though

The teams won't want that. A good 10 race calendar, featuring the best tracks, that would be a great and exciting F1 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

The teams won't want that. A good 10 race calendar, featuring the best tracks, that would be a great and exciting F1 season.

Agree but as Vettel/hamilton said and money talks, less races is less cash from venues, sky, sponsors

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

McLaren have said they are using Mercedes engines in 2021 regardless of whatever happens this year/next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

g1983d wrote: »
    Agree but as Vettel/hamilton said and money talks, less races is less cash from venues, sky, sponsors

https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull-2/

Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Above Link wrote:
    Red Bull, though, isn’t only in charge of a Formula 1, ...

Things have changed dramatically in the last while :eek: :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

flazio wrote: »

Thought it was a very good read, brought back some fond memories! :)

Don't think anyone will ever forget those Jordan's with the wasp on them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What a great read from Peter Collins about Ireland's role in the F1 Championship.

David Kennedy was a great commentator of RTÉ's F1 coverage. I was glued to their coverage when I was a kid.

All those great memories are flooding back.

Ugh, couldn't stand RTE's commentary. Not when Murrray and Brundle were still going. Heck even James Allen was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Never liked RTE commentary,the only bonus was that I got the odd few bits sent to me from David Kennedy via his cousin who was the principal in my school at the time. Murray Walker was a commentary god, with Brundle alongside. I never have nor will i ever like David Croft, James Allen,Peter Collins or Jonathan Legard.

• Advertisement

Never liked RTE commentary,the only bonus was that I got the odd few bits sent to me from David Kennedy via his cousin who was the principal in my school at the time. Murray Walker was a commentary god, with Brundle alongside. I never have nor will i ever like David Croft, James Allen,Peter Collins or Jonathan Legard.

Legard was the worst. Followed by Collins, Allen, and Croft.

Coulthard was good when he was with Brundle. Be good if those two teamed up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ugh, couldn't stand RTE's commentary. Not when Murrray and Brundle were still going. Heck even James Allen was better.

Collins was just the one who describes what they see and padded it out, but Kennedy was insightful. He would have fit in on ITV and BBC. But Brundle was always the best of my time.

I started watching in 1998 and Walker was a bit of a mess back then. He constantly muddled things up and as a new fan, I couldn't tell when he was correct and when he was having a senior moment. He had great intonation for a commentator though. He could make anything sound exciting

Legard was the worst. Followed by Collins, Allen, and Croft.

Coulthard was good when he was with Brundle. Be good if those two teamed up again.

Coulthard grew into a very good commentator but he was pretty poor and boring to listen to, to begin with. He really improved.

I agree with you though and I'd say that Coulthard and Brundle might be the best combination

Coulthard grew into a very good commentator but he was pretty poor and boring to listen to, to begin with. He really improved.

I agree with you though and I'd say that Coulthard and Brundle might be the best combination

Sky need to throw some money DC's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Sky need to throw some money DC's way.

Not likely when he's one of the owners of the company behind Channel4's coverage unless C4 was to drop their coverage altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The only time I watched RTE coverage was if ITV were on ad breaks and they werent!

ELM327 wrote: »
    The only time I watched RTE coverage was if ITV were on ad breaks and they werent!

Yeah same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Other way around for me. Watch RTÉ live and catch ITV highlights in the evening. Personally I've never warmed to Martin Brundle, just didn’t like him. Drifted away from F1 after it went to Setanta and only got back into it when the BBC paired David Coulthard with Ben Edwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

I probably watched ITV more than RTE back in the day. Always preferred Setanta over ITV though when they got the rights. I thought Allen & Brundle got very stale at that time. The on track product wasn't great at that time, but thought Quigley, Kennedy and Anderson were a great team! Is Quigley still doing the cycling commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Bernie claims he would abandon the 2020 season if he was in charge. A bit early for April Fool's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So it will be June and Canada at the earliest before the season starts if it ever starts. If it does eventually get going it will be a very interesting season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm licking my lips imagining the Sky salt if Lewis doesn't win this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

I'm licking my lips imagining the Sky salt if Lewis do:oesn't win this year.

If there is no race he cannot win? :confused:;)

F1 now talking about double headers to get as many races in as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well if no one wins it makes shít all difference he'll race in 2021.

I think only Raikkonen might not take his seat into 2021 if he decides to retire this year everyone else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

If we have any championship this year, I'm fully confident Lewis will win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Harika wrote: »
    If there is no race he cannot win? :confused:;)

F1 now talking about double headers to get as many races in as possible.

I should've said if he doesn't win a truncated season Sky would come out with stuff like, "Well if we didn't cancel the [insert country here] GP Lewis would have won," or how unfair it is that Max got lots of practice on racing sims.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well if no one wins it makes shít all difference he'll race in 2021.

I think only Raikkonen might not take his seat into 2021 if he decides to retire this year everyone else will.

There were questions about Renault’s commitment to F1 and Coronavirus has brought car sales and car production to a complete standstill. So it might be very hard to justify money for F1 when all this is over.

That goes for all the manufacturers. Honda pulled out when the last recession struck, even though they were in a treat position with car development. So it can happen and we’re going to be straight into recession when this thing is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

That is a good point. Some manufacturers may not want to be looking to be spending millions on F1 when they have had to shut their car factories. Mercedes and Renault could be the biggest risks on that one.

Volkswagen dropped out of WRC at very short notice after the diesel gate scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We could soon return to Mclaren with mercedes works engine
    deal being front runners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

mickdw wrote: »
    We could soon return to Mclaren with mercedes works engine
    deal being front runners.

Even that dominance didn’t last as long as the factory team. So I’d welcome it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement