Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

BandMember wrote: »
    Damn! Can't believe that I missed these shows! :(

YouTube!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

Anyone watch the end of Wisting?
    I thought it was structured rather oddly. Seemed to peak around episode 5, and then rather than finish there it went on for another less satisfying storyline.

The characters could have been more fleshed out and Wisting himself only seemed to win a physical duel in the final episode.

I'd watch a season two but would like to see a different setting, and some more likeable characters.

I haven't watched it yet - I recorded it though.

In relation to your comment I read the following on another forum.
    I just looked up the Wisting books and bizarrely it seems that the first 5 eps were an adaptation of book no. 4 (The Caveman) and the last 5 eps were book no. 3 (The Hunting Dogs). That's why Torunn already has the baby in earlier episodes but is pregnant in the latter ones!? Why on earth did they broadcast them in reverse?

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2060666/subtitled-drama-typically-european-crime-dramas-on-bbc4/p67

post #1659

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Watching 'This Life'. I don't think it's aged very well. All a bit cringe and some of the acting is dodge, though that could be down to the dreadful dialogue. Still, it was groundbreaking in its day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Watching 'This Life'. I don't think it's aged very well. All a bit cringe and some of the acting is dodge, though that could be down to the dreadful dialogue. Still, it was groundbreaking in its day.

Bit biased here, but totally disagree. I think its aged really well. But I was obsessed with the show the first time around and loving catching up with it again!

Bit biased here, but totally disagree. I think its aged really well. But I was obsessed with the show the first time around and loving catching up with it again!

I was obsessed with it too, which is why I'm a bit surprised with my reaction to it. Maybe it improves in later seasons.

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »
    Clive James had a way of writing and presenting that always appealed to me.

BBC2 showed his Postcards from Sydney and London shortly after he died. Postcard from LA was on last Saturday.
    Postcard from Berlin is on next Saturday and Postcard from Rome is on the following Saturday.

Watched Berlin today. Really good. Was on my own but laughed out loud a fair number of times. So clever with his comments and observations. Mad to think he’s gone.

Btw thoroughly recommend his book “Unreliable Memoirs”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I was obsessed with it too, which is why I'm a bit surprised with my reaction to it. Maybe it improves in later seasons.

I definitely remember the later ones as more slick, even camera wise. But how it will look today I'm not sure.

Warren :(

Fleabag is remarkably like Anna.

Fleabag is remarkably like Anna.

Phoebe Waller- whatsherface may be feeling a tad uncomfortable right now.

Anna is more likeable though.

I wonder if they (or RTE) will ever repeat the Ken Burns Country Music documentary series,it was superb and really opened my mind to country music, which I had always dismissed before this, with the exception of Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson!

Hidden S2 starts on Sat 15th Feb at 9pm.

As this will be a repeat of the episode shown earlier on BBC Wales (Tuesday 11th Feb at 9pm) there will only be one episode per Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Monday 2nd March 9pm - New documentary series Age of the Image from BBC4 regular James Fox.
    Art historian James Fox explores how the power of images has transformed the modern world, beginning with the explosion of scientific and technological advances at the start of the 20th century that created radical new ways of looking at the world.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

has season 2 be shown yet ?

Hidden S2 starts on Sat 15th Feb at 9pm.

As this will be a repeat of the episode shown earlier on BBC Wales (Tuesday 11th Feb at 9pm) there will only be one episode per Saturday.

Series 1 was good but this series is so slow. I've given up on it. Two weeks ago they were 20min into the episode before anything happened to move the story along.

Series 1 was good but this series is so slow. I've given up on it. Two weeks ago they were 20min into the episode before anything happened to move the story along.

I gave up on that after the first episode. The murder seemed to have been committed by the three young people that drive around together and meantime the police were about to follow the false lead of Karl I think.

BBC4 have yet to show their Norwegian drama series "State of Happiness" which they bought last year. They have also recently bought two more series.
    BBC Four has inked deals with DCD Rights and Fremantle to acquire the UK rights to Australian drama series The Secrets She Keeps and French drama The Last Wave, respectively. Both series are expected to air in the channel’s Saturday night foreign drama slot later this year.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2020/02/bbc-four-acquires-uk-rights-to-the-secrets-she-keeps-the-last-wave/?fbclid=IwAR1eT_JdLcmzJNRjNocB6FqZ6Zh0KJcUOoAlHIHug90fZjNm4bTz0EJIyn8

Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema

New three part series starts on Thursday 19th March. First episode is about Superheroes followed by British History and lastly Spies.
    From flying saviour figures in primary-coloured costumes to brooding nocturnal vigilantes, the superhero movie has spawned many record-breaking global hits. It has also provoked a backlash from some leading film-makers, yet superheroes have had a relationship with cinema that stretches back to the first half of the 20th century, and the genre taps deeply into timeless themes and storytelling traditions.

Drawing on a range of films, past and present, Mark Kermode explores the key elements of superhero movies, including origins, superpowers, costumes, secret identities, villains and sacrifice, to show why they resonate with audiences across the world. Mark also addresses criticisms of the genre, and offers his own thoughts on how superhero movies must adapt for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Kemps: All True coming later this year

If it wasn't for the Welsh descended gag-meister this would not be worth watching other than through fingers but as it is this should be a hoot.
    Spandau Ballet global superstars Gary and Martin Kemp are to star in a new one-off spoof documentary, playing themselves recording a new album.

Made by BBC Studios, The Kemps: All True will see Rhys Thomas
    OBE
    interview the pair about their lives and careers following Spandau Ballet’s 40th anniversary celebrations in December. As part of Spandau Ballet, the pair have sold more than 25 million albums with 23 hit singles worldwide, and in 2011 they received a BMI award after hit single True became one of the most played songs in US history.

As well as looking back at their musical history, The Kemps: All True sees the Kemps other passions: Martin attempts to launch a new film franchise and Gary plans a new Vegan meat-substitute, Wonge.

Perry Benson (The Real McCoy, Operation Good Guys, Benidorm, Oh You Rang M'Lord?) features as their brother ‘Ross Kemp’. The Kemps: All True also features Simon Day (The Life Of Rock with Brian Pern, The Fast Show), Anna Maxwell Martin (Line Of Duty, Motherland), Daniel Mays (Line Of Duty, Good Omens), Alan Ford (Snatch, Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels), Shirlie Holliman (Pepsi & Shirlie), Lucy Montgomery (Tracey Ullman's Show, The Life Of Rock With Brian Pern, The Fast Show), Tony Way (Extras, Black Books, After Life) and Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who).

An ad on BBC1 after The Split says that the Norwegian thriller series Twin is coming soon.

The current Saturday series Hidden finishes this week.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6710454/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭cozar

Hidden is just dragging on. should have be done after 4 episodes lost interest after that.

I've become very picky about the subtitled dramas, unless I'm confident of it I won't bother, there are now too many getting thrown about. Twin looks decent albeit more dismal blue light ambience!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What I used to do was series link and wait until there was a good vibe about it then binge and catchup.

That French series on Mars killed off my enthusiasm for a while

• Advertisement

I liked that one, it was different enough and very short!

The current Saturday series Hidden finishes this week.

Sat 28th has Inspector Montalbano - A Delicate Matter (Series 4 - Episode 1 of 4) on at 9.

First shown Sat 19th Aug 2017 and repeated on Sat 15th Jun 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08nqzt1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I liked that one, it was different enough and very short!
    I did get a laugh getting someone to look at the pyramid on Mars
    camera zooms out and it's the size of a matchbox

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

John Williams Film Prom on now

All the classics

Twin starts on Saturday 4th April 9pm with a double-bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

cozar wrote: »
    Hidden is just dragging on. should have be done after 4 episodes lost interest after that.

Season 2 was poor i thought but it was never going to live up to season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

John Williams Film Prom on now

All the classics

but no close encounters of the third kind
    :confused:

At 11pm this evening is Clives James Postcard from Shanghai China.

It was filmed in May 1989 and seems to be the last of these repeats for the time being.

At 11pm this evening is Clives James Postcard from Shanghai China.

It was filmed in May 1989 and seems to be the last of these repeats for the time being.

I've watched the entire series. Sublime writing, fascinating viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Surreal watching people, in China, protesting and the authorities not lifting a finger.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement