Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

brian_t wrote: »
    BBC Four has acquired ten-part Norwegian crime drama Wisting.

The drama, which stars Sven Nordin and Carrie-Anne Moss, is based on the best-selling books The Caveman and The Hunting Dogs by writer Jørn Lier Horst. Set in the unique and stunning landscape of Norway, this series follows homicide detective William Wisting as he wrestles with the most challenging and shocking case of his career: a wanted American serial killer preying amongst them.

The article concludes

This 10 x 45’ ....... will hit UK screens later this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/bbc-four-wisting

Starts on Saturday 28th December at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Would anyone who watched and caught the last few mins of The Sinner tell me what happened at the very end? I saw as far as where Julien was sent to a facility in New York State, what happened then?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Bredabe wrote: »
    Would anyone who watched and caught the last few mins of The Sinner tell me what happened at the very end? I saw as far as where Julien was sent to a facility in New York State, what happened then?

:eek: Don't tell ME!! I've recorded it and haven't watched any of it yet!! Have to avoid this thread for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Any detectorist fans watching worzel gummage? Written, directed & starring mckenzie crook, looks to be set in the same locations and the soundtrack is very similar too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The music is by a band called The Unthanks who also did the song about the magpies in the last season of The Detectorists

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    The music is by a band called The Unthanks who also did the song about the magpies in the last season of The Detectorists

Yeah, really cool sound

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

peteeeed wrote: »
    Any detectorist fans watching worzel gummage? Written, directed & starring mckenzie crook, looks to be set in the same locations and the soundtrack is very similar too

I watched that earlier and loved every minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Feck it and feck it again. Set it to series record and herself turned all the plugs off before setting off to her mams on xmas day.
    Will it be repeated?

Have to say that I loved The Detectorists. Favourite program of the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Stewball

brian_t wrote: »
    BBC Four has acquired ten-part Norwegian crime drama Wisting.

The drama, which stars Sven Nordin and Carrie-Anne Moss, is based on the best-selling books The Caveman and The Hunting Dogs by writer Jørn Lier Horst. Set in the unique and stunning landscape of Norway, this series follows homicide detective William Wisting as he wrestles with the most challenging and shocking case of his career: a wanted American serial killer preying amongst them.

The article concludes

This 10 x 45’ ....... will hit UK screens later this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/bbc-four-wisting

This starts tonight.
    Anyone seen it - is it worth investing in for the next 5 weeks?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Feck it and feck it again. Set it to series record and herself turned all the plugs off before setting off to her mams on xmas day.
    Will it be repeated?

Have to say that I loved The Detectorists. Favourite program of the last few years.

It was announced over the final credits that it's available for pre order on dvd so might not get a repeat for a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

New to BBC Four Stuff coming up

Sunday 29th 21:00 Lost Home Movies of Nazi Germany
    Series 1, Episode 1
    1/2 Amateur footage that offers new insights into life in Germany during World War II.

Monday 30th 21:00 Lost Home Movies of Nazi Germany
    Series 1, Episode 1
    2/2 Amateur footage that offers new insights into life in Germany during World War II.

Tuesday 7th 21:00 Storyville
    Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle, Episode 1
    1/2 Why did Jim Jones, leader of the People's Temple, compel his members to commit suicide?

Wednesday 8th 21:00 Storyville
    Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle, Episode 1
    2/2 Why did Jim Jones, leader of the People's Temple, compel his members to commit suicide?

Thursday 16th 21:00
    Einstein's Quantum Riddle
    The story of quantum entanglement, perhaps the strangest concept in science.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Stewball wrote: »
    This starts tonight.
    First episode was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

This starts tonight.

I liked it, will watch the rest of it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was decent. I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This starts tonight.

Thought it was grand. Nothing special, once you've seen one Nordic drama you've nearly seen them all, and there's been so many of them. But at this time of year with not a whole lot else on will probably stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Anyone know if they will repeat first 2 episodes? Forgot to record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

Bredabe wrote: »

I don't think it's spoilers to say that;

You missed two scenes. One the detective took Julien on a day-trip to the waterfalls where he said "Wow, my Mum would have loved this" and also the woman returned to the still smoking ruin of the building.

Wisting is not repeated by BBC4.

It probably will be but not unless and until a second series is bought. I've noticed the BBC are now doing late night catch ups for more than Peaky Blinders!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I noticed an Irish connection in the credits for Wisting, lists Irish location services and Philip Lee solicitors, presume it’s for some tax credit purposes. IMDB notes Dublin as a filming location. Didn’t jump out at me last night so maybe it’s to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭cozar

cotton wrote: »
    Anyone know if they will repeat first 2 episodes? Forgot to record it.

Missed 1st episode but caught up fast enough it’s pretty generic but good enough to series link. It’s basically catch the serial killer in 6 episodes set in snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Umm I wonder if the beeb ever did a documentary on the Irish famine

Re Wisting - big Bill and Ted style "whoa!" for the early plot twist.

Rhys (tenuous link BBC Four favourite Brian Pern) Thomas (writer not rugby player) is on BBC Two at 11 PM with his annual review of the year - these are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mfceiling wrote: »
    Set it to series record and herself turned all the plugs off before setting off to her mams on xmas day.

Grounds for divorce, that :P

You'd think 40 years after the introduction of the video recorder to Ireland, people would have figured it out by now... you have to leave it plugged in... :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Just watched first 4 eps of wisting, the 4th episode really gathered pace, I'm really enjoying it

Re Wisting - big Bill and Ted style "whoa!" for the early plot twist.

Except it wasn't! :mad: Don't like that sort of sleight of hand I have to say. Wistings kids are well worth kidnapping and killing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Storyville tonight 9.00pm

Jonestown:Terror in the jungle
    The story of 1970s cult leader Jim Jones. The series explores how he was forced to flee the US, establishing a settlement in a remote part of Guyana, and the violent end of the project in 1978. After cult members opened fire on a US delegation, killing five people, Jones persuaded 918 of his followers to join him in mass suicide - including 304 children

what a looney!

Incredible and incredibly grim, impossible to really unpick such an environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

I never really thought about this event much, despite seeing it referenced to many times in other places.
    I have only watched ep 1 so far, but its some proper crazy stuff. Documentary is very good though and gives it some real depth.

Shocking to see how many young families there were involved, again having not overly learned or thought about it before it really hit home the scale of the tragedy. That said its easy enough to see how they might be lured into the idea of the life down there, but its still crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Amazing documentary, (up there with OJ Simpson)

I knew about the mass suicide, but i never knew about the shootout at the airstrip with the congressman being killed.

The recording at the end was chilling hearing the children wailing in the background, i wonder did Jones record the mass suicide on purpose for the authorities to find?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Another Slow Journey tonight ...

8pm-10.30pm All Aboard! New Zealand by Rail, Sea And Land
    Cameras take an epic overland journey, by train, boat and car through New Zealand's breathtaking landscapes. The trek beings in Auckland, but the city soon gives way to rolling pastures, volcanic extremes, tranquil waterways, the snowcapped grandeur of the Southern Alps and the beauty of Fiordland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dl2m

Advertisement