Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I've watched the entire series. Sublime writing, fascinating viewing.

Agree. Of all the cities Shanghai looks very last century. At least Clive lived long enough to see its transformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭cozar

Twin , worth a watch , even for the scenery. :)

cozar wrote: »
    Twin , worth a watch , even for the scenery. :)

Great story, unbelievable coincidence at the beginning, definitely worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Great story, unbelievable coincidence at the beginning, definitely worth watching.

Yeah, it was good. I think I'd rate it 6.5/10, maybe a 7. I'm glad the episodes are 45mins.

I'll give it another couple of episodes and see if there are any plot twists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wolf Hall is being re-shown from Sunday at 9 PM, if you didn't see it the first time round do so this time. Was their a more canny* political operator then Thomas Cromwell? Hiding in the shadows and plain sight seeing all and taking notes.

*okay he still got offed by his king in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hey, spoilers :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Was their a more canny* political operator then Thomas Cromwell? Hiding in the shadows and plain sight seeing all and taking notes.
    Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord ;)

Would make a very good documentary. Untrusted but too useful to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hey, spoilers :pac:

Steer clear of The Tudors & A Man For All Seasons so :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Steer clear of The Tudors & A Man For All Seasons so :)

And Carry On Henry!

Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord ;)

Would make a very good documentary. Untrusted but too useful to get rid of.

He just refined Cromwell's blueprint! Would make a better blockbuster drama series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

State Of Happiness seems to up next when Twin ends.
    It’s the summer of 1969 in the small coastal town of Stavanger, Northern Europe. Stavanger lives off fish, and the North Sea is emptying out. No more cod, no more herring. Something has to happen. The town is in crisis.

International oil companies have been test drilling for years, but nothing has been found and they are in the process of leaving. Phillips Petroleum, however, are contracted to drill a final hole.

The night before Christmas 1969, the gas flare at the Ocean Viking is lit. Phillips has found the largest sub-sea oil basin in history. And everything is about to change.

Norway’s oil was never owned privately, the state kept it, and in 1969, Norwegians were wealthy. State Of Happiness explores how it happened, how much individuals are willing to give up for the greater good, and how much society is willing to give up for each and everyone else.

The eight episodes cover the years 1969-1972 and follows stories of four young people growing up in a country that, in a matter of a few years, will change from being a small fishing nation and European outpost, to becoming a leading oil nation. The series shows how these four people, their families and relationships, are affected by this dramatic growth.

Bob Ross is being re shown on BBC Four at the moment, I'm sure his Joy of Painting was on RTE way back in the 80s. A very restful 30 minutes, though like a few of these "tv artists" every picture is essentially the same, just with a different arrangement of elements :).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BBC4 are showing the 2018 Anthony Hopkins modern adaptation of King Lear tonight at 9pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b57d0w

I don't think this has been repeated on the BBC since it's first airing in 2018

A new three part series on Australian cinema starts Sunday 9 PM. I expect it'll be a respectable history unlike "Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!" (which is well worth a watch).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Bob Ross is being re shown on BBC Four at the moment, I'm sure his Joy of Painting was on RTE way back in the 80s. A very restful 30 minutes, though like a few of these "tv artists" every picture is essentially the same, just with a different arrangement of elements :).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross
    There's plenty of Bob Ross on Twitch, for plenty of chill painting!
    https://www.twitch.tv/bobross

They have only just started State Of Happiness which will continue for the next three Saturdays and they are already starting promoting Cardinal series 4 as coming soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Skid X wrote: »
    BBC4 are showing the 2018 Anthony Hopkins modern adaptation of King Lear tonight at 9pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b57d0w

I don't think this has been repeated on the BBC since it's first airing in 2018
    Not a fan of Anthony Hopkins for some reason.

But I have a BBC recording of that other King Lear, Akira Kurosawa's RAN

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Stewball

brian_t wrote: »
    They have only just started State Of Happiness which will continue for the next three Saturdays and they are already starting promoting Cardinal series 4 as coming soon.

Any chance they'll show the previous series' of Cardinal?

Stewball wrote: »

Unlikely I'd say. They repeated the previous sesaon of Spiral before showing the most recent one but that would have been a more popular series.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08cj57y

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

A new three part series on Australian cinema starts Sunday 9 PM. I expect it'll be a respectable history unlike "Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!" (which is well worth a watch).

It was very good actually. I'd definitely recommend it, I'll be tuning in to the next two episodes.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but Ben MacIntyre's excellent documentary ''Double Agent: The Eddie Chapman Story'' is on BBC4 tonight at 9pm.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but Ben MacIntyre's excellent documentary ''Double Agent: The Eddie Chapman Story'' is on BBC4 tonight at 9pm.

Haven't seen the documentary but know his story, he was the epitome of a"colourful character". :)

Will definitely watch, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

brian_t wrote: »
    State Of Happiness seems to up next when Twin ends.

Really enjoying this, very interesting. I read somewhere that they were the second poorest country in Europe after Albania before they found oil.

BoroMan32 wrote: »

and the feature film "The Man Who Wasn't There" was shown on BBC Two on Saturday. Two are in full retro mode in the afternoons if you a fan of 50/60s cinema.

State Of Happiness is very enjoyable, it has an expansive confidence which I was not expecting of a Norwegian drama.

Life Drawing on BBC Four tonight at 8 till 10 there's a live cam on BBC RB and you can draw along with the tweeter feed! I might actually have a go at this, used to be handy with a pencil when I was young.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/lifedrawinglive?src=hashtag_click

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Convenient excuse for them to hang it on, when I'm sure they've been angling to bin it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Stewball wrote: »

Saw an ad for this last night, looks like it will be shown on BBC2 instead of BBC4

Edit: no date announced yet.

• Advertisement

No one will be shocked if this is the case. You can't run a station on less then 50m a year they've seen the budget halve in less than a decade with new programming reduced to a trickle.

The trick for the BBC is going to be retaining the integrity of Friday and Saturday nights programming on Two.

If I were the BBC I'd actually get a move on, with Covid 19 having punched a big hole in the schedules at will last a year or more they can get transfering all the arts and sciences stuff along with Friday Night Music on a Friday and the imported drama series on a Saturday without much trouble I'd have thought.

Advertisement