Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yep! Spiral AND Detectorists - both brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭cozar

Spiral as good as ever but where’s Tintin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭volchitsa

cozar wrote: »
    Spiral as good as ever but where’s Tintin?

He got a transfer to a different service when he discovered that Laure had covered for Gilou's dishonesty over the gold bullion IIRC. Also because he learned they were together and I think he was quite jealous. But his parting shot about corruption must have pierced them both to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

BBC Four has acquired ten-part Norwegian crime drama Wisting.

The drama, which stars Sven Nordin and Carrie-Anne Moss, is based on the best-selling books The Caveman and The Hunting Dogs by writer Jørn Lier Horst. Set in the unique and stunning landscape of Norway, this series follows homicide detective William Wisting as he wrestles with the most challenging and shocking case of his career: a wanted American serial killer preying amongst them.

The article concludes

This 10 x 45’ ....... will hit UK screens later this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/bbc-four-wisting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Big week coming up on Four - some new stuff!
    Monday 21:00
    Storyville
    The PM, the Playboy and the Wolf of Wall Street
    The world's biggest white-collar heist, a US$3.5bn theft from a Malaysian wealth fund.
    Tuesday 20:30 (90 mins)
    Spotlight on the Troubles: A Secret History
    7/7 The End Game. How the IRA's war stopped after 25 years of conflict.
    Wednesday 21:00
    Korea: the Never Ending War
    Despite a truce in 1953, the Korean War has never officially come to an end.
    (followed by film spy drama set in Korea during the 20s - Age of Shadows)
    Thursday 22:00
    Storyville
    On the President's Orders
    A searing account of President Duterte's bloody campaign against drugs in the Philippines.
    (Prof Jim is on at 9 PM with a two part repeat - The Secrets of Quantum Physics)
    Friday 21:30
    K-Pop Idols: Inside the Hit Factory
    Is the K-Pop phenomenon ready to challenge the West's domination of the music industry?
    Saturday 21.00
    Spiral
    Sunday 22.00
    The Spy Gone North
    A soldier goes undercover to find out if the North Koreans are developing nuclear weapons.
    This seems to be pretty good judging by the reviews I could find

• Advertisement

Welcome back Tintin 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Big week coming up on Four - some new stuff!

(followed by film spy drama set in Korea during the 20s - Age of Shadows)

(Prof Jim is on at 9 PM with a two part repeat - The Secrets of Quantum Physics)

This seems to be pretty good judging by the reviews I could find

Great work

Welcome back Tintin ��

When he told Laure and Gilou not to fk up in their relationship, my heart broke a little.

For anyone following this on BBC4 there is an extra "Behind the Scenes" programme on Thursday on BBC One NI which will not be shown on BBC4.

Documentary revealing how the critically acclaimed TV series Spotlight on the Troubles: A Secret History was made. Reporters and producers reveal how over the space of two years they tracked down new stories and found secret papers, while also persuading people to speak out.

brian_t wrote: »

For anyone following this on BBC4 there is an extra "Behind the Scenes" programme on Thursday on BBC One NI which will not be shown on BBC4.

Documentary revealing how the critically acclaimed TV series Spotlight on the Troubles: A Secret History was made. Reporters and producers reveal how over the space of two years they tracked down new stories and found secret papers, while also persuading people to speak out.

Excellent series, even though I have issues with one of the presenters, I am still riveted. A lot of information we were never told over those horrible horrible years. Didn't know about the extra programme, thanks.

• Advertisement

Brilliant episodes tonight spiral..... 6 more to go!

RICH HALL WILL BE SHOUTING ABOUT THE COLD WAR TUESDAY AT 9 PM :)

p07sdnnz.jpg

Also Bill Pullman is back in series two of The Sinner soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Spiral 7 ends tonight.
    Good news is that they have just finished filming Series 8.
    Bad news is that its 2 years away from us....

We are on tenterhooks over Spiral, just waiting for 9 o'clock! Two years is too long to wait for series 8. When this series began I was finding it hard to remember the last series.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    We are on tenterhooks over Spiral, just waiting for 9 o'clock! Two years is too long to wait for series 8. When this series began I was finding it hard to remember the last series.

Can’t believe it’s the final 2 tonight. So looking forward to it. Enjoy!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Spiral 7 ends tonight.
    Good news is that they have just finished filming Series 8.
    Bad news is that its 2 years away from us....

At least there is another series. 2 years though that’s too long. Will be watching this series again having forgotten it all by 2021!

That's a long time for a series which has BBC Four in the credits!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Best series of Spiral so far. Not sure how they're going to match it let alone top it. Absolutely the best thing on TV and worth waiting for (I will no doubt be popping up on this thread every few months grumbling about having to wait so long, though)

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Best series of Spiral so far. Not sure how they're going to match it let alone top it. Absolutely the best thing on TV and worth waiting for (I will no doubt be popping up on this thread every few months grumbling about having to wait so long, though)

Absolutely agree!

At least there is another series. 2 years though that’s too long. Will be watching this series again having forgotten it all by 2021!

Surely that has to be the end of Spiral now?
    No Gilou, no Roban, and enough hopefulness for Laure about her private life possibly getting sort of back on track for it to be an actual ending and not a cliffhanger?

(I've put that in a Spoiler just in case anyone hasn't seen the last epi yet. I loved it BTW, not complaining, just thought it seemed like a natural ending. Alas.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Is BBC4 really the place for twice nightly repeats of totp?? ...I mean they keep showing the same edition!

frosty123 wrote: »
    Is BBC4 really the place for twice nightly repeats of totp?? ...I mean they keep showing the same edition!

Yes it's getting on my nerves too - and I'm the target audience, those were my teenage years!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

frosty123 wrote: »

And to think we once waited a whole week to in tense anticipation for what might have been a 20 second glimpse of our favourite band's video.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Stewball

The constant 1am repeats of Peaky Blinders is getting annoying now. It was great for a catch up in the lead up to season 5.

Any chance they could start showing other shows from scratch in that time slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

RICH HALL WILL BE SHOUTING ABOUT THE COLD WAR TUESDAY AT 9 PM

Not him. He's a comedien isn't he? I have seen him in many programmes and not even once was he vaguely interesting.

A few new to BBC Four programmes

Tonight
    22:00 The Worlds of Ursula K Le Guin
    An intimate insight into the real and imaginary worlds of author Ursula K Le Guin.

Monday
    21:00 Storyville One Child Nation
    The impact of China's one-child policy, abandoned in 2015, on the country's people.

Tuesday
    21:00 Greg Davies: Looking for Kes
    Greg Davies goes to Barnsley to meet those intimately tied to Barry Hines's classic novel.

22:00 Kes - Reimagined
    The heartrending coming-of-age story of boy and bird, powerfully retold through dance.

Wednesday
    21:00 Digging for Britain Series 8, West
    1/4 A secret location in the Cotswolds gives up a very precious and fragile artefact.

Thursday - a repeat but well worth seeing esp if you missed the previous showings
    21:00 Bob Monkhouse: The Last Stand
    Bob Monkhouse entertains a room of comedians with stand-up, chat and a comedy masterclass. (R)

and

22:00 Talking Comedy Bob Monkhouse
    A look back at gag-master Bob Monkhouse's appearances on a selection of BBC talk shows. (R)

Friday, Ken Burns epic series are worth watching even if the theme isn't obviously attractive to you. Worth noting that again the BBC are screening the chopped down international edition (on PBS they are two hours each)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Music_(miniseries)
    21:30 Country Music by Ken Burns
    Series 1, The Rub (Beginnings-1933)
    1/9 How so-called hillbilly music reached new listeners and launched its first stars' careers.

22:20 Country Music by Ken Burns
    Series 1, Hard Times (1933-1945)
    2/9 How Nashville was transformed into Music City as America fell for Texas Swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

21:00 Bob Monkhouse: The Last Stand
    Bob Monkhouse entertains a room of comedians with stand-up, chat and a comedy masterclass. (R)

if you haven't seen this - its well worth a watch.

great doc

Vic & Bob’s Big Night Out returns for a second series on Wednesday 27th November at 10pm.

It will be followed by the first two episodes of series one of Mortimer And
    Whitehouse: Gone Fishing.

Stewball wrote: »
    The constant 1am repeats of Peaky Blinders is getting annoying now. It was great for a catch up in the lead up to season 5.

It has been repeated once a month since June. It starts again for the seventh time on Sunday 15th of this month.

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    That's great news,my sky planner doesn't go that far! Wonder if its the [Detectorists] Christmas special they are showing first before series 3,which was between series 2 and 3!

The Christmas special is on Christmas Day at 9.40pm.

Advertisement